[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Rockets sign Sura and Ward
Author Thread
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
8/9/2004  3:13 PM
Nice to see Rockets adding some much needed depth. Hopefully Ward plays well under JVG like he used too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1855721

[Edited by - s3231 on 08/09/2004 15:14:34]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/9/2004  3:33 PM
cool, all they need to do now is bring back cassell and we're looking a florida state 10 year reunion...
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/9/2004  3:49 PM
huh. Sura will be a great addition to the Rockets. I'm shocked that JVG would sign Charlie, I thought he hated him.

I think the Rockets will be a 4 or 5 seed next year. I'm not a huge Tmac fan, but I like JVG and Yao a lot. And Sura is pretty unselfish, his ridiculous triple double push for new contract stuff in April notwithstanding.

¿ △ ?
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/9/2004  4:59 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

cool, all they need to do now is bring back cassell and we're looking a florida state 10 year reunion...

Yeah they did play in Florida State....Funny.....

I think it's a good situation for both. Ward definately can knock down the three and play hustle defense.

I'm a big Bob Sura fan.....dude has an underrated handle and scoring ability.

I don't like T-Mac.....but Houston has a good a chance as anyone....They don't scare me though.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
8/9/2004  6:10 PM
When did ward play well ever? and no van gundy doesn't hate ward just most of us fans .
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
8/9/2004  6:25 PM
Posted by BigRedDog:

When did ward play well ever? and no van gundy doesn't hate ward just most of us fans .

Yeah Ward sucked. I got tired of watching him play defense, drawing charges, and knocking down three's when the rest of the team would go into a dry spell. What a lousy Knick he was.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/9/2004  6:43 PM
I'm in disbelief reading all of these comments on Ward. How can you not like the guy. He left it on the court every single night.

Wish him nothing but the best in Houston.

[Edited by - MaTT4281 on 08/09/2004 18:44:07]
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
8/9/2004  8:24 PM
As a back-up pg he's ok., as a starter he sucked and one of the main reasons we never went further. When do you recall him ever shutting down an opposing pg? never. when do you recall a "gary payton" type , whos playing well , come into the garden and have a lousy game because of wards defense? about as often as ward penetrated and dished off to a teammate. I recall on the rare times he managed to penetrate he would throw up some wild shot that never came close.
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
s3231
Member: #544
USA
8/9/2004  8:31 PM
"As a back-up pg he's ok., as a starter he sucked and one of the main reasons we never went further. When do you recall him ever shutting down an opposing pg? never. when do you recall a "gary payton" type , whos playing well , come into the garden and have a lousy game because of wards defense? about as often as ward penetrated and dished off to a teammate. I recall on the rare times he managed to penetrate he would throw up some wild shot that never came close."

Ward was a decent starting PG for us. He was never a star, but he hustled his ass off every game taking charges and diving for loose balls. Obviously he is starting to decline with age, however, the guy can still play. Good pickup for Houston especially since they had no PG whatsoever.

[Edited by - s3231 on 08/09/2004 20:33:39]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
jazz74
Member: #371
8/9/2004  8:43 PM
Posted by BigRedDog:

As a back-up pg he's ok., as a starter he sucked and one of the main reasons we never went further. When do you recall him ever shutting down an opposing pg? never. when do you recall a "gary payton" type , whos playing well , come into the garden and have a lousy game because of wards defense? about as often as ward penetrated and dished off to a teammate. I recall on the rare times he managed to penetrate he would throw up some wild shot that never came close.

as a starter, did'nt ward lead us to the eastern conference finals in 2000? was'nt he an intricate part in leading the team to the finals in 99? he is not great but very few point guards in the nba can say that they were running point for an nba finals team. ward knows how to win and was clutch at key situations. true, his last two years with the knicks were dreadful but do not overlook the fact that he gave his all to the team. respect him much more than childs or eisley.
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
8/9/2004  9:56 PM
Ward is one of my all time favorite Knicks. He epitomizes everything I have loved about the Knicks. There have been a lot of games in the past few years where Charlie and Kurt seemed like the only players giving it their all.

I was sorry to see him go, and I’ll be sorry to see Kurt go one day. We can fill every roster spot with superstars, but I’d still prefer to watch a team of players that get by on determination, hustle, and heart.

Ewing, Oak, Starks, LJ, Doc, Harper, Mase, Charlie, Kurt, Camby, Spree! And sometimes Allan. These players are the reason I love the Knicks! God I miss our tough teams.

Man... I hope we get to see Sweetney and Dampier on the floor together in the same uniform this season!

OT: Rockets sign Sura and Ward

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy