[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks vs Celtic: Christmas Day
Author Thread
JesseDark
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #467
12/25/2016  3:18 PM
Knicks shouldn't feel good about this game. They couldn't stop Isiah Thomas and had to work for everything they got.
Bring back dee-fense
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/25/2016  3:25 PM
JesseDark wrote:Knicks shouldn't feel good about this game. They couldn't stop Isiah Thomas and had to work for everything they got.

They could have won despite that. Boston got some uncommon 3pt shots and nearly lost. I think the Knicks LEARN from intense games like this. They hung in there with a top team that's been together longer!

Not just the Knicks players but also Jeff has things to fix with his coaching. Still tinkering with his rotations and the overall style of play. This is still A PROCESS.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/25/2016  3:42 PM
nixluva wrote:
JesseDark wrote:Knicks shouldn't feel good about this game. They couldn't stop Isiah Thomas and had to work for everything they got.

They could have won despite that. Boston got some uncommon 3pt shots and nearly lost. I think the Knicks LEARN from intense games like this. They hung in there with a top team that's been together longer!

Not just the Knicks players but also Jeff has things to fix with his coaching. Still tinkering with his rotations and the overall style of play. This is still A PROCESS.

kp, melo, and Rose combine to take 60 of the 87 shot attempts, they also had 5 measly assist between them, Thats street ball

ES
nixluva
USA
12/25/2016  3:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/25/2016  3:48 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

kp, melo, and Rose combine to take 60 of the 87 shot attempts, they also had 5 measly assist between them, Thats street ball

Don't like that but great defensive teams do that to you. Despite all that the game was tied and it took a great 3pt shot and tough defense by the Celtics to win. Knicks almost won this against an Elite D and a playoff team that added an All Star big. #PROGRESS

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

12/25/2016  4:40 PM
Team still has holes to fill. I still feel we need to add some more pieces next offseason during the draft and free agency before we could really make a deeper run. Obviously the defense is a major issue
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

12/25/2016  4:52 PM
This team could really use No Harkless instead of Lance and I an upgrade at back up point. You can't get really mad at Jennings because of the price but he is a liability defensively and when he has his Milwaukee flash backs he starts jacking up silly sjots
nixluva
USA
12/25/2016  5:31 PM
I think it's such a mix of things with this team. They don't do enough screens to help slow down the defense and open up easy shots. If you watch Boston they screen ALL DAY which is why they get so many good shots. Isaiah is using screens to drive and shoot and our top guys tend to go SOLO for points as opposed to using screens for Catch and Shoot looks or to penetrate and kick.

Another thing I feel is KP has to stop passing up open shots he can make! KP should be getting more screens so he can take more open catch n shoot looks. Watching today you would think we don't really have shooters. Melo had too many tough shots when a simple screen could get him clean looks.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

12/25/2016  5:41 PM
nixluva wrote:I think it's such a mix of things with this team. They don't do enough screens to help slow down the defense and open up easy shots. If you watch Boston they screen ALL DAY which is why they get so many good shots. Isaiah is using screens to drive and shoot and our top guys tend to go SOLO for points as opposed to using screens for Catch and Shoot looks or to penetrate and kick.

Another thing I feel is KP has to stop passing up open shots he can make! KP should be getting more screens so he can take more open catch n shoot looks. Watching today you would think we don't really have shooters. Melo had too many tough shots when a simple screen could get him clean looks.

I agree. Jeff somehow needs to be the one coach that gets through to him that he needs to change up his game against certain teams and defenders. He basically needs to play a lot like he did in the second half. He was moving a lot without the ball and when he did have the ball he was the ball handler in the PnR game. Actually, I think Jeff needs to do away with the two PG line ups to close and just use Melo as the other primary ball handler that way they can space the floor with Lee and Holiday f he wants to go small.

stopstandthere
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #6004

12/25/2016  7:46 PM
Too many turnovers which this team needs to fix.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
12/25/2016  8:02 PM
Some key missed calls. The Horford block off the glass and a no call too. Chnag e the game and momentum.
Caseloads
Member: #41
12/25/2016  8:41 PM
MS wrote:It's not a talent issue.

Today came down to effort. Boston fights through screens, makes you uncomfortable and cuts hard on every possession.

Isiah Thomas might be the toughest cover in the league and his guys know if they cut hard they are going to get the ball. Which happens to be the opposite with Rose and Melo when they have the ball. Heads down far too often looking to get theirs.

Noah would and should get easy buckets if these guys were looking for the bigs cutting.

Crowder and Smart just hit you and hit you and Melo tried to body them and took a lot of tough shot he didn't need too.

There isn't trust out there.

The ball hogging and iso is there.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/25/2016  11:01 PM
Caseloads wrote:

Today came down to effort. Boston fights through screens, makes you uncomfortable and cuts hard on every possession.

Isiah Thomas might be the toughest cover in the league and his guys know if they cut hard they are going to get the ball. Which happens to be the opposite with Rose and Melo when they have the ball. Heads down far too often looking to get theirs.

Noah would and should get easy buckets if these guys were looking for the bigs cutting.

Crowder and Smart just hit you and hit you and Melo tried to body them and took a lot of tough shot he didn't need too.

If you replace Melo with some lesser but 2-way player like for example Igudala, D Green, Crowder and this team is an instant contender.
Everyone knows this and there is no way out of this situation.
It is not just no-trade but also this kind of players are very difficult to come by.
Melo still can give you a couple of great performances here and there but it is not enough to lift the status of the team out of mediocrity.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/26/2016  1:29 AM
arkrud wrote:
Caseloads wrote:

If you replace Melo with some lesser but 2-way player like for example Igudala, D Green, Crowder and this team is an instant contender.
Everyone knows this and there is no way out of this situation.
It is not just no-trade but also this kind of players are very difficult to come by.
Melo still can give you a couple of great performances here and there but it is not enough to lift the status of the team out of mediocrity.

I thought Iggy was the perfect compliment to Amare. But amare onlylazted 3/4 of a season. I thinkDrose and KP compliment Melo. I think theguys you mentioned compliment Melo. I don't think they replace Me!o.

you m

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
12/26/2016  2:23 AM
Frustrating to lose because they were right there and made some annoying mistakes. Some thoughts:

*The Knicks stopped passing because the Celtics were jumping the passing lanes and the Knicks made some bad turnovers. So it led to Rose and Melo passing less. Not good, but to my mind understandable. They need some counters to that sort of defense. The Celtics play that style particularly because they're kinda small and quick as a team.

*KP was amazing in the 4th quarter. Loved the way he stepped up. He was the best player on the floor in the 4th quarter and he's ours and he's 21.

*The refs were overall pretty fair, but some key plays in the fourth quarter really stick out in my mind - the Horford block on Rose that was clearly a goal tend. It was so bad that ESPN wouldn't even show the normal replay, only an above view replay. Then later KP had a block that was somehow called a jump ball, even though the Knicks were at halfcourt on a fast break by the time the refs blew their whistles. That stopped a Knicks fast break and the Celtics recovered the jump ball and score. Two huge calls in a 4pt game.

*Kuz came into the game in the 4th and the Celtics went RIGHT at him five plays in a row - I believe they scored on 4 out of 5 possessions going RIGHT at Kuz - they frickin' went ISO-Kelly Olenyk on him and it worked. Bad move by Hornacek to keep Kuz in or not switch up the D.

*Celtics are a good defensive team... but to me the Knicks lost this game. I'm actually fine losing this game, because I want the players to be pissed off and learn from this one. It feels like the next developmental step.

*F those evil little Green goblins. I hate the Celtics so much. Particularly Marcus Smart.

¿ △ ?
ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

12/26/2016  6:38 AM
For some reason, I find myself not hating the Celtics that much. In fact, I rather like Larry Bird. I mean, I dislike the Celtics like any other Knicks rival, but not nearly to the same extent as I hated the Heat, the Pacers, most definitely the Bulls, and to some extent the Lakers or the Nets. Wonder why that is so, is it an age thing, or am I not a real Knicks fan?
sidneydeane
Member: #6384

12/26/2016  7:32 AM
crzymdups wrote:Frustrating to lose because they were right there and made some annoying mistakes. Some thoughts:

*The Knicks stopped passing because the Celtics were jumping the passing lanes and the Knicks made some bad turnovers. So it led to Rose and Melo passing less. Not good, but to my mind understandable."

Wait so they get some steals and we let that dictate that we stop passing? Terrible logic. They beat us because they are a better team plain and simple even though we are more talented. Our D was awful expecially melo who flat out refuses to help and we couldn't reboumd. Rose got whatever he wanted we ahould of just been living on that high pick and roll. Smart is s9 damn annoying but he isn't scared at all, i had no doubt he was hitting that 3. Not the end of the world though as much as I want us to get a scalp we just gotta keep beating the teams below us
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
12/26/2016  9:17 AM
nixluva wrote:I think it's such a mix of things with this team. They don't do enough screens to help slow down the defense and open up easy shots. If you watch Boston they screen ALL DAY which is why they get so many good shots. Isaiah is using screens to drive and shoot and our top guys tend to go SOLO for points as opposed to using screens for Catch and Shoot looks or to penetrate and kick.

He's 7-3, he doesn't need a screen against guys a foot shorter than him. You really need to stop making excuses, almost winning don't add up to anything. This is another team the Knicks don't match up well with.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/26/2016  9:27 AM
Never saw the proper angle on the goal tend, they said if its below the rim, its NOT.
Key was turn over on good defense by Bradley on Melo.
Credit Boston strong defense.
Not loving Jennings at times, especially half court.
Melo held the ball at times. Mostly he moved it very well, kicked it to CLee a few times, and to KP.
Thomas or Kuz have to step it up.
I thought team did a good job on Isiah Thomas.
Boston 3pt shooting got hot and nearly blew us out, credit knicks with nice comeback.
Process of improvement is to compete with top tier teams. Its a work in progress.
Derrick Rose kept us in the game.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
12/26/2016  9:43 AM
Rose is the key to the team.

The foul call on him was awful. The jump ball call was bad too.

Melo thinks he ness to take on guys all the time. At the end, he needs to set up low not outside.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

12/26/2016  10:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/26/2016  10:50 AM
How the heck does Boston score 119 points? I would rather see the ball in Rose's hands to close games. Really, it's up to Melo to get his head screwed on right if we are going to win games consistently. That means a commitment to help defense and letting your PG run the show in crunch time. Rose really doesn't get enough credit as a playmaker
Knicks vs Celtic: Christmas Day

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy