12/11/2016  4:11 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Someone on ESPN, (cant remember who) made a great point about this situation. He said that Phil used to do this stuff to his players as a coach, players could immediately talk to him whenever he said something to the media about them. There was no distance, he traveled with them, was around them constantly. Now it comes off more like lobbing hand grenades from a distance.

My view is if Phil had an issue with Melo's game that was important enough to share with millions of people worldwide, it was important enough to share with Melo first. Its the right thing to do IMO. Doesn't matter if Phil was the catalyst.

after watching the video, do you really think it was a grenade lob?

Melo gets boo'ed by MSG fans, so this is not something that is hidden from any of us. I thought Phil also praised Melo in that same sentence and this was not an uninitiated thought out of left field by Phil.

Does the team and Melo specifically want to get better? Melo making quick decisions with the ball is one of many many ways it can do so to get that done.

When Melo is getting this information from a third party, and not from Phil himself, it probably feels like Phil is taking pot shots at him, regardless of the context.

Been saying that Melo holds on the ball too long since he got to NY. Its no secret. Thats not the issue to me. The issue is that Phil has been a part of the organization for several years. He's had plenty of time to talk to Melo about the flaws in his game. This is business he should have handled a long time ago in private. Now that business is out on the street and Melo is PO'd.

Eh I'm pretty sure Phil has talked to him about it countless times. Yes I agree Phil can be difficult sometimes when "calling out " players but Melo can be equally difficult as well on the ISO issue. melo likes iso and yes sometimes he needs to do it but other times I feel it hurts the flow of the offense. Like is said previously he needs to have thicker skin and take the advice of Phil. Look I have also been critical of Phil but the man is a proven winner so take his advice

Eh he hasnt. Melo was asked about this and he said (and Phil did not deny) that this has never been brought up. Melo takes heat all the time, he said he understands that he is going to hear criticism from everyone. Just doesnt want to hear it from his boss through the media without letting him try to address it first. Sounds like a reasonable request to me. Praise in public, criticize in private.

The fact is Melo needs to have thicker skin. Others have mentioned that in this thread. I'm not being critical of his feelings I understand that its very difficult to have criticism put on you so thats understandable. However melo should accept that its part of the game and in order for the Knicks to ultimately go far in the playoffs the ball cant stick

How many team presidents are talking negatively about their star player's game? Accept something almost no other athlete has to listen to? Melo said he welcomes Phil's input, but he wants to hear it from him, not a reporter.

What surprises me is that no one seems to be particularly bothered that Phil has never spoken to Melo about his tendency to hold on to the ball too long. That should have been on the agenda year one. If not then, it should have been on Phil's agenda before Melo signed that big contract extension.

Its the biggest flaw in Melo's game now that he has made more of an effort to be a better all around player. From a competitive standpoint, Phil saw a serious issue with his star player game, and instead of using his clout not only as president but HOF coach to try and correct that flaw, he let the problem fester.

Phil kicked that can down the road and ended up tripping over it. That should bother you a lot more than Melo's reaction to hearing this from a reporter in the locker room, right after a game. Everyone has to do their part.

Perhaps cause he let's his coaches sort out the day-to-day with the team and sticks with higher level convo when he chats with Melo?

very possible
AUTOADVERT
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/11/2016  4:17 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Someone on ESPN, (cant remember who) made a great point about this situation. He said that Phil used to do this stuff to his players as a coach, players could immediately talk to him whenever he said something to the media about them. There was no distance, he traveled with them, was around them constantly. Now it comes off more like lobbing hand grenades from a distance.

My view is if Phil had an issue with Melo's game that was important enough to share with millions of people worldwide, it was important enough to share with Melo first. Its the right thing to do IMO. Doesn't matter if Phil was the catalyst.

Melo gets boo'ed by MSG fans, so this is not something that is hidden from any of us. I thought Phil also praised Melo in that same sentence and this was not an uninitiated thought out of left field by Phil.

Does the team and Melo specifically want to get better? Melo making quick decisions with the ball is one of many many ways it can do so to get that done.

When Melo is getting this information from a third party, and not from Phil himself, it probably feels like Phil is taking pot shots at him, regardless of the context.

Been saying that Melo holds on to the ball too long since he got to NY. Its no secret. Thats not the issue to me. The issue is that Phil has been a part of the organization for several years. He's had plenty of time to talk to Melo about the flaws in his game. This is business he should have handled a long time ago in private. Now that business is out on the street and Melo is PO'd.

Agree. Don't see uncle Phil publicly bringing up unicorns many times caught up in air going for pump fakes. Tendency to leave man wide open for three when cheating to watch the lane. The 28 foot shot instead of playing down low. Or the inability to cover an NBA 5. Point is, every player has deficiencies. That's why they all keep working on their games. You know that as a coach and GM. So no need to air it out in the media. No matter if prompted by reporter. Would love to see the reaction of all that are defending Phil if Melo were to mention any of KP's weaknesses when asked by a reporter. Just don't think there would be the same defense. Because you never throw a teammate under the bus. Us fans have the right to whine and complain on boards. GM's are getting paid a lot of money to know what to say. This was not his worst but still feel Phil has always had a hard on for Melo. Believe he was forced by Dolan to sign him. And he's been whining ever since.

As for the booing at MSG, it's more about Melo keeping the ball away from KP. Saw it with DRose as well. Until he shut everyone up with a few good games. Even when Melo makes a quick jumper you hear crickets. KP sneezing gets a standing ovation. Think its just the way it is and way its going to be. I get it, the crowd wants to see Jimmer, Baker get their shot. Just don't want it to effect our team winning. And tgink Melo is pur best player to get it done. But it's clearly the changing of the fan base favorite. That is, until the fan base turns on KP. Which for some stupid reason, is already happening on these boards. Can't we all just get along. We are finally winning.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

12/11/2016  4:22 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Been saying that Melo holds on to the ball too long since he got to NY. Its no secret. Thats not the issue to me. The issue is that Phil has been a part of the organization for several years. He's had plenty of time to talk to Melo about the flaws in his game. This is business he should have handled a long time ago in private. Now that business is out on the street and Melo is PO'd.

Agree. Don't see uncle Phil publicly bringing up unicorns many times caught up in air going for pump fakes. Tendency to leave man wide open for three when cheating to watch the lane. The 28 foot shot instead of playing down low. Or the inability to cover an NBA 5. Point is, every player has deficiencies. That's why they all keep working on their games. You know that as a coach and GM. So no need to air it out in the media. No matter if prompted by reporter. Would love to see the reaction of all that are defending Phil if Melo were to mention any of KP's weaknesses when asked by a reporter. Just don't think there would be the same defense. Because you never throw a teammate under the bus. Us fans have the right to whine and complain on boards. GM's are getting paid a lot of money to know what to say. This was not his worst but still feel Phil has always had a hard on for Melo. Believe he was forced by Dolan to sign him. And he's been whining ever since.

As for the booing at MSG, it's more about Melo keeping the ball away from KP. Saw it with DRose as well. Until he shut everyone up with a few good games. Even when Melo makes a quick jumper you hear crickets. KP sneezing gets a standing ovation. Think its just the way it is and way its going to be. I get it, the crowd wants to see Jimmer, Baker get their shot. Just don't want it to effect our team winning. And tgink Melo is pur best player to get it done. But it's clearly the changing of the fan base favorite. That is, until the fan base turns on KP. Which for some stupid reason, is already happening on these boards. Can't we all just get along. We are finally winning.

its funny you like accusing people like myself of hating melo but your post seems like its hating on KP because fans like him and his talent. Both are on the goddamn team....cheer or BOTH of them
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/11/2016  5:32 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:I think Melo is saying all the wrong things when it comes to Phil's comments. Truth is Melo does hold on to the ball too much. Even though we are winning now, as the season goes on defenses will adjust. That's the underlying message from Phil. Melo keeps saying he doesn't understand where Phil is going with the comments. This is why Melo is a loser in nba circles. He's got to be more receptive to criticism and more open to evolving his game. He's standing in his own way
Good Post Eny. Melo always has had a issue with criticism. he needs to understand that phil isnt attacking him. he is simply trying to help him and push him more.
I think Melo has pretty thick skin. He is the most scrutinized athelete in NYC. I think he has tired of hearing about what Phil thinks from the media. That being said, after watching the interview I don't think it was Phil's intent to criticize or send a message to Melo. I think this was a media created issue.
Look I know you probably will accuse me of hating melo like always but I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I sympathize with melo because like you said he gets criticism a lot so yes I completely understand being a hurt by it and for that I agree phil probably should have kept it in house and that's on him. However throughout the years I feel melo responds without thinking things through. Yes you need to defened yourself but sometimes people are simply trying to help him and I feel he takes offense.
I thought he handled it very well when he was confronted with it after the game. Writers said he is generally a great guy to talk with in the locker room and that he was visibly upset. He didn't go after Phil and he didn't share what they talked about. I think Melo has handled the media pretty well for awhile now. Phil's comments were not said with the intent of causing issues or calling out Melo. He actually presented like he is fond of Melo which is not normally the case when he is interviewed or does press conferences. Maybe Phil needs to realize that a couple of words or sentence will be taken out of context and used to create an issue when there shouldn't be one. I don't fault Melo here at all and I really don't think Phil is at fault other than not recognizing how vicious the media is in nyc.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
StarksEwing1

12/11/2016  5:37 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:I think Melo is saying all the wrong things when it comes to Phil's comments. Truth is Melo does hold on to the ball too much. Even though we are winning now, as the season goes on defenses will adjust. That's the underlying message from Phil. Melo keeps saying he doesn't understand where Phil is going with the comments. This is why Melo is a loser in nba circles. He's got to be more receptive to criticism and more open to evolving his game. He's standing in his own way
Good Post Eny. Melo always has had a issue with criticism. he needs to understand that phil isnt attacking him. he is simply trying to help him and push him more.
I think Melo has pretty thick skin. He is the most scrutinized athelete in NYC. I think he has tired of hearing about what Phil thinks from the media. That being said, after watching the interview I don't think it was Phil's intent to criticize or send a message to Melo. I think this was a media created issue.
Look I know you probably will accuse me of hating melo like always but I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I sympathize with melo because like you said he gets criticism a lot so yes I completely understand being a hurt by it and for that I agree phil probably should have kept it in house and that's on him. However throughout the years I feel melo responds without thinking things through. Yes you need to defened yourself but sometimes people are simply trying to help him and I feel he takes offense.
I thought he handled it very well when he was confronted with it after the game. Writers said he is generally a great guy to talk with in the locker room and that he was visibly upset. He didn't go after Phil and he didn't share what they talked about. I think Melo has handled the media pretty well for awhile now. Phil's comments were not said with the intent of causing issues or calling out Melo. He actually presented like he is fond of Melo which is not normally the case when he is interviewed or does press conferences. Maybe Phil needs to realize that a couple of words or sentence will be taken out of context and used to create an issue when there shouldn't be one. I don't fault Melo here at all and I really don't think Phil is at fault other than not recognizing how vicious the media is in nyc.
youre always positive crush i like that. Anyway im ready to move on from this story. Lets just keep winning
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
12/11/2016  5:44 PM
Nothing for the media to create if Phil keep his mouth closed.
HofstraBBall

12/11/2016  7:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/11/2016  7:23 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

its funny you like accusing people like myself of hating melo but your post seems like its hating on KP because fans like him and his talent. Both are on the goddamn team....cheer or BOTH of them

Thanks. You just proved my point. And shows your hypocrisy. How is commenting on his weaknesses hating on KP? And funny how you quickly assume I am not rooting for him. But anyone reacting to Melo criticism is just thin skinned? Smmfh

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/11/2016  7:26 PM
knickscity wrote:Nothing for the media to create if Phil keep his mouth closed.

Where you been? They complain that he never talks to the press and is holed up

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
StarksEwing1

12/11/2016  7:35 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Thanks. You just proved my point. And shows your hypocrisy. How is commenting on his weaknesses hating on KP? And funny how you quickly assume I am not rooting for him. But anyone reacting to Melo criticism is just thin skinned? Smmfh

I'm not happy with you to begin with. In a previous thread I'm complimented your post and then you make a smartass comment about how Im 'excusing" KP because of a knee issue and I didn't do the same for melo. First off it was inaccurate and just a overall stupid comment.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/12/2016  8:32 AM
Melo hangs 8 rebs, 7 assists and 3 steals on an off shooting nite and knicks come away with a victory in Los Angeles.

7 assists. Credit melo for letting his game speak for itself.

HofstraBBall

12/12/2016  10:45 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

I'm not happy with you to begin with. In a previous thread I'm complimented your post and then you make a smartass comment about how Im 'excusing" KP because of a knee issue and I didn't do the same for melo. First off it was inaccurate and just a overall stupid comment.

Your not happy with me? Darn. The comment showed another hypocritical statement on your part. You, like most, dont like to be called out. Think I will continue to root for entire team, including KP. You can enjoy rooting for one player and be defensive when people bring up things he can improve.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/12/2016  10:58 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
yea.. man people ignore context and just run with the 8% that is dramatic. I thought it was good and crafty by Phil. Melo has a no trade clause. He's not going anywhere. It would be different if it was Rose vying for a new contract. Phil mentioned what everyone who follows the sport already knows about Melo, and did so in a complimentary way. Last night was a great example of Melo having a positive impact during a bad shooting game. When he does those things during a good shooting game his game goes up to the next level
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/12/2016  10:58 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
yea.. man people ignore context and just run with the 8% that is dramatic. I thought it was good and crafty by Phil. Melo has a no trade clause. He's not going anywhere. It would be different if it was Rose vying for a new contract. Phil mentioned what everyone who follows the sport already knows about Melo, and did so in a complimentary way. Last night was a great example of Melo having a positive impact during a bad shooting game. When he does those things during a good shooting game his game goes up to the next level
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Carmelo Prostesting Phil's Nonsense talk

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy