[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Vowing to be 'sponge' Crawford, noting Bulls' inexperience, is eager to soak up all the information
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/9/2004  7:28 AM
If already posted somewhere, please martin or andrew just delete my post.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix073922332aug07,0,4203631.story?coll=ny-knicks-print

Vowing to be 'sponge'
Crawford, noting Bulls' inexperience, is eager to soak up all the information he can from Wilkens & Isiah

BY STEVE ZIPAY
STAFF CORRESPONDENT

August 7, 2004

GREENBURGH, N.Y. - In the post-Jordan era in Chicago, Jamal Crawford - with two years of high school ball and one year of college hoops - was surrounded by young players: Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Kirk Hinrich and Jay Williams. He shifted between point guard and shooting guard for four coaches in four seasons.

"No excuses, but we had some rough years," said Crawford, now 24 and the newest guard in the Knicks' mix. "It was frustrating, especially last year, when coach [Scott] Skiles came, because there were times when we were in games, had a chance to win them but we were so young, we didn't know how to finish."

Crawford watched the Knicks from afar and saw the advantages of playing for guards and mentors such as team president Isiah Thomas and coach Lenny Wilkens, both Hall of Famers, as well as All-Stars Allan Houston and Stephon Marbury.

So Friday, when Crawford and former Bulls teammate Jerome Williams were introduced to New York in a late afternoon news conference at the practice center here, Crawford said he couldn't wait to start quizzing those teachers.

"I still have a lot of learning to do," said Crawford, who signed a six-year, $56-million contract. "I'm going to be like a sponge, I'm going to pick their brains about game situations as much as I can. I think to switch environments, to be around winners, will definitely help me."

Crawford was the key figure in a six-player, sign-and trade deal that shipped forward Othella Harrington, centers Dikembe Mutombo and Cezary Trybanski and point guard Frank Williams to Chicago on Thursday night.

Jerome Williams, 31, known as "Junkyard Dog" for his defense and rebounding, entertained some TV crews yesterday by barking, and promised to create "a New York Dog Pound" of followers, as he has in other cities. Williams will earn $18 million over the three guaranteed years left on his contract.

"He brings hustle and great energy," Crawford said with a laugh. "Whether it's a matter of Jerome and I coming off the bench or starting, we're here to win."

It will be up to Wilkens, who saw Crawford play in high school in Seattle, to find the right blend and the proper chemistry. "Right now," Wilkens said, "Jamal's a two [shooting guard]. He can play some point, but before it's all over, hopefully he'll be able to play one, two or three. Last year, we needed to have some depth. He has range and helps stretch the floor."

Wilkens said he wanted the Knicks to play a more up- tempo style than last season, and employ a three-guard rotation when necessary. "I never had a problem with it and I'm not afraid to use it," he said.

Crawford insisted it didn't matter what position he played. "I just want to be on the floor," he said. "I think I can learn in both areas."

As well as others, according to Wilkens. "He's just finding out now what he has to do, and that's a great time to catch him," Wilkens said. "He knows that he can score against anybody. I think he'll get better at shot selection. I think he can distribute the ball and hopefully become even more aggressive in that area. And I don't want him to defend some nights. I want him to defend all the time."

With Crawford and Williams aboard, the Knicks apparently will hold off on a deal with free agent forward/center Vin Baker until free-agent center Erick Dampier's future is resolved. They cannot use the midlevel exemption ($4.9 million) to pay both Baker and Dampier.

"We want to try to get both players," Thomas said. "Our first objective with Dampier is to do a sign-and- trade with Golden State. I know Damp is being talked about at the midlevel but he's much better than a midlevel player. We want to do a sign-and-trade to make sure he's compensated the way he should be."
AUTOADVERT
Vowing to be 'sponge' Crawford, noting Bulls' inexperience, is eager to soak up all the information

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy