[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

20 games in... some cool stats:
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/6/2016  11:47 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:The most important stat is our win-loss record.

11-9 and 5th in the standings. To be honest, 11 games ago I would have takem 9th and 9-11 record at this point. So we've done ok. We haven't faced serious injuries yet (Noah is an important role player as is Thomas, and Lee, but not like a Melo, KP or Rose).

I think our starters are doing ok but there is room for improvement. Our bench is overachieving. I don't think many thought New York would have this depth. Espn had the Knicks bench being a key reason they miss out on the playoffs. However Hernangomez, Kuz, Holiday and Jennings have played really well for their standards. O'Quinn has become a reliable 6th starter.

The main stat I worry about is our road record. 2-6. Now we have a big bunch of games coming on the road. If we can go 3-4 or 4-3 over the next 7 games, we'll be in a decent position after that. If we go 1-6 or something like that, that's obviously what we want to avoid as it will push us right back to where we were at season's start. Really big stretch coming.

Overachieving, as in they will come back down to earth after a while and play at less than they are right now, or exceeding expectations and have a good chance of keeping this up?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/6/2016  11:48 AM
knicks1248 wrote:I don't think we have played too many quality teams, the road record looks Lottery-team-like.

I do know despite our record only being 3 games better then last yr around this time, those blown leads turned into losses last yr, this yr we aleast hold teams off.

Yeah, basketball refrence's rating system takes into account strength of schedule and point differentials and has us at 18th out of 30 teams. But Rose missed preseason and has been playing a lot better. If he keeps that up, we're probably legitimately .500 or slightly higher. That could just be wishful thinking on my part though.
martin
USA
12/6/2016  12:38 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I don't think we have played too many quality teams, the road record looks Lottery-team-like.

I do know despite our record only being 3 games better then last yr around this time, those blown leads turned into losses last yr, this yr we aleast hold teams off.

Yeah, basketball refrence's rating system takes into account strength of schedule and point differentials and has us at 18th out of 30 teams. But Rose missed preseason and has been playing a lot better. If he keeps that up, we're probably legitimately .500 or slightly higher. That could just be wishful thinking on my part though.

not sure how these stats are calculated but ESPN has strength of schedule at #14.

http://www.espn.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/6/2016  12:48 PM
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

not sure how these stats are calculated but ESPN has strength of schedule at #14.

Also Knicks ranked 12th vs. +500 teams http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/17/1/diffeff/13-1

It all very early and a small sample size, but 20 games is qtr of the season.

BTW... Knicks on pace to win 45 games

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
12/6/2016  12:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/6/2016  12:58 PM
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Most likely we drop a bit in the rankings because of our negative point differential (-2.1 per game)
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
12/6/2016  2:16 PM
I am not looking at the stats. I just see the team is playing better. KP's learning how to stay out of foul trouble. Melo has played better D. Rose is getting his legs and confidence. The bench, especially the "euro" unit, looks really good together. KOQ has shown he can play big minutes.

I think Noah will get better as he gets healthy. They should sit him down until he is truly ready. Also he can work on his foul shot, OMG is that awful!

I like Hornacek as a coach. He plays the hot hand and the offense seems to get better each week.

I can see NY being in the top 4 of the East, if all works out well.

Bonn1997
USA
12/7/2016  7:30 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Most likely we drop a bit in the rankings because of our negative point differential (-2.1 per game)

Well, we bounced from 18th to 14th now. The #s fluctuate a lot this early in the season. Our expected W-L based on point differential is 9-12, which isn't good, but the team seems a lot better now than earlier in the season.
martin
USA
12/7/2016  10:14 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Well, we bounced from 18th to 14th now. The #s fluctuate a lot this early in the season. Our expected W-L based on point differential is 9-12, which isn't good, but the team seems a lot better now than earlier in the season.

Knicks have had 2-3 really really bad losses that probably account for the lopsided point differential and the margin of our wins an average is small. So, mostly small sample size and a few skewing data points.

Bonn1997
USA
12/7/2016  11:03 AM
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Knicks have had 2-3 really really bad losses that probably account for the lopsided point differential and the margin of our wins an average is small. So, mostly small sample size and a few skewing data points.

The alternative view is that they've won a high proportion of their close games (7 out of 11 single digit games). They're probably not going to keep winning 2 out of every 3 close games. With a larger sample, we'll see how things unfold.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/7/2016  12:07 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

The alternative view is that they've won a high proportion of their close games (7 out of 11 single digit games). They're probably not going to keep winning 2 out of every 3 close games. With a larger sample, we'll see how things unfold.
Why not? I mean thats what good teams do, and that is a sign of the good teams as well. Are we one or pretenders?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/7/2016  12:14 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:We have still had substandard (for them) play from Lee and Noah. If those two play up to their specs...Lee from the 3, and Noah on D (and from the FT line!), we will be a pretty dangerous team by the end of the year, especially since guys will Willy, Kuz, and Holiday should be better by the second half of the season.

Much to look forward to at this moment.

well here is where the kool-aid tastes pretty good. The roster has a lot of upside. Lee and Noah have yet to break out, although Noah has had a couple big games on the boards. Rose is scoring well but can improve as a facilitator. Not much Dad-Melo yet. KP has been great but is still an inconsistent young player, Willy and Kuz are just scratching the surface.... There is still so much upside.

So far Rose/KP/Melo have played every game right? Will be interesting to see how we navigate a stretch of not having on or more them for a few games (hopefully a very few) but guys turn ankles, etc..

The great thing about this roster is that having a quality bench allows the starters to get some rest. Hopefully we can sustain a blowout in the future so the starters don't have to come back. That's the thing i'm waiting for. Seeing this team achieve a level of consistent play for 48 minutes.

The other great thing about the quality bench is we have a coach who isn't bashful about letting us see we have a quality bench. This really shows up in games like last night, where the Heat try to play the whole game with their starters.

I love this team!

Bonn1997
USA
12/7/2016  12:25 PM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Why not? I mean thats what good teams do, and that is a sign of the good teams as well. Are we one or pretenders?

Only about 5 or 6 teams win that high a percentage of their close games. It tends to be teams that were reasonably good and had an unusual amount of luck. For example, last year the top five teams in close games had the following overall W-L rankings out of the 30 nba teams: 1st, 16th, 6th, 9th, and 4th. So it's not just the case that outstanding teams do well in close games. You could argue that those five teams all have excellent abilities to close games even if they don't have excellent overall records. It's probably more likely that they just had some luck on their side. Will we continue to have good luck on our side and win a disproportionate # of close games? It's possible but I would not depend on it. Luck sometimes stays with teams but more often evens out.

Winning percentage in close games 2015-16
https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/win-pct-close-games?date=2016-06-20

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/8/2016  1:07 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Only about 5 or 6 teams win that high a percentage of their close games. It tends to be teams that were reasonably good and had an unusual amount of luck. For example, last year the top five teams in close games had the following overall W-L rankings out of the 30 nba teams: 1st, 16th, 6th, 9th, and 4th. So it's not just the case that outstanding teams do well in close games. You could argue that those five teams all have excellent abilities to close games even if they don't have excellent overall records. It's probably more likely that they just had some luck on their side. Will we continue to have good luck on our side and win a disproportionate # of close games? It's possible but I would not depend on it. Luck sometimes stays with teams but more often evens out.

Winning percentage in close games 2015-16
https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/win-pct-close-games?date=2016-06-20

Great, so your point is we need a larger statistical dataset in order to prove out the value of coin flipping (luck).

How about despite last night's second Cavs blowout, we are an up and coming team with the ability to win close games and even come back from large deficits against randomly good and bad opponents. Sometimes. If we're lucky.

I guess we can always just watch the games.

Why the fuhuck do we post here again?

20 games in... some cool stats:

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy