20 games in... some cool stats:
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/5/2016  10:42 AM
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/17/1/diffeff/1-1
This is a neat site for sortable team stats.

Based on diff +/- some interesting things:
Starters are 20th
Bench is 8th in the league

Knicks have a big 3? Check out our +/- by position:
C 26th
PF 6th
SF 7th
SG 27th
PG 8th

Knicks are 13th vs. +.500 teams in eff%
Knicks are 7th vs. -.500 teams in eff%

Some interesting trends so far. Certainly things will continue to level out but I thought we would need at least 20 games before we could start painting a picture of what kind of squad we are and I think we are seeing some trends.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/5/2016  11:01 AM
Mid pack team after 20 games. Really, the first 10 was more preseason for Rose.

Without Noah at full health we are 5th in Rebounding and 7th in Block shots.
Rockets have had played 14 road games!!!
We just 8. THat will change with 5 game road trip out West, and 6 of next 7!
Philly just played 6, Bucks and clev just 7!!

smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
12/5/2016  11:03 AM
Fishmike embracing the metrics
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

12/5/2016  11:12 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/5/2016  11:13 AM
May add that we are just getting the bench to play a nice role. Melo, KP, Lee, Noah, Rose are not yet playing at their highest consistent level. Think it even gets better from here.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
fishmike
USA
12/5/2016  11:16 AM
smackeddog wrote:Fishmike embracing the metrics
stats are fun. There just needs to be context. We know there are some who just dont watch but "know" everything they need to know by looking at a guy's TS% or WS/48 and that just doesnt provide the context needed for good debate or understanding of what is actually happening. If they did then you would "know" that Jose was a better player last year than Rose is this year. Both Jennings and Rose are below Jose's WS/48 last year.

I found this site interesting comparing to the rest of the NBA... also you can look at last 10, 5 and 3 games which is neat.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/5/2016  12:03 PM
This is a good share. The know it alls that only go by these obscure stats can now read it and weep. However you want to look at it, The Knicks are back
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/5/2016  1:53 PM
And almost half our wins are against some quality opponents. Not just fool's gold as we would hear normally during a good stretch.
And just to shamelessly suck up to our intrepid ownership, HoopsData is already listed on the UK under "Other Stuff"...

Although maybe the intern slipped it onto the site after seeing fish's post...

fishmike
USA
12/5/2016  2:15 PM
EnySpree wrote:This is a good share. The know it alls that only go by these obscure stats can now read it and weep. However you want to look at it, The Knicks are back
I hope so brother... I really do. It is sure looking good, deep young bench, rising star at 21 years old, impact players around him... we look good and we have weathered the early storm. Fingers crossed. Some breathing room would be nice... but bottom line is we are getting the wins we need.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

12/5/2016  2:26 PM
We have still had substandard (for them) play from Lee and Noah. If those two play up to their specs...Lee from the 3, and Noah on D (and from the FT line!), we will be a pretty dangerous team by the end of the year, especially since guys will Willy, Kuz, and Holiday should be better by the second half of the season.

Much to look forward to at this moment.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
fishmike
USA
12/5/2016  2:38 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:We have still had substandard (for them) play from Lee and Noah. If those two play up to their specs...Lee from the 3, and Noah on D (and from the FT line!), we will be a pretty dangerous team by the end of the year, especially since guys will Willy, Kuz, and Holiday should be better by the second half of the season.

well here is where the kool-aid tastes pretty good. The roster has a lot of upside. Lee and Noah have yet to break out, although Noah has had a couple big games on the boards. Rose is scoring well but can improve as a facilitator. Not much Dad-Melo yet. KP has been great but is still an inconsistent young player, Willy and Kuz are just scratching the surface.... There is still so much upside.

So far Rose/KP/Melo have played every game right? Will be interesting to see how we navigate a stretch of not having on or more them for a few games (hopefully a very few) but guys turn ankles, etc..

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/5/2016  2:39 PM
if Noah can get his @#$% together we will have some exciting games in May
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/5/2016  3:03 PM
fishmike wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:We have still had substandard (for them) play from Lee and Noah. If those two play up to their specs...Lee from the 3, and Noah on D (and from the FT line!), we will be a pretty dangerous team by the end of the year, especially since guys will Willy, Kuz, and Holiday should be better by the second half of the season.

well here is where the kool-aid tastes pretty good. The roster has a lot of upside. Lee and Noah have yet to break out, although Noah has had a couple big games on the boards. Rose is scoring well but can improve as a facilitator. Not much Dad-Melo yet. KP has been great but is still an inconsistent young player, Willy and Kuz are just scratching the surface.... There is still so much upside.

So far Rose/KP/Melo have played every game right? Will be interesting to see how we navigate a stretch of not having on or more them for a few games (hopefully a very few) but guys turn ankles, etc..

The great thing about this roster is that having a quality bench allows the starters to get some rest. Hopefully we can sustain a blowout in the future so the starters don't have to come back. That's the thing i'm waiting for. Seeing this team achieve a level of consistent play for 48 minutes.
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/5/2016  7:30 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:if Noah can get his @#$% together we will have some exciting games in May

he's shooting 24% from the free throw line(6 for fckng 25)..im ready to eat the contract on the strength of that alone..thats the worst in the history of the league..so not only he's an absolute no show on offense, he cant hit a ft to save his life, let alone the game.

At the very least, I would not start him

ES
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
12/5/2016  8:28 PM
A few things I noticed -

Derrick Rose is averaging a career high in rebounds.

He's also shooting his highest FG% since 2009-10, the year before he won MVP.

¿ △ ?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/5/2016  8:41 PM
crzymdups wrote:A few things I noticed -

Derrick Rose is averaging a career high in rebounds.

He's also shooting his highest FG% since 2009-10, the year before he won MVP.

really nice in the last 10 games, while averaging about 32 minutes per. Legs finally looking good and I hope he keeps it up and starts to get a real connection with guys and understand where each player will be.

This is the Rose that I'd be happy to sign an extension with, he's really the only Knicks player that can consistently break his man down and get his, and you always need that in the playoffs.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/5/2016  9:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/5/2016  9:20 PM
fishmike wrote:http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/17/1/diffeff/1-1

Starters are 20th

C 26th
PF 6th
SF 7th
SG 27th
PG 8th

Some interesting trends so far. Certainly things will continue to level out but I thought we would need at least 20 games before we could start painting a picture of what kind of squad we are and I think we are seeing some trends.

Dont expect Lee to score enough to push that stat closer to PF, SF, and PG, because there is so much scoring on tap. Lee has been a complimentary player, and thats what his role should be. As long as the defense is there as well.

The Center ranking is more of an area of concern IMO because of Noah's struggles. He seems to be getting his timing, aggressiveness back. Racked up a lot of fouls in a hurry because he still has to get in better shape.

fishmike
USA
12/6/2016  8:49 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/17/1/diffeff/1-1

Starters are 20th

C 26th
PF 6th
SF 7th
SG 27th
PG 8th

Dont expect Lee to score enough to push that stat closer to PF, SF, and PG, because there is so much scoring on tap. Lee has been a complimentary player, and thats what his role should be. As long as the defense is there as well.

The Center ranking is more of an area of concern IMO because of Noah's struggles. He seems to be getting his timing, aggressiveness back. Racked up a lot of fouls in a hurry because he still has to get in better shape.

I like that Noah doesnt have to worry too much about foul trouble and he can go all out with Willy/KOQ behind him. Im not worried about the SG spot either. Not every position will have big scoring, so long as we can matchup there. Lee brings good things, Holiday's been great off the bench
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/6/2016  9:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/6/2016  9:58 AM
Those foul shots..........The ugliest shot I have seen. Wilt and Shaq were not good, but at least they were "flicks". This inverted spin thing he got is weird.

Knicks are back. Fans need be patient, got 6 of 7 are on the road and any regression record wise tends to inflame the trade scenarios, Phil's salary and "Rambis blame".

knicks1248
Member: #582
12/6/2016  11:25 AM
I don't think we have played too many quality teams, the road record looks Lottery-team-like.

I do know despite our record only being 3 games better then last yr around this time, those blown leads turned into losses last yr, this yr we aleast hold teams off.

ES
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/6/2016  11:37 AM
The most important stat is our win-loss record.

11-9 and 5th in the standings. To be honest, 11 games ago I would have takem 9th and 9-11 record at this point. So we've done ok. We haven't faced serious injuries yet (Noah is an important role player as is Thomas, and Lee, but not like a Melo, KP or Rose).

I think our starters are doing ok but there is room for improvement. Our bench is overachieving. I don't think many thought New York would have this depth. Espn had the Knicks bench being a key reason they miss out on the playoffs. However Hernangomez, Kuz, Holiday and Jennings have played really well for their standards. O'Quinn has become a reliable 6th starter.

The main stat I worry about is our road record. 2-6. Now we have a big bunch of games coming on the road. If we can go 3-4 or 4-3 over the next 7 games, we'll be in a decent position after that. If we go 1-6 or something like that, that's obviously what we want to avoid as it will push us right back to where we were at season's start. Really big stretch coming.

20 games in... some cool stats:

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy