OT: Politics Thread
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/29/2017  5:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/29/2017  6:20 PM
VCoug wrote:
meloanyk wrote:http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2017/01/29/news-bulletin-the-list-of-muslim-nations-in-trumps-socalled-muslim-ban-are-ones-obama-choose-n2278021

What's your point? Obama signed a bill that required visitors from those countries to go through the Visa process. Trump is outright banning people from those countries from visiting, immigrating, or applying for refugee status even if they're green card holders/permanent legal residents. How is this in any way the same thing?

This happens everyday in every airport in America to permanent residents. If they are permanent residents or u.s. citizens they are released after being vetted. The laws have been in place. They are just being enforced now. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to protecting your country from terrorism. Especially when it is homegrown and carried not only by immigrants but by the citizens born here. In my hometown. Of course the media and the left are doing what they do best by spreading the false narrative that they are banning and deporting legal residents and citizens. All in hopes of getting a democrat elected in four years.

AUTOADVERT
VCoug
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

1/29/2017  6:46 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
VCoug wrote:
meloanyk wrote:http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2017/01/29/news-bulletin-the-list-of-muslim-nations-in-trumps-socalled-muslim-ban-are-ones-obama-choose-n2278021

What's your point? Obama signed a bill that required visitors from those countries to go through the Visa process. Trump is outright banning people from those countries from visiting, immigrating, or applying for refugee status even if they're green card holders/permanent legal residents. How is this in any way the same thing?

This happens everyday in every airport in America to permanent residents. If they are permanent residents or u.s. citizens they are released after being vetted. The laws have been in place. They are just being enforced now. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to protecting your country from terrorism. Especially when it is homegrown and carried not only by immigrants but by the citizens born here. In my hometown. Of course the media and the left are doing what they do best by spreading the false narrative that they are banning and deporting legal residents and citizens. All in hopes of getting a democrat elected in four years.

First of all, the visa process is the vetting process. Second of all, the Exec Order isn't about vetting; it's a blanket ban for anyone, dual-citizens, greencard holders, and refugees, from entering the US if they're from or have visited any of the listed countries.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/29/2017  7:49 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ex-kgb-spy-cited-in-the-trump-blackmail-dossier-just_us_588e3f0de4b0cd25e4904a24

Russian intel agent who helped leak the Trump "golden shower" scandal found dead in the back of his car.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
holfresh
Member: #1081

1/29/2017  8:26 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ex-kgb-spy-cited-in-the-trump-blackmail-dossier-just_us_588e3f0de4b0cd25e4904a24

Russian intel agent who helped leak the Trump "golden shower" scandal found dead in the back of his car.

I remember reading a while back that the guy who released the dossier abandoned his home in London after the release..

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/29/2017  8:38 PM
holfresh

1/29/2017  9:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/29/2017  9:18 PM

holfresh

1/29/2017  9:27 PM
Steve Jobs father was a Syrian refugee..
holfresh

1/29/2017  9:40 PM
I still can't believe this complete , complete idiot is President...
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/29/2017  11:29 PM
holfresh wrote:I still can't believe this complete , complete idiot is President...

Tell me about it. I'll never forgive the people that voted for Trump! They had all the evidence they needed that this man should never have been president!!! He and his CRAZY ASS inner circle of Gen. Flynn and Bannon are DANGEROUS. This is not a joke!!!

NumberTwoPencil
Member: #481
USA
1/30/2017  4:00 AM
No, not a joke.

I swore I wouldn't look at this topic . . . busman's holiday, sanity, and all but . . . I read a few pages and this didn't make me as depressed as the last time I looked. Maybe it's that things are so ****ed up and bull**** that mild crazy looks okay or maybe my expectations have dropped. I see a lot more sense here than I did during the election. I have faith that at least a few people here are realizing that, no, the election was no joke. And, I _think_ I see a few people paying attention and maybe, just maybe, changing their minds.

I'm hoping that some people who said that they were concerned about terrorism are realizing that this weekend's travel ban is a gift to ISIS. That a president who puts guys who _want_ a war with Islam on the National Security Council is maybe not a wise man. That a Secretary of the Treasury from Goldman Sachs is maybe not what you had in mind when Trump attacked Clinton for speaking at Goldman Sachs. That the GOP plan for health care is basically less health care for more money. It's maybe the same discussion as during the election but, whew, the specifics have changed a lot.

I work in a odd little nook of politics, a largely non-partisan job but one that comes with absorbing large amounts of political news and thinking and when I go home at night . . . I like basketball, among other things. Sadly, every day, I wrestle with "This is not a joke!!!" So, because it's no joke--perhaps less of joke than any other time in my life--once in a while, a New Year's pledge basically, I'm going to mix politics with bball. Steve Kerr and Pops do it :)

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
1/30/2017  8:11 AM
NumberTwoPencil wrote:No, not a joke.

I swore I wouldn't look at this topic . . . busman's holiday, sanity, and all but . . . I read a few pages and this didn't make me as depressed as the last time I looked. Maybe it's that things are so ****ed up and bull**** that mild crazy looks okay or maybe my expectations have dropped. I see a lot more sense here than I did during the election. I have faith that at least a few people here are realizing that, no, the election was no joke. And, I _think_ I see a few people paying attention and maybe, just maybe, changing their minds.

I'm hoping that some people who said that they were concerned about terrorism are realizing that this weekend's travel ban is a gift to ISIS. That a president who puts guys who _want_ a war with Islam on the National Security Council is maybe not a wise man. That a Secretary of the Treasury from Goldman Sachs is maybe not what you had in mind when Trump attacked Clinton for speaking at Goldman Sachs. That the GOP plan for health care is basically less health care for more money. It's maybe the same discussion as during the election but, whew, the specifics have changed a lot.

I work in a odd little nook of politics, a largely non-partisan job but one that comes with absorbing large amounts of political news and thinking and when I go home at night . . . I like basketball, among other things. Sadly, every day, I wrestle with "This is not a joke!!!" So, because it's no joke--perhaps less of joke than any other time in my life--once in a while, a New Year's pledge basically, I'm going to mix politics with bball. Steve Kerr and Pops do it :)

Trump making a good job of waking out America.
No matter right or wrong he will took country out of the rabbit hole of denial.
The world turmoil is real and America cannot escape it of buy its way out.
American people will have to take sites and make decisions and leave with consequences.
I know this is uncomfortable, disturbing, and hard but not avoidable anymore.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
holfresh

1/30/2017  9:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/30/2017  9:37 AM
arkrud wrote:

American people will have to take sites and make decisions and leave with consequences.

Trump and his supporters are short sighted yet shockingly *cocksure in the ignorance they wish to project on others...It's not enough that you bear this ugly hatred in your hearts but you want it shared and adapted by the world. Well the majority chose what was opposite to Trump's beliefs and you see it in various protest. The fact that he is in the White House doesn't mean he has the endorsement of the entire country but fact is, the minority. He can run off and start wars like other ideologues but he will be isolated and sidelined with his supporters. The quicker people on the sidelines are awakened the better. So Trump's behavior does have it's benefits that could pay dividends in the long run...So while you look for support in your fractious agenda, I hope this is the awakening all of America, if not the World, needs...

dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
1/30/2017  11:08 AM
holfresh wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Trump and his supporters are short sighted yet shockingly *cocksure in the ignorance they wish to project on others...It's not enough that you bear this ugly hatred in your hearts but you want it shared and adapted by the world. Well the majority chose what was opposite to Trump's beliefs and you see it in various protest. The fact that he is in the White House doesn't mean he has the endorsement of the entire country but fact is, the minority. He can run off and start wars like other ideologues but he will be isolated and sidelined with his supporters. The quicker people on the sidelines are awakened the better. So Trump's behavior does have it's benefits that could pay dividends in the long run...So while you look for support in your fractious agenda, I hope this is the awakening all of America, if not the World, needs...

Yes we have to take a stance but it is not necessarily a stance of globlization vs nationalism.
We all have to decide if we want to take up the responsibilities for our nations deeds and act following our moral code.
We have to decide on this moral code.
Look... generally speaking until Merkel did something very unusal for her, by taking up an "unpopular" moral stance pro refugees, voting for her was rather simple to do... Germany has a flourishing economy. We have a great social welfare net which basically works for the VAST majority of ppl here. Now... we have reached this partially by having a huge negative influence/impact on different regions in the world (kinda reminds you of the US?!?).
NOW is the time for everybody to decide if he/she is willing to potentiall sacrifice JUST A BIT of the luxury of our lives... things we have come to cherrish for us and our families in order to start solving issues around the globe.

Am I willing to not have this high job security, the well paid job and the safe wellfare for me and my family... will I be happy with a LITTLE less but follow a moral code and for example stop exporting all our good German weapons to countries in war around the globe?
This will cost jobs and threaten our status quo ... just a little bit.

THATS the decision we all have to make... and our societies are doing this right now and are torn by it...
I understand this...
It happens everywhere...
In Poland, Hungary, France, Germany (horrible rethoric happening here with our past in mind... its scary how ppl forget their past!) AND it already happened in the US...

Now ALL I ask from ppl ... that includes all Trump voters to at least be honest...
Admit that you decided to go AMERICA FIRST and FUCK THE REST... because thats what it is...
Same thing with ppl voting for LePen in France... same with the AFD voters in Germany... it is CLEAR seperation from the rest of the world... but you go full throttle...

I for my part am NOT interested to live in a world where the only "open" thing is the internet with borders being closed and countries being close to straight out wars again... all this is a HUGE STEP BACK FOR HUMANITY!!!

The WORLD is so much bigger than country borders!!!

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
1/30/2017  11:10 AM
holfresh wrote:
arkrud wrote:

I am glad that we agree on this.
This is the test of the strength of American Republican system of governance.
And this a test how far the American society evolved to prevent emergence of totalitarian state which can come from both left and right.
Can we as a nation swing back to center and common sense?
This will define our future and ultimately the future of the whole world.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/30/2017  11:18 AM
Ignorance breeds fear.
dodger78
Germany
1/30/2017  11:19 AM
arkrud wrote:
holfresh wrote:
arkrud wrote:

I am glad that we agree on this.
This is the test of the strength of American Republican system of governance.
And this a test how far the American society evolved to prevent emergence of totalitarian state which can come from both left and right.
Can we as a nation swing back to center and common sense?
This will define our future and ultimately the future of the whole world.

Agree... but its a test MANY countries face at the moment! Its way to short sighted to make this an unique American problem even though of course the US has a strong weight in international affairs... but can you imagine Trump facing Putin facing an EU led by LePen, Orban, Petry (German AFD right-head party leader), May and other nationalist leaders?! Thats chaos for the world!

dodger78
Germany
1/30/2017  11:21 AM
Nalod wrote:Ignorance breeds fear.

+1 and social media is a brilliant channel to spread it!

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

1/30/2017  11:26 AM
Good post Dodger. My only edit would be that it's not America First and eff the rest. It's America first at the cost of the rest. Long have Americans viewed themselves as superior to everyone else and it has led to this pervasive notion that not only are we better than everyone, we should by rights have more than everyone else and its ok if everyone else pays for it. It's an extreme form of entitlement coming from those who routinely use their position against entitlements as the primary reason for their votes.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
dodger78
Germany
1/30/2017  11:34 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:Good post Dodger. My only edit would be that it's not America First and eff the rest. It's America first at the cost of the rest. Long have Americans viewed themselves as superior to everyone else and it has led to this pervasive notion that not only are we better than everyone, we should by rights have more than everyone else and its ok if everyone else pays for it. It's an extreme form of entitlement coming from those who routinely use their position against entitlements as the primary reason for their votes.

True... at the same time similar ppl with the same sence of entitlement can be found in France (Vive la France-no you are not French... you are coming from one of these collonies from back in the days...), UK (oh man we have been the center of the world in the past... STRONG Empire and all...) and even now in Germany where the rethoric is more like... come on we have been told our errors from the past for long enough... we are such a great Volk we do need to step up for our own NOW or all these refugees will take everything away we worked for so hard (lets just ignore the work all these italian, turkish, spanish and greek etc. workers put in to make our economy great again after these wars back then...

You know... basically its kinda the same thing everywhere with small "local" nouances... but the MAJOR message is always the same... seperation, nationalism and the impact will be felt by everybody... :-(

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
1/30/2017  11:36 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/30/2017  11:39 AM
Dude, are you all still talking about this stuff? We just need to give all the rope he needs to hang himself. I hope he continues to do outlandish stuff. By The end of the year, we will be at war with somebody. By 2019, the economy will tank, and hopefully, these idiots that elected Trump will realize that change for the sake of change is often not a good thing.
Trust the Process
OT: Politics Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy