[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Uhhh game thread.... 8pm at Wolves
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
12/1/2016  9:52 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Knicks are 3-0 without Noah, and if you count the 2nd half Hornachek benched him for, 3.5-0 without Noah. Hindsight is always 20-20 because we did not know that OQuinn, Hernangomez, Plumlee and KP would be playing like this. But I have to think how nice another a shooting wing man would be. Someone that can stretch the floor, defend a little, play the 3 or 2. Holiday is solid but the team could use more firepower at the 2.

Yeah, agree with this. It'd be nice to have a guy like Batum over Noah... but Batum wasn't going anywhere. Frankly, we're extremely lucky to have found Holiday.

We can always nab a 2/3 in the draft this year. I'd focus on trying to draft a guard or wing.

As for Noah - I hate to say it, but I wonder if the new CBA they'll aim to sign this summer will have a new amnesty clause in it?

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Member: #6197

12/1/2016  10:12 AM
Whoa relax. Season is early. Noah will contribute
(5)(5)
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/1/2016  10:22 AM
Noah can contribute, but if he does, it comes at the cost of Hernangomez/O'Quinn and even Plumlee playing Center. Nevermind that KP plays well in terms of team effectivness at 5. It's a great problem to have - an abundance of good bigs - but we need a more balanced roster as well. Another wing instead of Noah or one of our bigs will really help balance the team up. I hope when Lance Thomas comes back, he is actually healthy. We need more players that can do what Kuz and Holiday do. You can't have enough wings who can defend and stretch the floor these days. Hornachek's offense was ran best last night when we had the Plumlee, KP, Kuz, Holiday and Jennings lineup. The need for a wing who can defend, run the floor and shoot a little is far more than having an additional big man.

That said, I think Noah has more value if the team makes the playoffs. Playoffs are a different animal and you need to match up certain players. Noah has much more value in my book in that situation.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/1/2016  10:25 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:That Plumlee, KP, Kuz, Holiday and Jennings lineup was a thing of beauty.

Rose was a problem in this game, he seemed to not know what to do on offense in this game. Caused plenty of confusion. Didn't have a positive impact. Was holding the ball too long. Not sure the exact reason.

The play that really stood out to me and the reason Rose was pulled in the 4th: his defense.

The Knicks had an obvious gameplan to leave Rubio wide open and to go under screens. Dude just can't shoot and you live with him making a jumper. During that big Wolves comeback, Rose goes OVER the pick and Dieng gets a wide open dunk down the lane. KOQ probably played the defense wrong too but Rose was the big culprit. Kudos for coach for yanking Rose immediately.

Can't tell about Rose's fouls during the first half, a lot of them seemed ticky-tack and the refs seemed to be one-sided with their calls all game long.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
holfresh
Member: #1081

12/1/2016  10:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/1/2016  10:46 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Noah can contribute, but if he does, it comes at the cost of Hernangomez/O'Quinn and even Plumlee playing Center. Nevermind that KP plays well in terms of team effectivness at 5. It's a great problem to have - an abundance of good bigs - but we need a more balanced roster as well. Another wing instead of Noah or one of our bigs will really help balance the team up. I hope when Lance Thomas comes back, he is actually healthy. We need more players that can do what Kuz and Holiday do. You can't have enough wings who can defend and stretch the floor these days. Hornachek's offense was ran best last night when we had the Plumlee, KP, Kuz, Holiday and Jennings lineup. The need for a wing who can defend, run the floor and shoot a little is far more than having an additional big man.

That said, I think Noah has more value if the team makes the playoffs. Playoffs are a different animal and you need to match up certain players. Noah has much more value in my book in that situation.

Again, So Towns going 47 and 18, putting up career numbers, in a game that shouldn't be close, doesn't give you pause in making statements like this?..we just eeeked out a win against a team that won 15 games last year, keep that in mind..

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/1/2016  10:44 AM
martin wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:That Plumlee, KP, Kuz, Holiday and Jennings lineup was a thing of beauty.

Rose was a problem in this game, he seemed to not know what to do on offense in this game. Caused plenty of confusion. Didn't have a positive impact. Was holding the ball too long. Not sure the exact reason.

The play that really stood out to me and the reason Rose was pulled in the 4th: his defense.

The Knicks had an obvious gameplan to leave Rubio wide open and to go under screens. Dude just can't shoot and you live with him making a jumper. During that big Wolves comeback, Rose goes OVER the pick and Dieng gets a wide open dunk down the lane. KOQ probably played the defense wrong too but Rose was the big culprit. Kudos for coach for yanking Rose immediately.

Can't tell about Rose's fouls during the first half, a lot of them seemed ticky-tack and the refs seemed to be one-sided with their calls all game long.

I saw the same thing. Rose played it like he was still in Thibs command and went through the pick. Love the defensive tenacity but you have to have some smarts when defending. Need to know what your opponents strengths and weaknesses are. Rose will get it.

Also..KOQ definitely played that wrong. He was caught in no mans land.

martin
USA
12/1/2016  10:45 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
martin wrote:

I saw the same thing. Rose played it like he was still in Thibs command and went through the pick. Love the defensive tenacity but you have to have some smarts when defending. Need to know what your opponents strengths and weaknesses are. Rose will get it.

Also..KOQ definitely played that wrong. He was caught in no mans land.

Here's the thing: I'm like 99% sure the team talked about going under the pick specifically with Rubio. Rose f'ed up big time

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/1/2016  10:55 AM
Great game. Easy to focus on losing the big lead, but that doesn't diminish the good things they did to get that lead. Fantastic job by the role players to come in and bring energy. This was easily won by our bench who brought fresh legs, high BB IQ, aggressive play made sure you had to play a 5 on 5 game.

Strong finish for Melo following another lemon of a game. He wants to win and knows he's struggling. Hopefully this loosens things some for him. One other thing on MElo, I would challenge him to facilitate and limit his minutes. The more winded he gets the dumber he plays. When he's bouncy he's still one of the best. A cool 30 mpg. Does anyone have a problem with Kuz taking 18 minutes a game behind Melo? He's still an impact player. He wants to be here. I think you just keep his minutes down to 30 to maximize his impact.

Such a fun show watching KP and KAT. KAT is so much more powerful than KP. KP has the length and height. I would say at this point KAT is the higher impact player despite his team's poor record but who cares. They are both amazing and we are lucky to have one of these guys.

This game showed more to me than if they had held onto the lead. There was real pressure here and we came up really big late on both sides of the ball. That was a very Paul Pierce type of game for Melo. I always felts like when we played those Bos teams he would have crappy games shooting... he's be like 5-17 with 15 points and it felt like we would have him check, then he would get a big steal, a big strip, hit a couple clutch shots and Knicks lose. Am I imagining this? We really just needed a road win. Nice gut check IMO

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/1/2016  10:58 AM
holfresh wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Noah can contribute, but if he does, it comes at the cost of Hernangomez/O'Quinn and even Plumlee playing Center. Nevermind that KP plays well in terms of team effectivness at 5. It's a great problem to have - an abundance of good bigs - but we need a more balanced roster as well. Another wing instead of Noah or one of our bigs will really help balance the team up. I hope when Lance Thomas comes back, he is actually healthy. We need more players that can do what Kuz and Holiday do. You can't have enough wings who can defend and stretch the floor these days. Hornachek's offense was ran best last night when we had the Plumlee, KP, Kuz, Holiday and Jennings lineup. The need for a wing who can defend, run the floor and shoot a little is far more than having an additional big man.

Again, So Towns going 47 and 18, putting up career numbers, in a game that shouldn't be close, doesn't give you pause in making statements like this?..we just eeeked out a win against a team that won 15 games last year, keep that in mind..

We were up 17 in the 4th and never trailed in the game.
I've said again and again Noah has value. But not certain he is the best starting 5 option. He encourages 4 on 5 play and feeds the isolation and ball dominant play of Rose and Melo. We want to play in a manner we are not reliant on isolation or too much Rose dribbling. I feel Noah is best served playing with the bench. If he starts we need to limit his minutes with Rose n Melo.

Can't overlook the starters with Noah are one of our worst lineups according to advancedstats.

NYKBocker
USA
12/1/2016  11:02 AM
fishmike wrote:Such a fun show watching KP and KAT. KAT is so much more powerful than KP. KP has the length and height. I would say at this point KAT is the higher impact player despite his team's poor record but who cares. They are both amazing and we are lucky to have one of these guys.

I love it! After the game I could not wait for Sportscenter to play this up. I was so dissappointed..they kinda downplayed KP's numbers and pressence in the game. They did a whole segment on Westbrook and a ****ty job on the Knicks/Wolves game. They really could have played this up being a great rivalry but ESPN being ESPN, they just poopood anything Knick. Bastards. Am I hurt? Damn right I am hurt.

martin
USA
12/1/2016  11:07 AM
You know what I didn't see from the media: One mention about the lousy job Thibs is doing ala their record. All offseason and up until this past week they get their dig in - especially the crap writers from the NY Daily News - about how Phil didn't interview Thibs in a manor of dinging him.

Sloppy sloppy

BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
12/1/2016  11:21 AM

At the cost of OQuinn??? Really. This guy sucks. He has a few bright moments overshadowed by suckiness. He is a 3rd string at best. He gets an illegal screen every game, throws passes when the guy isn't open--terrible

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
NYKBocker
USA
12/1/2016  11:21 AM
martin wrote:You know what I didn't see from the media: One mention about the lousy job Thibs is doing ala their record. All offseason and up until this past week they get their dig in - especially the crap writers from the NY Daily News - about how Phil didn't interview Thibs in a manor of dinging him.

Sloppy sloppy

Yup Yup

holfresh

12/1/2016  11:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/1/2016  11:58 AM
I don't understand the jubilation for how our front line played defense last night...Towns went 47 and 18, career numbers...AD completely shut him down a week ago...Towns didn't have an off night, he couldn't get a shot off against AD..
holfresh

12/1/2016  12:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/1/2016  12:03 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
holfresh wrote:

We were up 17 in the 4th and never trailed in the game.
I've said again and again Noah has value. But not certain he is the best starting 5 option. He encourages 4 on 5 play and feeds the isolation and ball dominant play of Rose and Melo. We want to play in a manner we are not reliant on isolation or too much Rose dribbling. I feel Noah is best served playing with the bench. If he starts we need to limit his minutes with Rose n Melo.

Can't overlook the starters with Noah are one of our worst lineups according to advancedstats.

But you can certainly ignore our front line getting destroyed on TV without Noah...Did you miss the OKC game??

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
12/1/2016  2:26 PM
holfresh wrote:I don't understand the jubilation for how our front line played defense last night...Towns went 47 and 18, career numbers...AD completely shut him down a week ago...Towns didn't have an off night, he couldn't get a shot off against AD..

KP is the only big we have quick enough to guard Towns - no coincidence he had his first and only miss of the first half with KP checking him. KP's just not strong enough to do it for the whole game, and it probably would've had him in early foul trouble. Same reason Thibs kept Towns off KP most of the game, too, btw.

¿ △ ?
Chandler
Member: #6197

12/1/2016  3:28 PM
martin wrote:

Good point but fwiw I prefer those errors. Last year our errors were going under on hot shooters or switching. We will rectify this w time.

Our pg mistakes this year are better than our normal pg play last year

(5)(5)
smackeddog
Member: #883
12/1/2016  4:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/1/2016  4:06 PM
Berman has been waging war on Noah since training camp (started laying into him since he refused to go to that dinner with the military folk). How is 3-0 an accurate sample size?
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/1/2016  5:26 PM
fishmike wrote:Great game. Easy to focus on losing the big lead, but that doesn't diminish the good things they did to get that lead. Fantastic job by the role players to come in and bring energy. This was easily won by our bench who brought fresh legs, high BB IQ, aggressive play made sure you had to play a 5 on 5 game.

Strong finish for Melo following another lemon of a game. He wants to win and knows he's struggling. Hopefully this loosens things some for him. One other thing on MElo, I would challenge him to facilitate and limit his minutes. The more winded he gets the dumber he plays. When he's bouncy he's still one of the best. A cool 30 mpg. Does anyone have a problem with Kuz taking 18 minutes a game behind Melo? He's still an impact player. He wants to be here. I think you just keep his minutes down to 30 to maximize his impact.

Such a fun show watching KP and KAT. KAT is so much more powerful than KP. KP has the length and height. I would say at this point KAT is the higher impact player despite his team's poor record but who cares. They are both amazing and we are lucky to have one of these guys.

This game showed more to me than if they had held onto the lead. There was real pressure here and we came up really big late on both sides of the ball. That was a very Paul Pierce type of game for Melo. I always felts like when we played those Bos teams he would have crappy games shooting... he's be like 5-17 with 15 points and it felt like we would have him check, then he would get a big steal, a big strip, hit a couple clutch shots and Knicks lose. Am I imagining this? We really just needed a road win. Nice gut check IMO

Easy with the Kuz, fish. I'd like the kid to be able to do something other than hit threes before Melo benches himself. They mentioned a few times when Cheese came in the game that he looked out of his league going to the basket or trying to do anything on a break. I want Kuz to be more than Novakaine II.

I hate any Paul Pierce memories, but no, it's not your imagination. Every time we played against that azzhole, it seemed he'd be towel waving or peeing in Spike's beer at the end of every game. And you notice something different about Melo? He makes the shot, he jams the inbounds and ends the game, and he's not dancing around jerking himself off in front of the crowd. He's just talking to Wiggins. Interesting difference.

PP was a an aptly named d-ck.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/1/2016  5:36 PM
jrodmc wrote:
fishmike wrote:Great game. Easy to focus on losing the big lead, but that doesn't diminish the good things they did to get that lead. Fantastic job by the role players to come in and bring energy. This was easily won by our bench who brought fresh legs, high BB IQ, aggressive play made sure you had to play a 5 on 5 game.

Easy with the Kuz, fish. I'd like the kid to be able to do something other than hit threes before Melo benches himself. They mentioned a few times when Cheese came in the game that he looked out of his league going to the basket or trying to do anything on a break. I want Kuz to be more than Novakaine II.

I hate any Paul Pierce memories, but no, it's not your imagination. Every time we played against that azzhole, it seemed he'd be towel waving or peeing in Spike's beer at the end of every game. And you notice something different about Melo? He makes the shot, he jams the inbounds and ends the game, and he's not dancing around jerking himself off in front of the crowd. He's just talking to Wiggins. Interesting difference.

PP was a an aptly named d-ck.

That he was. ITs not about Kuz, its about limiting Melo's minutes. I would like a consistent 30 minutes. I think the 8 minutes at his age is a big impact. We dont win without Melo despite what the haters say. He's here regardless. So how do we set Melo up to have the highest impact he can with this team? To me, especially on defense the answer is simple.. keep him fresh. I have no agendas here
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Uhhh game thread.... 8pm at Wolves

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy