[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2016-17 College basketball thread
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/30/2016  8:16 AM
First off I get a feeling Villanova will go back to back and nc will be a team they need to beat. Also this will be the best big east conf in 15 years

So far from what I have seen in just big men. I believe I have identified a high lottery center named Justin Patton from Creighton who looks like he will be an impact nba player as he increases in body weight. I haven't see his name attached to any draft sites and certainly it's become obvious that there are 5-6 high level nba pg prospects but I'm going to assume Patton will be up there.

Two other big guys I like. Ethan Happ from Wisconsin has an old school Kevin Mchale pf game. I don't think he's a lottery pick as he lacks some explosion but boy is he skilled with a world of potential as something of a high end role player who could start 4 in the nba in 3 years

Lastly I like Tacko Fall the center from Ucf he doesn't have the same pure nba upside as Patton but his body stamina improvement has done wonders for him and he is the absolute wildcats of the next draft. He's so big that it's impossible to completely gauge what he can do. He has good hands which makes him a high quality rebounder and at 7-6 300 with some lift he's an anchor on a defense and ucf is already showing great defensive team abilities

Obviously I haven't seen many of he teams but these 3 big guys stood out to me. Will work on 2-3s. And finally 1s over the next month

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/30/2016  10:03 AM
Briggs Nuggets.
Justin Patton was named big east player of the week so its not like briggsy went to some remote village and discovered him all by himself.
Also in October, he was named a preseason top 20 center via:
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2016-10-21/college-basketball-20-players-named-2017-kareem-abdul-jabbar

Why nalod being snarky? Just putting it out there that watching some college hoops and some early season success of not so famous brand name players is not make for some super sluth scout.
Not all execellent players are on legacy NCAA teams like UNC, Duke or UK, but come from mid majors. With some schools now in major conferences, they get some good exposure.
Btw, Patton is a center, not a pg. You perhaps thinking about the kid Foster, a transfer from Kansas state that had a great week on the same team.

They played Loyola and Omaha. Lets see how they fair the rest of the way.

BRIGGS
11/30/2016  10:22 AM
Nalod wrote:Briggs Nuggets.
Justin Patton was named big east player of the week so its not like briggsy went to some remote village and discovered him all by himself.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2016-10-21/college-basketball-20-players-named-2017-kareem-abdul-jabbar

Why nalod being snarky? Just putting it out there that watching some college hoops and some early season success of not so famous brand name players is not make for some super sluth scout.
Not all execellent players are on legacy NCAA teams like UNC, Duke or UK, but come from mid majors. With some schools now in major conferences, they get some good exposure.
Btw, Patton is a center, not a pg. You perhaps thinking about the kid Foster, a transfer from Kansas state that had a great week on the same team.

Yeah I think I know hes a C since I saw him twice now. There are an obvious 5-6 really high caliber PGs in college right now--but what Im am surmising is over time that Patton will have a chance to climb up into recognition of a top 5 or 6 pick. Im not sure who is what player of the week where--I simply see a player and mention it here. My guess is 99% of posters never heard of these players before.

Heres a new video of him--you can see how fluid he runs in transition and reasonably advanced post moves for 19 and 7 feet.

RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
USA
11/30/2016  10:38 AM
BRIGGS wrote:

Yeah I think I know hes a C since I saw him twice now. There are an obvious 5-6 really high caliber PGs in college right now--but what Im am surmising is over time that Patton will have a chance to climb up into recognition of a top 5 or 6 pick. Im not sure who is what player of the week where--I simply see a player and mention it here. My guess is 99% of posters never heard of these players before.

Heres a new video of him--you can see how fluid he runs in transition and reasonably advanced post moves for 19 and 7 feet.

Is PG not "Point Guard"?

He was a preseaon top 20 pick and there was no ranking per se.
OK but you do realize you promote it as if they are "Your findings". And since you do it frequently, your going to find some good ones that rise the rankings.
No problem. I am a more causual College basketball watcher and I never heard of him. When I looked him up, I saw he was red shirted previously and he had some preseason cred.
So I do appreciate this kind of stuff as it might make it interesting when flipping channels.

I say give this Briggs his own "Sticky" college thread and let him have his voice!!!!!

BRIGGS
11/30/2016  2:25 PM
My main guy for round 2 will be the same all year--Josh Hart from Villanova--I think he can help the Knicks today right now. Hes not on any draft sites because hes a senior but hes just better than most SG with good size that will be available.

There is a guy I like for a few years to fall out of the draft named Zeek Woodley.

There is some good seniors this year

RIP Crushalot😞
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

11/30/2016  3:10 PM

I like this Frank Kaminsky kid out of Wisconsin

Nalod
USA
11/30/2016  3:23 PM
LivingLegend wrote:

I like this Frank Kaminsky kid out of Wisconsin

Now now, lets not go full tilt on this, a poster is willing to stick their neck out and unless we do the same we can't be overly critical.
Frank the tank is a solid pro who after mostly playing awful did stick a dagger into the knicks heart saturday nite. I thought the kid was cooked for the night and then he came up big. Not KP, not Melo but Frank the Tank!!!
No all star, but very solid.

callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

11/30/2016  7:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/30/2016  7:28 PM
a couple of my NCAA thoughts:

-they need to stop having these big time matchups early in the season because these teams are NOT good yet. (besides that kansas vs indiana game)
- too much over-referring kills the sport. now theyre thinking of 6 fouls.smh
- Duke is #1 despite missing 3 of their most talented players. WOW ive never seen that before. UNC might be the actual best team in the country
- Xavier and Creighton are really good.
- my Syracuse team should play more small ball (with lydon at the 5) but they choose to stay big cuz of the zone.
in terms of prospects: Ball and Fultz have impressed me the most so far.
- overall, its tough to evaluate NCAA prospects because the NCAA game is almost completely different from the NBA game. for example, i think Bam Bam Abedayo will be a terrific pro (d. howard clone) yet you would never know based on watching an NCAA game (they pack the paint so he cant dive to the rim)
- im not into finding 2nd round hidden gems. you just never know what can happen becuase there are so many variables: motivation, position, team, etc

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
BRIGGS
11/30/2016  11:37 PM
callmened wrote:a couple of my NCAA thoughts:

-they need to stop having these big time matchups early in the season because these teams are NOT good yet. (besides that kansas vs indiana game)
- Duke is #1 despite missing 3 of their most talented players. WOW ive never seen that before. UNC might be the actual best team in the country
- my Syracuse team should play more small ball (with lydon at the 5) but they choose to stay big cuz of the zone.
- overall, its tough to evaluate NCAA prospects because the NCAA game is almost completely different from the NBA game. for example, i think Bam Bam Abedayo will be a terrific pro (d. howard clone) yet you would never know based on watching an NCAA game (they pack the paint so he cant dive to the rim)
- im not into finding 2nd round hidden gems. you just never know what can happen becuase there are so many variables: motivation, position, team, etc

Defense in college basketball is just the equalizer. You saw it tonight with NC. You can look so good but you run into a team that can simply lock down and bang

RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
USA
12/1/2016  10:04 AM

Duke is 4th having lost their 1st game nov. 15th and thus fell out of Number 1 spot about 10 days ago. Thus, injuries did play a role. You don't lose your no. 1 status until you lose a game.
UNC might be the best, but they lost last nite too.
I like this early tough schedule thing BEFORE conference play, the teams will be more prepared heading into the real season instead of blow out scrimmages against lessor teams.
Its very tough to evaluate players. Its why NBA draft is not easy. Its why March madness gets darlings and fans forget about international players, then fans boo when they are picked over the recent tournament darlings !!! Some young fans actually cry over it!!!
2nd round gems are tough also they need to really blow coach's away in summerleauge and in camp otherwise they fall into the forgotten zone. Late bloomers are penalized badly.

Just follow Briggs, he'll find them for you!

callmened

12/1/2016  12:19 PM
Nalod wrote:

Duke is 4th having lost their 1st game nov. 15th and thus fell out of Number 1 spot about 10 days ago. Thus, injuries did play a role. You don't lose your no. 1 status until you lose a game.
UNC might be the best, but they lost last nite too.
I like this early tough schedule thing BEFORE conference play, the teams will be more prepared heading into the real season instead of blow out scrimmages against lessor teams.
Its very tough to evaluate players. Its why NBA draft is not easy. Its why March madness gets darlings and fans forget about international players, then fans boo when they are picked over the recent tournament darlings !!! Some young fans actually cry over it!!!
2nd round gems are tough also they need to really blow coach's away in summerleauge and in camp otherwise they fall into the forgotten zone. Late bloomers are penalized badly.

Just follow Briggs, he'll find them for you!

my bad i copied and pasted these thoughts from another site a few weeks ago. yeah duke has since lost to kansas. but its amazing that theyre still good without their best players

also, yes i think their should be a TOUGH schedule before conference games start. but maybe they should be in december after teams have had more time to gel. play 5-6 cupcake teams and figure out how to play before getting truly tested

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
BRIGGS
12/4/2016  6:37 AM
Josh Hart triple double yesterday. I think he is following the path of Jae Crowder and Jimmy Butler
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
12/4/2016  2:22 PM
Best game of year so far Kentucky ucla
RIP Crushalot😞
callmened

12/4/2016  5:03 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Best game of year so far Kentucky ucla

hmmmm? indiana vs kansas mightve been better but i cant argue with the UCLA game. fun to watch!!

TJ Leak will be a solid pro one day

BRIGGS
12/7/2016  4:41 PM
I think Luke Kennard has driven his stock very high right now. He reminds of Chris Mullin--a little more athletic. Hes a nice passer and rebounder to go with a tremendous shot. He fits what the NBA is now.

RIP Crushalot😞
callmened

12/7/2016  8:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/9/2016  12:23 AM
kennard will be a great 4 yr college player and then make lots of money overseas
BRIGGS
12/8/2016  1:13 PM
callmened wrote:kenna will be a great 4 yr college player and then make lots of money overseas

He's getting some hype now. But quickly he is in the pass shoot rebound handle type player with excellent efficiency and size that you like that may be available after pick 17

RIP Crushalot😞
callmened

12/9/2016  12:26 AM
he's getting some hype now cuz theyre three best players are out. kennard is a nice college player but i dont see him in the NBA. i think grayson allen has a better chance at the NBA and hes not that good. the best player right now on duke is amile jefferson and HE has no shot at the nba. to me ncaa player or team success doesnt correlate to the nba anymore. giles is a transcendant player on the next level. if hes smart, he wont play a DAY at duke and just keep rehabbing those knees for free
BRIGGS
12/9/2016  12:09 PM
I'm adding Pf HassanMartin from RI into our 2nd round pick choices. He's a 6-8 240 pounder who actually reminds me a lot of Kenyon Martin. I think if we move kp to 5 an athletic physical pf is something we don't have - of our issues is interior defenses and he could be a potentially nice player for us. I'm really looking for physically superior players especially athletic or the 5 tool player with good size and high level efficiency
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
12/10/2016  2:12 PM
BRIGGS wrote:My main guy for round 2 will be the same all year--Josh Hart from Villanova--I think he can help the Knicks today right now. Hes not on any draft sites because hes a senior but hes just better than most SG with good size that will be available.

There is a guy I like for a few years to fall out of the draft named Zeek Woodley.

There is some good seniors this year

Hart has worked himself into rd 1. He can easily play 1-2. Hes 6-5 215 athletic multi dexterous smart shifty strong excellent rebounder defender

RIP Crushalot😞
2016-17 College basketball thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy