OKC Thunder vs NY Knicks game thread...
Author Thread
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
11/29/2016  12:52 PM
crzymdups wrote:
blkexec wrote:
magicTs wrote:Noah just made some very interesting comments.

He basically called out himself and Melo without naming names. Not aggressive enough defensively. Not moving the ball and too selfish offensively.

Thats what I saw.....Either Melo's IQ on defense is low, or he just wasn't focused on defense. He got caught looking at the ball too much and allowed his man to sneak in for each buckets. KP knows he's guarding a 3 pt shooter, and he's 7'3....but he still gave his man too much room. It's like KP is afraid of getting beat off the dribble. But he needs to understand he's long enough to makeup for that, and he can just meet his man and the ball at the rim.

Melo was also slow on guarding his man from 3......

It's called the westbrook affect. He forces you to pay too much attention to him, which is why others are playing a soft D on their man.

KOQ's bully ball energy on defense and rebounding is needed against teams like OKC. Other finese teams, his skills may not be needed as much. Jeff Horny needs to see this. Noah might have helped us win this game if he played in the 4th. Same with KOQ.

I believe one of the big issues is that Melo is a 4 not a 3. I don't know what the best solution for the center position is, but Melo can't play the 3 on defense. He just can't.

Agree....you can use your speed against Melo, but in most cases, you will not be able to over power him.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
11/29/2016  12:56 PM
Melo has the size to play 4 and the skills of a 3.

KP has the size to play 5 and the skills of a 4.

Lee has the size to play 3 and the skills of a 2.

Rose has the size to play 2 and the skills of a 2

Sounds like we may not be putting our players in the best position to succeed.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/29/2016  1:43 PM
blkexec wrote:Melo has the size to play 4 and the skills of a 3.

I think if you really gave Jeff some Truth Serum he'd tell you he wants to change the lineups to what he's done in the past and play these guys at the spots that make more sense for their talent. That wouldn't change the problems inside against a bruising team like OKC but in terms of how this team plays on most nights I believe it would be better to play small with Melo and KP at the 4-5 spots. Start Holiday at SF. You could play 4 out and PnR Rose and KP like crazy. Melo would be able to play more catch and shoot than ISO. I just think it's very similar to how the 54 win team played but with KP being more versatile.
reub
Member: #6227

11/29/2016  1:52 PM
I'd like to see Plumlee play the next time we go up against Adams and Kanter. They won't push him around.
blkexec
11/29/2016  2:47 PM
nixluva wrote:
blkexec wrote:Melo has the size to play 4 and the skills of a 3.

I think if you really gave Jeff some Truth Serum he'd tell you he wants to change the lineups to what he's done in the past and play these guys at the spots that make more sense for their talent. That wouldn't change the problems inside against a bruising team like OKC but in terms of how this team plays on most nights I believe it would be better to play small with Melo and KP at the 4-5 spots. Start Holiday at SF. You could play 4 out and PnR Rose and KP like crazy. Melo would be able to play more catch and shoot than ISO. I just think it's very similar to how the 54 win team played but with KP being more versatile.

The problem is Melo is not a superstar, when he plays catch and shoot. He becomes a streaky JR Smith. The reason I say this is because it took me some time to change from ISO to catch and shoot. Ever since the change, I haven't been the same go to guy. ISO ball is how Melo mades his millions. When he's in that mode, he can carry a team. He gets in a nice rhythm and the team can ride him all game. When he's catch and shoot, then it's a waste of money to even have him on the team, and I'm sure he knows it. But at this point, Melo is going to be Melo......Just have to work around that until he's gone.

Small ball turns us from a defensive team into a high scoring team. We give up buckets, but we make easy buckets. If it works, most teams will adapt their lineup to ours. It's a tricky thing to do....But Jeff can and I'm sure he has checked to see how his small ball lineup would look. The problem is there are too many elephants in the room......

Noah and Phil.....

Regardless if you play small or big, there will be a team that plays the opposite. The question is, are we better as a team playing small or big? We've started the season playing big. But when we started winning and in certain games during the 4th quarter, we've played small (without Noah). And really, it's not about playing small, it's about putting 5 guys on the court that can score. Even with KOQ starting at center, we've looked better than Noah starting.

OKC Thunder vs NY Knicks game thread...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy