[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OKC Thunder vs NY Knicks game thread...
Author Thread
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

11/28/2016  10:25 PM
Rose is definitely looking more and more like his old self. We should run more Rose/KP screen rolls. We don't run enough of them. Rose is an elite driver and can get to the basket and score. KP can shoot extremely well. The defense does not know what to do there, if they follow Rose it's giving KP open looks. If the big stays back with KP, Rose has an easy blow by drive. This should be our bread and butter play, and we don't milk it. Instead we go to Melo Isolations. We should also go to Rose/Melo pick and roll or 2 man games. Same idea as with KP. You have Melo set the pick.

Whenever we have run those 2 man games it has looked fantastic. Don't know why Jeff lets Melo isolation so much. He wasn't an isolation coach in Phenoix. He was about pace, point guards creating and bigs spacing the floor. I hate to say this, but I can't see Jeff truly run his offense until Noah and Melo play more fitting roles. Melo has to play more of an off the ball spot up shooting game with some flurries of iso play. Noah has to play exclusively without Melo to not instigate the isolation play from the team. Once the opposing team sees Noah is not threat they simply let Noah's man roam more often and play other guys tight. We're clearly seeing why Chicago is doing better without Noah this year. Don't get me wrong, Noah has a role on a good team. Just not as a starter or core player. He's an energizer off the bench. You have to switch him and O'Quinn or Hernangomez.

AUTOADVERT
holfresh
Member: #1081

11/28/2016  10:26 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
holfresh wrote:Everyone raving about the play of the Knick bench this year..What am I missing?

They have been playing well, but rooks, untested players, went up against a front line that has championship experience, still in their primes. It happens. Part of the learning process.

I guess they are ok if you don't care about making the playoffs but these guys aren't ready for these type of games..
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/28/2016  10:34 PM
No blow outs. Progress.
Contending with good teams. Progress.
Bench is getting better. Progress.
Derrik Rose is a stud. Progress.
KP improved from his rookie year. Progress.
Melo, Has to find his space within this progress. That is progress.

It does not result in wins as we would wish, but it has to be. Teams have learn how to win together. Its not always pretty.
OKC is a good team with some proven pieces.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/28/2016  10:37 PM
Get some fargin rebounds dont fargin hog the ball this is such a one on oen team but it doesnt have to be were not there yet/
RIP Crushalot😞
Knicks67
Member: #6370

11/28/2016  10:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/28/2016  10:48 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Melo has 18 points on 24 scoring possessions or attempts/shots at the basket (including FT's). 4-18 from the field. Pathetic for a franchise player. Unacceptable. The Knicks go to 8-9 and the haters will say it's the Triangle and Phil Jackson, and yet if Melo plays like a star is supposed to at this level, the Knicks are 2 or 3 wins better.

Rose and KP had good games, KP struggled with the physicality of the game. This is a game KP has to learn from. You have to deal with physical teams. Sometimes calls don't go your way. He dealt with it well.

Noah, I just don't know. Yeah I like the passes, I like the hustle. In the end I see a player who makes us too Melo centric. When your 5 man can not score, he can not catch and finish, what is likely to happen is your top creators will have more pressure to score. Sure, if it's Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant they can thrive with a player like Noah. Carmelo Anthony does not. Noah is bringing out the worst in this lineup.

This team has to get it's act together and Hornachek has to make some changes. The starting lineup is better with O'Quinn. O'Quinn is a scoring threat and does not pass up open looks. The Knicks need to let this season be Hernangomez's development season. As good as Noah can be defensively in certain situations, right now I see him as a 3rd string Center. If we are going to lose and be a team that struggles to stay above .500, I'd like to see us develop the players who will be here next season and are young in O'Quinn (25) Hernangomez (22) and Kuz (27).

Good scoring game from Rose. Just extremely upset with Melo's game. To be playing like this when all you have said is about your desire to bring a championship to NY. You have Rose and KP. Hornachek has minimized the Triangle and opened up the game. Yet here we are in year 5 of Melo era and it's the same stuff. D'Antoni, Woodson, Fisher, Rambis and now Hornachek. A spade is a spade. He will not win or possibly even get out of the 1st round so long as he's a team's best player. Maybe 4 years ago in his prime. He's slowly exited and yet still playing like he is the best player on the team. He isn't. In terms of impact, Melo may be our 3rd most valuable player right now. As great as his isolation moves and jumper is, when he isn't scoring is, he's pretty much a liability.

Truth. If a trade comes up for Anthony and he would be willing to lift that clause take it. I can't see the Knicks winning anything like this. Battling into the playoffs isn't what I want, I want a future. If finally building around Kristaps by getting one good young players in trade or draft so be it. I'd rather be a contender in four or five years, than a 6-7-8 seed for the next two before we break down and leave Kristaps with no help. Melo, get that ring elsewhere,he would be a massive help to a contender. However, I think something just isn't clicking for the Knicks right now and Melo isn't helping. Perhaps there is a destination like Boston or the Hawks just on the cuff of really being a threat to the Cavs who melo would agree to going to.

magicTs
Member: #5564

11/28/2016  10:46 PM
Noah just made some very interesting comments.

He basically called out himself and Melo without naming names. Not aggressive enough defensively. Not moving the ball and too selfish offensively.

y2zipper
Member: #3287

11/28/2016  11:18 PM
I definitely think Melo needs to be more self-aware and not force it, especially if he's off.

Rose was awesome out there most of the night. I wish he had better vision as well, but he is at least providing dribble penetration. It's also good to see strides from Porzingis and the Knicks should be running that 2-man game whenever they can.

Bigger concern is defense. It just isn't there at all right now...

Gudris
Member: #6213

11/29/2016  12:20 AM
y2zipper wrote:I definitely think Melo needs to be more self-aware and not force it, especially if he's off.

Rose was awesome out there most of the night. I wish he had better vision as well, but he is at least providing dribble penetration. It's also good to see strides from Porzingis and the Knicks should be running that 2-man game whenever they can.

Bigger concern is defense. It just isn't there at all right now...

Melo did take less shots than Rose and KP, problem was that he missed 80% of them, maybe more

sidneydeane
Member: #6384

11/29/2016  5:24 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Rose is definitely looking more and more like his old self. We should run more Rose/KP screen rolls. We don't run enough of them. Rose is an elite driver and can get to the basket and score. KP can shoot extremely well. The defense does not know what to do there, if they follow Rose it's giving KP open looks. If the big stays back with KP, Rose has an easy blow by drive. This should be our bread and butter play, and we don't milk it. Instead we go to Melo Isolations. We should also go to Rose/Melo pick and roll or 2 man games. Same idea as with KP. You have Melo set the pick.

Whenever we have run those 2 man games it has looked fantastic. Don't know why Jeff lets Melo isolation so much. He wasn't an isolation coach in Phenoix. He was about pace, point guards creating and bigs spacing the floor. I hate to say this, but I can't see Jeff truly run his offense until Noah and Melo play more fitting roles. Melo has to play more of an off the ball spot up shooting game with some flurries of iso play. Noah has to play exclusively without Melo to not instigate the isolation play from the team. Once the opposing team sees Noah is not threat they simply let Noah's man roam more often and play other guys tight. We're clearly seeing why Chicago is doing better without Noah this year. Don't get me wrong, Noah has a role on a good team. Just not as a starter or core player. He's an energizer off the bench. You have to switch him and O'Quinn or Hernangomez.

THIS

holfresh

11/29/2016  7:41 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Rose is definitely looking more and more like his old self. We should run more Rose/KP screen rolls. We don't run enough of them. Rose is an elite driver and can get to the basket and score. KP can shoot extremely well. The defense does not know what to do there, if they follow Rose it's giving KP open looks. If the big stays back with KP, Rose has an easy blow by drive. This should be our bread and butter play, and we don't milk it. Instead we go to Melo Isolations. We should also go to Rose/Melo pick and roll or 2 man games. Same idea as with KP. You have Melo set the pick.

KP doesn't like to roll to the basket in regards to your more KP screen and roll request..On two consecutive plays in the 4th, he didn't roll..Just stood there and Melo had to take a difficult shot with two defenders close to him..

Melo is a tremendous passer out of the pick and roll..That should be a staple of the offense..
holfresh

11/29/2016  7:43 AM
The Knicks problem is defense..The coach has to be committed to defense and he has to demand the team play defense..Everything else is secondary..The team can score..
Chandler
Member: #6197

11/29/2016  8:22 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Melo has 18 points on 24 scoring possessions or attempts/shots at the basket (including FT's). 4-18 from the field. Pathetic for a franchise player. Unacceptable. The Knicks go to 8-9 and the haters will say it's the Triangle and Phil Jackson, and yet if Melo plays like a star is supposed to at this level, the Knicks are 2 or 3 wins better.

Rose and KP had good games, KP struggled with the physicality of the game. This is a game KP has to learn from. You have to deal with physical teams. Sometimes calls don't go your way. He dealt with it well.

Noah, I just don't know. Yeah I like the passes, I like the hustle. In the end I see a player who makes us too Melo centric. When your 5 man can not score, he can not catch and finish, what is likely to happen is your top creators will have more pressure to score. Sure, if it's Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant they can thrive with a player like Noah. Carmelo Anthony does not. Noah is bringing out the worst in this lineup.

This team has to get it's act together and Hornachek has to make some changes. The starting lineup is better with O'Quinn. O'Quinn is a scoring threat and does not pass up open looks. The Knicks need to let this season be Hernangomez's development season. As good as Noah can be defensively in certain situations, right now I see him as a 3rd string Center. If we are going to lose and be a team that struggles to stay above .500, I'd like to see us develop the players who will be here next season and are young in O'Quinn (25) Hernangomez (22) and Kuz (27).

Good scoring game from Rose. Just extremely upset with Melo's game. To be playing like this when all you have said is about your desire to bring a championship to NY. You have Rose and KP. Hornachek has minimized the Triangle and opened up the game. Yet here we are in year 5 of Melo era and it's the same stuff. D'Antoni, Woodson, Fisher, Rambis and now Hornachek. A spade is a spade. He will not win or possibly even get out of the 1st round so long as he's a team's best player. Maybe 4 years ago in his prime. He's slowly exited and yet still playing like he is the best player on the team. He isn't. In terms of impact, Melo may be our 3rd most valuable player right now. As great as his isolation moves and jumper is, when he isn't scoring is, he's pretty much a liability.

A lot of good points here^

Not sure I agree Noah causes ISO. That might be happening but certainly doesn't have to happen

Noah is an excellent facilitator and when he's in the game the ball should be moving. What the team and Noah need to develop are some plays to punish the defense if Noah's defender leaves him

Also I hope The game serves as a lesson that you can win w size and physicalit. It's about matchups

(5)(5)
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/29/2016  8:37 AM
I hate Russell Westbrook. Especially when he gets to guard Noah.
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

11/29/2016  8:40 AM
WP76 wrote:Westbrook is so much better than Melo, it's not even funny. Could you imagine KP and Russell on the same roster?

Quote of the night! How about, what if Westbrook played on the same roster with Kevin Durant? And Adams, who just made our 2 bigs look like little kids. And what if he played with Kantor, who just lit us up and bullied KP? Maybe Ibaka? Oh wait, they did play together and they won what?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/29/2016  9:45 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
WP76 wrote:Westbrook is so much better than Melo, it's not even funny. Could you imagine KP and Russell on the same roster?

Quote of the night! How about, what if Westbrook played on the same roster with Kevin Durant? And Adams, who just made our 2 bigs look like little kids. And what if he played with Kantor, who just lit us up and bullied KP? Maybe Ibaka? Oh wait, they did play together and they won what?

Is there some sort of Melohate alert that goes out from the UK that has all these df7th and tkf wannabes show up and start posting? I sure as hell hope they at least click on the ad banners...

blkexec
Member: #748
11/29/2016  9:52 AM
magicTs wrote:Noah just made some very interesting comments.

He basically called out himself and Melo without naming names. Not aggressive enough defensively. Not moving the ball and too selfish offensively.

Thats what I saw.....Either Melo's IQ on defense is low, or he just wasn't focused on defense. He got caught looking at the ball too much and allowed his man to sneak in for each buckets. KP knows he's guarding a 3 pt shooter, and he's 7'3....but he still gave his man too much room. It's like KP is afraid of getting beat off the dribble. But he needs to understand he's long enough to makeup for that, and he can just meet his man and the ball at the rim.

Melo was also slow on guarding his man from 3......

It's called the westbrook affect. He forces you to pay too much attention to him, which is why others are playing a soft D on their man.

KOQ's bully ball energy on defense and rebounding is needed against teams like OKC. Other finese teams, his skills may not be needed as much. Jeff Horny needs to see this. Noah might have helped us win this game if he played in the 4th. Same with KOQ.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/29/2016  9:58 AM
blkexec wrote:

Thats what I saw.....Either Melo's IQ on defense is low, or he just wasn't focused on defense. He got caught looking at the ball too much and allowed his man to sneak in for each buckets. KP knows he's guarding a 3 pt shooter, and he's 7'3....but he still gave his man too much room. It's like KP is afraid of getting beat off the dribble. But he needs to understand he's long enough to makeup for that, and he can just meet his man and the ball at the rim.

It's called the westbrook affect. He forces you to pay too much attention to him, which is why others are playing a soft D on their man.

KOQ's bully ball energy on defense and rebounding is needed against teams like OKC. Other finese teams, his skills may not be needed as much. Jeff Horny needs to see this. Noah might have helped us win this game if he played in the 4th. Same with KOQ.

I believe one of the big issues is that Melo is a 4 not a 3. I don't know what the best solution for the center position is, but Melo can't play the 3 on defense. He just can't.

¿ △ ?
Welpee
Member: #6239

11/29/2016  10:42 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Don't forget James Harden was once in the mix.
holfresh

11/29/2016  10:49 AM
blkexec wrote:

It's funny because Melo was reaming Noah in game about his defensive rotation the game prior...
blkexec
Member: #748
11/29/2016  12:46 PM
holfresh wrote:
blkexec wrote:

It's funny because Melo was reaming Noah in game about his defensive rotation the game prior...

The problem I see is that each position is slow to react to their man. Which is why one game, zone was their best defense.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
OKC Thunder vs NY Knicks game thread...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy