Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Welpee wrote:
teamsport72 wrote:Do not dress Melo for second games of back-to-backs!
Especially, if on the road. Net negative value.
Make it look as a sign of respect for the veteran, like as if preserving his legs for the playoff run!
In his absence others can be expected to willingly put in that little extra effort which decides games like the one last night.
Will see if Hornacek figures this out as the season goes.
Yeah, because the 22 pts, 6 reb, and 2.5 assists he averages in the 2nd of back to back games is so easy to replace. Meanwhile KP averages only 16 ppg in the 2nd of back to backs and nobody says a word.

Yeah PPG is a great way to measure overall offensive production. I could get 22 in an NBA game if they let me shoot every single time down the court. That is Melo's philosophy as well. I'm going to get 20 points even if it takes 30 shots to get there. He has more talent around him now, he has no business shooting 25 times when he is that off. It was a brutal performance last night. He cost them the game. This is why the Knicks will always float around .500, Carmelo will have good nights and they win, followed by a ghastly performance giving them little to no chance of winning.

Melo was the reason we lost last night? smh!

Why is it so hard to believe that Melo did more harm than good in this game? He shot 7 of 25. The team was -16 with him on the court and +11 with him off the court (the worst plus minus on the team).
Let me post this disclaimer first: I am not saying anything negative about KP, just using him as an example of the selective use of advance stats:

KP is -18.3 in +/- in the 2nd game of back to back games. So does that mean he's hurting us?

It *might* mean he has hurt the team in 2nd games of back to backs. All I wrote was that the idea that Melo had hurt the team in that one game wasn't far-fetched. I'm sure Michael Jordan had games where he hurt his team too.
So Saturday night we would've been better off if Melo didn't play? Or in the Boston game when KP was -24 we would've been better if he didn't play?

Saturday if we didn't play Melo (-16), Lee (-15), Noah (-12), Rose (-9) and Willy (-8) and just played KP (0), O'Quinn (+13), Kuz (+2), Holiday (+11), Jennings (+2), and Vujacic (+7) you think we probably win?

I cited +/- AND shooting as two examples of stats suggesting the idea he hurt the team was not far-fetched. You have A) ignored that I mentioned the shooting stats and B) interpreted my saying "it's not far-fetched that he might have done more harm than good" as my saying "I know he did more harm than good and know the team would have won if he sat out." I'm not sure if you're intentionally being difficult or you're just really having trouble understanding what I'm saying.

And in the case of those +/- stats, most of those players played with Melo on the court. So of course they had bad +/- #s. It's more revealing when you have *the lowest* plus/minus on the team. Nevertheless, that is just one of many stats to look at. I don't see any stats that would indicate Melo had a positive impact on that game.

My problem is we only go through these type of exercises to slam Melo and most only do it to validate their predetermined hate for the guy. Melo had a bad game, nobody is disputing that. He was among a group of many players who didn't play well. But do you really believe we're better not having our best player on the floor even if he's not having a good game?

+/- is a very tricky stat to try and use to draw conclusions with. I would bet that everyone who watched the game would praise Jennings for how he played (myself included). He was only a +2. Yet what exactly did Vujacic do for +7?

Did Melo play poorly? Yes. Was he a major contributor to the loss? Of course. Was he solely responsible for the loss (not saying that you said this, but others have insinuated it)? No. Would we have won the game if he sat? Impossible to determine, but (though admittedly this is an entirely different team this year) we were 0-10 last season when he didn't play.

AUTOADVERT
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/28/2016  8:17 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
teamsport72 wrote:Am I the only one here seeing that Melo does not and never had what it takes to win? Please! Let him do his act of image making and smiling after bad mistakes whenever he's fresh and before a home crowd, he will still be able to come up big once in a while... do not make away games hinge on the princess :-) Those are winnable games, by the way...just not on a 5/30 shooting :-))

You are NOT alone my friend -- it's very obvious this cat doesn't have what it takes.

He only sees himself as someone special -- someone deserving special treatment, special privilege. Yes he can play in a team concept but only when he chooses and/or feels like it and god forbid don't anyone say anything negative about him or he will go into tank mode and start trying to get Horny fired.

Melo is like the little kid from the old Twilight Zone movie --- the kid who would send anyone to the corn field if they said anything he didn't like or if he didn't get his way. He will play how he likes, when he wants and with that no-trade clause there is nothing any Knick fan or Phil can do about it -- thanks Phil for that one.

TDKF7? Is that you?! Post with angenda much?

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/29/2016  12:14 AM
It is unfair to blame Melo for what he is.
He is a scorer. He gives you bakets.
Him being on the team is not his fault.
He was given a contract to do the same thing he has always done.
And he does it exactly the same way.
Make him do it differently is the same as wanting Lion stop eating meat and snake stop biting.
So lets hope Melo have a lot more bukets in him for us to make.
At least we will be entertained.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/29/2016  7:21 AM
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Make it look as a sign of respect for the veteran, like as if preserving his legs for the playoff run!
In his absence others can be expected to willingly put in that little extra effort which decides games like the one last night.
Yeah, because the 22 pts, 6 reb, and 2.5 assists he averages in the 2nd of back to back games is so easy to replace. Meanwhile KP averages only 16 ppg in the 2nd of back to backs and nobody says a word.

Yeah PPG is a great way to measure overall offensive production. I could get 22 in an NBA game if they let me shoot every single time down the court. That is Melo's philosophy as well. I'm going to get 20 points even if it takes 30 shots to get there. He has more talent around him now, he has no business shooting 25 times when he is that off. It was a brutal performance last night. He cost them the game. This is why the Knicks will always float around .500, Carmelo will have good nights and they win, followed by a ghastly performance giving them little to no chance of winning.

Why is it so hard to believe that Melo did more harm than good in this game? He shot 7 of 25. The team was -16 with him on the court and +11 with him off the court (the worst plus minus on the team).
Let me post this disclaimer first: I am not saying anything negative about KP, just using him as an example of the selective use of advance stats:

KP is -18.3 in +/- in the 2nd game of back to back games. So does that mean he's hurting us?

It *might* mean he has hurt the team in 2nd games of back to backs. All I wrote was that the idea that Melo had hurt the team in that one game wasn't far-fetched. I'm sure Michael Jordan had games where he hurt his team too.
So Saturday night we would've been better off if Melo didn't play? Or in the Boston game when KP was -24 we would've been better if he didn't play?

Saturday if we didn't play Melo (-16), Lee (-15), Noah (-12), Rose (-9) and Willy (-8) and just played KP (0), O'Quinn (+13), Kuz (+2), Holiday (+11), Jennings (+2), and Vujacic (+7) you think we probably win?

I cited +/- AND shooting as two examples of stats suggesting the idea he hurt the team was not far-fetched. You have A) ignored that I mentioned the shooting stats and B) interpreted my saying "it's not far-fetched that he might have done more harm than good" as my saying "I know he did more harm than good and know the team would have won if he sat out." I'm not sure if you're intentionally being difficult or you're just really having trouble understanding what I'm saying.

And in the case of those +/- stats, most of those players played with Melo on the court. So of course they had bad +/- #s. It's more revealing when you have *the lowest* plus/minus on the team. Nevertheless, that is just one of many stats to look at. I don't see any stats that would indicate Melo had a positive impact on that game.

My problem is we only go through these type of exercises to slam Melo and most only do it to validate their predetermined hate for the guy. Melo had a bad game, nobody is disputing that. He was among a group of many players who didn't play well. But do you really believe we're better not having our best player on the floor even if he's not having a good game?

+/- is a very tricky stat to try and use to draw conclusions with. I would bet that everyone who watched the game would praise Jennings for how he played (myself included). He was only a +2. Yet what exactly did Vujacic do for +7?

Did Melo play poorly? Yes. Was he a major contributor to the loss? Of course. Was he solely responsible for the loss (not saying that you said this, but others have insinuated it)? No. Would we have won the game if he sat? Impossible to determine, but (though admittedly this is an entirely different team this year) we were 0-10 last season when he didn't play.

You can definitely have a particular game where you would have been better off with a player - even if the guy is an all-star. That's not hatred for the guy. Any fan who thinks it's impossible for Melo to ever have a game where he hurts the team just has an idealized, out of touch view of the guy. Could James Harden ever have a game where he hurts his team? Steph Curry? KP? Of course, they could.
teamsport72
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6172

11/29/2016  7:45 AM
Unexpected 4/19, needs more rest along the way.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/29/2016  7:58 AM
All I know is Bonn mentioned Melo and MJ in the same sentence, with some sort of nod to rough equivalence.

Nuff said.

Bonn1997
USA
11/29/2016  8:17 AM
jrodmc wrote:All I know is Bonn mentioned Melo and MJ in the same sentence, with some sort of nod to rough equivalence.

Nuff said.

No way! I would never do that. They were consecutive sentences.
jrodmc
USA
11/29/2016  8:33 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:All I know is Bonn mentioned Melo and MJ in the same sentence, with some sort of nod to rough equivalence.

Nuff said.

No way! I would never do that. They were consecutive sentences.

Ehhh, it's a small sample size anyway.
Welpee
Member: #6239

11/29/2016  8:53 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Welpee wrote:

You can definitely have a particular game where you would have been better off with a player - even if the guy is an all-star. That's not hatred for the guy. Any fan who thinks it's impossible for Melo to ever have a game where he hurts the team just has an idealized, out of touch view of the guy. Could James Harden ever have a game where he hurts his team? Steph Curry? KP? Of course, they could.
But the missing piece that is impossible to determine is this: are they hurting the team if at their worst they provide more than the guy who would've replace them in the lineup?
Bonn1997
USA
11/29/2016  10:58 AM
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Welpee wrote:

But the missing piece that is impossible to determine is this: are they hurting the team if at their worst they provide more than the guy who would've replace them in the lineup?

Of course you can't re-do history and play the game without the player. I didn't say I had proof that Melo hurt the team. I just said the idea wasn't far-fetched.
teamsport72

12/9/2016  6:03 AM
Another lazy back-of-back-to-back by the daddy. Agree, hard to scratch him against the Cavs... needs lots of resting and caressing.
jrodmc
USA
12/9/2016  8:04 AM
teamsport72 wrote:Another lazy back-of-back-to-back by the daddy. Agree, hard to scratch him against the Cavs... needs lots of resting and caressing.

Once again, the whole team comes out flat as a plate of piss, but Melo is the reason we lost the game.
What stat are we going to cite now? Can't be shot attempts. Maybe it's missed hockey assist opportunities? Please find something.

This exercise is always entertaining.

teamsport72

12/10/2016  7:56 PM
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Welpee wrote:

There is nothing predetemined about it. We want him to produce, regardless of his contract, stature, or overinflated ego. When he does - kisses all the way! Just don't dress him for a failure! And you know when such is coming. For christmas sake, i know, sitting here in Latvia, and reading about how PJax should keep mum :-)

teamsport72

12/10/2016  8:06 PM
BTW, it ain't no candy to watch NBA ball. Have you ever seen a play designated to get unicorn an open look or a mismatch? All he does is pick up garbage :-) My guys here in Latvia keep asking - do you really stay up all night for THIS? For ****head streetball? :-) Yeah! The hope never dies!!!
Welpee

12/12/2016  12:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/12/2016  2:37 PM
Carmelo had a subpar game tonight. I guess we should now consider sitting him in the 2nd game in 3 nights on the west coast during months that begin with "D?"
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/12/2016  8:30 AM
Knicks win and Melo has 8 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals.
Isn't that a good stat line from a volume shooter who is having a rough nite and knicks a victory?
jrodmc
USA
12/12/2016  9:23 AM
No, I believe Melo should have had double digits in something! Other than a negative +/-!!! 7 measly assists?!!??? That just screams fool's gold!!!
Bench the mother on every road trip so we can develop Cheese more!

And why are we playing Melo if we can't beat Cleveland?

Welpee

12/12/2016  2:40 PM
Nalod wrote:Knicks win and Melo has 8 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals.
Isn't that a good stat line from a volume shooter who is having a rough nite and knicks a victory?
You know for some folks Melo can't ever do enough. He could score 50 and somebody will reference is effective fg% and his +/- for that game and claim he was horrible.
teamsport72

12/19/2016  1:06 PM
Horny listened and rested Melo (his numbers were becoming embarrasing). Melo sat out and came back ok. Way to go.
jrodmc
USA
12/21/2016  11:29 AM
teamsport72 wrote:Horny listened and rested Melo (his numbers were becoming embarrasing). Melo sat out and came back ok. Way to go.

And it doesn't seem to bother you that we lost both games?

Do not dress Melo

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy