[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game Thread: KP and Knicks D Shuts Down Kemba @ MSG
Author Thread
fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

11/25/2016  10:36 PM
fitzfarm wrote:KUZ really gave batum trouble tonight a plus 12. Kuz and willy are really solidifying our second unit

they are defiantly not your typical rookies

AUTOADVERT
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

11/25/2016  10:37 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:Kudos to baby Willy too! Came in late in the 4th and made some big layups under the basket. He is slowly usurping Noah at Center down the stretch.
Willy has been a huge surprise thsis eason. I liked him since we drafted him but I never would have thought he would be this important this quickly
He has great hands and his defense is a lot better than advertised.
I gotta be honest with his emergence I'm not sure what we do with Noah. I wanted Noah here but that contract is hideous
I think Noah has a place and will be a big part of things. In regards to Willy, he sets a great screen also. Plays like a vet.
i guess i meant it the long run. Like ive said many times i wanted noah here but on a two year deal.
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

11/25/2016  10:43 PM
after hearing hornys post game i think Kuz and willy are staying in the rotation... i think lance is going to have a hard time getting back in.... Noah is ok to start still 8 boards, we should keep him fresh and sit him on back to backs... it also gives our future in willy more court time
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/25/2016  11:02 PM
It's been good to see Horny getting used to his players and what works. He shows confidence in these guys and they're rewarding him for that confidence!
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
11/25/2016  11:06 PM
Awesome win tonite. Keep protecting that homecourt.
Welpee
Member: #6239

11/25/2016  11:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/25/2016  11:38 PM
Gotta keep it real though, after Rose hit that clutch shot in the 4th quarter I was screaming at Melo to give it back to Rose to take the potential game winner. Fortunately Melo close it for us in OT, but I was hoping Rose didn't defer to him at the end of regulation.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/25/2016  11:37 PM
KP was awful on defense......and then he came up big!!! Good solid defense and perhaps a game changing block on Zeller!

Great game. Melo was clutch. Hornets run a great offense but Knicks defended the Garden.
I'll be there tomorrow nite and it might be sloppy tired ball. We'll see!!

sidneydeane
Member: #6384

11/26/2016  4:27 AM
Well said
ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

11/26/2016  6:01 AM
Great win, but the Hornets do not look like an elite team. They did not have stars last year, and even lost two key players in the offseason.

Thought our second-best player was Frank Kaminski, we would have lost had he not been bricking it from long distance at the worst possible times.

We desperately need another elite three point shooter, our guards are just horrible in that department.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

11/26/2016  7:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/26/2016  7:20 AM
East has the Cavs, and then it is wide open. Not much seperates 2nd in the East and 7th.

Talent wise I think we have enough to compete with any of the East teams aside from Cleveland. However unless we start playing this intensity and more commitment for D on the road I can't see us get to where Toronto or Atlanta are or hae been the last few years. Talent wise we can get there though.

If I'm Hornachek, for tonight's game I don't waste time and go small quick. The team won't have the same energy. Need to rely more on O'Quinn, Holiday, Kuz, Jennings in this one. Maybe even consider starting Holiday in this one over Noah. Would give the team some speed and energy right off the bat. My fear is the regular starting 5 will come out flat and this time it's actually justifiable considering they are coming off a tough OT win and a 2nd night of a back to back.

Like Melo at the 4, Holiday/Lee at the wings and Rose at 1 with KP at the 5. If KP gets in early foul trouble, Noah comes in. Or take KP out early for rest and bring him back with the 2nd unit when Melo/Rose sit. We have to learn from these runs. We won 3 straight games without Noah and with essentially playing better scoring threats. Noah's value to me is KP's insurance policy. If KP is off or in foul trouble, you rely more on Noah. Otherwise you just have to roll with the strengths of this team.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/26/2016  9:28 AM
A few observations...
- I appreciate all the posting in the game threads. Guessing Im not the only one who enjoys clicking through these after a good game. Thanks UK for your color

- We had 6 assists from the center position tonight, and only one from Noah. KOQ and Willy are fantastic passing bigs. Is this a direct result of being built by Phil Jackson?

- Relax on Noah. He's overpaid but he's also a great piece. People are freaking about his offense. 3 offensive boards and I counted 8 points that came off of a Noah offensive board or tipped out ball (much like Tyson used to do). Its a long season. The glut up front is a wonderful problem to have. One thing I have noticed and really like about our coach is guys dont get yanked around. A guy like Willy or KOQ might only get in the game once or twice but they get enough burn to get into the game and have an impact. I think that is a big part of why we have 3 centers sharing minutes and looking good. Also they do play some Willy at the 4 as well.

- Great game from Melo. It really cracks me up how certain posters seem actually threatened by this. Its funny. If Willy converts on a couple more of those layups down low Melo has 8 assists easy. Best game of the year for him and he killed at the 3 and at the 4 which was really nice to see. His first qtr explosion was all at the 3. I love when he takes the set 3 off a pass.

- The block on Frank the tank from KP was Porzingilicous. Just when you think he's having an off night and wont beat you he's drilling HUGE 3's late in games and making great plays on D. He had a couple nice boards in traffic, something that has not been a strength for this year (and he's been great).

- Rose is a scorer. Too bad DK and mreinman have taken their brilliant statistical analysis elsewhere. See how scoring and the threat of scoring changes the game? See the space Melo and KP get? See how our bigs have wings that they can pass to cutting and they are so fast it leads to quick buckets? See what happens when you have a guy who can get a decent shot off against any guard in the league does late in games? Who collapses on Rose when he drives late? You leave open MElo? KP? Lee? please do... happy to see any one of those dudes shoot a set 3 late in the game. Rose is an impact player. He forces the other team. He can impose his will, and as a 3rd scoring option he's an absolute stud. Oh.. and his WS/48 is 0.030 Once again he's the WORST PG IN THE LEAGUE AND HIS HURTING HIS TEAM. Phucks sakes I really wonder if people believe the stuff they write.

- We are seeing the talent gel, and play in context. Guys are developing chemistry. Coach looks to get certain guys on the floor together. The defense is a work in progress and there were some setbacks last night. Many uncontested 3s, but overall the development is undeniable. I cant get my head around how guys can post 3 games into the season that "this is a jumpshooting team" or "Noah should be arrested." If you DVRd the game go back and watch Noah. Maybe not worth the contract but to US he may be. Some parts cost more than others. Nobody is holding anyone back. Fresh legs. I like the balance of youth and Noah's psycho intensity.

- Roster still has great upside. We havent see the best of Lee. We havent seen Jennings have a big scoring night. Kuz didnt hit a shot last night. Did anyone notice? He just looks good and like a total player. Eny said Dunleavy. I could see that, maybe even a quicker version. Kuz really moves well.

We have a nice little roll going here. Its the NBA... Cats will fight back tonight and probably win on the their home floor, but if the Knicks can get hot and contain Kemba this would be an amazing early win IMO. This is a team we are looking to prove ourselves better than in the standings.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Welpee
Member: #6239

11/26/2016  10:24 AM
fishmike wrote:- Rose is a scorer. Too bad DK and mreinman have taken their brilliant statistical analysis elsewhere. See how scoring and the threat of scoring changes the game? See the space Melo and KP get? See how our bigs have wings that they can pass to cutting and they are so fast it leads to quick buckets? See what happens when you have a guy who can get a decent shot off against any guard in the league does late in games? Who collapses on Rose when he drives late? You leave open MElo? KP? Lee? please do... happy to see any one of those dudes shoot a set 3 late in the game. Rose is an impact player. He forces the other team. He can impose his will, and as a 3rd scoring option he's an absolute stud. Oh.. and his WS/48 is 0.030 Once again he's the WORST PG IN THE LEAGUE AND HIS HURTING HIS TEAM. Phucks sakes I really wonder if people believe the stuff they write.
Yeah, advanced stats in the hands of people with an agenda can be a bit dangerous.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

11/26/2016  12:21 PM
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:- Rose is a scorer. Too bad DK and mreinman have taken their brilliant statistical analysis elsewhere. See how scoring and the threat of scoring changes the game? See the space Melo and KP get? See how our bigs have wings that they can pass to cutting and they are so fast it leads to quick buckets? See what happens when you have a guy who can get a decent shot off against any guard in the league does late in games? Who collapses on Rose when he drives late? You leave open MElo? KP? Lee? please do... happy to see any one of those dudes shoot a set 3 late in the game. Rose is an impact player. He forces the other team. He can impose his will, and as a 3rd scoring option he's an absolute stud. Oh.. and his WS/48 is 0.030 Once again he's the WORST PG IN THE LEAGUE AND HIS HURTING HIS TEAM. Phucks sakes I really wonder if people believe the stuff they write.
Yeah, advanced stats in the hands of people with an agenda can be a bit dangerous.

I'm OK with Rose at this point, but he still leaves too many assists on the floor, especially kickouts to KP.

Lets face it...we haven't had a PG who can go to the basket like Rose in a long time, but I still don't feel he's found that balance between "me" and "we" at this point in a very young season.

It is great to have him as an isolation option, but I want to see more from him. Melo showed us the kind of passing we saw last year, and I was very happy to see that aspect of his game.

Rule of thumb...when guys feel they will get the ball if they put themselves into scoring situations...they work harder to put themselves into those situations. Holiday is benefitting from playing with Jennings, and I've been impressed with how well he moves without the ball-he's a much more rounded player than I thought he was. But guys like Melo and Rose have to see their teammates and reward their efforts on a nightly basis. Lee is another player who needs to get the ball when he is in position to shoot from deep, and it is the job of a PG to get him the ball when he has an open look.

Hopefully, things will change a bit as Rose becomes more aware of what his teammates can do.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
ActionJackson
Member: #1602

11/26/2016  12:24 PM
fishmike wrote:A few observations...
- I appreciate all the posting in the game threads. Guessing Im not the only one who enjoys clicking through these after a good game. Thanks UK for your color

- We had 6 assists from the center position tonight, and only one from Noah. KOQ and Willy are fantastic passing bigs. Is this a direct result of being built by Phil Jackson?

- Relax on Noah. He's overpaid but he's also a great piece. People are freaking about his offense. 3 offensive boards and I counted 8 points that came off of a Noah offensive board or tipped out ball (much like Tyson used to do). Its a long season. The glut up front is a wonderful problem to have. One thing I have noticed and really like about our coach is guys dont get yanked around. A guy like Willy or KOQ might only get in the game once or twice but they get enough burn to get into the game and have an impact. I think that is a big part of why we have 3 centers sharing minutes and looking good. Also they do play some Willy at the 4 as well.

- Great game from Melo. It really cracks me up how certain posters seem actually threatened by this. Its funny. If Willy converts on a couple more of those layups down low Melo has 8 assists easy. Best game of the year for him and he killed at the 3 and at the 4 which was really nice to see. His first qtr explosion was all at the 3. I love when he takes the set 3 off a pass.

- The block on Frank the tank from KP was Porzingilicous. Just when you think he's having an off night and wont beat you he's drilling HUGE 3's late in games and making great plays on D. He had a couple nice boards in traffic, something that has not been a strength for this year (and he's been great).

- Rose is a scorer. Too bad DK and mreinman have taken their brilliant statistical analysis elsewhere. See how scoring and the threat of scoring changes the game? See the space Melo and KP get? See how our bigs have wings that they can pass to cutting and they are so fast it leads to quick buckets? See what happens when you have a guy who can get a decent shot off against any guard in the league does late in games? Who collapses on Rose when he drives late? You leave open MElo? KP? Lee? please do... happy to see any one of those dudes shoot a set 3 late in the game. Rose is an impact player. He forces the other team. He can impose his will, and as a 3rd scoring option he's an absolute stud. Oh.. and his WS/48 is 0.030 Once again he's the WORST PG IN THE LEAGUE AND HIS HURTING HIS TEAM. Phucks sakes I really wonder if people believe the stuff they write.

- We are seeing the talent gel, and play in context. Guys are developing chemistry. Coach looks to get certain guys on the floor together. The defense is a work in progress and there were some setbacks last night. Many uncontested 3s, but overall the development is undeniable. I cant get my head around how guys can post 3 games into the season that "this is a jumpshooting team" or "Noah should be arrested." If you DVRd the game go back and watch Noah. Maybe not worth the contract but to US he may be. Some parts cost more than others. Nobody is holding anyone back. Fresh legs. I like the balance of youth and Noah's psycho intensity.

- Roster still has great upside. We havent see the best of Lee. We havent seen Jennings have a big scoring night. Kuz didnt hit a shot last night. Did anyone notice? He just looks good and like a total player. Eny said Dunleavy. I could see that, maybe even a quicker version. Kuz really moves well.

We have a nice little roll going here. Its the NBA... Cats will fight back tonight and probably win on the their home floor, but if the Knicks can get hot and contain Kemba this would be an amazing early win IMO. This is a team we are looking to prove ourselves better than in the standings.

OMG...."observations" that actually are level headed and seek to praise all the players on the squad after a brilliant and thrilling total TEAM win instead of a grinding an axe about players you hate or sucking the nutsack of the players you have a mancrush on??? Where has this kind of analysis been after 12 pages of "Melo has to go", "D Rose shoulda been convicted" & "Zingis is a magical unicorn that I wish would impregnate my mother so he could be my daddy"
Keep up the good work Fishy even though I'm sure youre going to be accused of being a "Dolan Loving Homer" in 3-2-1...

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/26/2016  12:48 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
Welpee wrote:

I'm OK with Rose at this point, but he still leaves too many assists on the floor, especially kickouts to KP.

Lets face it...we haven't had a PG who can go to the basket like Rose in a long time, but I still don't feel he's found that balance between "me" and "we" at this point in a very young season.

It is great to have him as an isolation option, but I want to see more from him. Melo showed us the kind of passing we saw last year, and I was very happy to see that aspect of his game.

Rule of thumb...when guys feel they will get the ball if they put themselves into scoring situations...they work harder to put themselves into those situations. Holiday is benefitting from playing with Jennings, and I've been impressed with how well he moves without the ball-he's a much more rounded player than I thought he was. But guys like Melo and Rose have to see their teammates and reward their efforts on a nightly basis. Lee is another player who needs to get the ball when he is in position to shoot from deep, and it is the job of a PG to get him the ball when he has an open look.

Hopefully, things will change a bit as Rose becomes more aware of what his teammates can do.

I think in some ways Rose is actually an ideal Triangle PG. The offense isn't set up for him to get 15 assists the way Harden and Westbrook do - he doesn't have the ball in his hands a lot. Traditionally a Triangle PG sets up the offense and waits at the top of the key to shoot a 3, like Fisher or BJ Armstrong or John Paxson or Steve Kerr. Rose is more in the slasher mode like Ron Harper. You see a lot of assists come from our big men - as Fish wrote, our centers combined for 6ast and Melo had 5ast. Rose sets up the Triangle sets, gets out of the way, then he'll pick his spots when the Triangle gets stale and use the seams he sees to get to the rim. That creates havoc and space in the offense, opens things up again for Melo and KP.

I do hope he eventually gets better at finding KP, I agree that's an issue, but it's hard to argue against the overall positive effect he's had on the team so far.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/26/2016  12:49 PM

Great post.

¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
11/26/2016  1:30 PM
ActionJackson wrote:

OMG...."observations" that actually are level headed and seek to praise all the players on the squad after a brilliant and thrilling total TEAM win instead of a grinding an axe about players you hate or sucking the nutsack of the players you have a mancrush on??? Where has this kind of analysis been after 12 pages of "Melo has to go", "D Rose shoulda been convicted" & "Zingis is a magical unicorn that I wish would impregnate my mother so he could be my daddy"
Keep up the good work Fishy even though I'm sure youre going to be accused of being a "Dolan Loving Homer" in 3-2-1...
I was drinking those days
fishmike
USA
11/26/2016  1:38 PM
crzymdups wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
Welpee wrote:

I think in some ways Rose is actually an ideal Triangle PG. The offense isn't set up for him to get 15 assists the way Harden and Westbrook do - he doesn't have the ball in his hands a lot. Traditionally a Triangle PG sets up the offense and waits at the top of the key to shoot a 3, like Fisher or BJ Armstrong or John Paxson or Steve Kerr. Rose is more in the slasher mode like Ron Harper. You see a lot of assists come from our big men - as Fish wrote, our centers combined for 6ast and Melo had 5ast. Rose sets up the Triangle sets, gets out of the way, then he'll pick his spots when the Triangle gets stale and use the seams he sees to get to the rim. That creates havoc and space in the offense, opens things up again for Melo and KP.

I do hope he eventually gets better at finding KP, I agree that's an issue, but it's hard to argue against the overall positive effect he's had on the team so far.

totally agree... People love to focus on what a guy cant do, or some perception of what needs to be in a box score to be considered a success. I think your comment about his role is spot on. I think he eventually gets his assist range to the 7-8 range on drive an dish alone, but we will see. We got 11 assists from Melo and the centers combined. So long as the ball moves who cares? Rose's ability to attack the rim creates just as much (or more) space than a great shooter on the wing does. I would also love to see how many of Rose's drives result in offensive rebounds because he draws defenders out of position. Does that show up in the advanced stats? No, its just a miss for Rose but a guy like KP or KOQ or Noah's stats look great because they get a board, or an easy score and never have to handle the ball (usage) and dont get assisted (like they created their own shots). Sometimes you just gotta watch to "get it."

I think we are starting to taste what having 3 high end guys on the roster at once playing well can do. Makes everything look easier. I look forward to the progress after 25, 50 and 80 games. We could be onto something nice. Lots of talents, skills and versatility to this squad. I think Jeff is starting to have fun. Love it.

Rose's #s dont need to be the paragon of efficiency for him to be an impact player for this team. I am feeling pretty good about 45+ wins. I have a little excitement for tonight. Its been a long time since I have this feeling (start motown groove in background...)

ActionJackson
Member: #1602

11/26/2016  4:01 PM
fishmike wrote:
ActionJackson wrote:

I was drinking those days

Ahhh Fishy you know daggone well I wasnt talking bout you but referring instead to others in this place that continually stir up the Hate instead of the Love for our team. but good to know that you're getting help with your drinking problem. Bwah hah hah

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/28/2016  8:01 AM

This post made me cry. Not only for it's non-homeric fishy brilliance, but the fact that you completely ignored ChuckBuck. Have you no shame?

BTW, you're welcome guys, let me know the next time we need an incredibly thrilling, clutch psycho win, I'll post another game thread.

Game Thread: KP and Knicks D Shuts Down Kemba @ MSG

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy