[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah Thomas...Trying to show up Bird?
Author Thread
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
8/8/2004  10:52 PM
You never really think about it, but think about this. We have a two time NBA Finals Champion running the team that WE, as Knick fans love. Do you think he really has passion for the Knicks or would it be just any team that he'd have passion for and just try to get back at Larry Bird for kicking him out of Indiana? He wants to make the Knicks the best team it can be, while being competetive and have him as the best GM. Do you think he even cares or just wants revenge and to show up Larry Bird? Something to think about....
AUTOADVERT
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
8/8/2004  10:59 PM
I don't know. I don't think he personally has a passion for the Knicks, it's just something that would look good on a resume, and he had something to prove after Bird fired him
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/8/2004  11:03 PM
I doubt *any* GMs have a passion for their team *before* they become the team's GM.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/8/2004  11:20 PM
I think it's fair to say that Isiah has always played with a chip on his shoulder (interestingly, he seems to go after and like players who have a chip on their shoulders - Camby, Artest, O'neal, Harrington, Jones, Marbury, Thomas, Crawford...). I don't think his wanting the Knicks to be great and win it all is completely about showing up Bird. I think he's extremely competitive and wants to beat everyone. But if he can beat Bird, Michael and Joe Dumars along the way - I think it'll make it all the sweeter for him. Not necessarily for us, but if we win, it won't really matter. The best way to show someone up is to beat them.
¿ △ ?
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
8/8/2004  11:26 PM
dont matter, we benefit either ways, but im realli digging what isiah has done so far.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
8/8/2004  11:29 PM
I agree with that last post. Well said.
The true Knickabocker..........
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/8/2004  11:30 PM
With all the talk about players' contracts, we forget that Isiah has only two years left on *his own* contract. As long as he continues to do a good job, I really hope he stays here after his contract expires
diderotn
USA
8/8/2004  11:40 PM
Giving the hand he was dealt and what he had done so far in his short tenure, he danm sure deserves a new contract.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
8/8/2004  11:59 PM
Isiah is doing his job- making the Knicks better. IMO he's far from done. There will be a few mnore significant changes before the team is composed the way he envisions it. Bird has nothing to do with it. The man just wants to WIN.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
8/9/2004  12:11 AM
i think he's very passionate about winning. there's no disputing his competitiveness. but, i honestly think that being in N.Y. feuls him just a little bit more. he knows the results we expect. he knows the type of treatment he could recieve.(see former g.m. SCOTT LAYDEN) and he knows the tradition that lies in the garden. he's played in it before, he's felt it.
i believe the saying goes, if you can make it in NEW YORK you can make it anywhere.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/9/2004  12:34 AM
I think that may have been one of his initial motivations, but I sense that Isiah has been won over by the passion of NY Knicks fans, who are absolutely starved for a team that is a legitmate contender. Isiah knows that if can someone win a championship with the Knicks, no one will ever be able to question his basketball managerial abiity again.
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
8/9/2004  1:39 AM
Isiah wanted to win as a college basketball player because he wanted to win. He wanted to win as an NBA player because he wanted to win. He wanted to win as a coach because he wanted to win. I believe he wants to win as a GM for the same reason as always...THE MAN WANTS TO WIN! The guy has always strived to be a champion...no different that Magic, Michael and Bird. To say Larry Bird is his motivation to win as a GM is to minimize his own passion to win just for the sake of competition. I can see if he was known to be layed back and let someone else carry him to victory for him but now all of a sudden he is REALLY being competitive as GM. He's every bit as competitive as an player, coach or GM. I garauntee that if Larry Bird was never born, Isiah would still be just as competitive as he is today IMHO
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
diderotn
USA
8/9/2004  8:37 AM
I agree with you.... Isiah is a winner and giving proper time to do his things, he will bring a championship to this crazy city.

Posted by TheloniusMonk:

Isiah wanted to win as a college basketball player because he wanted to win. He wanted to win as an NBA player because he wanted to win. He wanted to win as a coach because he wanted to win. I believe he wants to win as a GM for the same reason as always...THE MAN WANTS TO WIN! The guy has always strived to be a champion...no different that Magic, Michael and Bird. To say Larry Bird is his motivation to win as a GM is to minimize his own passion to win just for the sake of competition. I can see if he was known to be layed back and let someone else carry him to victory for him but now all of a sudden he is REALLY being competitive as GM. He's every bit as competitive as an player, coach or GM. I garauntee that if Larry Bird was never born, Isiah would still be just as competitive as he is today IMHO
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/9/2004  9:11 AM
Has Isiah moved his family here yet?

Ok, my take is the league had a little somthing to do with Isiah getting here as they needed to facilitate getting the benchmark city back up and running. Yes, NY is very important to the league.

ALso, when dolan, or dolan was convinced to open his wallet and spend to get out of this mess, he could not use Laydog as he blew himself out (lost respect) from other GM's to trade with, and the Team needed a high profile GM whom can get exposure for the team.. Magic would have been great in that role, but Isiah is ok. He made some mistakes, and will do more, but nobody is perfect.

I don't think Isiah had any passion for the Knicks. Remember, he retired rather than come here. I think he was ready to go, but he was only 32 at the time. He had some injuries that was slowing him down. He choose the high road despite the boat load of case we were offering him. Typical Starphuching knicks of the 90's!

Isiah's passion is winning and with the team molded by him, its all his ass on the line. He would be a fool to focus on Bird. He is not coaching, so its not an apples to apples. But His passion is getting the job done. I don't see him as a 10 year GM. He will want an ownership stake and will find himself one day with The charlotte bobcats as GM or president with a 5% stake. Just a thought.

Nothing against him by any means. I hope he can hoist a banner before that time. I root for his success as I did for Laydog and any coach or Gm before.
Isiah Thomas...Trying to show up Bird?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy