Unusual game today (Portland, 730)
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/23/2016  11:18 AM
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:I think this was the first time I listed to the whole post game... I really like this coach. I really like Wally's points also.

A few points/observations:
- Nobody froze out KP. Coach said they called 3-4 plays down the stretch for him and just couldnt get him the ball.
- There is a price to pay for small ball and you saw we had troubles on the boards late in the game and it almost cost us
- The thing Wally couldnt shut up about? Rose's athleticism. He must have said "he's got his MVP legs" at least 3x
- Jennings continues to shoot poorly, however 11 assists, 3 rebs, 2 steals and ZERO turnovers is fantastic. Great job on the Blazer's wings
- Alan Crabbe sucks as much as his hair doo. Sorry Briggs
- $35mm a year for Crabbe/Turner combined. Really makes our offseason look better and better
- We all knew Kuz could score, but last night he was really engaged on defense, helping on the boards. He's a great piece for the coach. He played like a seasoned stud in that 4th qtr.
- I dont have a problem with the rotation. Coach has had to lean on Melo/KP and thats OK. We need wins. We need good play. He should back off those minutes pretty soon as we continue to establish the bench guys (which I think we are seeing).
- As the talent starts to gel the team simply looks better and better.
- We need Noah back. Frontcourt depth is huge for us

Great exciting game. Impressed with the defense on our wings. They fought and played their asses off. Rose and Jennings never lack effort.

Agreed. And instead of bringing in Josh Smith or Lance Stevenson like people here have suggested I am glad it appears we have elected to develop Kuz and Willy and Ndour and Holiday instead.
we should! The whole thing about having high caliber talent is they elevate the level of role players around them. With Melo/KP/Rose and the secondary guys like Noah/Jennings those guy's jobs are easier. They dont have to do as much. I think we are seeing that now. KP is emerging as a monster scoring threat from everywhere. Rose's legs look great. Melo had a stinker last night but was a monster vs. the Hawks. When those guys have it going its just easier on everyone else. The coaches job is to find the best blend... I am really enjoying this
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

11/23/2016  11:23 AM
fishmike wrote:I think this was the first time I listed to the whole post game... I really like this coach. I really like Wally's points also.

I really like Wally doing color with Mike Breen instead of Clyde. Sorry to the faithful, but I just don't like Clyde's speaking style and way-too-laid-back droll. MUCH prefer Wally's youthful enthusiasm and more recent experience. He pumps it up.

Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

11/23/2016  11:27 AM
Welpee wrote:

A few points/observations:
- Nobody froze out KP. Coach said they called 3-4 plays down the stretch for him and just couldnt get him the ball.
- There is a price to pay for small ball and you saw we had troubles on the boards late in the game and it almost cost us
- The thing Wally couldnt shut up about? Rose's athleticism. He must have said "he's got his MVP legs" at least 3x
- Jennings continues to shoot poorly, however 11 assists, 3 rebs, 2 steals and ZERO turnovers is fantastic. Great job on the Blazer's wings
- Alan Crabbe sucks as much as his hair doo. Sorry Briggs
- $35mm a year for Crabbe/Turner combined. Really makes our offseason look better and better
- We all knew Kuz could score, but last night he was really engaged on defense, helping on the boards. He's a great piece for the coach. He played like a seasoned stud in that 4th qtr.
- I dont have a problem with the rotation. Coach has had to lean on Melo/KP and thats OK. We need wins. We need good play. He should back off those minutes pretty soon as we continue to establish the bench guys (which I think we are seeing).
- As the talent starts to gel the team simply looks better and better.
- We need Noah back. Frontcourt depth is huge for us

Great exciting game. Impressed with the defense on our wings. They fought and played their asses off. Rose and Jennings never lack effort.

Agreed. And instead of bringing in Josh Smith or Lance Stevenson like people here have suggested I am glad it appears we have elected to develop Kuz and Willy and Ndour and Holiday instead.

This is a key point and I totally agree. The Knicks always looked outside for additional help from aging vets or reclaim projects. That is excuse-making, cover-your-ass moves from ineffectual front office. It demonstrates that they have no faith in their prior picks/moves.

Phil isn't doing that. He has an eye toward the future and keeping our flexibility. And that also empowers the coach, knowing what tools he will be working with. Props to big chief talks-less.

meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

11/23/2016  1:10 PM
Didn't watch game at all, box score shows KP6 had a good game
Melo - 7 of 22 has reverted back to the nightmare I can't seem to wake up from
Jennings - 11 Assists! 0 Turnovers and 2 steals - Very happy to see that line
Rose - Still not shooting well, but he made clutch shots
Willy did a lot better with his 20 minutes than Kylo did with his 25 - I really want to see Willy move ahead of Kylo
Holiday and Kuz were both solid

Like others said - I am glad we are using our bench guys and they are stepping up. Hopefully we have moved past the blind starfukks of the past - No more Bargnani trades

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/23/2016  2:09 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:Didn't watch game at all, box score shows KP6 had a good game
Willy did a lot better with his 20 minutes than Kylo did with his 25 - I really want to see Willy move ahead of Kylo

Like others said - I am glad we are using our bench guys and they are stepping up. Hopefully we have moved past the blind starfukks of the past - No more Bargnani trades

You missed the best game of the year in my opinion. I don't think you get a clear picture of what went on just from the box score. In regards to Rose, he made a lot of high percentage shots and had a really good game. I didn't feel like Melo was much of a ball stopper. He just couldn't hit a shot in the second half. KP took over the game at times on offense. I think it was the second time where I have seen that and it was awesome. KP doesn't have a post up game though so it is tough to make him the main option at the end of a game. Wily was great but I thought KOQ played well as well. I missed some of the first quarter but Wally was praising his play a lot.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Chandler
Member: #6197

11/23/2016  2:45 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:Didn't watch game at all, box score shows KP6 had a good game

You missed the best game of the year in my opinion. I don't think you get a clear picture of what went on just from the box score. In regards to Rose, he made a lot of high percentage shots and had a really good game. I didn't feel like Melo was much of a ball stopper. He just couldn't hit a shot in the second half. KP took over the game at times on offense. I think it was the second time where I have seen that and it was awesome. KP doesn't have a post up game though so it is tough to make him the main option at the end of a game. Wily was great but I thought KOQ played well as well. I missed some of the first quarter but Wally was praising his play a lot.

also doesn't show in the box score but second unit won this game. Knicks were down like 9 and the second unit is what got us the lead and rolling.

At halftime, Jennings said we need to give it to them [Blazers] in the first 5 minutes of the next half. In response to which, the starters created another 5 point deficit for the bench to fix.

Having said that it was a very good team effort. If there were more parity on free throws we would have been happier and had a larger margin; Melo still couldn't hit a bucket in the fourth but now we can put the ball in someone else's hands to make those late decisions and Rose came through

(5)(5)
reub
Member: #6227

11/23/2016  3:45 PM
Kuz is the Lithuanian Iceman.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/23/2016  6:52 PM
CrushAlot wrote:I thought Wally was awesome on the broadcast.

I didn't care for Wally, thought he was too much of a homer

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Welpee
Member: #6239

11/23/2016  7:55 PM

I know you're a Melo hater but his game wasn't as bad as his box score revealed. The only thing he did that I didn't like was down the stretch he tried to take over but was ice cold. But what he did do that I liked, he then deferred to Rose and did some other things that helped us win the game.

Also when you start off saying you didn't watch the game, you gotta admit your critique is based on limited intel.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/23/2016  7:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/23/2016  7:59 PM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:I thought Wally was awesome on the broadcast.

I didn't care for Wally, thought he was too much of a homer

That is probably why I liked him
We are lucky to have Breen, Clyde, Wally. I tuned into the Bulls/Nuggets game for the last couple of minutes and the Bulls announcers were awful.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Welpee
Member: #6239

11/23/2016  7:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/23/2016  7:58 PM
reub wrote:Kuz is the Lithuanian Iceman.
I'm liking (hopefully) Hornacek's apparent plan for Kuz. Bring him along slowly and gradually increase his minutes over the course of the season. This is a marathon not a sprint. By the end of the season Kuz and Willy could be serving vital roles on this team.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

11/25/2016  2:04 AM
Welpee wrote:Now that the team is playing better where's the dude with all the advanced stats on how Rose and Jennings suck and Baker should be the starting pg?

wow who made that statement?????

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/25/2016  6:02 PM
Welpee wrote:

I know you're a Melo hater but his game wasn't as bad as his box score revealed. The only thing he did that I didn't like was down the stretch he tried to take over but was ice cold. But what he did do that I liked, he then deferred to Rose and did some other things that helped us win the game.

Also when you start off saying you didn't watch the game, you gotta admit your critique is based on limited intel.

The point of saying I didn't watch the game is to broadcast that my critique is indeed based on limited intel. Not sure if that was an argument or an affirmation.

The most useful thing Melo is doing this season is shooting 3s like Novak. He is not incapable of playing defense but mostly chooses not to. But he has to shoulder the scoring load being the highest paid player and the de facto star on the team. I am just looking for more consistency, his overall shooting efficiency is actually better than most of his career stats at this point, also looking for less clock wasting.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Unusual game today (Portland, 730)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy