[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Did u all see this about Dampier?!?
Author Thread
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

8/8/2004  4:45 AM
I dont know if you all saw this but i havent seen it posted.. i had only seen small quotes from other sources saying that dampier wants to play here but this is quite impressive direct from his mouth nba.com after reading this, i cant understand HOW we cant get him.. if we have to give him the whole MLE and let baker walk SO BE IT i don think Isiah could be that dumb to let him slip away for baker... I hope there is no secret loyalty between Isiah and Bakers agent due to the Crawford deal (same agent) ..... WE SHALL SEE

http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/dampier_040804.html

Free-agent Center Visits Knicks Training Center in Greenburgh
Dampier Encouraged by Visit to Knicks
by Tom Kertes

GREENBURGH, NY, August 4, 2004 -- Unrestricted free agent center Erick Dampier was enormously impressed with all he saw and heard on his ninety-minute visit to the MSG Training Center in Greenburgh. “Plain and simple, New York is my first choice,” said Dampier, who has been with Golden State for the past seven seasons. “This is the only personal visit I’ve taken and this would be the team I’d prefer to play for.”
Even the money could be worked out. “I’d take the midlevel (exception) to play here. For one year,” he smiled. “Money is not everything,” added Dampier. “I’ve been in this league now, for what, seven or eight years, and the most games I’ve won was 35 or 36. I’m not going to be able to play forever. I don’t want to be with a team in the rebuilding stage. I want to be with a team that at least has a chance to make the playoffs. I want to have a shot at winning a championship before I retire.”

The way the seven-footer sees it, the Knicks are the team that could give him that shot. “They have great players at every position,” he said. “They’re young enough. They have the key pieces. They have a great two guard in Allan Houston. And Stephon (Marbury) is a tremendous creative point guard, the type of guy I always wanted to play with.”

According to the 265-pound Dampier, Shaquille O’Neal coming over to the Eastern Conference should make him extremely attractive to the Knicks. “At Golden State, I’ve had a couple of real good games against him. I don’t know many players who’ve played him better than I did. I know how to play Shaq: you meet him early, put as body on him, and don’t allow him to get the type of position he prefers.”

Dampier, averaging an impressive 12.3 ppg., and 12.0 rpg, had his best year ever in 2003-04. “In the past I only played 20-24 minutes a game,” he explained. “But after Adonal Foyle got hurt last year, I knew I’d be out there 30-35 minutes night after night. That allowed me to relax and just play my game.”

Dampier talked to Coach Lenny Wilkens, mostly on general terms. “It was a first meeting type of thing,” he smiled. “We were just laughing and joking around. He told me how good this team could be. Then he told me how much better it could be with me.” “I agree,” said Dampier. “I want to be in a winning atmosphere -- and I think I could be a real key piece to the puzzle here. The Knicks went to the first round (of the NBA playoffs) last year. With me, I think they could take the next step.”
--------------------------------

[Edited by - Elite on 08/08/2004 04:49:29]
AUTOADVERT
RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
8/8/2004  5:57 AM
this is just my opinion, but im really excited if we can add Dampier to our lineup. He might be using New York to try to get a bigger paycheck like szcerbiack last year but if he is true to his words, he would be a steal at the midlevel exception. I believe he can add
1) Big Body to bang around with and clog the middle.
2) provide defense, rebounds, and some shot blocking.
3) a player that can give us position on offense down low against weak centers, which there really arent many great ones in the league.
4) allow us to actually have a transition game for fast breaks with rebounding and he can actually finish a play with a dunk.

There will still be a chemistry issue with the team, its a team that basically didnt play much together before. There is still with defensive problem with our guards. And we have 2 guards with bad shot selections "marbary" and "crawford" I agree crawford is talent but I believe that he plays best with the ball and I thought thats what marbary excels at too. I have doubts about crawford vs. a healthy houston and dampier because Houston can be our spot up shooter and dampier can bring a slight post presence to free up space. Houston shown he can shoot at a great percentage his career although he doesnt draw enough fouls as I would like, as great as a ft% he has.

I hope I am wrong and maybe he can develop to a role like hamilton has, a great jump shooter with quickness but with greater athleticism. I would have to say IT gets a thumbs up from me from the players and he have added since he was our GM.

Also, some comments I would like to add about Trevor Ariza... Ive seen him play in the summer league and I think he is similar to a ginobili with the all round game without a shot, greater athleticsm and great role player. I have questions to why he didnt get signed to a 3 year deal vs his 1 year i think. I wouldnt be surprised if it was because they would like to sign him to a longer deal next year before he can truly develop and demand a greater pay like carlos boozer did within 2 years(although he got great minutes).
A player like keon clark or chris anderson would have been nice to team up with dampier for a great defensive presense especially for what anderson was signed for, 2 year LLE.

Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/8/2004  6:31 AM
If the Kncks signed Dampier to a one year contract, using the MLE, would it be possible for them to re-sign after the season other than by giving him the MLE again, which he likely wouldn't accept?
TheSage
Member: #386
8/8/2004  7:25 AM
not certain they get the MLE two years in a row. but they can give him three year contract with player options for years 2 and 3
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/8/2004  8:50 AM
Posted by TheSage:

not certain they get the MLE two years in a row. but they can give him three year contract with player options for years 2 and 3
You get one MLE every year. A contract can have only one player option. If he signs a 1 yr contract, keeping him after that one year will be difficult, but the Knicks will have so many expiring contracts that they will be able to replace him. Ideally, he'd sign a longer contract though.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/8/2004  9:36 AM
You can replce an expiring contract with a new one once your under the cap. I don't know if they can give dampe a max 6 year mle, with a one year opt out. But Damp playig for one year instead of a 50mil contract in atlanta makes no sense. Him saaying he would play for one year might just be to stir up more interest.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/8/2004  9:57 AM
Posted by Nalod:

You can replce an expiring contract with a new one once your under the cap. I don't know if they can give dampe a max 6 year mle, with a one year opt out. But Damp playig for one year instead of a 50mil contract in atlanta makes no sense. Him saaying he would play for one year might just be to stir up more interest.

Damps legitimately wants to come here, but the one year MLE thing is to try to scare Mullin into getting something from the Knicks. I don't think it will work. I think Damps might be forced to go to ATL.

Though, I really don't know why he wouldn't take the 6yr MLE with an opt out after 2yrs so we could give him a 90% raise for year 3.
¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
8/8/2004  10:04 AM
In a 6 year deal, the earliest a player option can be is after year 3.
subzero0
Member: #410
8/8/2004  7:17 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Nalod:

Damps legitimately wants to come here, but the one year MLE thing is to try to scare Mullin into getting something from the Knicks. I don't think it will work. I think Damps might be forced to go to ATL.

Though, I really don't know why he wouldn't take the 6yr MLE with an opt out after 2yrs so we could give him a 90% raise for year 3.

I thought we were giving the exception to Vin Baker, you know, since we dont quite have enough of those. Too bad though, Nazr Mohammed being the only center on our roster and all.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
8/8/2004  8:55 PM
At the J-Craw/JYD press conference, Isiah stated that he still had the full MLE at his disposal, and that Dampier is his first priority now.

Baker may take the 1.6M exception.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/8/2004  9:28 PM
goodwin was reported saying Vin ain't signing no LLe. And if vin is healthy, as he has not been in years, he could be worth it.

Maybe Knicks saying MME to force Damp and others for a resolution. ITs time to sign him or put it to bed. Crazy biz.

damps agent got a lot on the line.
Rich
USA
8/8/2004  10:07 PM
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjYmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY1NjYyODYmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Knicks crowing about Craw

Saturday, August 7, 2004

By STEVE ADAMEK
STAFF WRITER

Whether Thomas adds center Erick Dampier to that mix, meanwhile, remains uncertain, particularly with agent Aaron Goodwin saying he and the Knicks are discussing a contract for Vin Baker that would include a portion of the midlevel salary-cap exception the Knicks might need for Dampier.

"Although we haven't finalized the contract, what we're talking about would cut into the midlevel," said Goodwin, who's also Crawford's agent.

"We want both players and I've got to figure out a way to try and get that done," Thomas said. "Our first objective with Dampier is to try to do a sign-and-trade with Golden State or try to get a third team involved."
Rich
USA
8/8/2004  10:10 PM
My take is that Isiah is trying to show Dampier and his agent that he is doing his due diligence to effectuate a sign and trade so that he can get the type of contract he wants (even though he would be vastly overpaid). If that can't be accomplished, he is likely putting the onus on Dampier to accept the MLE, if he really wants to be a Knick.
Bonn1997
USA
8/8/2004  10:29 PM
So Goodwin is basically admitting he lied when he said a $3.5 mil contract was agreed to? Why listen to anything he says?

If we can't get Dampier, Baker is definitely worth using part of the MLE on. And just wait 12 months to make a big upgrade at center
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/8/2004  10:33 PM
this is a situation where dampier should become a knick by default. it appears that atlanta is moving on and the only MLE remaining is the knicks. i think his agent really fd up because if he just opted in, there would be a much stronger chance of dampier being traded-+he lost 3.5mm per
RIP Crushalot😞
Rich
USA
8/8/2004  11:24 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

this is a situation where dampier should become a knick by default. it appears that atlanta is moving on and the only MLE remaining is the knicks. i think his agent really fd up because if he just opted in, there would be a much stronger chance of dampier being traded-+he lost 3.5mm per

That is an excellent point. Opting out played right into Mullin's desire to shed salary.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
8/8/2004  11:36 PM
In all actuality, Mullin is risking destroying a good relationship with Damp's agent by not dealing with the Knicks. After all, Jayson Richardson will also be in his last year next season and he too uses the same agent as Dampier.
The true Knickabocker..........
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/9/2004  12:11 AM
jason richardson is going to get atleast what jefferson got if not the max. he doesnt even need an agent. if you were the GS owner would you increase payroll nearly 20% just to accomadate another team just to appease an agent. n f w

i think denver made a mistake by signing camby--i wouldve rather signed dampier for the same $$$$

as far as GS goes they would need a real benefit that made sense and likely the team would still need cap room. i dont see it anywhere. the knicks have a real good shot at dampier with their mle--the only way put is if people like walker and harrington convince dampier to play there. but personally i see both harrington and walker happy to use atlanta just to bolster #s so they can get paid.
RIP Crushalot😞
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/9/2004  12:23 AM
Antoine's in the perfect place to pad his stats, he should average a double-double next year and someone will overpay for him next offseason.

I'd have to imagine if the Hawks sign Troy Hudson it all but eliminates them from the running with Dampier. If the Hawks do sign Dampier, good fallbacks would be Pryzbilla and Keon Clark, both can play C. That's what the Knicks need.

I'd be shocked if, and when, the Knicks get Dampier, Kurt Thomas wasn't traded at the deadline. I'd imagine by that point Sweetney would have his foul problems under control and would be ready to start and the Knicks could possibly get some nice pieces for him.
#Knickstaps
Rich
USA
8/9/2004  12:29 AM
But again, if Dampier signs for the MLE for year, he won't be a Knick after this season.
Did u all see this about Dampier?!?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy