[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

GT: Knicks @ Raptors, Sat 11/12 730pm
Author Thread
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

11/12/2016  10:46 PM
Knicks need a defensive PF who can move KP to the 5 when the match ups are tough for him..
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Member: #6197

11/12/2016  10:51 PM
crzymdups wrote:DRose very calmly saying that he is getting fouled non-stop on his drives and it never gets called. I think that's true. When you see the calls Harden gets and then the calls Rose and Melo don't get, it's absurd.

I agree w this particularly w rose. Stay out of the refs face and this will rectify over time.

Very frustrating. Demar played great. Got like 12 ft. Rose probably attacked rim just as much had 2 ft.

That doesn't seem right. Maybe homer googles. But I think realistically just not right

(5)(5)
Chandler

11/12/2016  10:56 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Knicksfan wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Pacers are 4-6 with some new players - sometimes new teams take a minute to come together.

Don't try to sugarcoat it. This team remains a mess on defense and it hardly looks like its improving. The offense is improving a little, but allowing 115+ a game will get us a ticket back to the lottery.

At least we have our pick this year!

I'm not sugar coating it. If I didn't see improvement, I wouldn't say so. I've seen improvement. The Raptors are the second best team in the East - the Knicks played them hard in their house and still have room for improvement. The defense is part of that. The coaching is part of that. The offense is part of that. Unfortunately the refs have been part of it.

I wouldn't say we're a mess as much as work in progress. If we're playing KP on a wing he needs to bend his knees on Defnse. Make it tough to get around him. He's already tough to get over. Playing upright and sagging isn't working on the wing. Shooters are too good.

This can be fixed. And and and we need to punish on the other end.

Lots of folks are talkin Melo be Powell. That's a 4 or 5 inch height advantage.

KP has that consistently and many time more. Plus standing reach and we refuse to exploit that consistently. If we force the other team to defend Melo w a big our D will improve.

(5)(5)
Chandler

11/12/2016  11:00 PM
holfresh wrote:
Chandler wrote:
holfresh wrote:Dudes complaining about ISO..Quick lesson, Melo had a matchup advantage which the Knicks successfully went to..It's the same match up that KP had late in the 4th becuase they put Patterson on Melo..So KP had Powell on him, so the Knicks went to KP because of the matchup..Basketball 101..

Honestly don't you think the issue is timing. The issue isn't iso per se. It's when and how.

When the player tells his teammates fu I'll do this by myself it's not good

Even Shaq (most dominant low post guy in forever) learned to kick out and repost etc.

We need to exploit mismatches. No disagreement but in smart ways.

What was the score after the first half of ISO Melo?..What was the final score when we went away from ISO Melo?

Couple of things...Melo is keeping the Knicks in the game..If you notice the last few games when the team is losing they are talking a lot which could turn divisive soon..It important to win games and be competitive giving them a chance down they stretch...

It will get better i terms of ball movement..Knicks need to win some game to gain confidence..We only have one guy who is confident every night and that's Melo..Dude has won 50 games 7 consecutive season doing this..Don't tell me it doesn't work..

Melo scored exactly zero points this fourth quarter. We've watched years and years of Melo when he was a better player and we lost big

It's a team game. Expecting Melo to carry team means 32 wins.

It's a team game. Melo is talented but needs to be used the right way.

(5)(5)
holfresh

11/12/2016  11:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/12/2016  11:11 PM
Chandler wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Chandler wrote:
holfresh wrote:Dudes complaining about ISO..Quick lesson, Melo had a matchup advantage which the Knicks successfully went to..It's the same match up that KP had late in the 4th becuase they put Patterson on Melo..So KP had Powell on him, so the Knicks went to KP because of the matchup..Basketball 101..

Honestly don't you think the issue is timing. The issue isn't iso per se. It's when and how.

Even Shaq (most dominant low post guy in forever) learned to kick out and repost etc.

What was the score after the first half of ISO Melo?..What was the final score when we went away from ISO Melo?

Couple of things...Melo is keeping the Knicks in the game..If you notice the last few games when the team is losing they are talking a lot which could turn divisive soon..It important to win games and be competitive giving them a chance down they stretch...

It will get better i terms of ball movement..Knicks need to win some game to gain confidence..We only have one guy who is confident every night and that's Melo..Dude has won 50 games 7 consecutive season doing this..Don't tell me it doesn't work..

Melo scored exactly zero points this fourth quarter. We've watched years and years of Melo when he was a better player and we lost big

Since you won't answer, Knicks were leading 56-53 at the half when you were complaining about ISO Melo...KP posted Powell in the 4th and Knicks went to that and we lost..Going to KP away from Melo was the right thing to do because of the mismatch..But I know you won't complain about ISO KP, right?

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/12/2016  11:18 PM
holfresh wrote:
Chandler wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Since you won't answer, Knicks were leading 56-53 at the half when you were complaining about ISO Melo...KP posted Powell in the 4th and Knicks went to that and we lost..Going to KP away from Melo was the right thing to do because of the mismatch..But I know you won't complain about ISO KP, right?

How is it ISO- KP if he passes out of it? How many shots did he take against a double team?

¿ △ ?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/12/2016  11:22 PM
This is freaking process and the Knicks did some VERY good things against the Raps and they should learn from this and gain confidence. This team is getting better despite the loss. You have to allow this team with TEN NEW PLAYERS and quite a few young and new to the NBA GUYS as well.
holfresh

11/12/2016  11:23 PM
crzymdups wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Chandler wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Chandler wrote:

How is it ISO- KP if he passes out of it? How many shots did he take against a double team?

Eerrr..Isolation basketball is when you isolate the player on one side of the floor regardless of if the player passes out of a double team or not..

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/13/2016  12:19 AM
crzymdups wrote:The Raptors have an interesting thing going where they lean on DeRozan most of the game and Lowry saves his energy for late. It's smart. Lowry killed them late.

raptors are lowry's team. he is the stir that stirs the drink...until this year. i always felt dd was a 1-3 quarter scorer. kept the game going but 4th quarter was #lowrytime as he took over and willed us to victory...until this year. dd is on another level right now and he is the one making the big plays and buckets down the stretch to win games. SI ranking him #46 overall lit a fire under him. he actually got better and is actually living up to his contract. that's kinda nuts when you think about it. from where he was as a rookie to now is pretty amazing. and this is coming from a guy that isn't a huge fan of his but i have to tell it like it is.

i am not a fan of our offense and i don't like the iso but we have had a top 5 offense playing this way for the past few years. and we made it to the ECF's playing this way. so the results have made me change my stance on it.

so let me give you my take on this game and the knicks...we did not play our tempo. the knicks made this an up and down game and that's not our identity. but i'm also sure that's the knicks identity also. a team can win with an iso player BUT as with lowry being the straw that stirs the drink, the knicks need that straw since melo is your derozan. and identity needs to be establish and then role players can slot in and out and make it work. a core must be identified and then built around.

we did that with lowry + dd + jonas. all the other parts can be subbed in and out...we can start 2 rookies and not miss a beat. we could have starters get hurt or lose players for multiple months and still don't miss a beat. that's all b/c of how our coach established an identity, how our gm figured out our core and then kept it together. and it also takes alot of luck.

ujiri had it all blown up until dolan said no. but the interesting thing is that "building" this chemistry and team doesn't really take time. we started winning immediately after the rudy deal. look at the nets right now? that's a d-league roster but they are winning some games where they have no business doing. so why can't the knicks? why is it that other teams can gel right away while others never can get it? i really think this all comes down to phil jackson trying to influence everything on the court when he's not the guy on the sidelines. i think it's that simple. ujiri could've dumped all of colangelo's players but didn't. he took his time assessing and let casey coach and the results have been there. he built a culture and the raptors, though not true championship contenders, are a model franchise and one you can hope for in your franchise.

phil couldn't be the gm and just let his coach do what he needed to do. he had to be involved with everything and that has proven it just doesn't work. and despite all the player changes and FA signings or trades, it's still not working. porzingis is the truth (the type of player we all wish bargnani was going to turn out to be) and melo is still a good player but imho, until phil takes a back seat and stops "helping" his coach, it's not going to work. triangle shmiangle - it's a distraction and the results have spoken. it's a waste of time.

just my two cents since i've seen some disfunction and meddling under colangelo.

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
11/13/2016  12:45 AM
nixluva wrote:This is freaking process and the Knicks did some VERY good things against the Raps and they should learn from this and gain confidence. This team is getting better despite the loss. You have to allow this team with TEN NEW PLAYERS and quite a few young and new to the NBA GUYS as well.

3-6

Not now, but very soon, the excuse of ten new players and a new coach will be just that, an excuse.

There is excuse for lapses on offense. There is no excuse for the pathetic defense they are sporting night after night. A mediocre defense would have them at .500. Thats not the case. The defense sucks.

3-6 becomes 6-13, then becomes 9-20 and its another lost season...

Knicks_Fan
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

11/13/2016  5:33 AM
holfresh wrote:Knicks need a defensive PF who can move KP to the 5 when the match ups are tough for him..

their frontcourt is the slowest in the league. They are basically playing 2 centers and a PF out there

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

11/13/2016  7:56 AM
The Knicks just don't defend. It's too easy to get past their defense. I see improvements on offense and I'm very happy with KPs role in the offence and his development. However defense just isn't getting better. At some point you have to think that we don't have enough good defenders combined with coaches who aren't extremely bright on defense.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/13/2016  8:00 AM
Was surprised how many Knicks were showing very little lateral movement. Craptors were going around guys like they were traffic cones. Glad that Rose and KP are developing some chemistry. That Rose is trying to have an effect on offense without the ball. KP is becoming a better passer as he learns the tendencies of his new teammates.
Welpee
Member: #6239

11/13/2016  9:09 PM
djsunyc wrote:
crzymdups wrote:The Raptors have an interesting thing going where they lean on DeRozan most of the game and Lowry saves his energy for late. It's smart. Lowry killed them late.

raptors are lowry's team. he is the stir that stirs the drink...until this year. i always felt dd was a 1-3 quarter scorer. kept the game going but 4th quarter was #lowrytime as he took over and willed us to victory...until this year. dd is on another level right now and he is the one making the big plays and buckets down the stretch to win games. SI ranking him #46 overall lit a fire under him. he actually got better and is actually living up to his contract. that's kinda nuts when you think about it. from where he was as a rookie to now is pretty amazing. and this is coming from a guy that isn't a huge fan of his but i have to tell it like it is.

i am not a fan of our offense and i don't like the iso but we have had a top 5 offense playing this way for the past few years. and we made it to the ECF's playing this way. so the results have made me change my stance on it.

so let me give you my take on this game and the knicks...we did not play our tempo. the knicks made this an up and down game and that's not our identity. but i'm also sure that's the knicks identity also. a team can win with an iso player BUT as with lowry being the straw that stirs the drink, the knicks need that straw since melo is your derozan. and identity needs to be establish and then role players can slot in and out and make it work. a core must be identified and then built around.

we did that with lowry + dd + jonas. all the other parts can be subbed in and out...we can start 2 rookies and not miss a beat. we could have starters get hurt or lose players for multiple months and still don't miss a beat. that's all b/c of how our coach established an identity, how our gm figured out our core and then kept it together. and it also takes alot of luck.

ujiri had it all blown up until dolan said no. but the interesting thing is that "building" this chemistry and team doesn't really take time. we started winning immediately after the rudy deal. look at the nets right now? that's a d-league roster but they are winning some games where they have no business doing. so why can't the knicks? why is it that other teams can gel right away while others never can get it? i really think this all comes down to phil jackson trying to influence everything on the court when he's not the guy on the sidelines. i think it's that simple. ujiri could've dumped all of colangelo's players but didn't. he took his time assessing and let casey coach and the results have been there. he built a culture and the raptors, though not true championship contenders, are a model franchise and one you can hope for in your franchise.

phil couldn't be the gm and just let his coach do what he needed to do. he had to be involved with everything and that has proven it just doesn't work. and despite all the player changes and FA signings or trades, it's still not working. porzingis is the truth (the type of player we all wish bargnani was going to turn out to be) and melo is still a good player but imho, until phil takes a back seat and stops "helping" his coach, it's not going to work. triangle shmiangle - it's a distraction and the results have spoken. it's a waste of time.

just my two cents since i've seen some disfunction and meddling under colangelo.

Very reasonable post. I agree, I wish Jackson would put to bed his obsession with the triangle. And did Jackson ever win a ring without the real guru of the triangle, Tex Winter?
Welpee
Member: #6239

11/13/2016  9:12 PM
Knicksfan wrote:
nixluva wrote:This is freaking process and the Knicks did some VERY good things against the Raps and they should learn from this and gain confidence. This team is getting better despite the loss. You have to allow this team with TEN NEW PLAYERS and quite a few young and new to the NBA GUYS as well.

3-6

Not now, but very soon, the excuse of ten new players and a new coach will be just that, an excuse.

There is excuse for lapses on offense. There is no excuse for the pathetic defense they are sporting night after night. A mediocre defense would have them at .500. Thats not the case. The defense sucks.

Yeah, I think the defense is problem #1 right now and it's mainly about effort from what I can see.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/14/2016  10:06 AM
Chandler wrote:
crzymdups wrote:DRose very calmly saying that he is getting fouled non-stop on his drives and it never gets called. I think that's true. When you see the calls Harden gets and then the calls Rose and Melo don't get, it's absurd.

I agree w this particularly w rose. Stay out of the refs face and this will rectify over time.

Very frustrating. Demar played great. Got like 12 ft. Rose probably attacked rim just as much had 2 ft.

That doesn't seem right. Maybe homer googles. But I think realistically just not right

+1
Saying it might be homer goggles that Melo/Rose don't get calls is like saying ESPN might be even-keeled in their Knicks coverage.
blkexec
Member: #748
11/14/2016  12:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/14/2016  12:15 PM
Welpee wrote:
Knicksfan wrote:

3-6

Yeah, I think the defense is problem #1 right now and it's mainly about effort from what I can see.

I think it's more about the roster, than effort. Noah has enough lateral movement to guard most PF, but he's playin center. KP doesn't have the lateral quickness to guard todays PF, but he's playing PF. Melo at 32 doesn't have the lateral quickness to guard todays SF (who's probably a SG). Lee is guarding PG's, when teams play small ball. Rose is injury prone and like Melo, they give more effort on the offensive end and less on defense.

So I'm not surprised at our defense being a weak link. I am surprised that we can't take advantage on the offensive end, with mis matches! I think Noah hurts the half court offense. His man is allowed to play zone, because Noah isn't a threat on offense. Thats part of the reason why it's hard to make a post pass to KP. I've played against players that are not an offensive threat, and I'm able to help everybody. I love Noah's defense and leadership, but his defense must out shine his lack of offense....or his value drops.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

11/14/2016  3:21 PM
holfresh wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Chandler wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Eerrr..Isolation basketball is when you isolate the player on one side of the floor regardless of if the player passes out of a double team or not..

You don't understand basic basketball and your posts just highlight that fact. Good luck riding Melo to the promised land --- it's going to be long, slow painful ride but enjoy none the less.

GT: Knicks @ Raptors, Sat 11/12 730pm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy