Rambis put in charge of defense
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
11/9/2016  3:32 PM
crzymdups wrote:
callmened wrote:i just cant wait to hear "NixLuva"s comments (because hes always optimistic). please tell me that phil didnt just undermine our coach after 6 games. folks here say be patient...doesnt look like phil is. im not sure if making RAMBIS (a phil puppet) the defensive coach can be interpreted any other way besides phil undermining his coach.

Right - it's one thing if Hornacek were allowed to bring in his own guy. The fact that it is Rambis is not a good look. It's all about the perception of trust and belief and Phil just completely tore the rug out from under Hornacek.

A lot of the people who told me last spring that I was insane for harping about Phil's obsession with Rambis and the Triangle are being awfully quiet today.

Hornacek tried to bring in his own guy, the assistant from Cleveland who was his defensive guy in Phoenix, but he couldn't get out of his contract. The idea behind a "defensive coordinator" was supposedly Hornacek's. Rambis was in charge of defense during the lakers championship runs and if anything, this takes the focus away from the triangle by taking the triangle-focused assistant and having him focus his energy on the defensive end of the floor. But if you look for reasons to blame Phil, you will find them.

AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/9/2016  3:59 PM
fishmike wrote:Everyone says its Phil's meddling. This is why I wait for this sky is falling its the circus Knicks BS

A source said it was Hornacek’s idea to designate an assistant coach to specialize in defense, to resemble how he structured his staff in Phoenix.

Hornacek’s defensive assistant Mike Longabardi was fired by Suns management last January, weeks before Hornacek got the boot. The Post reported Hornacek attempted to bring in Longabardi to run the Knicks defense, but the native New Yorker couldn’t get out of his contract with the Cavaliers.

Hornacek, former teammates with Rambis in Phoenix, also knew Rambis was heavily involved with the Lakers defense as an assistant under Jackson. It’s unclear Jackson’s opinion on Rambis’ new role because it will take Rambis away from teaching his beloved triangle offense. Jackson hasn’t spoken to the media since Sept. 22.

This is the problem with taking 5% of the story and making up the other 95%

It sounds as simple as the coach getting certain guys to focus on certain things. It couldnt be that simple could it? It HAS to be Phil meddling, Knick circus, bla bla bla...

6 phucking games! Let these grown men sort things out. My god

The "information" Berman pushes usually comes straight from the team itself.

So, this is the team's spin on what ESPN and the Daily News independently reported yesterday.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
11/9/2016  4:01 PM
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
callmened wrote:i just cant wait to hear "NixLuva"s comments (because hes always optimistic). please tell me that phil didnt just undermine our coach after 6 games. folks here say be patient...doesnt look like phil is. im not sure if making RAMBIS (a phil puppet) the defensive coach can be interpreted any other way besides phil undermining his coach.

Right - it's one thing if Hornacek were allowed to bring in his own guy. The fact that it is Rambis is not a good look. It's all about the perception of trust and belief and Phil just completely tore the rug out from under Hornacek.

A lot of the people who told me last spring that I was insane for harping about Phil's obsession with Rambis and the Triangle are being awfully quiet today.

Hornacek tried to bring in his own guy, the assistant from Cleveland who was his defensive guy in Phoenix, but he couldn't get out of his contract. The idea behind a "defensive coordinator" was supposedly Hornacek's. Rambis was in charge of defense during the lakers championship runs and if anything, this takes the focus away from the triangle by taking the triangle-focused assistant and having him focus his energy on the defensive end of the floor. But if you look for reasons to blame Phil, you will find them.

I'm glad a Marc Berman article fed to him by the Knicks PR spin department made you feel better about the story ESPN reported and Melo, Hornacek, and Rose all appeared uncomfortable about yesterday.

And, yes, if you look for reasons to blame Phil you should find them. He is the team President. He has signed every single player and every single coach on this team. Melo is the only player here from before Phil's time and Phil chose to re-sign him. Wouldn't that make this team Phil's responsibility? Or is that unfair?

¿ △ ?
Knixkik
USA
11/9/2016  4:16 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

I'm glad a Marc Berman article fed to him by the Knicks PR spin department made you feel better about the story ESPN reported and Melo, Hornacek, and Rose all appeared uncomfortable about yesterday.

And, yes, if you look for reasons to blame Phil you should find them. He is the team President. He has signed every single player and every single coach on this team. Melo is the only player here from before Phil's time and Phil chose to re-sign him. Wouldn't that make this team Phil's responsibility? Or is that unfair?

My point is its easy to see it from both angles. If Phil was solely focused on the triangle, why would he move Rambis away from the offense to focus on the defense? A lot of people here search for conspiracy theories. If the media bashes the knicks and try to turn every move into a circle act, it must be true. But an article that doesn't do that is false. I tend not to believe anything written at ESPN. But if you like these ESPN articles, that is your choice.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/9/2016  4:38 PM
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

My point is its easy to see it from both angles. If Phil was solely focused on the triangle, why would he move Rambis away from the offense to focus on the defense? A lot of people here search for conspiracy theories. If the media bashes the knicks and try to turn every move into a circle act, it must be true. But an article that doesn't do that is false. I tend not to believe anything written at ESPN. But if you like these ESPN articles, that is your choice.

this... could this be Phil meddling? That doesnt really make sense to me coming from a guy who knows how to manage people if nothing else. Anything is possible, but ESPN are notorious anti NY and Knick haters. Phil meddling is much more click worthy than "they are working out the early season woes."
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knixkik
USA
11/9/2016  5:04 PM
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

this... could this be Phil meddling? That doesnt really make sense to me coming from a guy who knows how to manage people if nothing else. Anything is possible, but ESPN are notorious anti NY and Knick haters. Phil meddling is much more click worthy than "they are working out the early season woes."

Exactly. Unfortunately, these things make the Knicks a very easy target.

crzymdups
USA
11/9/2016  8:52 PM
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

My point is that the second angle - that it was all Hornacek's choice - was written by Berman and almost certainly fed to him by Knicks PR, as Berman "sources" stories always are. Isn't it obvious why the Knicks would want that second angle out there?

¿ △ ?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/9/2016  9:10 PM
Only matter of time until Phil takes over. Hopefully he will see more success than Isiah
crzymdups
USA
11/9/2016  9:19 PM
Man the defense is looking GREAT ever since Rambis took over!!
¿ △ ?
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

11/9/2016  9:35 PM
I remember Rambis being Phils defensive coordinator on the Laker teams that won a couple rings. He isn't head coach material but I immediately saw a vast improvement on defense. More pressure on the ball and more consistency in staying with your man. Don't expect us to become a great defensive team but this was progress. We played the right way for a change. Dedicated energetic defense. Now let's see if it's more than a game.
Knixkik
USA
11/11/2016  8:23 AM
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

My point is that the second angle - that it was all Hornacek's choice - was written by Berman and almost certainly fed to him by Knicks PR, as Berman "sources" stories always are. Isn't it obvious why the Knicks would want that second angle out there?

Now that hornacek has said loud and clear it was his decision and he had no communication with phil on the matter, hopefully that puts an end to the espn driven conspiracy theories. It just didn't make any sense.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/11/2016  8:46 AM
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Now that hornacek has said loud and clear it was his decision and he had no communication with phil on the matter, hopefully that puts an end to the espn driven conspiracy theories. It just didn't make any sense.

they were teammates... I think JH is comfortable with Rambis. Agree he's not HC material but I dont think he's the useless puppet some would make him out to be. Gut feeling read on Rambis is he's a high IQ coach with poor communication skills and lacks charisma. He may say the right things but isnt any good at selling his message.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/11/2016  9:28 AM
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

I doubt he would come out and say it was phils call, I think phil suggested it, and he went with it.

ESPN never came out and said it was phils decision either, but the minute anyone hears Rambis name and purpose, they are going to associate that with Phil right away.

ES
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/11/2016  10:44 AM
If we keep winning and playing good defense, could someone agree to just shoot this thread?
crzymdups
USA
11/12/2016  10:05 PM
jrodmc wrote:If we keep winning and playing good defense, could someone agree to just shoot this thread?

65pts allowed in the second half tonight.

115pts to Boston last night.

118pts to Toronto tonight.

Please, I'd love to shoot this thread. But we don't get to play Brooklyn every night.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
11/12/2016  10:07 PM
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

they were teammates... I think JH is comfortable with Rambis. Agree he's not HC material but I dont think he's the useless puppet some would make him out to be. Gut feeling read on Rambis is he's a high IQ coach with poor communication skills and lacks charisma. He may say the right things but isnt any good at selling his message.

Conspiracy theory or no - what have you seen so far that tells you Rambis is a good coach for this team in any capacity? He was kept on the staff by Phil. Why?

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
11/17/2016  9:34 PM
crzymdups wrote:
jrodmc wrote:If we keep winning and playing good defense, could someone agree to just shoot this thread?

65pts allowed in the second half tonight.

115pts to Boston last night.

118pts to Toronto tonight.

Please, I'd love to shoot this thread. But we don't get to play Brooklyn every night.

119pts to the 2-6 Wizards

Defense ranked dead last in the league after 12 games.

¿ △ ?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/6/2016  10:13 AM
crzymdups wrote:

You all told me I was crazy about Phil and Rambis and the Triangle. Well, the idea that he'd go away from the triangle and Rambis lasted about six games.

Phil has completely undermined his coach six games into the season. This won't end well.

Ok, can we give Rambis some love? Besides, you think Rose and Noah would have agreed to be knick if he was coach?
He wears out his players.
I think Hornacek being a "guard friendly" coach is helping both Rose and Jennings. Horney was not the fastest guard and our two new guys build their games on being athletic.
Rose has mentioned he was "wreckless" in his youthier days and is learning how to play a more controlled game. Jennings is still a bit of a crackhead but he is effective in his role. I have not watched much of him prior to him being a knick.

As for Rambis, knicks are 9-5 with him as defensive dude. A little love.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/6/2016  10:45 AM
Nalod wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

You all told me I was crazy about Phil and Rambis and the Triangle. Well, the idea that he'd go away from the triangle and Rambis lasted about six games.

Phil has completely undermined his coach six games into the season. This won't end well.

Ok, can we give Rambis some love? Besides, you think Rose and Noah would have agreed to be knick if he was coach?
I think Hornacek being a "guard friendly" coach is helping both Rose and Jennings. Horney was not the fastest guard and our two new guys build their games on being athletic.
Rose has mentioned he was "wreckless" in his youthier days and is learning how to play a more controlled game. Jennings is still a bit of a crackhead but he is effective in his role. I have not watched much of him prior to him being a knick.

I had faith that Rambis could help the D. I had read his philosophies on D and with those implemented they've been improving. He's done a great job with what we have.

BJ has always had this kind of PG skill. I posted several videos of how he was playing before his Achilles and he had many high assist games. Now he's in a great position where he's not expected to carry the scoring and he's more mature about his role. His defense is where I think he's made the most change. He's like a quicker Prigioni, the way he pressures the ball.

holfresh
Member: #1081

12/6/2016  10:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/6/2016  10:56 AM
Nalod wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Well were are giving up 105 points per game the last 14 games which is better than the 109/110 clip we were running...We might be winning because the offense is clicking better..The teams now are not as good as the first 6 games...A few factors involved..I remember the days people were complaining about Woodson's teams giving up 95 points per game...Seems like switching defense is the new avant-garde of the NBA...But something tells me you aren't look for that kind of answer..Looking for more of a feel good moment??

Rambis put in charge of defense

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy