[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game Thread: Talking all that Jazz... lets get the W!!! (11/6 12 Noon start)
Author Thread
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

11/6/2016  3:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/7/2016  1:17 AM
So many things bother me about today's loss. This was an even more winnable game than the Detroit game. Here we were at home with a 13-pt lead practically halfway through the 2nd quarter, led at the half, more than enough offensive output from Melo AND Porzingis... Number 1 thing that stands out to me was the brand of ball we played -- COMPLETELY UNINSPIRED. Like a tire with a slow leak in it. Never plugged the hole and did anything to pump ourselves back up out there. Wow.. You just knew after they took a 5-pt lead on us, then 7, it was over. And that's crazy because there was so much time left but nonetheless, you just knew it, man. Just so Goddamn flat after that. Where's the fight in these guys to get back into it???? Jesus, get mad out there!!!! Where the F was the will to win today??

#2 - The game Rose played. What a HUGE matchup in our favor on paper going in yet we didn't win it. All due respect to George Hill but Rose should've eaten him alive today. Shelvin Mack too, more so even...Gotta give the Jazz credit for shutting off his driving opportunities but not too much credit -- we still need to find a way to exploit matchups we need to win in our favor, even if we need to work a little harder than normal to do so. Rose overall was lackluster today--sloppy with the ball at times early, uninvolved and taken right out of it at other times...Just disappointing. We really needed that one more guy to step up today and assume a bigger role... I can't believe it wasn't Rose.

Courtney Lee was very quiet again. That bother's me too. Can't understand why they don't look to get this guy more involved. He's a quality offensive player--takes good shots, high %, looks like he can even handle the ball a little...We just need to utilize him more. Much more.

These are the games that will bother me about Noah. I hate to pin blame on him because he generally plays hard and had a good one in Chicago, but today he had nothing. He generally doesn't score but today even his intangibles--rebounding, defense, toughness--weren't really there either... Passing the ball out while you're right under the basket (and he threw it away)?!!? Come on, really Jo?? Gotta go up strong there! Didn't Gobert wind up fouling out today? Well maybe if we had a little more post offense we could've gotten him out of the game sooner or at least had him in foul trouble throughout. Maybe this is where Willy could help. We really need some reliable post offense in the worst way. And I'd like to activate Plumlee just to see what he could give us down there. As usually, KOQ and LT were OK, nothing great, and I suspect we're gonna see more of the same out of them the rest of the way. Meanwhile, I've been calling for Plumlee for over a week now -- I know he's not necessarily a post up threat, but just give me a few games with Plumlee and let me see his intangibles at work and see what type of affect he can have on the game. It could wind up being pretty substantial, esp. when we're really counting on similar intangibles from Noah but then he doesn't deliver... Up to me, even though he's been decent, I'd sit O'Quinn and go with a steady diet of Willy/Plumlee at backup 4/5, depending on what's needed--offense or defense/rebounding. I'm thinking Willy/Plumlee together might add up to more than what KOQ brings to the table. I feel the same way about LT -- thinking a steady diet of N'Dour/Kuz might outweigh what LT brings to the party.

Melo was pounding the ball a lot early but it's hard to get on him when he's effective with it as he was today. Expect to keep seeing Melo ISO--he's even added a new little wrinkle to it with some new fancy stutter hesitation dribbling he broke out in the Chicago game (maybe before that) and we saw it again today. He must be practicing that. LOL. Again though, he was doing his thing out there. Can't really pin this on him. I think he even had 10 rebs. today. Melo did his job.

Just so hard to put your finger on what's wrong:

• Uninspired ball overall. Nothing like our effort in Chicago. That cost us as much as anything today. If this was a constant, we win today despite the other issues. Beyond disappointed in the effort and energy we showed today.
• No third guy stepped up in a big way.
• Nothing going inside (we might have to try Willy and see if we can get some interior scoring and some help on the glass. Maybe some Willy over KOQ just to see).
• Need more out of Courtney Lee. Not sure if it's him not engaging like he should or Jeff/the system/his teammates not involving him enough. This has got to change. The 2 games he stood out, we won.
• I've always HATED all the incessant switching on D--we switch ourselves right into mismatches in the opposition's favor over and over and over. Been going on for years no matter who the coach has been..
• We're not getting consistent rim protection once guys get beaten. I say try some combination of Willy/Plumlee to see what they can bring--could be a combined upgrade over KOQ. After that, if there's still an issue, they should be on the lookout for a decent bench big that can add some combination of post scoring/shot-blocking/rebounding (via trade, a smart DL signing, etc.).
• Bench has been quiet but unlike some, I actually think there's some good potential there. Still, we could really use a STANDOUT bench player. A real 6th man. I think some guys have the potential to assume that role but haven't stepped up yet.

A couple of good signs:

• Jennings played well and showed some real PG play out there today. I saw we went with Rose/Jennings late but then he pulled Jennings. Maybe we need to try that more. Esp. in a game like today where we couldn't get ANYTHING going in transition. Either we weren't looking for it enough or we just let the Jazz completely control the pace out there--prob. a combination. I don't think we got one transition bucket today.

• And I thought Kuz looked real good for that quick stretch toward the end of the 1st half. Take a look at his Youtube Lithuanian clip against team USA. He's not some stiff--he can play. He's got some real offensive talent and I liked the effort he showed on defense. He might have to start playing more. If I'm Jeff I'd be looking for better options than KOQ and LT. I don't think those two are good enough myself. I understand you can't play all 6 of these guys, but who out of Willy/Plumlee and N'Dour/Kuz can step up and start bringing it on both ends? I feel like we're settling going with KOQ and LT. They may not be our best options.

AUTOADVERT
knickscity
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4241
USA
11/6/2016  3:58 PM
First mistake is thinking games are very winnable. None are if effort on both ends is not given and taking opponents lightly. Just saw the other day how GS just thought they'd trot out their all-star team beat a rebuilding Lakers team by sheer talent. Talent means nothing, still got to play the games with your capabilities.
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
11/6/2016  4:07 PM
a key turning point was kp6's second foul on a moving screen. rose didn't allow him to set before dribbling-- fundamentally unsound play that was rose's fault.
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
Gudris
Member: #6213

11/6/2016  4:37 PM
I think this is much on Melo, too much ISO plays and team stopped to move, just standing and looking when Melo will shoot, He shouldnt play that much ISO especially so early in offense, it did broke a team spirit.
holfresh
Member: #1081

11/6/2016  5:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/6/2016  5:54 PM
This team doesn't play defense and they aren't tough..We have quite a few soft players on the squad..No intensity whatsoever..The bench is still weak and our starters are logging mucho minutes..Lee's defense is over rated much like Affalo was...

We actually have a shot in games with teams that role out traditional lineups..Chicago and Utah being two of them..We needed to take advantage of today...
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/6/2016  7:08 PM
Couldn't hurt for Phil to hire a former player as a defensive coach. Someone the players respect, who isnt part of Phil's coaching tree. John Stockton is an asst coach in college. Might be good bring Stockton in. Was a very good defender as a pro, having worked with Hornacek would make the transition easier.

There were times when KP was standing directly under the rim, watching his man make an easy layup. Near the end of the game, KP looked gassed, would have been a good time to let him go back to shooting threes to close the deficit, and to spread the floor. They're getting better at using him, but he still is winding up being used the wrong way at times IMO.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/6/2016  8:17 PM
Lots of rumors about the Sixers looking to trade Noel. I think he would be a great get and would help a lot to improve the defense.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Finestrg
Member: #1069

11/6/2016  9:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/6/2016  9:24 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Lots of rumors about the Sixers looking to trade Noel. I think he would be a great get and would help a lot to improve the defense.

He would be a pretty good fit, all considering. He's not perfect but he'd be an upgrade over KOQ off the bench. He'd up the athleticism off the bench up front, he'd also rebound and protect the rim. Looks like they want a 1st round pick back. Supposedly they're considering Cory Joseph + a 1st rounder from Toronto, as long as they got that pick. What about Brandon Jennings + a future 1? We get Noel then go out and sign Spencer Dinwiddie or Yogi Ferrell to be our backup PG. I think the team would be better but enough to warrant trading away another 1st round pick?

How about a smaller trade for Richaun Holmes? Jennings for Holmes/cash, no picks involved?

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
11/6/2016  10:00 PM
knicks are not within smelling distance this season in terms of a title. jackson is not gonna trade away our draft pick when it is obvious he is going to draft a point guard for the porzingis era.
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

11/6/2016  10:19 PM
Finestrg wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Lots of rumors about the Sixers looking to trade Noel. I think he would be a great get and would help a lot to improve the defense.

He would be a pretty good fit, all considering. He's not perfect but he'd be an upgrade over KOQ off the bench. He'd up the athleticism off the bench up front, he'd also rebound and protect the rim. Looks like they want a 1st round pick back. Supposedly they're considering Cory Joseph + a 1st rounder from Toronto, as long as they got that pick. What about Brandon Jennings + a future 1? We get Noel then go out and sign Spencer Dinwiddie or Yogi Ferrell to be our backup PG. I think the team would be better but enough to warrant trading away another 1st round pick?

How about a smaller trade for Richaun Holmes? Jennings for Holmes/cash, no picks involved?

I doubt they want an expiring contract or Jennings at all if he was on a longer deal. If the Knicks through in a top 10 protected 2018 1st and one 2017 2nd order plus filler maybe they get it done. I doubt it but it's possible.

One team that I think should go after Noel is GSW. Imagine him coming off the bench in the Ezili role.

CrushAlot
USA
11/6/2016  11:05 PM
The Knicks can't trade their 2017 first round pick because they traded their 2016 pick. The rumors are coming from philly and apparently they want Joseph and a first round pick from the raptors. I do like Holmes a lot but Noel could be a rotation guy for the next 5-8 years.
yellowboy90

11/6/2016  11:31 PM
CrushAlot wrote:The Knicks can't trade their 2017 first round pick because they traded their 2016 pick. The rumors are coming from philly and apparently they want Joseph and a first round pick from the raptors. I do like Holmes a lot but Noel could be a rotation guy for the next 5-8 years.

I seriously doubt they give up Joseph he is too valuable for them with his ability to back up Lowry plus he has great defensive skills at both guard positions and is good lowry insurance in case he leaves.

CrushAlot
USA
11/6/2016  11:36 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:The Knicks can't trade their 2017 first round pick because they traded their 2016 pick. The rumors are coming from philly and apparently they want Joseph and a first round pick from the raptors. I do like Holmes a lot but Noel could be a rotation guy for the next 5-8 years.

I seriously doubt they give up Joseph he is too valuable for them with his ability to back up Lowry plus he has great defensive skills at both guard positions and is good lowry insurance in case he leaves.

I haven't watched the Raptors at all this year. How has Poetl been? I don't know if Noel is a need for the Raptors but if he is available I think the Knicks should check it out.
sidneydeane
Member: #6384

11/7/2016  6:19 AM
Clearly our D is why we lost. Nothing new. Late rotations/closeouts, stupid fouls and going under screens when we shouldn't. We are looking a lot better though than tge start of tge season, more PnR and less triangle is the key. But beat BK and hopefully stealing one against boston or Raps before coming home and beating Dallas i think is all do-able and 5-5 would be a solid start all things considered. 4-6 is more likely but as long as we keep getting better and hang around 50% while we get our stuff together im happy. We need more from our bemch, LT has been disappointing but i think he will come good. Need to stagger the starters minutes better and swap oquinn for willy or plumlee, wouldn't mind seeing baker out there either
yellowboy90

11/7/2016  9:23 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

I haven't watched the Raptors at all this year. How has Poetl been? I don't know if Noel is a need for the Raptors but if he is available I think the Knicks should check it out.

I haven't watch a lot of Raptors game this year so I can't tell you.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/7/2016  9:53 AM
This is a work in progress. Friday up, Sunday down.

Sometimes things in the box score cant be ignored.

Knick starters: all +
Knick bench: all -

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
holfresh
Member: #1081

11/7/2016  10:21 AM
fishmike wrote:This is a work in progress. Friday up, Sunday down.

I usually don't pay attention to +/- but this was huge and in the other games as well..The other win starters was a huge +, and bench was -...
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/7/2016  10:41 AM
holfresh wrote:

I usually don't pay attention to +/- but this was huge and in the other games as well..The other win starters was a huge +, and bench was -...
I think its a talented SL that is coming together. We arent getting much from the bench. Lance's nice offensive pop from last year is gone. He cant hit anything. Holiday and KOQ look decent, but we arent getting enough, plain and simple and cant sustain leads once the SL starts subbing.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/7/2016  3:34 PM
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Come on man is 8am and all no game thread?

1-2 so far.... Im breaking even today! Go Knicks!!!

I though you were 1-3, and if we lose this one I'm finding a way to punch you in the nuts through the internet

I think Eny is outlawed from game threads for a while.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/7/2016  4:39 PM
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:

I think its a talented SL that is coming together. We arent getting much from the bench. Lance's nice offensive pop from last year is gone. He cant hit anything. Holiday and KOQ look decent, but we arent getting enough, plain and simple and cant sustain leads once the SL starts subbing.

Funny but I think Phil is hoping Kuz develops into a scorer off the bench like we had with DWill, but so far he's not really been ready for that. DWill took to the role like a fish in water 💦 and we miss that aggressive scoring punch.

Game Thread: Talking all that Jazz... lets get the W!!! (11/6 12 Noon start)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy