[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Assorted parts
Author Thread
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/7/2004  10:55 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBqam1ocWIyBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwNlY2w-?slug=cnnsi-assortedparts&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

Assorted parts

Marty Burns, SI.com

Say this much for Knicks boss Isiah Thomas. He's active.

Since taking over in New York last year he has tried his best to shake up what had become a stale franchise. Stephon Marbury. Lenny Wilkens. Tim Thomas. Isiah brought them all in last year, and they helped him achieve his goal of getting the Knicks to the playoffs. OK, so maybe New York got smoked by the Nets in the first round. At least Zeke was trying.

This summer Thomas has not slowed up at all. He courted Kobe Bryant and Rasheed Wallace even though the Knicks didn't have any room under the salary cap. He has wined and dined Erick Dampier so effectively that the free-agent center is reportedly considering the Knicks for a lot less money than he could make in Atlanta. And after discussions so long they rival the Middle East peace process, Thomas finally landed guard Jamal Crawford from the Bulls. Now Isiah supposedly will turn his sights on Raptors star Vince Carter, who reportedly wants out of Toronto and might be available to the Knicks in a trade for Marbury.

Thomas' energy is impressive, and it surely plays well in the New York newspapers. But as former UCLA coach John Wooden used to say (and Bill Walton loves to repeat), "never confuse activity with achievement." As much as Thomas deserves credit for roiling the waters, he's still paddling against the tide.

Take the Crawford acquisition. Thomas got the 6-foot-5 combo guard, along with journeyman Jerome Williams, for a seemingly low price: Othella Harrington, Dikembe Mutombo, Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski. But Crawford will cost the Knicks $55 million over the next seven years. That's a lot for a career 39.1 percent shooter. Throw in the four years and the $25 million owed Williams, and New York's payroll is more bloated than ever. Isiah, in fact, is starting to veer dangerously close to former GM Scott Layden territory.
Armed with Cablevision's massive checkbook, Thomas keeps throwing big money at players who haven't won a thing in their careers. He reportedly is even considering re-signing Vin Baker for $3 million per year. With Marbury, Tim Thomas, Allan Houston and Shandon Anderson all having multiple years (and big dollars) left on their contracts, the Knicks are capped out for years to come. That means little flexibility to sign future free agents or work other trades. In other words, this New York cast better work out.

Crawford could turn out to be the make-or-break deal for Isiah. Yes, the Knicks needed another shooting guard, especially with Allan Houston still bothered by sore knees. And it's true that the 6-5 Crawford is a tantalizing prospect who can put the ball in the basket (he scored 50 points against the Raptors last season). It's also true that he can switch over to the point when Marbury needs a breather. But Crawford is wildly inconsistent. For every 30-point explosion, he seems to throw up a 3-for-15 clunker. He shot just 38.6 percent from the floor last year, while racking up 2.41 turnovers (with 5.1 assists) per game. Defensively, he's got all the tools but little clue how to use them.

AUTOADVERT
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/7/2004  10:56 AM
New York won't miss any of the four players he gave up, but they were trade assets. Isiah could have saved those pieces for a later deal down the road that would help the Knicks more than Crawford. After all, the Bulls -- who will now be able to clear some $18 million in cap room off their books next summer -- didn't think Crawford was worth the big investment. He might blossom in a new home, with a better supporting cast. He might end up joining with Houston and Marbury (or Carter) in a high-scoring Knicks perimeter attack. But New York is going to need more than excitement to get back to a championship level. It's Knicks are going to need players who can defend and rebound and stay healthy. It's going to need players who do the little things and know how to win. It's going to need a big man who can put the ball in the basket. The Knicks didn't have enough of those players before Isiah got there, and despite all his activity, they still don't.

crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/7/2004  12:11 PM
I think this is a pretty fair article. For all of his moves, if the Crawford gamble fails, we're screwed. But his contract is actually quite reasonable. If he does maintain his progress, he will be a tradeable piece (especially for a team that views him as a point guard). Obviously, I think Zeke wants to work with Crawford for a while to see what he's got.

I completely agree about the defense issues. The thing that kills me is that Tim Thomas, Jamal and Marbs have the TOOLS to defend, but not the mindset. Jamal obviously can't guard bigger SGs like Quentin Richardson or Tracy McGrady. He needs to get bigger.

I think one part of our defense that should be improved will be the role JYD brings. He's extremely underrated. He's useless on a team like the Bulls, but on a team like the Knicks who have firepower galore at the wing positions and point, JYD will get garbage points and rebounds and steals and loose balls. He will be a great influence on Sweets, who already does some of that stuff (both are Gtown Hoya Destroyas). I think Jerome Williams is the kind of player you can win championships with in a supporting role (how would he have looked on that Lakers team last year?). He's sort of a poor man's Ben Wallace or a rich man's Corliss Williamson.

Overall, decent article, fair to the Knicks. I wish ONE of these articles would mention Zeke's ability (and Mark Aguirre's) to evaluate and DEVELOP talent, which is almost a lost art for most teams (like the Bulls).
¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/7/2004  12:28 PM
the only thing that bugs me is when people use the arguement about players that have never won anything.

Its so obvious what Isiah is doing. Get talent, build chemistry. What did Ben Wallace accomplish in his 5 years prior to Det? In his first year they were 32-50. Nobody wanted Chauncey Billups. Detroit signed him for the MLE. Was Rip Hamilton a winner with Washington?

Oh yea... the payroll. Thats a valid point, because these deals do ensure we will never be able to sign a KMart a Sheed or a Nash type player. But none of that has changed since Layden was here. If getting under the cap was the priority than Dolan could have just kept Layden, and waited 4 years until Houston and Anderson's (along with everyone else's deals) expired.

Isiah was brought in to turn around this mess and create a winning team. Dolan wants his building filled and his $$$ back where it was in the 90s. Isiah wants to win a title. Both can have their cake and eat it too.

Nobody has any idea how the chemistry will work, but when you look at last year's roster vs. this years the upgrade in talent is pretty remarkable, considering most of us were resigned to watching Eisley, Houston, Shandon, Spoon and KVH for 3 years while we prayed Sweetney and Lampe would somehow grow into stars despite having 5 veteran PFs in front of them.

First talent, then chemistry. This team can grow together. This isnt a group of 32 year old players with their time running out.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/7/2004  12:35 PM
Posted by fishmike:

the only thing that bugs me is when people use the arguement about players that have never won anything.

Its so obvious what Isiah is doing. Get talent, build chemistry. What did Ben Wallace accomplish in his 5 years prior to Det? In his first year they were 32-50. Nobody wanted Chauncey Billups. Detroit signed him for the MLE. Was Rip Hamilton a winner with Washington?

Oh yea... the payroll. Thats a valid point, because these deals do ensure we will never be able to sign a KMart a Sheed or a Nash type player. But none of that has changed since Layden was here. If getting under the cap was the priority than Dolan could have just kept Layden, and waited 4 years until Houston and Anderson's (along with everyone else's deals) expired.

Isiah was brought in to turn around this mess and create a winning team. Dolan wants his building filled and his $$$ back where it was in the 90s. Isiah wants to win a title. Both can have their cake and eat it too.

Nobody has any idea how the chemistry will work, but when you look at last year's roster vs. this years the upgrade in talent is pretty remarkable, considering most of us were resigned to watching Eisley, Houston, Shandon, Spoon and KVH for 3 years while we prayed Sweetney and Lampe would somehow grow into stars despite having 5 veteran PFs in front of them.

First talent, then chemistry. This team can grow together. This isnt a group of 32 year old players with their time running out.

good post fishmike, the knicks under chaney with Houston, eisley, spoon and crew, had great chemistry IMO but they lacked in talent, it doesn't matter how much chemistry you have, if the talent lacks, you will not win... And I wonder what is the fascination with being under the cap with no significant FA's available, I mean K-mart, nash, those guys are fine but I will use the same stupid argument that most writers have been using... what have they won?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/7/2004  1:47 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Oh yea... the payroll. Thats a valid point, because these deals do ensure we will never be able to sign a KMart a Sheed or a Nash type player.
I agreed with what you were saying until that part. First, I'd rarher have Jamal than Nash and Dampier than Rasheed on this team anyway. Second, With 41 mil in expiring contracts, I think the Knicks could get almost any player they wanted next summer. A team $40 + mil over the cap with no chance of signing free agents and paying enormous luxury tax could actually get under the cap by taking those expiring contracts and gicing up a superstar. I think we'll have far better assets next summer than we had when we landed Marbury.
Assorted parts

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy