holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

10/29/2016  11:23 PM
dk7th wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knickscity wrote:
holfresh wrote:KP struggling defending the perimeter..Guys are blowing by him..He put on weight in the offseason..

He guards the wing because of his length. You want guys to be chased off the three. He did fine there.

KLove blew by him three times last game..Same thing happened tonight..I'm not sure why you think a dunk is better than a three attempt..

If you drive the shooter to a respectable interior D, its straight economics. Giving up 2 points is better than giving up 3.

don't waste your time. looks like he didn't pass the remedial math course at shawarma tech night school in downtown bayonne....

AUTOADVERT
Gudris
Member: #6213

10/29/2016  11:32 PM
KP looked kinda nervous or uncomfortable all game ?

Rose still needs to learn to pass more to others, especially KP

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

10/29/2016  11:44 PM
Nice 2nd half by Rose. Two completely different players. 2nd half was the point guard that looked like an all-star caliber player.

Noah's impact is evident. As soon as he's in the game, the team's execution on offense improves. His defensive tenacity is also infectious. Completely understand why Phil was so high on him.

KP didn't play great yet finished the game with a team high 21 points. His ability as a 7'3 wing are down right scary. A couple of moves tonight that were something you expect of a 6'7 shooting guard. He just needs to find his defensive niche on the team.

Not happy about the inability to put away Memphis. It's still clear this team has to figure out it's rotations, it's pecking order and chemistry. Better play today for sure, yet I still felt we were a long way from being at our best as a team.

Bench is a little thin, so will need players like Jennings, O'Quinn and Thomas to be more consistent. Jennings was good in the 1st, a liability in the 2nd.

reub
Member: #6227

10/29/2016  11:52 PM
holfresh wrote:By the way..Thank you Phil for finally brining some ballers!!!...Now fix the bench...JJ Hickson is in China..Go get that guy...

We have a very good bench. BJ and Holiday are a dynamic backcourt. O'Quinn and Willy are both young and good. Then add Lance or Kuz to that crew. Plus Baker who will be a factor for us soon.

holfresh

10/30/2016  12:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/30/2016  12:10 AM
reub wrote:
holfresh wrote:By the way..Thank you Phil for finally brining some ballers!!!...Now fix the bench...JJ Hickson is in China..Go get that guy...

We have a very good bench. BJ and Holiday are a dynamic backcourt. O'Quinn and Willy are both young and good. Then add Lance or Kuz to that crew. Plus Baker who will be a factor for us soon.

I disagree..We could have an excellent starting five if they stay healthy and gel going into January/February..Our bench isn't ready to contribute in the playoffs..They aarnt ready for the regular season...You are talking about guys with none to little NBA time..KOQ has to prove he can play an entire season which he has never done..

Teams with high draft picks struggle for a few years...See Minny and Philly etc..some how our late round picks are ready for action??

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/30/2016  12:10 AM
holfresh wrote:
reub wrote:

I disagree..We could have an excellent starting five if they stay healthy and gel going into January/February..Our bench isn't ready to contribute in the playoffs..They aarnt ready for the regular season...You are taking shout guys with none to little NBA time..

Teams with high draft picks struggle for a few years...See Minny and Philly etc..some how our late round picks are ready for action??

i agree about the bench. Tonight our bench was good but consistently im not sure yet
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
10/30/2016  12:30 AM
holfresh wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knickscity wrote:
holfresh wrote:KP struggling defending the perimeter..Guys are blowing by him..He put on weight in the offseason..

He guards the wing because of his length. You want guys to be chased off the three. He did fine there.

KLove blew by him three times last game..Same thing happened tonight..I'm not sure why you think a dunk is better than a three attempt..

If you drive the shooter to a respectable interior D, its straight economics. Giving up 2 points is better than giving up 3.

A dunk is a higher percentage shot than a three..The offense will take a two on one around the basket every time...

Why a dunk? A not to lightly contested 3 or a heavily contested 2? Pros outweigh the cons. Make the man move and adjust.

~You can't run from who you are.~
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/30/2016  12:48 AM
reub wrote:

BJ, Lance, O'Quinn and Holiday are young vets. Holiday and O'Quinn look a lot better. Sasha also is a solid vet to have around. I was surprised Hornacek had Willy in against ZBO. He addressed it at the coaches conference saying that Willy knew Gasol and he wanted him to have the experience playing against a guy like ZBo.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/30/2016  12:54 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
reub wrote:

BJ, Lance, O'Quinn and Holiday are young vets. Holiday and O'Quinn look a lot better. Sasha also is a solid vet to have around. I was surprised Hornacek had Willy in against ZBO. He addressed it at the coaches conference saying that Willy knew Gasol and he wanted him to have the experience playing against a guy like ZBo.

There's a lot of talent on this bench and Hornacek needs time to get a feel for how to use his roster as well as the players learning their roles and each other. I trust that with time things will settle into place.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It reaffirmed pretty much what I expected this team could do even if they still have a long way to go. It's a good glimpse of what they can do.

Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

10/30/2016  2:03 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/30/2016  2:10 AM
Good win. We'll take it--imagine if we pissed this one away? Would've been disastrous.. We needed this one bad. They hung on and even though Melo wasn't at his best (gotta give this James Ennis and JaMycal Green a lot of credit for their tough D and good all around play), Jennings wasn't good, execution still looked sloppy at times and we pissed away a seizable lead, there still were a lot of positive signs.

I thought Noah looked real good. Very tough D on a real good player in Gasol. Love his energy and passion out there. I'd think long and hard about activating Plumlee if I were them. Next time Noah encounters foul trouble or fouls out, it be nice to have another big we could turn to that has those same intangibles (toughness, moxie, grit). Willy and O'Quinn have their good points but Plumlee's really the closest thing we have to Noah in terms of interior toughness. Best case scenario -- Willy steps up enough to the point that we can deal KOQ off for a future 2nd round pick and free up a spot, activate Plumlee and maybe pick up one more PG for depth--Randle, Yogi Ferrell, Dinwiddie, etc.. Have to see how it goes.

Love how Rose looked. He looked real comfortable out there--wasn't forcing anything, looked real unselfish and in control for the most part--really picked his spots when to attack. Came up big when we needed him just like Noah. Actually wanna see Rose play a tad more aggressive next game as far as looking for his own a little bit more but overall, nice job. What a huge difference he's gonna make for us.

KP been a factor in both games but can obviously play even better on both ends. Great sign.

Holiday's got game. Tonight he really showed up on both ends. Love that he made the team and is part of the rotation. He's gonna help us. Lee did a really nice job tonight too. Finally played aggressive. Hopefully he can stay in attack mode..Good play all around from the 2 spot last night.

Thought Jennings looked like **** again. Hopefully he can turn it next game and figure out how to be at least semi-effective out there. Plays a real wild game. Love that he wants to be here and he does have speed and talent but he scares me.

I thought Lance was merely OK once again. Wonder how long a leash he gets before we start seeing if Kuz or eventually even N'Dour are better options.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/30/2016  3:27 AM
KP with a seemingly effortless 21 pts, but there were no corrections made by him/coaches on his sagging defense issue. At the very least he has to adjust his position so he is between his man and the ball (am I wrong, here?) but he seems totally preoccupied with watching the interior, and ends up getting beat off the drive when he has to scramble on his close outs and is too out of position to defend against the drive.

I am also extremely annoyed that there he has shown little, if any, offensive activity in the post. Not going to revive all those arguments between old and new school ball, and I know it is only 2 games, but I have seen no indication of him having worked on his interior offensive game, and there seems to be no efforts by teammates to get him the ball on the few occasions he does have position down low.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
10/30/2016  8:59 AM
joec32033 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knickscity wrote:

A dunk is a higher percentage shot than a three..The offense will take a two on one around the basket every time...

Why a dunk? A not to lightly contested 3 or a heavily contested 2? Pros outweigh the cons. Make the man move and adjust.

Cant believe it really needed explanation.
holfresh

10/30/2016  9:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/30/2016  9:48 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:KP with a seemingly effortless 21 pts, but there were no corrections made by him/coaches on his sagging defense issue. At the very least he has to adjust his position so he is between his man and the ball (am I wrong, here?) but he seems totally preoccupied with watching the interior, and ends up getting beat off the drive when he has to scramble on his close outs and is too out of position to defend against the drive.

I am also extremely annoyed that there he has shown little, if any, offensive activity in the post. Not going to revive all those arguments between old and new school ball, and I know it is only 2 games, but I have seen no indication of him having worked on his interior offensive game, and there seems to be no efforts by teammates to get him the ball on the few occasions he does have position down low.

I think that's more coaching than anything else..I would like the see Hornacek be more vocal during the games...He needs to remind players their assignments and he needed to get into the refs when Melo was getting hit on 4 consecutive drives with no call...Melo was chatting up the refs extra that could have resulted in a second tech..Coach needs to get more involved...

holfresh

10/30/2016  9:46 AM
Noah with 7 assist, Melo with 5, Rose can get in the lane at will, and we have three point shooters, gonna be an fun year..
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/30/2016  11:26 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:I am also extremely annoyed that there he has shown little, if any, offensive activity in the post. Not going to revive all those arguments between old and new school ball, and I know it is only 2 games, but I have seen no indication of him having worked on his interior offensive game, and there seems to be no efforts by teammates to get him the ball on the few occasions he does have position down low.

So I think the weak side post is being occupied by Melo and the ball is starting in Noah/KOQ's hands in the post too.

If you have KP in post with Noah out there, the D can sag to the paint.

KOQ got playing time because of the match ups.

I'd expect things to work out and maybe when KP gets even strong he will be in the post; right now he looks more comfortable putting ball on floor and also cutting to basket.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
WaltLongmire

10/30/2016  11:36 AM
holfresh wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:KP with a seemingly effortless 21 pts, but there were no corrections made by him/coaches on his sagging defense issue. At the very least he has to adjust his position so he is between his man and the ball (am I wrong, here?) but he seems totally preoccupied with watching the interior, and ends up getting beat off the drive when he has to scramble on his close outs and is too out of position to defend against the drive.

I think that's more coaching than anything else..I would like the see Hornacek be more vocal during the games...He needs to remind players their assignments and he needed to get into the refs when Melo was getting hit on 4 consecutive drives with no call...Melo was chatting up the refs extra that could have resulted in a second tech..Coach needs to get more involved...

KP has to see himself on some video...hopefully he is smart enough to learn. His offensive role is more troubling for me, because he is looking more an more like a 6'10" stretch 4.

Anthony is pretty solid/strong...he gets fouled enough to affect the shot, but not enough for the refs to justify (in their minds) a foul call...but it gets pretty ridiculous when you look at the ticky-tack fouls called on certain stars in the league. Refs have been doing this the last few years on Anthony, unfortunately.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

10/30/2016  11:41 AM
martin wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:I am also extremely annoyed that there he has shown little, if any, offensive activity in the post. Not going to revive all those arguments between old and new school ball, and I know it is only 2 games, but I have seen no indication of him having worked on his interior offensive game, and there seems to be no efforts by teammates to get him the ball on the few occasions he does have position down low.

So I think the weak side post is being occupied by Melo and the ball is starting in Noah/KOQ's hands in the post too.

If you have KP in post with Noah out there, the D can sag to the paint.

KOQ got playing time because of the match ups.

I'd expect things to work out and maybe when KP gets even strong he will be in the post; right now he looks more comfortable putting ball on floor and also cutting to basket.

He has attempted to set up down low a few times, but has been ignored...I suppose I'm just frustrated that he is not able to use his size and seems too much like a limited stretch 4 after watching him these first 2 games.
holfresh

10/30/2016  1:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/30/2016  1:20 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
holfresh wrote:

KP has to see himself on some video...hopefully he is smart enough to learn. His offensive role is more troubling for me, because he is looking more an more like a 6'10" stretch 4.

Anthony is pretty solid/strong...he gets fouled enough to affect the shot, but not enough for the refs to justify (in their minds) a foul call...but it gets pretty ridiculous when you look at the ticky-tack fouls called on certain stars in the league. Refs have been doing this the last few years on Anthony, unfortunately.

I think playing the 4 in the post wears you down as a player..No one wants to play the 4. LeBron said no and Paul George complained, saying it drains you..I don't think KP is strong enough yet to battle down low for a full season and then again in the playoffs...So given the new players on the squad, his role of playing inside out and constantly moving, flashing in the paint might be good for him, now that people will have to worry about Melo AND Rose..But eventually, if he wants to be a franchise player, he has to show he can score on people and that will only happen in the post...He has to show that when he catches the ball and someone is guarding him, then it's a mismatch..Seems like he is thinking he can catch the ball on the wing or at the top of the key, square up or take you off the dribble...He isn't quick enough for that...

I think the issue on the defensive of the ball has more to do with the coach..I saw Melo in the first game lag off a three point shooter as well...I saw a few other players do it along with the new rookies...But KP seem to be caught in between...KLOve should not be able to drive past him and he can't leave enough space to get a wide open look at a three...It's early and lots of film to watch and time to adjust...I'm certainly happy about what I saw in the first half of the game against Cleveland and yesterday's game...I think the bench is a huge problem...

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/30/2016  6:59 PM
I just watched the game. Team looked really good. Showed some moxy. Noah was fantastic on defense and even more so as the main facilitator on offense - 7 assists in 21 minutes! Rose was fantastic picking his spots and getting teammates involved. Melo got too concerned about his own matchups and whether he was getting fouled. KP was very efficient and played great. Only time he looked a little undisciplined was when he was trying to put the nail in the coffin with a few rushed threes late. Someone mentioned he didn't close out on shooters, but I thought he looked much better closing out against Memphis than he did in Cleveland. Courtney Lee was great on both ends - perfect glue guy who can efficiently hit on open looks and it seems like he'll get a lot.

As for the bench - Jennings takes some terrible shots, but he brings a good energy and moves the ball. KOQ continues to look much improved - he's lost a good 30lbs from last season, I'd say. Justin Holiday is looking like a solid piece - he's nice and long and rangy and made some huge 4th quarter shots. Lance played a little better and hopefully will continue to get back into form. Willy G had some decent minutes, but looked overmatched by Gasol.

¿ △ ?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/30/2016  10:18 PM
Showed Mrs. Nalod some KP highlights.
She said "nice, whats the big deal".
I said he is Seven pouching foot three!
I have never seen a kid this size do shyt like he is doing.
Towns and The Unibrow are special and will be for years. GodZingis might change everything.
Im not saying he will, but this is different. He is 20. I pray for his health.
Game thread: Knicks make Memphis sing the orange and blues

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy