[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks announce the roster cuts (Chasson Randle, J.P. Tokoto, Lou Amundson, Cleanthony Early and Damien Inglis)
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/21/2016  8:02 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
SkyWalker wrote:Can Baker really play the point? If rose or jennings go down for a few games who would be the backup? Baker?
He handled pressure last night in the closing minutes at the point. He did pretty well. He can play the point a little. I hope the Knicks revisit Randle.

I'd like to see them assign Baker to the D-League so he can get more reps at PG. He has some tools, nut he needs some more work as a PG. It'll help in the long-run. All he has to do is look at Sasha to see how it can help prolong his career.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/21/2016  8:07 PM
Called it. I think this was the right move. Now if they can get rid of KOQ and resign Randle then we are golden
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
10/21/2016  8:33 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Called it. I think this was the right move. Now if they can get rid of KOQ and resign Randle then we are golden
I think they either get rid of him or wait for him to eventually lose the back up job just like last year.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
10/21/2016  8:59 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
SkyWalker wrote:Can Baker really play the point? If rose or jennings go down for a few games who would be the backup? Baker?
He handled pressure last night in the closing minutes at the point. He did pretty well. He can play the point a little. I hope the Knicks revisit Randle.

I'd like to see them assign Baker to the D-League so he can get more reps at PG. He has some tools, nut he needs some more work as a PG. It'll help in the long-run. All he has to do is look at Sasha to see how it can help prolong his career.

he already makes great passes-- correct passes-- and sets up teammates for easy buckets. that left-handed underhand rifle last night is proof enough for me. rose and ennings tend to make wild passes while in the air that often lead to either turnovers or low-percentage shots for teammates. he doesn't need reps in d-league he needs a good chunk of ennings minutes on the new york knicks. he's also already a better shooter than ennings and rose.

bottom line is baker makes others around him better and plays better wth better players. the opposite is the case for the two pgs ahead of him. hornacek might have the guts to get baker 16 minutes a game, then again he might fold to the pressure of doing the politically correct thing.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/21/2016  9:26 PM
dk7th wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

he already makes great passes-- correct passes-- and sets up teammates for easy buckets. that left-handed underhand rifle last night is proof enough for me. rose and ennings tend to make wild passes while in the air that often lead to either turnovers or low-percentage shots for teammates. he doesn't need reps in d-league he needs a good chunk of ennings minutes on the new york knicks. he's also already a better shooter than ennings and rose.

bottom line is baker makes others around him better and plays better wth better players. the opposite is the case for the two pgs ahead of him. hornacek might have the guts to get baker 16 minutes a game, then again he might fold to the pressure of doing the politically correct thing.

I'm never a proponent of throwing a rookie in PG right out the gate. You look at past rookie PGs and you'll see that they have major struggled. Even the greats like Kidd and Nash. Magic, Penny Hardaway,Paul and, maybe, Tim Hardaway are the only ones I can think of who might've polished enough to contribute immediately to a playoff team straight out of college. I'm not saying Baker should stay in the D-League all season, but he should go there to work on things like scoring in the paint, dribbling under pressure, etc. He's already made great strides, and I think he'll improve more with consistent playing time.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
10/21/2016  10:01 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
dk7th wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I'm never a proponent of throwing a rookie in PG right out the gate. You look at past rookie PGs and you'll see that they have major struggled. Even the greats like Kidd and Nash. Magic, Penny Hardaway,Paul and, maybe, Tim Hardaway are the only ones I can think of who might've polished enough to contribute immediately to a playoff team straight out of college. I'm not saying Baker should stay in the D-League all season, but he should go there to work on things like scoring in the paint, dribbling under pressure, etc. He's already made great strides, and I think he'll improve more with consistent playing time.

I think the Knicks have a really good thing going in Westchester. Mike Miller is from the Spurs coaching tree and the team was much better last year than the previous year. Plumlee, NDour and/or Baker probably should spend time there if they aren't playing for the Knicks. Baker fills more of a need with his versatility so he may stay with the Knicks. I don't think he is a guy that ends up getting most of his minutes at the point. I think he sees time at the point, 2, and 3. I have heard a few guys on podcasts speculate that he will defend 3's when he is on the floor with Kuz. It is pretty awesome that the Knicks have 5 rookies in a year where they had no picks.
Malcolm
Member: #6131

10/21/2016  10:16 PM
CrushAlot wrote: It is pretty awesome that the Knicks have 5 rookies in a year where they had no picks.
Nice observation . . .
CrushAlot
USA
10/21/2016  11:05 PM
Malcolm wrote:
CrushAlot wrote: It is pretty awesome that the Knicks have 5 rookies in a year where they had no picks.
Nice observation . . .
Grabbing Inglis was also a nice move. He did not look that great at Westchester last year but he was an intriguing prospect when he entered the draft. He is 6'9 with a 7'3 wing span and played the point some. I don't think he has the drive/mindset to be an nba player but taking a flyer on him as a d league prospect was a smart move.
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
10/21/2016  11:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/21/2016  11:36 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
dk7th wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

it sounds like you think i believe he's a starter-- he's not starting-caliber and may never be. but i still believe he is worthy of-- and can be a great contributor this season-- for 15-16 minutes a game. he seems like the sort who will thrive under pressure.

the reason why i am high on him is within the context of the knicks' extant split personality. the point guards we acquired for one-year contracts are not triangle players and will NEVER be. yet you have seen that the bench is capable of playing very effectively in the triangle, getting very good open looks. "find the open man." red holzman.

baker has the potential to be the key to having the other four starters-- including carmelo-- be able to run the triangle effectively, let alone the bench. and by the way melo is supposed to be the sort of closer that mike jordan and bryant were for their teams at the end of games. i don't see that with ennings and mr. sex belt. i do see that with baker.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

10/22/2016  8:37 AM
So gonnna be

Noah/Hernangomez/Plumlee/OQuinn
Porzingis/Thomas/NDour
Anthony/Kuzminskas
Lee/Vujacic/Holiday
Rose/Jennings/Baker

Our one thin spot is 2 guard. Could see Hornachek go with some Rose-Jennings backcourt lineups to boost the backcourt skill level.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/22/2016  10:50 AM
dk7th wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
dk7th wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

it sounds like you think i believe he's a starter-- he's not starting-caliber and may never be. but i still believe he is worthy of-- and can be a great contributor this season-- for 15-16 minutes a game. he seems like the sort who will thrive under pressure.

the reason why i am high on him is within the context of the knicks' extant split personality. the point guards we acquired for one-year contracts are not triangle players and will NEVER be. yet you have seen that the bench is capable of playing very effectively in the triangle, getting very good open looks. "find the open man." red holzman.

baker has the potential to be the key to having the other four starters-- including carmelo-- be able to run the triangle effectively, let alone the bench. and by the way melo is supposed to be the sort of closer that mike jordan and bryant were for their teams at the end of games. i don't see that with ennings and mr. sex belt. i do see that with baker.

His movement away from the ball is superb. Making reads as the ball swings to him, and his movement allows him to get the openings for the ball to swing to him. He isn't going to blow by defenders though with the ball in his hands though. I like him as an off ball combo guard who can make the right reads complimenting the lead guard.

Here's a good pg like setup for 3.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
blkexec
Member: #748
10/22/2016  10:50 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:So gonnna be

Porzingis/Thomas/NDour
Anthony/Kuzminskas
Lee/Vujacic/Holiday
Rose/Jennings/Baker

Our one thin spot is 2 guard. Could see Hornachek go with some Rose-Jennings backcourt lineups to boost the backcourt skill level.

Is this weakness on offense or defense?

Because as far as defending the 2, baker, lee, sasha is pretty deep.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
nychamp
Member: #2556

10/22/2016  10:59 AM
blkexec wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:So gonnna be

Porzingis/Thomas/NDour
Anthony/Kuzminskas
Lee/Vujacic/Holiday
Rose/Jennings/Baker

Is this weakness on offense or defense?

Because as far as defending the 2, baker, lee, sasha is pretty deep.

Yeah, also Holiday seems solid defensively on the ball and is long. I think he'll be the 2nd string SG w/Sasha getting fewer minutes but also playing the PG position from time to time.

My concern about defense is down low, I think the Knicks are thin from a bodying up perspective and vs. a power game in the paint. That's what I'm seeing as an area of weakness going into the season.

Malcolm

10/22/2016  11:42 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:it sounds like you think i believe he's a starter-- he's not starting-caliber and may never be. but i still believe he is worthy of-- and can be a great contributor this season-- for 15-16 minutes a game. he seems like the sort who will thrive under pressure.

His movement away from the ball is superb. Making reads as the ball swings to him, and his movement allows him to get the openings for the ball to swing to him. He isn't going to blow by defenders though with the ball in his hands though. I like him as an off ball combo guard who can make the right reads complimenting the lead guard.

Good post (!)

What this demonstrates to me is what complete nonsense it is to say that
"players don't like the Triangle" and so you can't find Triangle players
and can't play the Triangle in today's NBA.

I say get rid of Rose and go back to learning and developing the Triangle (!)

Malcolm

10/22/2016  12:09 PM
dk7th wrote:baker has the potential to be the key to having the other four starters-- including carmelo
-- be able to run the triangle effectively, let alone the bench. and by the way melo is
supposed to be the sort of closer that mike jordan and bryant were for their teams at the
end of games. i don't see that with ennings and mr. sex belt. i do see that with baker.
Yes.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/22/2016  12:37 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
dk7th wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
dk7th wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Awesome post and I agree 100%. Have been feeling this way about Baker for a while now

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knicks announce the roster cuts (Chasson Randle, J.P. Tokoto, Lou Amundson, Cleanthony Early and Damien Inglis)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy