[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Athletes and their money
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/6/2004  8:29 PM
It's messed up that these dudes make money and they don't give back to their communities but they would go on MTV cribs or BET how I'm living and brag.

NY Baller and I touched on it in the last thread I started.

Well I think all these charities and appearences and foundations are so stupid.

What I wanna see is these ball players whether baseball, basketball, or Football go back to the cities they grew up on.....the streets that taught them the game.....give back by building a recreation center in that vacant lot where all the drug dealers and crackheads used to and still hang at. Assist in stuff like health insurance, and education to more than just the handful of people they help.......Build affordable housing to get people out of the projects.

Alot of these stupid things they do is for tax purposes anyway.

For example......Vinnie Johnson grew up in Bushwick Brooklyn in a rowdy neighborhood. That dude hasn't came back to the hood since he left to play in the NBA. Now I'm not saying that they have to still live there but there should at least be a park and a foundation geared to help the people at least in Bushwick.

Referbish that park with the bullet holes in the backboard,.....the park where if you trip on a crack it's a travel.......that's what I'm saying.

It's not just Vinnie but Mario Elie, Anthony Mason, Rod Strickland, Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, Mark "Christian" Jackson, Kenny Anderson, Jamal Mashburn......whoever else came out of NYC.......why at the very least don't they get together and actually put more down then $100,000 on a bullshyte charity......
They all either have some kind of foundation or they are donating chump change to a few of them.

Everytime you see a MTV Cribs or BET how I'm livin you should cringe in disgust. I remember Kenny had this huge mansion with no furniture. Gary PAyton has a few houses and his summer house is a sick crazy mansion in Pheonix that they hardly ever stay at. He customized a crazy swiming pool just for his kids.

Whatever.....

Let's discuss!
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/6/2004  8:36 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

Which ones? Tim Duncan has supported many cancer charities. Would you rather he build a park?
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
nyballer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #108
USA
8/6/2004  8:47 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

What I wanna see is these ball players whether baseball, basketball, or Football go back to the cities they grew up on.....the streets that taught them the game.....give back by building a recreation center in that vacant lot where all the drug dealers and crackheads used to and still hang at. Assist in stuff like health insurance, and education to more than just the handful of people they help.......Build affordable housing to get people out of the projects.

Allan Houston spends a lot of time working with youth, especially in his homestate:
The Allan Houston Celebrity Golf Classic: A Tribute to Derek Smith held it’s annual YouthFest at Canaan Baptist Church. The YouthFest featured golf and basketball demonstrations given by celebrity guests like Charlie Ward and John Starks. The University of Louisville Women’s Basketball Team also provided some basketball instruction. Activity stations featuring arts, crafts and a technology-oriented booth sponsored by AllanHouston.Com also received much attention from the kids. The YouthFest also provided free lunch for the kids and the day rounded out with a HUGE gospel hip hop concert. The Gospel Ganstaz, Ray Baty, SonnyFaith and Cross Movement performed.

NBA National Read To Achieve
Allan and his father, Wade, are a part of the NBA's National Read to Achieve team which encourages young people to read.

P.E.N.C.I.L. - Public Education Needs Civic Involvement in Learning.

PENCIL was established in 1995 to galvanize and coordinate meaningful civic involvement in New York City public education. From individual initiatives to system-wide projects, PENCIL's work has produced real results, leveraging the resources of thousands of citizens and generating the infusion of countless hours and millions of dollars into public schools throughout the city.

One of PENCIL's most widely recognized and hugely success programs is the Principal for a Day Program which annually mobilizes more than 1000 business and community leaders from all walks of like to experience a day in a the life of a New York public school administrator.
I agree that athletes should give back and I think a lot of them are - Allan houston donated a lot of money to WTC victims; it's not refurbishing parks but it is still a great gesture and an honorable thing for him to do. i'm focusing on houston because he was brought up in the previous thread and I wanted to point out he does give back to communities - he works on educational facilities and is known to volunteer at boys and girls clubs around new york
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/6/2004  8:51 PM
Most wealthy people don't give nearly as much as they could. I don't think it's anything specific about just athletes
EnySpree

8/6/2004  8:56 PM
Posted by codeunknown:
Posted by EnySpree:

Which ones? Tim Duncan has supported many cancer charities. Would you rather he build a park?

They all are supporting some charity like that.

Yeah I would expect them to give back to the cities they grew up in. The cities where Kids sell drugs to buy a $300 throw back jersey.

Like Micheal Jordan....he is the worst.

His Jordans used to come out in limited suppy and kids would be in crazy lines all over the world to spend $200 dollars on them....you think he doesn't know that goes on?

Much props to Magic cuz the dude does good business by producing jobs and other opportunities for people that....blah blah blah....

More can be done though.....

Actors and musicans should be doing more also instead of the chump change donations they give to Cure cancer.....like thats possible.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

8/6/2004  9:05 PM
Posted by nyballer:

I agree that athletes should give back and I think a lot of them are - Allan houston donated a lot of money to WTC victims; it's not refurbishing parks but it is still a great gesture and an honorable thing for him to do. i'm focusing on houston because he was brought up in the previous thread and I wanted to point out he does give back to communities - he works on educational facilities and is known to volunteer at boys and girls clubs around new york

Stop defending yourself....it's not about that.

That Pencil program that Allan has.....i never heard of it....and I have Kids in school and family that have kids and know people who know people who have kids that never heard of that either.

What good is a program if no one knows about it?

I'm only really focusing on ball players because alot of them came from underneath the projects.....all they do now is buy houses, cars and stack dough.....fine and dandy cuz they earned it and deserved it but you mean to tell me they couldn't start a foundation to fix up the streets they grew up in?
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/6/2004  9:35 PM

Why do you insist that that the help they give be localized? Its unnecessary. As long as they give help to those that need it, that should be enough.

And cancer can be cured and symptoms minimized, for your information. Not too far down the line either.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/6/2004  9:49 PM
Real improvement on the scale you are talking about is impossible without goverment programs. No individual no matter how wealthy can sustain a financial effort long enough to turn around a block, let alone a city. You can build that new pakr, but it will be ruined in a short while if the people living around it have no jobs, the crime is rampant, and drugs are the the only way to quick money.

You have to creat jobs, demolish entire blocks, build up chip but good housing, give out tax releaf to busines to operate in the area. That is billions of dollars that need to be spend anualy. No athlete or all athletes put together can afford that. If the US government spend as much on improving the urban slums as they do on the pentagon we would no even be talkin about this.

Charity never works period, it only provides an excsue for the republicans to cointinue pushing there ridiculous tricle down theory, while making the rich richer and the middle class more poor. They don't even care about the poor, to them they don't exist. Busch thinks he is an average American, being complelty blind to the fact that he comes from a very powerfull reach family.

If you really want to see improvements in the city streets then get involved politically, fewer then 50% voted in the last elections, and in the dozen elections before that. People refuse to take control of there own destiny and choose to remain ignorant. So neither the Democrats nor the Repbulcians end up really representing the nation. Just learn about the issues, and make your voice heard, it takes one person at at a time to change the world. But it also takes one person at a time to stunn progress with there refusal to get involved.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
8/6/2004  10:09 PM
"it takes one person at at a time to change the world. But it also takes one person at a time to stunn progress with there refusal to get involved."

That was a deep statement!
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Stevo718
Member: #559
8/6/2004  11:35 PM
I don't see why you are targeting black ball players in particular.

Shouldn't those CEO's that make a thousand times what the average worker in their company earns give back to all the inner city youths that buy their $200 sneakers and jerseys?

NCAA schools make a fortune off their athletes who are mostly black(you can even say 50% white, 50% black) is that same percentage applied in let's say scholarships? But the majority of students are white, you say? Well plenty of universities in the NCAA are within miles of inner city ghettoes. So shouldn't they use some of that money to help out the neighborhoods that produce these black athletes?

Howard Stern grew up in the ghetto... shouldn't he donate money to his old neighborhood?

Of course it would be nice if people didn't forget where they came from, but people are greedy and you can't criticize them for that cause it's their money, and people are greedy reguardless of where they from. I don't see why being raised in a rough place dictates that you have to "give back" to the community.

I mean I feel you but I can't be mad at them.
nyballer
USA
8/7/2004  3:40 AM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by nyballer:

Stop defending yourself....it's not about that.

That Pencil program that Allan has.....i never heard of it....and I have Kids in school and family that have kids and know people who know people who have kids that never heard of that either.

What good is a program if no one knows about it?

I'm only really focusing on ball players because alot of them came from underneath the projects.....all they do now is buy houses, cars and stack dough.....fine and dandy cuz they earned it and deserved it but you mean to tell me they couldn't start a foundation to fix up the streets they grew up in?
I'm not defending myself, I'm refuting my point. You said that athletes never give back to their community and im saying that your statements are unsubstantiated. are there athletes that dont give back? yes. it doesn't mean that no athletes do. so you never heard of the PENCIL program, maybe the program targets areas you dont live in. does that make it less important? are you trying to say that these athletes should give back to YOUR community? you think allan houston is donating his time and money to a useless cause? problems arent going to be fixed if players decide they dont want their jerseys selling. the main problem is education, i've worked in slum areas across the world, not just in new york, ive talked to 8 year old kids who have been working for 3 years to support themselves and their families. the real problem isthat the education systems never support growth and are never enough to counter hte population expansion, and people are always left jobless or left with menial jobs. until the government takes money out of iraq and puts it into education I doubt these problems will start to get better. the unemployment and illiteracy rate are much higher than they should be, and that is what is to blame for the condition of some urban areas, not throwback jerseys and designer shoes. if some rich kid from westchester wants to buy a throwback jersey he should be allowed to - if someone is struggling so much in the projects they should know not to buy that jersey because it just isn't practical.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/7/2004  8:02 AM
I cannot believe some of you are saying athletes do enough for their communities. It does not have to be localized and everything and of course CEOs should give more money and so should Howard stern but this is a sports Forum.

I honestly cannot tell the athlete to do more of the community. Its just not my place to do that. Having said that, and I know this is a very moral ethused subject and I am not at all a "good" person: Rich people, especially athletes that mostly come out of poverty to hit the top 10%-15% of our society should do more for the communities.

It is just a fact. Some athletes might do a lot but they are a rarity. And dont take this the wrong way, I appreciate what some athletes have done but it is mostly inadequate. That is my opinion not a judgement.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
nyballer
USA
8/7/2004  1:27 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:

I cannot believe some of you are saying athletes do enough for their communities. It does not have to be localized and everything and of course CEOs should give more money and so should Howard stern but this is a sports Forum.

I honestly cannot tell the athlete to do more of the community. Its just not my place to do that. Having said that, and I know this is a very moral ethused subject and I am not at all a "good" person: Rich people, especially athletes that mostly come out of poverty to hit the top 10%-15% of our society should do more for the communities.

It is just a fact. Some athletes might do a lot but they are a rarity. And dont take this the wrong way, I appreciate what some athletes have done but it is mostly inadequate. That is my opinion not a judgement.
Some athletes do help, some don't, but i can probably count on one hand the people that have done enough - as long as there are problems in this world thne I don't think we can say athletes have done "enough". It is troubling that you say that it is the responsibility of athletes that rise from poverty to do more for their communities - does that mean people born into old money don't have to do anything for society? I don't think it matters where you come from, if you have the means you should help others, whether your family members were millionares or they were broke
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/7/2004  3:20 PM
Posted by nyballer:

It is troubling that you say that it is the responsibility of athletes that rise from poverty to do more for their communities - does that mean people born into old money don't have to do anything for society?
NO!!! Athletes have a better understanding of how much poverty can hurt than people born into old money. THEY DONT HAVE MORE OF A RESPONSIBILITY!!! THEY SHOULD DO MORE BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE OF AN IDEA!! The point is extremely obvious and self explantory so if you are just trying to prolong this as an argument stop and save both of us time.
I don't think it matters where you come from, if you have the means you should help others, whether your family members were millionares or they were broke
Exactly what I said!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
EnySpree

8/7/2004  6:05 PM
Posted by nyballer:

I'm not defending myself, I'm refuting my point. You said that athletes never give back to their community and im saying that your statements are unsubstantiated. are there athletes that dont give back? yes. it doesn't mean that no athletes do. so you never heard of the PENCIL program, maybe the program targets areas you dont live in. does that make it less important? are you trying to say that these athletes should give back to YOUR community? you think allan houston is donating his time and money to a useless cause? problems arent going to be fixed if players decide they dont want their jerseys selling. the main problem is education, i've worked in slum areas across the world, not just in new york, ive talked to 8 year old kids who have been working for 3 years to support themselves and their families. the real problem isthat the education systems never support growth and are never enough to counter hte population expansion, and people are always left jobless or left with menial jobs. until the government takes money out of iraq and puts it into education I doubt these problems will start to get better. the unemployment and illiteracy rate are much higher than they should be, and that is what is to blame for the condition of some urban areas, not throwback jerseys and designer shoes. if some rich kid from westchester wants to buy a throwback jersey he should be allowed to - if someone is struggling so much in the projects they should know not to buy that jersey because it just isn't practical.

Wow....

That whole bit proves to me you have no clue about my point.

Yeah the goverment is really to blame but the goverment don't want to help the troubled urban communities because they know that means revolution. We can get deep about that but I'm talking abou these athletes......

My whole thing is if you make millions you have an obligation to help the community you are from.

Dikembe Mutombo has been trying to build a hosptial for years and it will be up soon......not in NY, Atlanta, Denver, Philly, or New Jersey......back home in the congo! That's what I'm talking about dude is still rich and wealthy but he knows that it is his obligation to help the communities where he came from....

That's what I'm talking about.

These guys don't have to do like Mutombo and build a hospital but there should be evidence that those players came from certain neighborhoods. They have the power to help.

I could care less about some white millionare unless they came out of the ghetto. All the white celebs donate more than enough money for cancer, etc.....The problem is not cancer. Cancer is something that happens naturally by Gods hands.....

The black millionare from the ghetto should be involved in the communities where they came from. They have the power to make a difference. The goverment ain't trying to help.

Let me be fortunate enough to hit the lotto or something crazy like that.....best believe there will be more that a few things going on in Brooklyn with my name on it....referbishing parks, building affordable homes, opening up businesses in those abandoned store fronts, etc.....That makes a difference.

Those 8 year old kids supporting their families that you saw with your own eye's? Let all the charities out there continue to raise 10 cent a day to help them. I'm talking about giving back to where you came from!!!!
nyballer
USA
8/7/2004  7:39 PM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by nyballer:

Wow....

That whole bit proves to me you have no clue about my point.

Yeah the goverment is really to blame but the goverment don't want to help the troubled urban communities because they know that means revolution. We can get deep about that but I'm talking abou these athletes......

My whole thing is if you make millions you have an obligation to help the community you are from.

Dikembe Mutombo has been trying to build a hosptial for years and it will be up soon......not in NY, Atlanta, Denver, Philly, or New Jersey......back home in the congo! That's what I'm talking about dude is still rich and wealthy but he knows that it is his obligation to help the communities where he came from....

That's what I'm talking about.

These guys don't have to do like Mutombo and build a hospital but there should be evidence that those players came from certain neighborhoods. They have the power to help.

I could care less about some white millionare unless they came out of the ghetto. All the white celebs donate more than enough money for cancer, etc.....The problem is not cancer. Cancer is something that happens naturally by Gods hands.....

The black millionare from the ghetto should be involved in the communities where they came from. They have the power to make a difference. The goverment ain't trying to help.

Let me be fortunate enough to hit the lotto or something crazy like that.....best believe there will be more that a few things going on in Brooklyn with my name on it....referbishing parks, building affordable homes, opening up businesses in those abandoned store fronts, etc.....That makes a difference.

Those 8 year old kids supporting their families that you saw with your own eye's? Let all the charities out there continue to raise 10 cent a day to help them. I'm talking about giving back to where you came from!!!!
Okay, so take a black basketball player from Westchester - he doesn't have to give money back to his community? I don't think someone rich from the projects is any more responsible to give back than someone rich from an affluent area. i agree, people should give back more, but not just people who come from poor areas. And your argument about cancer makes no sense. God created polio, so we shouldnt have done research into that? You honestly expect a basketball player to donate money for affordable houses? so what does that do, help about 20 people get cheaper houses? these problems cant be patched up. yeah, i did work with 8 year old child laborers, it shows you how mcuh bigger the problem is. it isn't going to be solved by a few rich donors, although the money helps - it's just a temporary solution. the class gap in this country is growing at a faster and faster rate and we need to implement more programs to help the poor, not the rich. parks are nice, but building a playground isnt going to stop the drugs and violence and poverty. the point is, if athletes want to make a difference they need to use their money as power and make a difference and influence the social programs in our country, you can't hold basketball players responsible for their communities, that won't work.
Athletes and their money

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy