[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Preseason #3: Wall and Wash
Author Thread
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

10/10/2016  10:37 PM
Our starting PG had 1 assist and our starting frontcourt 13 rebounds WTF!
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
AUTOADVERT
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

10/10/2016  10:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/10/2016  10:43 PM
Clean wrote:One of the things I love about Plumlee is he does everything at 100%. When Jenning got that and 1 and was on the floor Plumlee did a full on sprint to go pick him up.

After watching Hornacek on the post game, two things: (1) Plumlee's already a LOCK to make the club (can't say I disagree. Coach saying stuff like "he'll be right up there with BJ for crowd favorite" and "he can help us, even if he only got 8 mins one night." Those are "keeper" comments) and (2) he respects Jennings but you can tell he doesn't really care for all the immaturity we might see from him from time to time. Jeff just wasn't that type of player..You could tell during the game when Brandon was taken out either shortly after the Ware dust up or after making the 3 with the foul, Jeff kinda gave him an "ok, relax with that ****" look as he walked past him. Interested to see how Jeff handles that if it continues.

Sambakick
Member: #5646

10/10/2016  11:31 PM
Baker had a couple highlights but generally had trouble finishing at the rim. Also he made the rookie mistake of not running the shot clock down at the end of the game and instead trying to score on a fast break reverse layup. I think he is viewed as D-league material that needs a while to mature.

Baker Tokoto and Amundson would be my cuts.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
Sambakick
Member: #5646

10/10/2016  11:33 PM
Finestrg wrote:
Clean wrote:One of the things I love about Plumlee is he does everything at 100%. When Jenning got that and 1 and was on the floor Plumlee did a full on sprint to go pick him up.

After watching Hornacek on the post game, two things: (1) Plumlee's already a LOCK to make the club (can't say I disagree. Coach saying stuff like "he'll be right up there with BJ for crowd favorite" and "he can help us, even if he only got 8 mins one night." Those are "keeper" comments) and (2) he respects Jennings but you can tell he doesn't really care for all the immaturity we might see from him from time to time. Jeff just wasn't that type of player..You could tell during the game when Brandon was taken out either shortly after the Ware dust up or after making the 3 with the foul, Jeff kinda gave him an "ok, relax with that ****" look as he walked past him. Interested to see how Jeff handles that if it continues.

Alan Hahn also said something in postgame about how for all the histrionics from BJ that dude Ware is a 5'9" rookie.

It wasn't a great look in my opinion. I love the passion but BJ needs to pick his spots a little better.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/11/2016  1:07 AM
Sambakick wrote:Baker had a couple highlights but generally had trouble finishing at the rim. Also he made the rookie mistake of not running the shot clock down at the end of the game and instead trying to score on a fast break reverse layup. I think he is viewed as D-league material that needs a while to mature.

I've been talking up Baker since SL...so perhaps I'm biased. The shot clock play was pure pre-season rookie, but if you watch him without the ball, he does not play like a rookie. Knows how to set up and be available for a good shot, and also cuts well without the ball. I would probably let Randle and Baker get games in the DL.

Not sure what they see them each do in practice, but from what I've seen so far, I would keep him over Holiday, who does not look like a 27 year old veteran on the offensive end.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

10/11/2016  7:27 AM
One thing we are seeing is that even without the two major additions from Off-season in Noah and Rose the Knicks look like a competitive .500 level team. Still not certain what that makes them when we have a full strength team and a month or two of practice and playing together.

Porzingis has been relatively low key but is leading the team in points at 16.3 in just 24 minutes a game. If he gets around 30 a night in minutes, he should be able to give this team close to 18-19 points a night. Shooting 55% so far. Not bad at all. Wanted to see him improve in 3 key areas over the summer - his fitness to handle the long season, his shooting percentage and his defensive movement/recognition. I've seen a difference in the first two aspects.

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
10/11/2016  7:59 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:Our starting PG had 1 assist and our starting frontcourt 13 rebounds WTF!

he also shot 4-12. TS 44.2
versus rockets 2-10. TS 31
versus nets 2-6. TS 33

8-28 in 3 preseason games for a 28.5fg%

it's too early to come to a conclusion but these are the numbers of a losing player.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
10/11/2016  8:13 AM
cutting amundsen is the easy choice. youth must be served and plumlee is going to bring that and be able to get under the skin of opponents with energy and hard fouls in limited minutes. then it comes down to tokoto and baker. baker is solid but has limited upside-- but he can shoot. having not studied tokoto, i can't make a prediction as to which of the two is sent away.
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/11/2016  8:26 AM
Finestrg wrote:

Horny actually told him "stay in the game". Jennings had to find that balance.... but at the sane time he doesn't. That's why we have Derrick Rose. Rose has the opposite personality on the court. That is what's going to make this work

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TheGardenFaithful
Member: #6316

10/11/2016  8:38 AM
I really dont know why we brought back Lou and Sasha, there are far better prospects on this roster we could take going forward.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/11/2016  9:45 AM
good game. D is getting much better, especially on the interior. The passing is sloppy but I expect that to improve. Overall very happy with a lot of what I am seeing:
Jennings gets players easy buckets and creates a ton of space.
Willy is a player, plain and simple. I expect him to win the back up center role and view him as a long term piece for this franchise.
Randle looks great. Someone (Eny?) mentioned Nick Van Exel... I can def see some of that.
We are pushing the ball very nicely. Still sloppy in slowing it down when the defense gets back, but that's the kind of thing I expect to see cleaned up over time.

Boston has a nice mix of size and speedy guards. They are a very tough squad. Will be a good measuring stick

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
meloshouldgo

10/11/2016  11:17 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:One thing we are seeing is that even without the two major additions from Off-season in Noah and Rose the Knicks look like a competitive .500 level team. Still not certain what that makes them when we have a full strength team and a month or two of practice and playing together.

Porzingis has been relatively low key but is leading the team in points at 16.3 in just 24 minutes a game. If he gets around 30 a night in minutes, he should be able to give this team close to 18-19 points a night. Shooting 55% so far. Not bad at all. Wanted to see him improve in 3 key areas over the summer - his fitness to handle the long season, his shooting percentage and his defensive movement/recognition. I've seen a difference in the first two aspects.

I want to see more rebounding at least 8-9 rebounds a game, offensive rebounds may be harder for him because he spends time outside the 3pt line, but he needs to grab defensive boards. He is supposed to have worked on his core and lower body, it should help him box out a bit more.

Finestrg
Member: #1069

10/11/2016  11:33 AM
Gotta give them credit on Plumlee. They saw a lot of potential no one else did and that potential's already yielding dividends. I wonder if he can ever really develop his shooting like he showed in this draft workout video. I mean imagine? WOW!

Clean
Member: #743
10/11/2016  12:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/11/2016  12:03 PM
Finestrg wrote:Gotta give them credit on Plumlee. They saw a lot of potential no one else did and that potential's already yielding dividends. I wonder if he can ever really develop his shooting like he showed in this draft workout video. I mean imagine? WOW!

Don't say no one else did. I was high on what he could be in the future from when I saw his workout tapes and in the summer league game threads. I never thought he would be a starter but I saw him developing into a really good big off the bench. The reason he is ahead of schedule is because he gives 100% all of the time. His mid range shot that he showed in summer league and workouts have not made an appearance yet but it will come with more experience.

Edit: I found one of my posts from the summer league game thread.
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=54828

Clean wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Plummlee looks like he wasted his time playing on Duke. He has alot of physical tools but not a polished player. He dies look like he can be but he has to put in the work. He needs counter moves

I agree, I think he can be a Cole Aldrich type role player with a decent mid range shot. It will take time like it did with Cole but he will help a team in the future.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/11/2016  12:23 PM
Clean wrote:
Finestrg wrote:Gotta give them credit on Plumlee. They saw a lot of potential no one else did and that potential's already yielding dividends. I wonder if he can ever really develop his shooting like he showed in this draft workout video. I mean imagine? WOW!

Don't say no one else did. I was high on what he could be in the future from when I saw his workout tapes and in the summer league game threads. I never thought he would be a starter but I saw him developing into a really good big off the bench. The reason he is ahead of schedule is because he gives 100% all of the time. His mid range shot that he showed in summer league and workouts have not made an appearance yet but it will come with more experience.

Clean wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Plummlee looks like he wasted his time playing on Duke. He has alot of physical tools but not a polished player. He dies look like he can be but he has to put in the work. He needs counter moves

I agree, I think he can be a Cole Aldrich type role player with a decent mid range shot. It will take time like it did with Cole but he will help a team in the future.

He reminds me of Chris Dudley.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/11/2016  1:01 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
Clean wrote:

Clean wrote:

That's just a mean thing to say without a sarcastic smiley. Or is it just that all us white guys look the same?

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/11/2016  2:11 PM
jrodmc wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Clean wrote:

Clean wrote:

That's just a mean thing to say without a sarcastic smiley. Or is it just that all us white guys look the same?

What's wrong with Dudley? I like him. I thought he was a key player in the rotation for the Knicks.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/11/2016  4:43 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
Sambakick wrote:Baker had a couple highlights but generally had trouble finishing at the rim. Also he made the rookie mistake of not running the shot clock down at the end of the game and instead trying to score on a fast break reverse layup. I think he is viewed as D-league material that needs a while to mature.

I've been talking up Baker since SL...so perhaps I'm biased. The shot clock play was pure pre-season rookie, but if you watch him without the ball, he does not play like a rookie. Knows how to set up and be available for a good shot, and also cuts well without the ball. I would probably let Randle and Baker get games in the DL.

Not sure what they see them each do in practice, but from what I've seen so far, I would keep him over Holiday, who does not look like a 27 year old veteran on the offensive end.

I had my doubts in SL because Baker's specialty was 3 point shooting in college, and he wasn't doing much of it. I agree that in spite of his rookie mistakes, Baker sees the floor well, and is a good decision maker. Has to look for his shot a little more. Not a flashy player, but he looks like he can help the team with more seasoning, here or in the D-league.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/11/2016  6:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/11/2016  7:06 PM
Comparing Plummlee from summer league and what he's bringing in pre season is night and day. He even looks more fit and explosive. He's definitely in way better condition. He's flying up and down the court, he's also actively trying to bang it on people. He went for a vicious poster dunk on one of the first times he got fouled in the Brooklyn game. He went around on a reverse spike dunk against Washington... with speed and power. That hard work I mentioned that he needed to do? Well it likes like he's been working pretty hard. I love it
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
meloshouldgo

10/11/2016  7:07 PM
Whatever we do we need to keep Plumlee and Kuz
Preseason #3: Wall and Wash

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy