Zeke on FAN right now
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/6/2004  8:46 PM
Posted by joec32033:

http://wfan.com/chrismikeaudio/, yeah the interview is posted....

I just listened to Chris Russo interview Zeke on WFAN and then Steve Smith from the Chicago newspapers about the Craw deal.

Basically Russo believes-The Knicks should have rebuilt totally. He hates the Crawford deal and thinks that the Knicks settled for mediocrity. At one point he said the Knicks basically secured thet 7th seed instead of the tenth. Also he asked Zeke who the last 8 seed to win the championship was (neither could name one, but he conveniently forgot the Knicks made the Finals as an 8th seed in 1999.) Seemed pretty certain that it was a bad financial investment...

Zeke said he is building in steps. We need to lose to learn to win (that is one of the great sports enigmas, isn't it?). Also my favorite quote that Zeke had when Russo was basically badgering him (can't the guy get his sinus's cleared or something...he has the MOST annoying voice I have ever heard on any radio show in existence)..."We are trying to change the engine while 40,000 feet in the air". Admitted that money was not an issue, nor will it be, either. He is looking at talent and the team, not at the price tag.

Smith said-Craw will be no more than a 3rd guard in a very good 3 guard rotation. IMHO, the Chicago media has been against this trade since it was first talked about so take that for what you want. He also said that Craw needs to learn to play the game, essentially he is more street than old-school. Also brough up the fact that this may be a precursor to another trade (he seemed pretty sure of it, considering he hammered the point pretty hard, but he also kept sayin he didn't know. So either he is giving Zeke a hell of alot more credit than he deserves or he is plain calling him stupid). He said point blank he wouldn't do this trade if he was the Knicks.

Russo seemed pretty intent on defending his point the Knicks aren't that much improved...he also ignored the 31 mil in expiring contracts at the end of the season.
It's the same boring criticism all the time. The only way to rebuild is supposedly to get under the cap and get draft picks. It works brilliantly. Just ask Atlanta, LA (Clips), Chicago, etc. Ever notice that most of the teams under the cap are always stuck in the lottery? Maybe getting under the cap isn't so wonderful
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/6/2004  9:57 PM
Russo is a hack. Sports radio is all about causing controversy where there is none. That guy's job is to antagonize people left and right. He's a jerk and he's paid well to be a jerk. And yes, he knows absolutely NOTHING about basketball.
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/6/2004  10:27 PM
Huh. Sam Smith says he thinks Isiah may be planning on packaging Jamal with someone to get Vince Carter in December. Huh. I could actually see that happening.

This is from the WFAN interview, linked above.
¿ △ ?
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
8/6/2004  11:17 PM
in refrence to the knicks tanking and standing pat until contracts run out.
I think knick fans would understand.
would'nt that take at least 3 yrs? this guy is a moron, with a capital MORON! imagine the knicks not making the playoffs for another 3 yrs. i for one would'nt "understand".
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
8/6/2004  11:28 PM
"i think knick fans would understand"
lol. that's still killing me. lol.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/7/2004  12:27 AM
Ok, But I would understand.

I think Isiah has done a good job because daddy warbucks allowed the team to buy itself out of trouble for now.

But I for one was hoping Laydog would just blow it out and rebuild. Same for Isiah. But he has done ok with all that money.

Please consider the effect out payroll is and expiring contracts really do. If Penny makes 15 mil his last year, that means we can get a player someone wants to get rid of and has more years on his deal. So you assume the team can just keep spirialing up the spending.

But yes, I would have been fine supporting younger players getting run and ridding ourselves of the bloat.

That does not mean I support or agree with the radio hacks, but would hve gone along if presented well. Someting Laydog was unable to communicate.

It is what it is.

I have to go on Isiah teaching Craw and Marbs how it is done. Based on the history of those two, they have shown nothing but selfish based ball.

ANd why we always taking about Isiah teaching! Don't we have a head coach? Lenny is old school. Ok by me as long as our players play for him.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/7/2004  12:36 AM
As things stand now, the Knicks will be under the cap when Houston's contract expires:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

If they can maintain that posture, and if there will be some top tier FAs at that time, the Knicks will in effect have blown it up, and rebuilt at the same time, and put themselves in a position to be an elite team within three years.
Bonn1997
USA
8/7/2004  9:11 AM
Posted by Rich:

As things stand now, the Knicks will be under the cap when Houston's contract expires:

They have 3 players taking up about 85% of the cap after Houston's contract expires. Sure, if they Don't keep Sweetney and fill all the remaining roster spots with players playing for the league minimum, they'll have enough cap room to offer one player slightly more than the MLE
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/7/2004  10:03 AM

What if we do this: Dont sign anyone for 3 years. Then sign Duncan, KG and Yao with all the cap space. Then our lineup will be:

Stephon
Crawford
KG
Duncan
Yao
Thats really good.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Rich
USA
8/7/2004  4:15 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:

They have 3 players taking up about 85% of the cap after Houston's contract expires. Sure, if they Don't keep Sweetney and fill all the remaining roster spots with players playing for the league minimum, they'll have enough cap room to offer one player slightly more than the MLE

How do you know what the cap will be in three years? You don't

Getting under the cap in three years is the best thing this franchise can do going forward.
Bonn1997
USA
8/7/2004  5:55 PM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:

The cap changes very minimally each year. I don't expect there to be a huge change.

Getting under the cap in three years is the best thing this franchise can do going forward.
You can't keep making blind statements like that but you haven't explained why most teams under the cap and up being annual repeat lotterry teams. Getting under the cap usually ensures a bad team that free agents don't want to go to.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/07/2004 17:57:48]
Rich
USA
8/7/2004  10:23 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:

The cap changes very minimally each year. I don't expect there to be a huge change.

You can't keep making blind statements like that but you haven't explained why most teams under the cap and up being annual repeat lotterry teams. Getting under the cap usually ensures a bad team that free agents don't want to go to.

The only thing blind is your selective perception of the facts.

How did the Lakers sign Shaq? They got under the cap.

How did Kiki turn around the Nuggets? He got under the cap.

How did Riley turn around the Heat? With good drafting and getting under the cap to sign Odom.

Try to see reality more clearly. Smart basketball decisionmakers are able to turn around their teams by getting under the cap.
Bonn1997
USA
8/7/2004  10:33 PM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:

How did Riley turn around the Heat? With good drafting and getting under the cap to sign Odom.

Try to see reality more clearly. Smart basketball decisionmakers are able to turn around their teams by getting under the cap.
You're right; occasionally a team is successfuly by rebuilding by getting under the cap. It works about 25 percent of the time. You're ignoring the 75% of the time it doesn't work. There are four Clipper type of teams that are under the cap and in the lottery every year for every one Laker type of team that succeeds in rebuilding by getting under the cap. I'm not ignoring either type of team. I know that occasionally getting under the cap does work, even though it usually just ensures that you'll be stuck in the lottery for a long time. I'm glad our GM is smart enough to realize that cap room usually turns out to be fool's gold.
Rich
USA
8/7/2004  11:02 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:

You're right; occasionally a team is successfuly by rebuilding by getting under the cap. It works about 25 percent of the time. You're ignoring the 75% of the time it doesn't work. There are four Clipper type of teams that are under the cap and in the lottery every year for every one Laker type of team that succeeds in rebuilding by getting under the cap. I'm not ignoring either type of team. I know that occasionally getting under the cap does work, even though it usually just ensures that you'll be stuck in the lottery for a long time. I'm glad our GM is smart enough to realize that cap room usually turns out to be fool's gold.

Two points:

1) Isiah is smart enough to use the cap room wisely, and the allure of playing for the New York Knicks at MSG for a charismatic former player turned GM, is a sufficient inducement to attact virtually any free agent. Most of the teams that have failed to use cap room prudently have either dumb GMs, or an unattractive city to sell, or a team that lacks the talent base that free agents want to play with. The Knicks franchise would be a free agent magnet if they were ever able to free up significant cap space.

2) The Clippers are, as we say in the law, sui generis; they are in a class by themselves. I wish the Knicks had their roster. The reason that collection of talent isn't more successful is incomprehensibe. My guess is that the are finally likely to become a winning team soon.
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
8/7/2004  11:29 PM
Posted by Rich:

I just want to clear a few things up here:

The Lakers signed Shaq in the pre-cap era. Riley was extremely fortunate that Anthony Carter and his agent are such dingbats that they didn't exercise a player option that ended up freeing space for Miami to deal with. That was most definitely not a planned effort on Riley's part. Kiki's done well, but he hasn't exactly built a champion yet.

Think about the teams that have been highly successful in this league over the past few years. How'd they get there?

Lakers: Kobe (trade) + Shaq (pre-cap signing) = 3 titles

Kings: Webber (trade) + Bibby (trade) + Peja (14th pick) = WCF

Pistons: Rip Hamilton (trade) + Ben Wallace (trade) + Chauncey Billups (MLE) + Rasheed (trade) + Prince (23rd pick) = Title

Dallas: Nash (trade) + Nowitzki (trade) + Finley (trade) = WCF

Nets: Kidd (trade) + Jefferson (trade) + Kenyon (1st pick) = Finals

Indiana: Artest (trade) + O'Neal (trade) = ECF

The Spurs are a successful team that has been well managed and extremely fortunate. We all know that they were expected to be a contender the year they won the 1st pick in the draft. If it wasn't for Robinons injury, they were on their way to another 50+ win year. If the Admiral is not sidelined all season, Tim Duncan is likely a Sixer. Tim Duncan and Allen Iverson teammates in Philly - imagine what a different league we'd be watching.

A lot of this stuff is not under the GM's control.

The point to all of this is that there is not one right way to manage and build a successful NBA team. If there was, everyone would do it. And even in all cases there's a certain amount of good fortune that's needed for things to work out. Some of the most successful teams out there got their top pieces from trades and good fortune. Not many of them got under the cap and lured a prize free agent. For every Yao and Lebron there's a Kwame and Jay Williams. So even the number one pick is no lock.

The ongoing debates about what our future looks like are entertaining and informative, but the idea that anyone knows for certain what will transpire is silly. With that said, there's just as much a chance as our team developing chemistry and becoming special as there is for our team to crumble under the pressure. As a fan, I prefer to keep a positive outlook. Some argue that we've mortaged our future for mediocrity. I'll argue that we should wait and see.

The only thing I can say for sure is that we are more talented and we're commited to more money for the next few seasons. Those two statements are facts. Whether we're horrible, mediocre or great is yet to be determined.

I won't question Isiah's approach until I've had enough time to see results. In the meantime, as a fan, I'm gonna root for the Knicks to succeed.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
Rich
USA
8/8/2004  1:49 AM
Posted by eViL:
Posted by Rich:

I just want to clear a few things up here:

The Lakers signed Shaq in the pre-cap era. Riley was extremely fortunate that Anthony Carter and his agent are such dingbats that they didn't exercise a player option that ended up freeing space for Miami to deal with. That was most definitely not a planned effort on Riley's part. Kiki's done well, but he hasn't exactly built a champion yet.

Think about the teams that have been highly successful in this league over the past few years. How'd they get there?

Lakers: Kobe (trade) + Shaq (pre-cap signing) = 3 titles

Kings: Webber (trade) + Bibby (trade) + Peja (14th pick) = WCF

Pistons: Rip Hamilton (trade) + Ben Wallace (trade) + Chauncey Billups (MLE) + Rasheed (trade) + Prince (23rd pick) = Title

Dallas: Nash (trade) + Nowitzki (trade) + Finley (trade) = WCF

Nets: Kidd (trade) + Jefferson (trade) + Kenyon (1st pick) = Finals

Indiana: Artest (trade) + O'Neal (trade) = ECF

The Spurs are a successful team that has been well managed and extremely fortunate. We all know that they were expected to be a contender the year they won the 1st pick in the draft. If it wasn't for Robinons injury, they were on their way to another 50+ win year. If the Admiral is not sidelined all season, Tim Duncan is likely a Sixer. Tim Duncan and Allen Iverson teammates in Philly - imagine what a different league we'd be watching.

A lot of this stuff is not under the GM's control.

The point to all of this is that there is not one right way to manage and build a successful NBA team. If there was, everyone would do it. And even in all cases there's a certain amount of good fortune that's needed for things to work out. Some of the most successful teams out there got their top pieces from trades and good fortune. Not many of them got under the cap and lured a prize free agent. For every Yao and Lebron there's a Kwame and Jay Williams. So even the number one pick is no lock.

The ongoing debates about what our future looks like are entertaining and informative, but the idea that anyone knows for certain what will transpire is silly. With that said, there's just as much a chance as our team developing chemistry and becoming special as there is for our team to crumble under the pressure. As a fan, I prefer to keep a positive outlook. Some argue that we've mortaged our future for mediocrity. I'll argue that we should wait and see.

The only thing I can say for sure is that we are more talented and we're commited to more money for the next few seasons. Those two statements are facts. Whether we're horrible, mediocre or great is yet to be determined.

I won't question Isiah's approach until I've had enough time to see results. In the meantime, as a fan, I'm gonna root for the Knicks to succeed.

You are flat out wrong. O'Neal's first season playing for the Lakers was '96-'97. That was the very same year that Houston began playing for the Knicks. Houston was signed as a free agent, and so was Shaq.
Rich
USA
8/8/2004  1:57 AM
Just to clarify, you may recall that Ernie Grunfeld received a great deal of credit for trading Charles Smith and others to gain the cap room to sign Houston.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/8/2004  3:20 AM
Was it the same cap though, I don't think so.

The NBA locked out in 99, and when they came back I thought they instituted the salary cap for the first time, which would mean Shaq was pre-cap. I thought the same thing.
#Knickstaps
Rich
USA
8/8/2004  3:48 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Was it the same cap though, I don't think so.

The NBA locked out in 99, and when they came back I thought they instituted the salary cap for the first time, which would mean Shaq was pre-cap. I thought the same thing.

It was the same to the extent that you needed cap room to sign free agents. That's how the Lakers signed Shaq, and the Knicks signed Houston and Childs (ugh).

They have since tightened up the rules that enable teams to secure cap room. For example, when the Knicks traded Smith to the Spurs (and Christie to the Raptors) in order to create more cap room to sign free agents that off season, they were able to pay Smith's contract, and have it counted against the Spurs' cap. That was changed. But the same overall principles were in effect in terms of what it took to sign free agents.

I recall Checketts saying in interviews that he had planned to be under the cap that year for several seasons. When Dolan bought the Knicks that method of operation changed. The lost sight of the need for having a strategy, and relied solely on tactics in the absence of a plan.

Perhaps Isiah will force some discipline in the management structure.
Rich
USA
8/8/2004  3:51 AM
btw, You may recall that Miami tried to sign Juwann Howard as a free agent that same off season that Houston and Shaq signed, but when it was discovered that they structured his contract so as to circumvent the cap, the NBA voided his contract, and he signed with Washington.
Zeke on FAN right now

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy