[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Preseason GameThread! Finally! Houston! Tuesday 8pm EST on ESPN!!!!
Author Thread
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

10/5/2016  1:44 PM
They did not look like a team that practiced defense much if at all.
The thing with playing at a higher pace it also means you tend to allow more possessions for your opponents. Tends to mean more points against.

A litttle adjustment time needed for them to get on the same page defensively. I expect offense to take some time. On defense need better effort and more quality lineups.

KOQ shouldn't be starting ahead of Lance Thomas. Lance gives us a better defensive lineup.

AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/5/2016  4:46 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:They did not look like a team that practiced defense much if at all.
The thing with playing at a higher pace it also means you tend to allow more possessions for your opponents. Tends to mean more points against.

A litttle adjustment time needed for them to get on the same page defensively. I expect offense to take some time. On defense need better effort and more quality lineups.

KOQ shouldn't be starting ahead of Lance Thomas. Lance gives us a better defensive lineup.

I was really disappointed with KOQ. Hopefully it was just a bad night but it follows a disappointing season. He does appear to be in better shape but I think after last year he needs to show improvement soon. I liked what Plumlee did with his minutes but he was playing in garbage time.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/6/2016  10:29 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:They did not look like a team that practiced defense much if at all.

I was really disappointed with KOQ. Hopefully it was just a bad night but it follows a disappointing season. He does appear to be in better shape but I think after last year he needs to show improvement soon. I liked what Plumlee did with his minutes but he was playing in garbage time.

I didn't like KOQs play last year and with that 1 preseason, at least to me, it seems nothing has changed. I liked Seraphin better than him last year. KOQ is the only player in our current roster that I want traded.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/6/2016  12:19 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I didn't like KOQs play last year and with that 1 preseason, at least to me, it seems nothing has changed. I liked Seraphin better than him last year. KOQ is the only player in our current roster that I want traded.

KOQ is undersized for center. Being so, either he needs to be an athletic freak that is to athletic for other bigs to compete with his athletism. Or a physical bull like Taj Gibson, or a skilled player like David Lee. He doesn't bring a niche.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
nychamp
Member: #2556

10/6/2016  12:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2016  12:49 PM
Yeah, after initially thinking of him as Oakley-esque after last preseason, I've pretty much lost faith in his ability to be a real contributor (after watching all of last season). Can't shoot, can't jump, average defender, makes interior passes a moment too late and they get picked off. I don't see him being better than a 3rd string center. I'm hoping Hernangómez can establish himself as the 2nd/3rd string center (behind Noah and Porzingis) and Kyle doesn't need to get significant burn. It's a bad sign if he plays a lot of minutes, IMO.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/6/2016  1:33 PM
nychamp wrote:Yeah, after initially thinking of him as Oakley-esque after last preseason, I've pretty much lost faith in his ability to be a real contributor (after watching all of last season). Can't shoot, can't jump, average defender, makes interior passes a moment too late and they get picked off. I don't see him being better than a 3rd string center. I'm hoping Hernangómez can establish himself as the 2nd/3rd string center (behind Noah and Porzingis) and Kyle doesn't need to get significant burn. It's a bad sign if he plays a lot of minutes, IMO.

Willie should beat him out at the end of preseason. Brings more to the table immediately and has more potential in the long run.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Finestrg
Member: #1069

10/6/2016  2:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2016  2:58 PM
nychamp wrote:Yeah, after initially thinking of him as Oakley-esque after last preseason, I've pretty much lost faith in his ability to be a real contributor (after watching all of last season). Can't shoot, can't jump, average defender, makes interior passes a moment too late and they get picked off. I don't see him being better than a 3rd string center. I'm hoping Hernangómez can establish himself as the 2nd/3rd string center (behind Noah and Porzingis) and Kyle doesn't need to get significant burn. It's a bad sign if he plays a lot of minutes, IMO.

He may have been a good rebounder/shot-blocker at the college level at one time but on the NBA level, I see O'Quinn's best attribute being his ability to shoot the ball a little bit. He's actually got some range all the way out to the 3-pt line. Thing with that is, at any given time, he'd be either the 4th or 5th option offensively out on the court meaning you really don't want him firing up deep jumpers like that. He seems to realize that too, hence the hesitation and lack of confidence. And then after that, I agree, his game looks subpar--average rebounder at best, average to below average shot-blocker, overrated passer, little to no post game, etc.. Not trying to knock him--he's not terrible and probably might be a better fit on another team as someone else suggested recently--but on this team, he's an average big, nothing more. I favor going with Willy's potential over O'Quinn (Willy's post play is way ahead of KOQ, might be just as good a mid-range shooter and the other elements--rebounding, etc.--might be just as good if not better too)...And now outta nowhere, it looks like Marshall Plumlee could turn out to be a player. I know it was garbage time but I really liked how he played the other night that last 5 mins. or so. Definitely wanna see more. Worst case he looks like a competent Jordan Bachynski replacement at Westchester (with time to develop into something more); best case, maybe he's a keeper on the 15-man (maybe we shop O'Quinn around and find a taker).

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
10/6/2016  3:28 PM

knicks need the bench players to run and defend. hernangomez can do both better right now than o'quinn. i do think o'quinn is not a bad passer in halfcourt sets but seems a bit too eager to shoot.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2016  3:31 PM
dk7th wrote:

knicks need the bench players to run and defend. hernangomez can do both better right now than o'quinn. i do think o'quinn is not a bad passer in halfcourt sets but seems a bit too eager to shoot.

Don't you hate when he fakes the pass and puts up a jumper when his teammates cut hard and are open???

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/6/2016  4:23 PM
nixluva wrote:
dk7th wrote:

Don't you hate when he fakes the pass and puts up a jumper when his teammates cut hard and are open???

He also throws a lot of high risk passes. When he connects they look great but that doesn't always happen.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
10/6/2016  9:19 PM
nixluva wrote:
dk7th wrote:

you mean like every other idiot at the y? yes, yes i hate that.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2016  9:42 PM
dk7th wrote:
nixluva wrote:
dk7th wrote:

you mean like every other idiot at the y? yes, yes i hate that.

I expect Willy to take his minutes if he keeps that crap up!

Preseason GameThread! Finally! Houston! Tuesday 8pm EST on ESPN!!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy