[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Preseason GameThread! Finally! Houston! Tuesday 8pm EST on ESPN!!!!
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
10/5/2016  10:43 AM
dk7th wrote:my take on things is that hornacek wants the point guards to get acclimated and find a balance between pushing the ball and setting up "an" offense, but frankly the offense looked incoherent. hopefully hornacek permitted them to "just play" so that he would have some film to go over with the team. for instance, for a guy who says he wants to be more of a ball sharer and facilitator, rose took the most shots last night, including a couple of bad shots and several trick shots that he happened to make. his fans applaud these sorts of acrobatics but i'd like him to cut down on both, and work on maintaining his dribble. also, he leaves his feet to pass the ball every god damned time! that shyt has to stop. my overall impression of rose is that he had an afflalo-esque effect on the game. his defense was atrocious and his bad shots led to scores on the other end a lot, ie he was a momentum changer in a negative way.

next game, after extensive film sessions, i expect to see more coherence. last night was hard to watch.

Rose has been taking the bad acrobatic layups his whole career. As well as leaving his feet to pass. I highly doubt that's gonna change at this point.

Once KP learns Rose's tendencies, he can learn when to crash the boards for an offensive rebound. Noah is very effective at rebounding Rose's misses, too. KOQ was not.

KP and Rose had chemistry, which was good to see. I think Melo needs to focus more on facilitating rather than holding the ball and stopping the flow. They need to find CLee for open threes more often, he was open and they looked him off a few times.

But I agree about the need to find the balance between fast paced and deliberate half court sets. This team may be better off trying to slow the pace for a half court game. I don't see them being able to play fast. At least not the starters. The bench might be able to be a change of pace unit, but I think the starting lineup is more of a half court unit.

Anyway, the big thing where they need to make strides is the defense. Have to close out on shooters and get back in transition.

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/5/2016  10:52 AM
NYKBocker wrote:My 2 cents...

1. We are going to miss RoLo. his defense, box out and wonderful picks will be missed. Hopefully, Noah can provide it.
2. Rose and Jennings are bad defensively. Courtney Lee is a very good perimeter defender. He will need to guard the better penetrating guard.
3. Melo looks tired. He just needs to get his second wind.
4. Willy has a high BBall IQ. He is a little slow footed. He reminds me a lot of Tiago Splitter.
5. We got a lot of open shots due to Rose and Jennings penetrating. Hopefully, those will fall soon.
6. Kuz is a player. He needs to be in the rotation.
7. Same with NDour.
8. Holiday looks unsure and rail thin. Was hoping he would show more.
9. OQuinn does not fit this team. He needs to be traded for some guard help.
10. Lance looks good.
11. The basketball gods has finally smile on us for KP.

My take on the rotation..

Starting 5...
Rose, Lee, Melo, KP, Noah

Rotation
Jennings, Kuz, NDour, Willy, Lance *** Lance and Kuz will need to play some SG.

The rest...
OQuinn, Plumlee, Baker, Holiday,Sasha

CUT..
Randle, Tokoto, Admunson

I agree with everything except I think Randle needs to stay with the team and we should cut and D league stash Baker.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/5/2016  10:53 AM
dk7th wrote:my take on things is that hornacek wants the point guards to get acclimated and find a balance between pushing the ball and setting up "an" offense, but frankly the offense looked incoherent. hopefully hornacek permitted them to "just play" so that he would have some film to go over with the team. for instance, for a guy who says he wants to be more of a ball sharer and facilitator, rose took the most shots last night, including a couple of bad shots and several trick shots that he happened to make. his fans applaud these sorts of acrobatics but i'd like him to cut down on both, and work on maintaining his dribble. also, he leaves his feet to pass the ball every god damned time! that shyt has to stop. my overall impression of rose is that he had an afflalo-esque effect on the game. his defense was atrocious and his bad shots led to scores on the other end a lot, ie he was a momentum changer in a negative way.

next game, after extensive film sessions, i expect to see more coherence. last night was hard to watch.

Agree with this. And I am willing to be patient while Hornacek let's them play to assess what he has in the preseason. But our defense was putrid and the usual excuses don't work there. There is no reason why they can't play a real structured and disciplined defense. Rose talking too many shots and Melo not passing are not things I wad looking forward to.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/5/2016  10:57 AM
What's funny is we probably could use JR Smith backing up Lee.... we need Holiday to assume that role. That's why you don't burn bridges. JR for the minimum would be good for the Knicks.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
10/5/2016  11:11 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:I'm loving Rose and Jennings getting into the paint. Not enjoying the rate at which they are finishing in the paint. Missed layups and floaters. Not drawing ccontact. Its early still.

It's our first game. Learning new offense, new coach. New players. It will take some time. They are getting good shots--just missing.

Some people just don't get it.

Finishing layups has very little to do with learning the offense, new coach or new players. It can get easier by spreading the floor. It might have just been a bad game. Or Nene's stifling defense. And I acknowledge that it is early specifically when I say "Its early still".

That said, for Rose in particular, I am paying attention to this issue because his stats showed this was an issue last season as well - going 1/13 on layups in March. Not finishing well in the paint. So, if a guy was having trouble converting layups last year it is relevant that he starts the pre-season still missing layups? Maybe. Maybe not. Worth noting.

For me, the question is 'why is he missing layups'? Is it just an off night? Is he just working out the kinks? Or is he shying away from contact and releasing the ball early from odd release point? Who knows. I don't know the answer. Not writing off the season. Just making an observation.

This is the Randle.
Malcolm
Member: #6131

10/5/2016  11:18 AM
It's time for . . . a Jackson/Rambis Triangle workshop (!)

Hell, it was time for it 3 weeks ago.

Last night, Knicks would run the Triangle for its first and
second levels . . . and then everyone was standing around
looking lost after that.

And I still don't see ANYTHING that suggests Rose will be a
Triangle PG . . . or that he is trying to become one.

dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
10/5/2016  11:32 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:I'm loving Rose and Jennings getting into the paint. Not enjoying the rate at which they are finishing in the paint. Missed layups and floaters. Not drawing ccontact. Its early still.

It's our first game. Learning new offense, new coach. New players. It will take some time. They are getting good shots--just missing.

Finishing layups has very little to do with learning the offense, new coach or new players. It can get easier by spreading the floor. It might have just been a bad game. Or Nene's stifling defense. And I acknowledge that it is early specifically when I say "Its early still".

That said, for Rose in particular, I am paying attention to this issue because his stats showed this was an issue last season as well - going 1/13 on layups in March. Not finishing well in the paint. So, if a guy was having trouble converting layups last year it is relevant that he starts the pre-season still missing layups? Maybe. Maybe not. Worth noting.

For me, the question is 'why is he missing layups'? Is it just an off night? Is he just working out the kinks? Or is he shying away from contact and releasing the ball early from odd release point? Who knows. I don't know the answer. Not writing off the season. Just making an observation.

the "layups" he is attempting are mostly borderline circus shots, where he's relying on his athleticism to convert them, but also risks getting injured yet again. and they end up being lower percentage shots, as you noted. the trouble is that he leaves his feet too soon and commits instead of maintaining another dribble or two, which could lead to a pocket pass to a cutting big man for the finish. crazymadups mentioned that once the big men get used to these shots, they'll be in position to rebound and convert them. i don't know about that. i'd rather see him make assists to them by making pocket passes, which requires him to maintain his dribble-- even making one more dribble would be dramatic. meantime, he is only shooting 50% at that distance-- does anybody see anything wrong with that? i sure do. he needs to convert 60% of those "layups" in order to justify taking them in the first place.

and then there's his atrocious defense. i have pointed out all summer how bad his defensive plus-minus is-- we got a sobering dose of that last night.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/5/2016  11:33 AM
Malcolm wrote:It's time for . . . a Jackson/Rambis Triangle workshop (!)

looking lost after that.

Why would the Knicks expect Rose to be a typical Triangle PG? That's not his game. Of all the PG's Phil had which of them were like Rose? This is going to be different in a lot of ways and Phil did this on purpose. Neither Rose nor Jennings are the typical Phil PG. They are closer to the kind of PG's Hornacek has had success with.

dk7th
USA
10/5/2016  11:34 AM

looking lost after that.

how many seconds does it take to run the "first and second levels"? six seconds? eight seconds?

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
dk7th
USA
10/5/2016  11:36 AM
nixluva wrote:

looking lost after that.

Why would the Knicks expect Rose to be a typical Triangle PG? That's not his game. Of all the PG's Phil had which of them were like Rose? This is going to be different in a lot of ways and Phil did this on purpose. Neither Rose nor Jennings are the typical Phil PG. They are closer to the kind of PG's Hornacek has had success with.

and this will be the source of the knicks' underachievement. you can't sit between two stools.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/5/2016  11:48 AM
EnySpree wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:My 2 cents...

1. We are going to miss RoLo. his defense, box out and wonderful picks will be missed. Hopefully, Noah can provide it.
2. Rose and Jennings are bad defensively. Courtney Lee is a very good perimeter defender. He will need to guard the better penetrating guard.
3. Melo looks tired. He just needs to get his second wind.
4. Willy has a high BBall IQ. He is a little slow footed. He reminds me a lot of Tiago Splitter.
5. We got a lot of open shots due to Rose and Jennings penetrating. Hopefully, those will fall soon.
6. Kuz is a player. He needs to be in the rotation.
7. Same with NDour.
8. Holiday looks unsure and rail thin. Was hoping he would show more.
9. OQuinn does not fit this team. He needs to be traded for some guard help.
10. Lance looks good.
11. The basketball gods has finally smile on us for KP.

My take on the rotation..

Starting 5...
Rose, Lee, Melo, KP, Noah

Rotation
Jennings, Kuz, NDour, Willy, Lance *** Lance and Kuz will need to play some SG.

The rest...
OQuinn, Plumlee, Baker, Holiday,Sasha

CUT..
Randle, Tokoto, Admunson

I agree with everything except I think Randle needs to stay with the team and we should cut and D league stash Baker.

same.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Malcolm

10/5/2016  12:01 PM
dk7th wrote:

looking lost after that.

how many seconds does it take to run the "first and second levels"? six seconds? eight seconds?

Depends on who's running it, of course.

I'll time it during the next game and let you know. It's easy:
just hit "stop" on the stopwatch . . . when all the players
without the ball stop moving purposefully.

But for a incontestable fact, it's invariably faster when Vujacic
is doing the running.

No reason everyone else can't get up to that speed . . . if
they want to put in the work to do it.

Malcolm

10/5/2016  12:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2016  12:13 PM
dk7th wrote:
nixluva wrote:

looking lost after that.

and this will be the source of the knicks' underachievement. you can't sit between two stools.
Doesn't have to be.

But Uncle Phil may need to step up here and get into Rose's head somehow . . .

nixluva
USA
10/5/2016  12:34 PM
dk7th wrote:
nixluva wrote:

looking lost after that.

Your logic is flawed IMO. Many teams have successfully merged Triangle and other offenses together!!! Just because it looks bad right now doesn't mean it won't eventually smooth out as Hornacek and the players get a better handle on how to balance things out.

Just so we're clear the first principle of Tex and Phil's Triangle is to push and look for early offense so there really aren't two stools per se. Just a tweak in the offense to add more tempo, space and PnR. This was always an option depending upon the makeup of the roster. With more speed at guard and some bigs that can move it makes sense to play a bit faster.

knicks1248
Member: #582
10/5/2016  12:35 PM
dk7th wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:

the "layups" he is attempting are mostly borderline circus shots, where he's relying on his athleticism to convert them, but also risks getting injured yet again. and they end up being lower percentage shots, as you noted. the trouble is that he leaves his feet too soon and commits instead of maintaining another dribble or two, which could lead to a pocket pass to a cutting big man for the finish. crazymadups mentioned that once the big men get used to these shots, they'll be in position to rebound and convert them. i don't know about that. i'd rather see him make assists to them by making pocket passes, which requires him to maintain his dribble-- even making one more dribble would be dramatic. meantime, he is only shooting 50% at that distance-- does anybody see anything wrong with that? i sure do. he needs to convert 60% of those "layups" in order to justify taking them in the first place.

and then there's his atrocious defense. i have pointed out all summer how bad his defensive plus-minus is-- we got a sobering dose of that last night.

well according to JH, they had no defensive plan to begin with, which to me sounds like BS, so im not going to entirely blame rose..

You cant defend a system that heavily revolves around ball movement and spacing with out a plan.

What I saw was players trying to recover back to defend a outlet pass for a 3 pointers just off of penetration. You go charging at the player who pump fakes you out of your shows, or certainly get you off balnce

Your going to be a horrible defensive team if your not communicating on defense, especially if it's constant PnR

ES
dk7th
USA
10/5/2016  12:38 PM
nixluva wrote:
dk7th wrote:
nixluva wrote:

looking lost after that.

Your logic is flawed IMO. Many teams have successfully merged Triangle and other offenses together!!! Just because it looks bad right now doesn't mean it won't eventually smooth out as Hornacek and the players get a better handle on how to balance things out.

Just so we're clear the first principle of Tex and Phil's Triangle is to push and look for early offense so there really aren't two stools per se. Just a tweak in the offense to add more tempo, space and PnR. This was always an option depending upon the makeup of the roster. With more speed at guard and some bigs that can move it makes sense to play a bit faster.

there's speed under control and then there's what we saw last night. i am not sure the two point guards are coachable with regard to this, and that's not even thinking about their defense, which you will admit was atrocious.

dk7th
USA
10/5/2016  12:41 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
dk7th wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:

well according to JH, they had no defensive plan to begin with, which to me sounds like BS, so im not going to entirely blame rose..

You cant defend a system that heavily revolves around ball movement and spacing with out a plan.

What I saw was players trying to recover back to defend a outlet pass for a 3 pointers just off of penetration. You go charging at the player who pump fakes you out of your shows, or certainly get you off balnce

Your going to be a horrible defensive team if your not communicating on defense, especially if it's constant PnR

yes there were no closeouts, but just as bad was the transition defense. rockets also got a lot of transition layups and putbacks.

nixluva
USA
10/5/2016  1:05 PM
dk7th wrote:
nixluva wrote:
dk7th wrote:
nixluva wrote:

looking lost after that.

there's speed under control and then there's what we saw last night. i am not sure the two point guards are coachable with regard to this, and that's not even thinking about their defense, which you will admit was atrocious.

Rose and Jennings have played winning ball before so I can't agree that they may not be able to find the proper balance. It seems to me that in time they should be able to find a better balance of tempo and deliberate offense. I can agree that defense is a major concern at the PG spot but then again it's still early and I'd like to see how things go when they are actually game planning for teams. I'm confident this team can and will play better D.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/5/2016  1:09 PM
nixluva wrote:
blkexec wrote:I worry about melo messing up chemistry, trying to keep his 20 pt average and star status.....i saw a few times when melo and others would not pass to the open man, trying to selfishlyput up stats..... as soon as all 5 players on the court plays like a team, we will start winning.

Chancey also said something critical. The triangle worked in the past because phil had a top defensive team. Our defense is at the bottom.....thats a bad combination for a team running a triangle offense. Just like Horny said play defense without a strategy.....i used to build my teams based on defense and told them dont worry about offense, but a provided defensive strategies.....my winning record is flawless....Defense wins championships.....we havent been a good defensive team since the 90s.....

Knicks had worse defenders on the perimeter last year and ended up 18th in defense. It's possible that this team could end up a good deal better once they lock in. I think Horny is just trying to ease the team into this. They have a lot to absorb and bring together with all the new players and maybe he is taking things in stages.

Houston has a bunch of new players?

RIP Crushalot😞
nixluva
USA
10/5/2016  1:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2016  1:40 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
blkexec wrote:I worry about melo messing up chemistry, trying to keep his 20 pt average and star status.....i saw a few times when melo and others would not pass to the open man, trying to selfishlyput up stats..... as soon as all 5 players on the court plays like a team, we will start winning.

Chancey also said something critical. The triangle worked in the past because phil had a top defensive team. Our defense is at the bottom.....thats a bad combination for a team running a triangle offense. Just like Horny said play defense without a strategy.....i used to build my teams based on defense and told them dont worry about offense, but a provided defensive strategies.....my winning record is flawless....Defense wins championships.....we havent been a good defensive team since the 90s.....

Knicks had worse defenders on the perimeter last year and ended up 18th in defense. It's possible that this team could end up a good deal better once they lock in. I think Horny is just trying to ease the team into this. They have a lot to absorb and bring together with all the new players and maybe he is taking things in stages.

Houston has a bunch of new players?

Yes but not the guy controlling the ball most of the time. Plus it's a much simpler offense when you have a ball dominant lead ball handler and put screen setters and shooters around him spotting up. We all know that is about as simple an offense as you can run. There's no comparison.

Preseason GameThread! Finally! Houston! Tuesday 8pm EST on ESPN!!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy