[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Preseason GameThread! Finally! Houston! Tuesday 8pm EST on ESPN!!!!
Author Thread
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

10/5/2016  2:04 AM
I'll wait until the 3rd game to make any serious judgement
AUTOADVERT
Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

10/5/2016  2:08 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:I'll wait until the 3rd game to make any serious judgement

Papabear Says

Me to. I do not post a lot now but I do like to read what others are saying.

Papabear
smackeddog
Member: #883
10/5/2016  2:20 AM

I wait until a month into the regular season before making a judgement, but we live in an age of instant gratification which is why some people were deciding after 8mins of the first preseason game!

Gudris
Member: #6213

10/5/2016  4:15 AM
If KP keeps this stats in regular season we will be in Play off 100% :)
ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

10/5/2016  6:43 AM

By the 3rd game of the preseason it will be too late! Lets trade everyone and fire the coach immediately.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/5/2016  8:56 AM
I didn't see the whole game. I DVRd it and was sleeping on the couch before halftime. Defense looked like a first preseason game. Mostly it was just very sloppy. That being said plenty of positives, starting with guys looking good physically. Rose hit 50% of his shots and looked great physically. KP was stroking it. Melo looked terrible and held the ball far too long far too often early in the game. Can we start with moving the ball first?

Willy looks great. He looks like a nice young big NBA player with a skill set that is going to earn him rotation minutes right away. Hard to see him NOT beating out KOQ in the rotation.

Other than that preseason slop. Stay healthy and figure things out.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/5/2016  8:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2016  9:03 AM
ESOMKnicks wrote:

By the 3rd game of the preseason it will be too late! Lets trade everyone and fire the coach immediately.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/5/2016  9:25 AM
smackeddog wrote:

I wait until a month into the regular season before making a judgement, but we live in an age of instant gratification which is why some people were deciding after 8mins of the first preseason game!

ah we have talent--well win games but I saw major flaws out there. Its so easy to say 1st game were not organized new players---so why did Houston look so good--same issues??? We had serious issues getting back--no different than last year. We couldve lost that game by 50 easily. We had no idea how to defend the 3 point line and our interior defense was dreadful. Were going to have to get big minutes from Noah but I dont see him being able to produce. After that wheres the D--not KOQ not Willy and kp seems to get placed on guys who can go around him. The guards could not stop dribble penetration Carmelo is simply aging(just normal part of life?) So much 1-1 play terrible team play. Not only is there personnel flaw but there is chemistry and team issues that wont be fixed soon. We need to find a big with some length who can help on unit 2(ah we couldve had Christian Wood atleast in the top 15 for 1mm). Also I GUARANTEE that we look back and say we shouldve purchased Seth Curry for 6th man rather than Jennings--watch that 1. Length athleticism inside and a floor spreading PG outside for 6th man. Wood couldve given us what Capella gives the Rockets off the bench. We do0nt have it.

RIP Crushalot😞
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/5/2016  9:29 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

ah we have talent--well win games but I saw major flaws out there. Its so easy to say 1st game were not organized new players---so why did Houston look so good--same issues??? We had serious issues getting back--no different than last year. We couldve lost that game by 50 easily. We had no idea how to defend the 3 point line and our interior defense was dreadful. Were going to have to get big minutes from Noah but I dont see him being able to produce. After that wheres the D--not KOQ not Willy and kp seems to get placed on guys who can go around him. The guards could not stop dribble penetration Carmelo is simply aging(just normal part of life?) So much 1-1 play terrible team play. Not only is there personnel flaw but there is chemistry and team issues that wont be fixed soon. We need to find a big with some length who can help on unit 2(ah we couldve had Christian Wood atleast in the top 15 for 1mm). Also I GUARANTEE that we look back and say we shouldve purchased Seth Curry for 6th man rather than Jennings--watch that 1. Length athleticism inside and a floor spreading PG outside for 6th man. Wood couldve given us what Capella gives the Rockets off the bench. We do0nt have it.

Man BRIGGS. Ship be sinking already?

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/5/2016  9:31 AM
looks rough but we are a ways away from the regular season, and these guys just stared playing together
DLeethal wrote: Lol Rick needs a safe space
BRIGGS
10/5/2016  9:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2016  9:51 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I try to be fair---KP had some good moments on offense--our guards got inside--but after that--especially on D--you can see we just dont have the personnel Do we have anyone other than Noah who can help deter a shot? The big problem is when you have BOTH a lack of perimeter D and interior D. It ws lay up dunk 3 lay up dunk alley oop 3. They were doing simple plays to get wide open 3's and we had no clue how to stop it. Thats how the NBA plays now

Luckily we play maybe the worst team in the NBA Saturday.

Yes at the end of the day it doesnt count we will certainly play better than that--but where is the interior D going to come from? Also Rose looks flat footed on D and hes the head of the defense.

RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/5/2016  10:02 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I try to be fair---KP had some good moments on offense--our guards got inside--but after that--especially on D--you can see we just dont have the personnel Do we have anyone other than Noah who can help deter a shot? The big problem is when you have BOTH a lack of perimeter D and interior D. It ws lay up dunk 3 lay up dunk alley oop 3. They were doing simple plays to get wide open 3's and we had no clue how to stop it. Thats how the NBA plays now

Luckily we play maybe the worst team in the NBA Saturday.

Yes at the end of the day it doesnt count we will certainly play better than that--but where is the interior D going to come from? Also Rose looks flat footed on D and hes the head of the defense.

you realize that next game, next week or two weeks from now they could look NOTHING like what you saw last night? I mean they only thing you can really take from the first preseason game is how guys look physically. I mean CP3 missed all his shots last night, is he done? LAC lost by 45 points. I mean if guys look out of shape etc yea... that's a concern. Last night was pure BB slop. Can we at least wait for a couple preseason games? Sheesh
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
10/5/2016  10:05 AM
crzymdups wrote:My main take away is that I don't think KOQ fits with this team. Or he's just not good. He looks lost and plays totally the wrong style for this team.

they weren't running the triangle much at all and i think he is better suited to it as a decent passing big man. he's not a very good defender-- too slow-footed.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
dk7th
USA
10/5/2016  10:08 AM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:Lebron and Melo are the same age basically. I don't think we anything serious to worry about Melo. He'll always be able to shoot. How about that KP tho??? If he can be aggressive and work off Rose n Jennings etc... that's gonna be fun to watch.

People age diffently. Lebron is a once in a generation athlete. And he's not dealing with knee scopes and shoulder surgeries the way Melo is. Also, isn't Lebron a year younger since he came directly out of high school and Melo played a year in the NCAAs?

They're basically the same age. Melo isn't reliant on being athletic so really what's to lose??? He'll be able to hit jumpers into his 50's. He's just one of those guys that I believe can hang around forever if he wants to. He's not going to be a high energy guy at this point IMO. He's headed towards Paul Pierce/David West/Joe Johnson territory.

Melo's FG% has been trending downwards for three straight years. He got blocked a lot more often last year than he ever had and got fewer free throws, too. Pierce's FG% trended upwards at Melo's age. I think it's somewhat of a fallacy to compare the two.

Also, it makes no sense to compare him to Lebron - they have almost nothing in common stylistically and are different ages and play wildly different games.

I'm rooting for Melo to have a good year, but statistically and by the eye test, Melo has been in decline for the past 2-3 years. He relies a lot more on his quickness and bully ball down low than you see to give him credit for. His free throw attempts have been trending downward for four years since the 54 win season in 2012-3.

he played 25 games last season that were just fantastic, and frankly pierce-like in terms of playmaking. the trouble last night other than rust is that the two point guards were all over the place. i get it. it's the first preseason game. they need to settle down and settle in. i think melo and oquinn and thomas and well i guess everyone else will get better when the point guard play gets more focussed.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
dk7th
USA
10/5/2016  10:10 AM
blkexec wrote:I worry about melo messing up chemistry, trying to keep his 20 pt average and star status.....i saw a few times when melo and others would not pass to the open man, trying to selfishlyput up stats..... as soon as all 5 players on the court plays like a team, we will start winning.

Chancey also said something critical. The triangle worked in the past because phil had a top defensive team. Our defense is at the bottom.....thats a bad combination for a team running a triangle offense. Just like Horny said play defense without a strategy.....i used to build my teams based on defense and told them dont worry about offense, but a provided defensive strategies.....my winning record is flawless....Defense wins championships.....we havent been a good defensive team since the 90s.....

good luck with that. rose is atrocious on defense.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/5/2016  10:13 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

He wants Christian Wood so bad.... bowchikawahwah

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/5/2016  10:19 AM

No Kudos to ?

Knicks missed a lot of good shots. That did not bother me. It happens.
Some teams just come out better early, and maybe that was the Rockets last nite.
At the same time, I'd expect any team with triangle aspirations to be awkward on offense.
Did I see a few good sets? yes. Did they result in good shots? Yeah, Did they fall, Not enough!
I was surprised we did not see more bench play until it was scrub time. Because of that I did not see much of what they can do.
Jennings looked like the guy we are happy we did not draft, Minda's will be a more poised bench player than Derrik Williams who again this year is really saying how happy he is on his new team.
"Villy" as Jeff Van Gundy told us, looked solid. Reminds me of a young Tiago Splitter, a guy that did not come here until he was in his mid twenties.
Godzingis showed off his new handle and nailed some nite shots. He is quicker with the ball!
Melo looked like a guy that has rested since the Olympics.
Rose looked like Rose. That is a good thing!!!
Holiday, N'dour, and Baker really didn't look great. Scrub time don't tell us much.
O'Quinn looked quicker, but not stronger.

my take away was Hornacek/Phil let them play fancy free and foot loose and they got wooped. I got that from a media story. Was it a mind phuch "Zen" lesson for them? Not sure.

I hope Rose shaves that beard before he goes to court.

No letter grades, no panic buttons, and no impressions other than GodZingus is the man!

BRIGGS
10/5/2016  10:21 AM
EnySpree wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

He wants Christian Wood so bad.... bowchikawahwah

I look back and just believed we needed a PG who can play the style of play the NBA plays now in Seth Curry--no need to start- Rose is fine as a starter--hell be fine-but he wouldve brought WAY more than B Jennings who will be inefficient in his role and the role is VITALLY important.. How desperately could we use a 6-11 lengthy PF/C on unit 2 to help out--we need that--we couldve used that even for 10-12 minutes and it ws there for almost nothing. We spent 5mm $ on that foreign player when we already have Lance Thomas? We couldve spent much less on the lengthy inside player????who can alos play in/out??? He could play with KP or Willy or KOQ that gives us length in there

RIP Crushalot😞
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/5/2016  10:28 AM
My 2 cents...

1. We are going to miss RoLo. his defense, box out and wonderful picks will be missed. Hopefully, Noah can provide it.
2. Rose and Jennings are bad defensively. Courtney Lee is a very good perimeter defender. He will need to guard the better penetrating guard.
3. Melo looks tired. He just needs to get his second wind.
4. Willy has a high BBall IQ. He is a little slow footed. He reminds me a lot of Tiago Splitter.
5. We got a lot of open shots due to Rose and Jennings penetrating. Hopefully, those will fall soon.
6. Kuz is a player. He needs to be in the rotation.
7. Same with NDour.
8. Holiday looks unsure and rail thin. Was hoping he would show more.
9. OQuinn does not fit this team. He needs to be traded for some guard help.
10. Lance looks good.
11. The basketball gods has finally smile on us for KP.

My take on the rotation..

Starting 5...
Rose, Lee, Melo, KP, Noah

Rotation
Jennings, Kuz, NDour, Willy, Lance *** Lance and Kuz will need to play some SG.

The rest...
OQuinn, Plumlee, Baker, Holiday,Sasha

CUT..
Randle, Tokoto, Admunson

dk7th
USA
10/5/2016  10:35 AM
my take on things is that hornacek wants the point guards to get acclimated and find a balance between pushing the ball and setting up "an" offense, but frankly the offense looked incoherent. hopefully hornacek permitted them to "just play" so that he would have some film to go over with the team. for instance, for a guy who says he wants to be more of a ball sharer and facilitator, rose took the most shots last night, including a couple of bad shots and several trick shots that he happened to make. his fans applaud these sorts of acrobatics but i'd like him to cut down on both, and work on maintaining his dribble. also, he leaves his feet to pass the ball every god damned time! that shyt has to stop. my overall impression of rose is that he had an afflalo-esque effect on the game. his defense was atrocious and his bad shots led to scores on the other end a lot, ie he was a momentum changer in a negative way.

next game, after extensive film sessions, i expect to see more coherence. last night was hard to watch.

Preseason GameThread! Finally! Houston! Tuesday 8pm EST on ESPN!!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy