[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Noah Anti-War disses West Point Cadets.....
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/3/2016  7:43 AM
Im sure most of you have read about this.
We giving him a pass here because he is a knick?
Was he insulting?
AUTOADVERT
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
10/3/2016  8:09 AM
I'm giving him a pass because he just had a baby daughter. I don't like the excuse. That said, I believe he said he misses his daughter and doesn't feel comfortable on the campus. Love the soldier not the war seems apropos, but I think this is just a new dad that wanted to see his daughter, not a guy looking to diss some cadets.
This is the Randle.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/3/2016  8:19 AM
He doesn't believe in patriotism. That's nice. He believes in being a citizen here and making 72 million US dollars though. Glad he still believes in legal tender.

He doesn't believe in kids killing kids. That's nice too. I'm sure to a man/woman, the cadets and the officer he dissed don't believe in killing kids either. They just happen to believe in defending the country he just happens to be living in and making a seriously lucrative living playing basketball.

Was anyone asking him to pledge and oath, sing the anthem or scream amen to the talk? Nope.

Another wealthy, entitled athlete who thinks any arena is the proper arena to garner attention for their own personal convictions. Why not attend the dinner and talk to the officer giving the talk and the cadets afterwards? Nope, better to create some much needed drama/attention over something that didn't really need to happen.

MSG trying to do damage control by posting pics of cadets talking with Noah on the court.

Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
10/3/2016  8:33 AM
For the record, here is exactly what he said.
“I have a lot of respect for the kids here fighting. But it’s hard for me to understand why we go to war and why kids have to kill kids all around the world. I have mixed feelings about being here. I’m very proud of this country. I love America. I don’t understand kids killing kids around the world.

I’m not a very patriotic person, to be honest,” Noah said. “I don’t understand the whole flags, supporting flags. I’m more into supporting people.”

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/3/2016  8:51 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:For the record, here is exactly what he said.
“I have a lot of respect for the kids here fighting. But it’s hard for me to understand why we go to war and why kids have to kill kids all around the world. I have mixed feelings about being here. I’m very proud of this country. I love America. I don’t understand kids killing kids around the world.

I’m not a very patriotic person, to be honest,” Noah said. “I don’t understand the whole flags, supporting flags. I’m more into supporting people.”

thanks Bonn... I was about to look for the direct quote. I thought it was well expressed and I find it hard to find fault. Berman just wrote a total hack piece on it, which is the way of the tabloid. No surprise there. He was 100% in his right to simply pass on the dinner. Also the dude just had a baby. I mean is there a more emotional and important time for a young man and his family? Sheesh. He's a dual citizen and does more here for Americans with his philanthropy work than most. Like he said he supports people. World needs more people like Noah.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
10/3/2016  8:55 AM
The "just make your money and shut up" stance is so lazy and borderline ignorant. Rich people are allowed to have opinions too. Noah didn't say he didn't like them or care about them. He said he felt uncomfortable.
Bonn1997
USA
10/3/2016  8:56 AM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:For the record, here is exactly what he said.

thanks Bonn... I was about to look for the direct quote. I thought it was well expressed and I find it hard to find fault. Berman just wrote a total hack piece on it, which is the way of the tabloid. No surprise there. He was 100% in his right to simply pass on the dinner. Also the dude just had a baby. I mean is there a more emotional and important time for a young man and his family? Sheesh. He's a dual citizen and does more here for Americans with his philanthropy work than most. Like he said he supports people. World needs more people like Noah.

Yeah, he still could have gone to the dinner since he said he supports the soldiers. But I don't have a problem with him skipping the dinner. He conscience says he doesn't want to have anything to do with supporting the wars we're in, and I definitely get that.
Welpee
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6239

10/3/2016  8:59 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/3/2016  9:55 AM
Nalod wrote:Im sure most of you have read about this.
Was he insulting?
You titled this thread "dissing West Point Cadets." I don't see how he dissed them. Seems his statements were very respectful while at the same time explaining his perspective. People are free to disagree with his thoughts, but I don't see how he dissed them. Our soldiers fought for people to have the right to have their own opinions, but then folks get upset when people exercise that right.

Non issue for me to be honest.

Bonn1997
USA
10/3/2016  9:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/3/2016  9:03 AM
jrodmc wrote:He doesn't believe in patriotism. That's nice. He believes in being a citizen here and making 72 million US dollars though. Glad he still believes in legal tender.

He doesn't believe in kids killing kids. That's nice too. I'm sure to a man/woman, the cadets and the officer he dissed don't believe in killing kids either. They just happen to believe in defending the country he just happens to be living in and making a seriously lucrative living playing basketball.

Was anyone asking him to pledge and oath, sing the anthem or scream amen to the talk? Nope.

Another wealthy, entitled athlete who thinks any arena is the proper arena to garner attention for their own personal convictions. Why not attend the dinner and talk to the officer giving the talk and the cadets afterwards? Nope, better to create some much needed drama/attention over something that didn't really need to happen.

MSG trying to do damage control by posting pics of cadets talking with Noah on the court.

It's an awkward position the Knicks put their players in. This dinner is not part of the players' contractual obligations. Arranging a dinner related to a politically charged issue (our international wars) is questionable. The team could have just made a charitable donation to support the troops.
Bonn1997
USA
10/3/2016  9:03 AM
Welpee wrote:
Was he insulting?
You titled this thread "dissing West Point Cadets." I don't see how he dissed them. Seems his statements were very respectful while at the same time explaining his perspective. People are free to disagree with his thoughts, but I don't see how he dissed them. Our soldiers fought for people to have the right to have their own opinions, but then folks get upset when people exercise that right.

That's a very good point
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
10/3/2016  9:32 AM
Welpee wrote:
Was he insulting?

Totally agree with this.

¿ △ ?
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/3/2016  9:45 AM
I think he is being as delicate as he can be. Whether or not the cadets realize it, he's looking out for their best interests. Personally, I want the US to have the best, most-prepared, and the absolutely most ready military that you can have--while also hoping they retire without having ever done a tour
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

10/3/2016  10:19 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/3/2016  10:55 AM
Berman is just furious because someone had the nerve to pass up a free meal. Berman loves his donuts and pastrami.

The time of STFU and do what everyone else does, is long gone. Good thing. He stated it was not a stance against the cadets but rather an uncomfortable position, due to his view on war. The nerve of him to have and voice an opinion. Specially one that favors peace, non violence and pro life. And as some posters appropriately mentioned, he just had a child! Something one would want to get home to. Not to mention, its a life altering event, that tends to get you to think about how precious life is.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
NardDogNation
Member: #5555

10/3/2016  10:31 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:He doesn't believe in patriotism. That's nice. He believes in being a citizen here and making 72 million US dollars though. Glad he still believes in legal tender.

It's an awkward position the Knicks put their players in. This dinner is not part of the players' contractual obligations. Arranging a dinner related to a politically charged issue (our international wars) is questionable. The team could have just made a charitable donation to support the troops.

I understand what Noah is getting at. I actually embrace his POV. I just think his method for objecting is flawed. Soldiers simply follow orders. They are not the disease, they are the symptom. He should be doing this to people who actually make the decisions to send men and women to kill and die abroad. And sadly, one of the most egregious figures in recent history of this rocks a "D" next to his name yet has a Noble Peace Prize.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/3/2016  10:34 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Was he insulting?

That's a very good point

"You have the right to free
Speech as long as you're not
Dumb enough to actually try it." - The Clash

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/3/2016  10:40 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

I understand what Noah is getting at. I actually embrace his POV. I just think his method for objecting is flawed. Soldiers simply follow orders. They are not the disease, they are the symptom. He should be doing this to people who actually make the decisions to send men and women to kill and die abroad. And sadly, one of the most egregious figures in recent history of this rocks a "D" next to his name yet has a Noble Peace Prize.

what's the doing this part? he quietly skipped a dinner function. he didn't make a thing about it, the NY Post did.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/3/2016  10:53 AM
Let me write this basic answer

If it wasn't for millions of American soldiers who died. As in gave their live in the cause of providing a country full of freedoms, there would be no J Noah's available yo be direspectful . But hey fck them they're dead and were here. So all of these young kids who give their lives to train and maybe their own life to protect Noah and his kids. Yeah let's get rid of the military and the flag. Let's listen to quiet riot in schools and fck we don't need the police either. We can self police ourselves

RIP Crushalot😞
DrAlphaeus
Alba Posts: 10
Member: #1781

10/3/2016  10:53 AM
He's a triple citizen: USA, France, and Sweden. And he does work against gun violence. I figure it warrants mention regarding where he's coming from.

Misleading thread title, it ain't even that serious. The news could have focused on the players who went to the dinner versus the one who didn't.

But then it's not very thread-worthy, is it?

Baba Booey 2016 — "It's Silly Season"
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/3/2016  11:00 AM
He did not make a statement until asked.
Papers making more out of it than he or the team.
He was honest.
His father is French, lives in france. His mother is from Sweden. Lives in NY.
He sees himself as a citizen of the human race.
West Point is a great gig, totally free fantastic education and good service opportunities.
Soldiers enlist sometimes to get paid, advance themselves and stay out of trouble. Not all are for the purity of being a patriot.
Nalod is ok with him not wanting to hear a rah rah speech.
If we don't like it, don't watch the games or support the athlete.
I don't agree with those who criticize because these guys make a lot of money.
If I protest, its not important because I am not a public persona. We create our "stars" and thus make them a relevant voice.
Last most important its free speech. Its the First amendment. Fans don't have to like it, but its their right too. But to say they should "not take the money" is foolish.
Don't agree, don't watch the games, don't buy the products they endorse, but don't tell he should leave. Social change is not comfortable, but its part of our history.
Social outrage and freedom of speech is what Makes America Great! Not nostalgic mental masturbation!
NardDogNation
Member: #5555

10/3/2016  11:00 AM
martin wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

what's the doing this part? he quietly skipped a dinner function. he didn't make a thing about it, the NY Post did.

Fair point. Never looked at it from this perspective. I thought he did it and volunteered an explanation for it.

Noah Anti-War disses West Point Cadets.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy