[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

WFAN - MAD DOG is Against Deal
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/6/2004  3:06 PM
for the sake of forum quality lets avoid the everlasting topic of how Islefan sucks and focus on the Knicks.

People that want to knock the players Isiah has brought in have some good reasons too. Despite getting younger and more talented the closest thing to a star we have on our 100mm roster is Marbury, and he's not a top 10 player. Top 20 yes, top 10 I dont think so. We have a star with baggage and a TON of long term deals.

I have my own reservations about EVERY player he has brought in, but I trust Isiah's eye for talent and his understanding of winning at the pro level.

Does it mean he will succeed? Not even close. Does it entitle him to a fair period of time to excecute a plan? In my opinion it does, thus my patience.

Most of the scenarios people throw out are worst case. What about a best case? What if Crawford is a star on the rise, Houston is healthy and Marbury can be a leader? What if Sweetney is the next Zach Randolph and Ariza is the next James Posey? What if the only thing stopping Vin from returning to his 20/10 days are a misdiagnosed heart?

Im not going to sit here an assume everythings going to come up rosey, it never does. But some things CAN fall in place.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
nyballer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #108
USA
8/6/2004  3:11 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by eViL:

Please Islesfan, I agree with Nalod, but to see you agreeing with him makes me wonder. I've never heard you even remotely be open to the possibility that anything Isiah has done might actually be positive. Nalod, however, has stayed pretty even keel - he seems to understand both sides of it and takes a wait and see approach. Fishmike is slightly more positive than neutral, but he's still reserved with his optimism. You, however, seem to always try to find a way to dog Isiah without ever entertaining the possibility that what he's done might turn out allright.

[Edited by - eViL on 08/06/2004 14:20:44]
That's a great post. Some people have a personality where they just like to always complain. Just get used to it.
how is that a great post? so islesfan doesnt agree with a lot of people on the board - it doesn't make him wrong, he is entitled to his opinion. and instead of arguing with any of his points evil just just said (over and over again) that islesfan is too pessimistic. you guys need to get off his back, he makes some good points. i don't agree with everything he says, for instance i think the team now is much better than it was before, but if the chemistry fails then we have more long-term deals that lock us in and we have much less flexbility. yeah, we are well over the cap, but if we let penny, nazr, tt, and houston expire in a few years we could get bakc under with a few smart moves. it's all a risk; i think it was worth it to get crawford, some people don't, and some people don't know yet. any one of us could be wrong - none of you have the right to be condescending and attack people because they disagree with you.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
8/6/2004  3:12 PM
Posted by islesfan:

What, I can't agree with Nalod?

Yes, you can and you did (and you know full well that no one can tell you who or what to agree with - so don't pull that sarcastic "Thanks, for letting me agree with him." crap - I've seen how you operate). I just wonder how you can and do agree with him. From reading both your posts and his I don't think you are both in line with each other's attitudes. The only thing you have in common is that you like to bring down overly optimistic Knicks fans. Now, in Nalod's case I think he does it because he can see both sides, process the info and then synthesize his understanding of both into a well-rounded opinion that is neither overly high nor overly low. Because of that, I think he wants people to curb their enthusiasm and embrace all sides before condemning the negative. You, however, I just think you hate Isiah or maybe you're just a generally negative dude. Either way, I feel silly to be discussing this because you roped me in again and now the discussion is based on you and not on the topic at hand (and maybe that's your goal anyway - attention. Who's to say? I can't know for sure.) Finally, I'd prefer if this didn't become a dialogue because it really is pointless (I wish I didn't say anything, but I've typed this much - I might as well post).

---

That said, I just wanted to share that I think it's healthy to embrace both sides of the spectrum. Only then can you really believe strongly about how you feel. Remember that it's just as bad to be blindly optimistic as it is to be obsessed with negativity. I fall on the positive side because that's how I would like things to turn out. The whole time though, I realize that there's more than one possible outcome to all of this.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
8/6/2004  3:14 PM
It all has to do with chemestry. Again, there is no reason for me to believe that this team won't mesh and create the right chemestry to win. True, Steph is not a top ten player but neither is Chauncey Billups. Niether are any of the Pistons for that matter. Steph is at least arguably the best point guard in the league. When healthy, Houston is the best shooter in the league or at least top 3. But like I said, it all comes back to on court chemestry and the players sharing a common goal with everyone play his role. Period.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/6/2004  3:27 PM
Baller, when you realize Islesfan has the same point no matter what the scenario or player it loses its objectivity.

Anyway there always risks when you build a team this way, but this notion of a total loss of flexbility is a little silly. Chad Ford (mr. NY pessimist himself) said even if this doesnt work Isiah still has some flexibility with Penny, TT and Naz ($31mm) enter their walk years next season.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/6/2004  3:28 PM
Those guys are right,maybe it would have been better if layden was still here.Bet I know what he would have done,he would have made the exact same trade for...Gary Payton.How many young guards with a great deal of potential do they believe are out there that another team would be willing to part with?They traded Crawford because they never make the playoffs and have an endless supply of top draft picks to choose from.

I hate exploding the cap as much as anyone else but cmon!Isiah is adding quality players and getting rid of alot of deadweight,we have some expiring contracts coming up that will alow us to upgrade even more,why the hating?

Disagreeing with IT doesnt make them idiots but I dont think they appreciate how far this team has come in such a short time..
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
8/6/2004  3:29 PM
Anyway there always risks when you build a team this way, but this notion of a total loss of flexbility is a little silly. Chad Ford (mr. NY pessimist himself) said even if this doesnt work Isiah still has some flexibility with Penny, TT and Naz ($31mm) enter their walk years next season.
that's true, and like i said i like what isiah is doing with the team so far. we did lose some flexibility by adding another long term deal, but since crawford is young and will take over for one of our remaining odler players in houston, i think it was worth the risk. it's good that we at least get a lot of salary off around the same time
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/6/2004  3:29 PM
We're probably trading Nazr to G-State. But we will still have some flexibility.

I agree that if the trades don't work out, we're screwed for several years to come. That's the risk of building through free agency.
¿ △ ?
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/6/2004  3:38 PM
I thought PPD stood for Pollyannish Personality Disorder. Something that a great many on these Knicks boards are afflicted with. Some more than others.

You guys realize that eVil's post works both ways, right? It also doesn't apply to me as much as you think. I had no problem with the Knicks using the MLE to sign Dampier. I even agreeg wholeheartedly with Fish when he brought up the fact that signing him for 2 years makes the most sense.

eVil, if I have any agenda, it's that I'm tired of seeing how most people on these boards refuse to look at the negative side of any Knicks move and become almost belligerent towards anybody who does.

BTW, I'm not the one looking to make these discussions about me. I have no use for that either.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/6/2004  3:43 PM
Posted by TheloniusMonk:

It all has to do with chemestry. Again, there is no reason for me to believe that this team won't mesh and create the right chemestry to win. True, Steph is not a top ten player but neither is Chauncey Billups. Niether are any of the Pistons for that matter. Steph is at least arguably the best point guard in the league. When healthy, Houston is the best shooter in the league or at least top 3. But like I said, it all comes back to on court chemestry and the players sharing a common goal with everyone play his role. Period.

And Crawford is supposed to all of a sudden become a positive influence when it comes to team chemistry, on and off the court? Even though he shot as much as he possibly could in Chicago he still complained about his role in the offense (i.e. having to play within a system) and about playing time. He's going to be cool now with coming off the bench and probably getting fewer shots and minutes on a team full of shooters?

[Edited by - islesfan on 08/06/2004 15:45:50]
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/6/2004  3:56 PM
isles,

Some players have problems being the 'alpha-dog' or best player on a team. The Bulls as they were built last year needed Jamal to be their leader. On the Knicks, he can fall in line behind Stephon and learn from Stephon. Steph and Isiah seem like perfect mentors to Jamal, that's why we're all so happy. Could it backfire? Of course. But this is a young, exciting, explosive combo guard who, for my money is almost as good as Arenas (not there yet, obviously).

Look at the difference between Rasheed Wallace on the Blazers and Rasheed on the Pistons. Night and day. Sometimes a players attitude problem is more about WHERE he is than WHO he is. I think Jamal will thrive in the right environment and Isiah seems well suited to making a positive environment. As you say, everyone is drinking the Kool-Aid. I think the interesting thing is, most players on the free agent or trade market this summer are drinking the Kool-Aid too. The Knicks team environment is now a positive place and that's the ideal place to bring a developing young player like Crawford.
¿ △ ?
bernard
Member: #475
8/6/2004  4:58 PM
IMO, IT has put together a nice group of players and worked his one asset (cash) to its best advantage to dramatically improve Knicks' talent level. And while he's taken on a couple of awful contracts (Penny, Mooch), he's also got a bunch of young, talented guys who probably make just about what they should (TT, Naz, Craw, Marbury). And he got rid a lot of players who I thought were going to be pissing me off when watching games for years to come (Eisly, KVH, Spoon). I think we can judge him now for the trades. Cop out to wait and see how they pan out. You have to judge them on the information IT had at the time of the trade, not w/ 20-20 hindsight. IMO, they were very good to excellent trades.

Now comes the hard part. Getting the guys to play hard, play D and play together. That's where my one doubt about IT comes in. Not convinced Lenny's the guy to do it. We all saw when Italy kicked the US team that talent alone doesn't get a team very far. We need someone to lead this team, and Lenny, tho I have tons of respect for what he's done in his career, just seems too tired and passive.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/6/2004  5:28 PM
whoever busts on this trade is just being obtuse. i feel like im a realist fan, and i will give a negative spin when i feel it's just. Getting Crawford for the price we paid at his age is a fine deal. Does it guarantee many more wins? of couse not? does the team have another talented young athletic piece in the backcourt for what represents close to his market value. yes --what were we getting out of the players we gave up nothing much although its to bad we couldnt elevate FWs value more because he does have game--but its partly his fault to for spotty play. there is nothing bad here folks--yeah we need a C but we werent getting it with this pile of dung. knick fans should be thankful on this trade--we didnt over pay we traded old for young and we got the best player in the deal. A C is a whole different avenue--take this for what it is, a solid deal for a good young player. We dont have shaq's and kobe but if you add up enoguh jamal crawfords and mike sweetneys--hopefully ariza et al then you are talking.
RIP Crushalot😞
toodarkmark
Member: #515
USA
8/6/2004  5:39 PM
The concept of rebuilding is so subjective. Sure we could be like Denver, who did not make the playoffs for 10 years. Or the Bulls who have been rebuilding for how long now? Or maybe we should blow it all up and reload like the Clippers. Look how well they've done.

Also someone mentioned the Pacers. When exactly did they rebuild? They had a great team and traded older players for younger players. If rebuilding were as easy as "Let's just sit pat and wait for the contracts to expire," wouldn't every team just do it?

Anyone critical of these trades (and they have every right to be) should just think back to this time last year. As the excitement of Philadelphia fans of getting rid of Van Horn and the Minnesota fans as we sat back and groaned. We were hoping Vujanic would sign so we could possibley even have a starting point guard (since we had 3 backups.) I'll take Jamal Crawford and Jerome Williams over Keith Van Horn and Dikembe Mutombo anyday.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/6/2004  10:32 PM
No offense to anyone, but giving a **** about what Russo says is crazy.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/6/2004  11:14 PM
I'm with BRIGGS 100% for once.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/6/2004  11:51 PM
Posted by simrud:

I'm with BRIGGS 100% for once.
Ditto!
rojasmas
Member: #639
8/6/2004  11:52 PM
I believe the Knicks made a good trade insomuch as they acquired a young talented player, and Houston can no longer be counted on. But really, Houston or Crawford is not the answer alongside Marbury. Both of them are terrible defensively as is Marbury. It's hard to win when no one in your backcourt plays defense.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/6/2004  11:55 PM
Actually Marbury's a slightly above average defender; he's quick and strong and he has success guarding people much taller than he is. Crawford's only slightly below average and has the ability to improve. They're a lightening quick backcourt that could be a nightmare to try to contain.
WFAN - MAD DOG is Against Deal

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy