Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
9/27/2016  8:49 PM
By Tommy Beer
on September 27, 2016

There wasn’t much for New York Knicks fans to get overly excited about last season, as the team once again failed to qualify for the postseason and limped to a 32-50 record.

However, the emergence of rookie sensation Kristaps Porzingis did reinvigorate the fan base and provide a much-needed beacon of hope. He is the reason many Knicks fans came back into the fold last year and are now genuinely excited about the future.

Entering year two, New Yorkers are curious to see how their young cornerstone will evolve. At the Knicks’ Media Day on Monday, Porzingis hinted about improvements to his game that he spent time refining this summer.

“My ball-handling is better now,” Porzingis said. “I just feel comfortable with the ball now, so you’re going to see some new stuff this season. You’re going to see some new stuff, and hopefully more put-back dunks.”

Porzingis also talked about how he adjusted his weight-room preparation after an arduous rookie campaign.

“Last offseason, we made a little mistake that all I did was work upper body and try to get bigger. This offseason, I really focused on my lower strength, my legs, my core, [to] make sure that it’s strong,” Porzingis said. “And that’s going to give me strength to be able to hold my ground defensively and offensively as well. My legs have gotten much stronger. When I’m driving, I’m able to stay lower. Defensively, I can be lower and quick on my feet.”

When the Knicks’ training camp kicked off on Tuesday, the early returns were promising. Those who weren’t part of the team last season and were getting their first up-close glimpse of Porzingis were particularly impressed.

Derrick Rose, who won the MVP award at the ripe age of 22, liked what he saw from his new teammate and gushed about the group’s collective potential.

“We’re very talented. The sky’s the limit for us,” Rose said. “We’re coming together as a group. Everybody’s competing from day one and that’s what you want from players, to see them competing from day one and coming together as a team and pushing themselves and each other.”

When asked specifically about how he envisions playing with Porzingis, Rose explained that he planned to push the pace offensively and expected his young, tall teammate right by his side.

“I want to make him run!” Rose said with a smile. “What is he 18 [years old]? He’s young!”

“I’m always going to find a way to get him the ball,” Rose added. “I’m not selfish at all. One of the reasons I love the position that I’m in is that it allows me to be the point guard, which I am. With the Bulls, I had to learn how to score the ball in crazy ways because I had to adapt to the league. But coming here, I have so many options. KP can pop, he can post, he can pass. He’s skilled and very talented. We can play with him in many ways.”

Rose also discussed how opposing defenses will have fits attempting to deal with a trip of Carmelo Anthony, Porzingis and Rose.

“Then you think about ‘Melo on the other side of the court, where we can run pick-and-roll. One-three pick and roll or three-one pick and roll. Give it to him in the post…” Rose said. “There so many options just with those two players. It’s kind of scary when we get everything clicking. But it takes hard work and dedication, coming in here everyday and making sure we are working our butts off.”

Rose acknowledged that this is still Anthony’s team and he’s just trying his best to contribute at a high level.

“My job is to make [Anthony’s] job easy,” Rose said. “I’m not coming in with an ego problem. I’m not coming in chasing no stats or anything like that. I don’t care about no stats. I don’t look at them after games. As long as we win, I can sleep easy at night. That’s the only thing I am worried about.”

New Knicks head coach Jeff Hornacek also walked away with a strong first impression of Porzingis after the team’s initial practice.

“We want all our guys to be versatile; KP has the ability to go inside [and] if we can just get him the ball somewhere in that paint, with his length, he can just turn around and shoot it,” Hornacek said. “Depending on the match-up, if he’s setting a screen and he pops, he is shooting the ball extremely well. That’s a weapon.”

In the short portion of practice that was open to the media on Tuesday, Porzingis beat guards Courtney Lee, Rose and Sasha Vujacic in a three-point shooting drill/contest. At one point, Porzingis knocked down seven-of-eight attempts from behind the arc.

Hornacek knows that Porzingis’ adaptable skill set causes major headaches for coaches on the opposite bench.

“I think it’s going to make teams trying to make a scouting report against him say, ‘What do we do? Do we put a small guy on him? Do we put a big guy on him?’ That’s why it’s fun to have players with that versatility,” Hornacek said. “Go ahead, put a small guy on him and we’ll take advantage of him inside. And if you put a big guy on him, he’ll take them outside. KP’s got all that.”

On Monday, Porzingis talked about how he was looking forward to playing some center (as our Jesse Blancarte suggested over the weekend) and also pushing the pace with his new point guard.

“My ability to stretch the floor, if I’m at the five, the paint is going to be completely open,” Porzingis said. “So I think the style of basketball that we’re going to be playing is going to be better for the people that we have, especially with Derrick being able to push the ball up. With his quickness, he’s going to open things for us, driving and kicking out. I know we’re going to have space in the paint, as well; we didn’t have so much last season.”

Although expectations will be raised for Porzingis after his stellar rookie season, it seems his new point guard and head coach seem intent on putting him in positions to succeed.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-porzingis-impresses-newest-knicks/
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/27/2016  9:06 PM
Those Rose quotes are awesome.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
9/27/2016  9:10 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Those Rose quotes are awesome.

Yeah i'm pumped for this season and to see if KP can excel with so much talent around him, working to help him succeed. You can tell that his teammates love him and want KP to get to the next level.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/28/2016  12:22 AM
Rose telling us what we want to hear!

Better than talking about "His" money.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/28/2016  8:26 AM
Nalod wrote:Rose telling us what we want to hear!

Thats for sure. Even if Rose plays like he did in his early days, still wouldnt want him back for the max. If he really wants a ring, sell Rose on giving up some money to add more talent. Or offer max dollars or max years, one or the other. Its KP's team now.

nixluva
USA
9/28/2016  10:27 AM
GustavBahler wrote:

Thats for sure. Even if Rose plays like he did in his early days, still wouldnt want him back for the max. If he really wants a ring, sell Rose on giving up some money to add more talent. Or offer max dollars or max years, one or the other. Its KP's team now.

I wouldn't worry about the money. IMO that's not going to be a limiting factor for whether this team can become a contender. The most important thing is for Rose to play well enough and the team to win games and after that they can worry about his next contract.

The key for me is if Rose really does have a great rapport with KP. For those who doubt him just remember that Rose passed to Gasol the most.

Derrick Rose Passes Made 2015-16
Field Goals 2 Point Field Goals 3 Point Field Goals
Pass To FREQUENCY PASS AST FGM FGA FG% 2FGM 2FGA 2FG% 3FGM 3FGA 3FG%
Gasol, Pau 28.2% 15.5 1.5 1.8 3.8 48.2 1.8 3.6 49.2 0.1 0.2 27.3
Butler, Jimmy 25.8% 14.2 0.6 1.4 3.4 42.3 1.2 2.6 46.8 0.2 0.8 27.8
Mirotic, Nikola 8.6% 4.7 0.4 0.5 1.2 40.5 0.2 0.5 40.0 0.3 0.7 40.8

Derrick Rose Passes Made 2014-15
Field Goals 2 Point Field Goals 3 Point Field Goals
Pass To Team FREQUENCY PASS AST FGM FGA FG% 2FGM 2FGA 2FG% 3FGM 3FGA 3FG%
Gasol, Pau 28.3% 15.2 1.7 2.3 5.0 46.5 2.3 4.9 46.4 0.1 0.1 50.0
Butler, Jimmy 21.3% 11.4 1.2 1.4 2.9 48.3 1.0 2.1 48.1 0.4 0.8 48.7
Noah, Joakim 14.3% 7.7 0.3 0.4 1.0 38.8 0.4 1.0 38.8 0.0 0.0 -
Dunleavy, Mike 11.9% 6.4 0.5 0.6 1.3 44.6 0.3 0.6 48.4 0.3 0.7 41.2

GustavBahler

9/28/2016  10:44 AM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the money. IMO that's not going to be a limiting factor for whether this team can become a contender. The most important thing is for Rose to play well enough and the team to win games and after that they can worry about his next contract.

The key for me is if Rose really does have a great rapport with KP. For those who doubt him just remember that Rose passed to Gasol the most.

I wish I could bottle and sell your optimism, lol. A max player who cant play, who is eating up the cap when his salary could be used to sign at least one starting caliber player, will always be a limiting factor. Always. I dont remember anyone saying that Eddy Curry's albatross of a contract wasn't a limiting factor. If Rose cant be traded because he's damaged goods, he is in effect creating dead cap space which puts this team at a competitive disadvantage. If Rose is going to be around for a while, I want the Knicks to hedge their bets.

nixluva
USA
9/28/2016  10:51 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I wish I could bottle and sell your optimism, lol. A max player who cant play, who is eating up the cap when his salary could be used to sign at least one starting caliber player, will always be a limiting factor. Always. I dont remember anyone saying that Eddy Curry's albatross of a contract wasn't a limiting factor. If Rose cant be traded because he's damaged goods, he is in effect creating dead cap space which puts this team at a competitive disadvantage. If Rose is going to be around for a while, I want the Knicks to hedge their bets.

This is the case for ANY player that gets injured or who's game falls off and can no longer perform but if we resign Rose it will be because he actually played well and stayed relatively healthy. The only circumstance where Rose gets a good new contract is if he plays well and we win. There will always be a fear but people wanted Conley and CP3 and both of them have had health issues too. It's always a risk but after this season we'll have a better picture of Rose's value.

I think Rose will play less recklessly at this age and on this roster. He doesn't have to push the envelope on this roster. Just play his role and setup his teammates and when he senses it's needed he can push the pedal for a stretch. That could prolong his career.

GustavBahler

9/28/2016  10:56 AM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

This is the case for ANY player that gets injured or who's game falls off and can no longer perform but if we resign Rose it will be because he actually played well and stayed relatively healthy. The only circumstance where Rose gets a good new contract is if he plays well and we win. There will always be a fear but people wanted Conley and CP3 and both of them have had health issues too. It's always a risk but after this season we'll have a better picture of Rose's value.

I think Rose will play less recklessly at this age and on this roster. He doesn't have to push the envelope on this roster. Just play his role and setup his teammates and when he senses it's needed he can push the pedal for a stretch. That could prolong his career.

C'mon now Nix, we aren't talking about just any player. Rose might have missed more games than any other player in the last 4 years. Yes Rose, was healthy to finish last season, but its going to take a lot more than that to make me want to consider bringing him back. Definitely not for the max.

nixluva
USA
9/28/2016  11:12 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

C'mon now Nix, we aren't talking about just any player. Rose might have missed more games than any other player in the last 4 years. Yes Rose, was healthy to finish last season, but its going to take a lot more than that to make me want to consider bringing him back. Definitely not for the max.

the thing is that people are looking at the games missed but that's a given when you have an ACL like Kidd and Shump had. He then had 2 Meniscus Tears in the same knee that he had repaired, but he actually came back after the 2nd surgery in that same season and played in 12 playoff games averaging 37.8 mpg. If he wasn't healthy there's no way he could've done that.

Season TEAM AGE GP GS MIN PTS FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P% FTM FTA FT% OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TOV PF
2014-15 CHI 26 12 12 37.8 20.3 7.8 19.6 39.6 1.9 5.5 34.8 2.9 3.3 89.7 1.1 3.8 4.8 6.5 1.2 0.5 3.2 1.8

Roser would've been available for the playoffs last year had they qualified. If he plays well and makes the playoffs with this team that would go a long way towards showing he's capable. I hope and pray that he remains healthy and helps gets this team to the playoffs. That Rose helps KP and Melo to excel as well.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/28/2016  12:08 PM
What type of season would Rose have to have on this team to actually rate max money? One season of returning to MVP Rose? He's not even that player anymore, and I don't think Horny is putting him in the situation to even have that type of season...
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/28/2016  12:34 PM
jrodmc wrote:What type of season would Rose have to have on this team to actually rate max money? One season of returning to MVP Rose? He's not even that player anymore, and I don't think Horny is putting him in the situation to even have that type of season...
answer your own question... Mike Conley got the max. If Rose plays 75 games and is the starting PG on a 50 win team and he plays very well do you let him walk because you are worried he might get hurt again? The NBA is about acquiring talent first. One thing I think is plausible is to give Rose a shorter deal. A 2 year $55mm contract puts him in a big position to cash in before he hits 30, and means he is off the books (potentially) before we extend KP allowing us to build around that player.

Bottom line is we don't know Rose's value, or what his value to this team is. Maybe he's got modest stats but is a high impact player for the Knicks. Who knows... how can we talk about contract now? The goal should be that Rose is a Knick for many many years, but the things that will solidify that have yet to happen. What were Rose's injury woes last year aside from the broken eye socket?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
USA
9/28/2016  4:22 PM
fishmike wrote:
jrodmc wrote:What type of season would Rose have to have on this team to actually rate max money? One season of returning to MVP Rose? He's not even that player anymore, and I don't think Horny is putting him in the situation to even have that type of season...
answer your own question... Mike Conley got the max. If Rose plays 75 games and is the starting PG on a 50 win team and he plays very well do you let him walk because you are worried he might get hurt again? The NBA is about acquiring talent first. One thing I think is plausible is to give Rose a shorter deal. A 2 year $55mm contract puts him in a big position to cash in before he hits 30, and means he is off the books (potentially) before we extend KP allowing us to build around that player.

Bottom line is we don't know Rose's value, or what his value to this team is. Maybe he's got modest stats but is a high impact player for the Knicks. Who knows... how can we talk about contract now? The goal should be that Rose is a Knick for many many years, but the things that will solidify that have yet to happen. What were Rose's injury woes last year aside from the broken eye socket?

At the end of the year I think Rose strained an elbow but nothing serious. Rose is going to be able to just pick his spots. This situation is so different from his Chicago teams. We have a lot of capable guys including BJ who will be able to get it done and not have to stress Rose. I agree that the last thing i'm worrying about is Rose's next contract. Heck we've finally got a team and what could be a very exciting season. Who knows what KP is gonna do this year! That's the stuff to talk about right there.

GustavBahler

9/29/2016  11:21 AM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

the thing is that people are looking at the games missed but that's a given when you have an ACL like Kidd and Shump had. He then had 2 Meniscus Tears in the same knee that he had repaired, but he actually came back after the 2nd surgery in that same season and played in 12 playoff games averaging 37.8 mpg. If he wasn't healthy there's no way he could've done that.

Season TEAM AGE GP GS MIN PTS FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P% FTM FTA FT% OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TOV PF
2014-15 CHI 26 12 12 37.8 20.3 7.8 19.6 39.6 1.9 5.5 34.8 2.9 3.3 89.7 1.1 3.8 4.8 6.5 1.2 0.5 3.2 1.8

Roser would've been available for the playoffs last year had they qualified. If he plays well and makes the playoffs with this team that would go a long way towards showing he's capable. I hope and pray that he remains healthy and helps gets this team to the playoffs. That Rose helps KP and Melo to excel as well.

Virginia ham is Virginia ham. Missed games are still missed games, no matter how you slice it. Its not something that should be dismissed so easily.

nixluva
USA
9/29/2016  11:39 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Virginia ham is Virginia ham. Missed games are still missed games, no matter how you slice it. Its not something that should be dismissed so easily.

It's not about dismissing anything. Just about keeping some perspective. The number of games missed doesn't tell you that Rose is somehow destined to always be injured. It's entirely possible for him to have a stretch where he remains relatively healthy.

Grant Hill

Season Age Tm Lg Pos G GS MP
1994-95 22 DET NBA SF 70 69 38.3
1995-96 23 DET NBA SF 80 80 40.8
1996-97 24 DET NBA SF 80 80 39.3
1997-98 25 DET NBA SF 81 81 40.7
1998-99 26 DET NBA SF 50 50 37.0
1999-00 27 DET NBA SF 74 74 37.5
2000-01 28 ORL NBA SF 4 4 33.3
2001-02 29 ORL NBA SF 14 14 36.6
2002-03 30 ORL NBA SF 29 29 29.1
2003-04 31 Did Not Play (injury—ankle)
2004-05 32 ORL NBA SF 67 67 34.9
2005-06 33 ORL NBA SF 21 17 29.2
2006-07 34 ORL NBA SG 65 64 30.9
2007-08 35 PHO NBA SF 70 68 31.7
2008-09 36 PHO NBA SF 82 68 29.8
2009-10 37 PHO NBA SF 81 81 30.0
2010-11 38 PHO NBA SF 80 80 30.1

Rose has been steadily increasing his games played since his injuries started. What we hope is for him to continue in that direction. The way he plays on this roster could help him since he doesn't have to go crazy but rather just help run the team and make the game easier for his teammates. It's a different role.

GustavBahler

9/29/2016  12:07 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

It's not about dismissing anything. Just about keeping some perspective. The number of games missed doesn't tell you that Rose is somehow destined to always be injured. It's entirely possible for him to have a stretch where he remains relatively healthy.

Rose has been steadily increasing his games played since his injuries started. What we hope is for him to continue in that direction. The way he plays on this roster could help him since he doesn't have to go crazy but rather just help run the team and make the game easier for his teammates. It's a different role.

I have yet to read anything that suggests that you have given Rose's injury history any weight at all in determining wether or not he should get a max contract. If Rose had been healthy for the better part of the last four years, missing games due to knee problems this season might raise some red flags, but probably wouldnt stop a GM from maxing out someone of Rose's caliber (at his age) if he was playing well.

You change it to Rose missing a ton of games in the last 4 years, and that changes everything.

nixluva
USA
9/29/2016  2:04 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I have yet to read anything that suggests that you have given Rose's injury history any weight at all in determining wether or not he should get a max contract. If Rose had been healthy for the better part of the last four years, missing games due to knee problems this season might raise some red flags, but probably wouldnt stop a GM from maxing out someone of Rose's caliber (at his age) if he was playing well.

You change it to Rose missing a ton of games in the last 4 years, and that changes everything.

The Knicks know more about Rose's Knees than any of us do. They will no doubt take that into consideration with any contract they offer him. We have a complete season to watch and see how everything plays out. Hopefully we're talking about a deep playoff run.

Article: NBA PM: Porzingis Impresses Newest Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy