Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
9/23/2016  5:29 PM
BY STEVE POPPER
STAFF WRITER | THE RECORD

GREENBURGH, N.Y. - Phil Jackson has learned to temper expectation after predicting a playoff berth for the Knicks in his first full season as team president.

That season ended with 17 wins, the worst in franchise history, the sort of season that puts a cautious tone in your voice.

But when he was asked Friday what would constitute success this season, Jackson answered quickly.

“Championship,” he said.

Jackson paused for a moment, letting it sink in, before putting in the disclaimer that, “You know, those are everybody’s goals. I think all 30 teams would like to have a championship. That’s usually what the measure is. There’s only one standing at the end. Everything else behind that is how do we improve or how can we improve more. That’s basically it. That’s not our expectation. We’re not saying we’re going to do that, but that would be a successful season.”

Even with the definitions and disclaimers, the hopes are clearly higher for this Knicks team after another round of roster reconstruction. Jackson brought in 12 new faces for the start of training camp Tuesday, including three new starters, trading for former MVP Derrick Rose and then signing free agents Joakim Noah and Courtney Lee, as well as sixth man Brandon Jennings.

There is more talent than the 17-win team or the 32-win team that missed the playoffs again last season, resulting in the firing of coach Derek Fisher and interim coach Kurt Rambis.

“There’s an excitement about it,” Jackson said. “There’s combinations of people we’ve been allowed to - or had the opportunity to either draft, make trades for or use in free agency. I think those are the three ways you have to build a team. Without a draft situation this year we (brought in 2015 second-round pick from Spain) Willy Hernangomez.

“(It was) a combination of his relationship with Kristaps Porzingis, it’s a nice combination and feel on our team. Guys have played together in their past, in their youth. They’re both young players, developing players, but that brings a certain sense or bond together. The fact that Joakim Noah and Derrick Rose have played together for a number of seasons, Joakim was a targeted person for me in this free agency, because of his ability to play big and play defense, and be a strong verbal leadership defensively. The fact that we were able to make the trade for Derrick, the combination of the two of them together’s been very successful. Those are things that speed up ability to bond as a team, to play together as a team, to have a comfort level.”

There are still questions looming over the franchise, from the injury histories of Rose, Noah and Jennings to the civil trial for sexual assault that Rose is facing - scheduled to begin Oct. 4, the same day as the first preseason game.

“I think we’re just going to let the process work itself out,” Jackson said. “We’re not concerned with it. We understand this is a serious subject we’re talking about. But this has to be done outside of our control. It’s something we can’t control. Derrick has expressed that he’s not concerned with it. I mean, he’s quite aware of it. It’s not keeping him up at night. So we’re going with that, okay?”

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/phil-jackson-success-for-knicks-would-be-championship-1.1665911
AUTOADVERT
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

9/23/2016  11:47 PM
It would keep most people "up at night". Serious shyte.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/23/2016  11:51 PM
Moonangie wrote:It would keep most people "up at night". Serious shyte.
agreed.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/26/2016  9:59 AM
"Most people" aren't normally getting sued for $21 million while spending their days working out most of every single day, running off screens set by 7 foot unicorns and doing international promotional events.

Let me ask a purely hypothetical question.

Make DRose a benchwarmer on an NBDL team. Does this lawsuit even happen? Doesn't negate a possibly terrible act, but are you reading about it, or even commenting about whether or not DRose is staying up at night worrying about it?

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/26/2016  1:50 PM
not if you didn't do it, and had no concerns that it was nothing more than a money grab with no chance of success. If that was the case most people would sleep on it fine.

I don't have any insider info, but if that is the case it would explain Rose's easy demeanor on the topic.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/26/2016  1:54 PM
Anyway....

A championship is the only success. The struggle well be beautiful

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
mreinman
Member: #3189

9/26/2016  2:17 PM
fishmike wrote:
not if you didn't do it, and had no concerns that it was nothing more than a money grab with no chance of success. If that was the case most people would sleep on it fine.

I don't have any insider info, but if that is the case it would explain Rose's easy demeanor on the topic.

Having this looming would make him worry either way.

Also, Rose has a big problem ... He did do IT with his boys while she was certainly very drunk (minimally). Something that she certainly expressed quite often that she DID NOT want to do. Did she consent that night after they finally got in? If she did actually (finally) consent, was she sober enough to consent? Even if the law has a hard time defining this grey area of consent, and she did in fact consent(ish), this still looks brutally awful! And that is regardless if she is a slut or not.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
fishmike
USA
9/26/2016  4:44 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Also, Rose has a big problem ... He did do IT with his boys while she was certainly very drunk (minimally). Something that she certainly expressed quite often that she DID NOT want to do. Did she consent that night after they finally got in? If she did actually (finally) consent, was she sober enough to consent? Even if the law has a hard time defining this grey area of consent, and she did in fact consent(ish), this still looks brutally awful! And that is regardless if she is a slut or not.

we just don't know the facts... what most likely what we think we know was leaked by people who only want you to know certain things. I am not defending Rose, simply saying we don't have all the info, and while athlete's behaving poorly is nothing new, neither are dodgy money grabbers trying dodgy scams to get money. All I am saying is lets see what really happens. If it goes to court (looks like it is) and Rose pays nothing or some token settlement what does that say? I just choose to pass on comment or judgment until there is something worth spinning my wheels on. Dumb jocks are easy targets also. All I am saying is the truth usually comes out in the end... usually. Lets see what happens then.
mreinman

9/26/2016  5:30 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

we just don't know the facts... what most likely what we think we know was leaked by people who only want you to know certain things. I am not defending Rose, simply saying we don't have all the info, and while athlete's behaving poorly is nothing new, neither are dodgy money grabbers trying dodgy scams to get money. All I am saying is lets see what really happens. If it goes to court (looks like it is) and Rose pays nothing or some token settlement what does that say? I just choose to pass on comment or judgment until there is something worth spinning my wheels on. Dumb jocks are easy targets also. All I am saying is the truth usually comes out in the end... usually. Lets see what happens then.

Fair statement fish ... only that the truth usually does not come out and very few rapist are convicted.

We know what her statement was and we know what his statement was. Much of it actually aligns, other than the consent. Baring a jump to conclusion on that, I already have enough to stomach about what we know.

fishmike
USA
9/27/2016  9:07 AM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Fair statement fish ... only that the truth usually does not come out and very few rapist are convicted.

We know what her statement was and we know what his statement was. Much of it actually aligns, other than the consent. Baring a jump to conclusion on that, I already have enough to stomach about what we know.

I mean a lot of this stuff shouldn't. Rose isn't running for public office. I have never raped or assaulted a woman. I have never been accused of it either. That being said I had my share of douchey behavior in my 20s and have had some memorable escapades I sure as hell wouldn't want the public knowing about. It was my 20s. I worked in a restaurant where there is constant turnover of attractive female staff. There are many opportunities. I am quite sure if I was worth $50mm or so one of those chicks would have had tried to get preg or corner me with some stupid jazz. So I don't instantly go to the place where being an a-hole is somehow close to rape because we arent getting the truth. Rape is a problem that happens. Taking advantage of someone to get laid or for a money grab... that's a lot more common and I simply lean towards that which happens the most.
mreinman

9/27/2016  10:14 AM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I mean a lot of this stuff shouldn't. Rose isn't running for public office. I have never raped or assaulted a woman. I have never been accused of it either. That being said I had my share of douchey behavior in my 20s and have had some memorable escapades I sure as hell wouldn't want the public knowing about. It was my 20s. I worked in a restaurant where there is constant turnover of attractive female staff. There are many opportunities. I am quite sure if I was worth $50mm or so one of those chicks would have had tried to get preg or corner me with some stupid jazz. So I don't instantly go to the place where being an a-hole is somehow close to rape because we arent getting the truth. Rape is a problem that happens. Taking advantage of someone to get laid or for a money grab... that's a lot more common and I simply lean towards that which happens the most.

most men lean towards that conclusion which is why it took 80 woman to bring down cosby and its why most rapes go unreported and why even when reported, very very few get convicted. Very easy to slut shame and turn it around, and yes. Many of these women are star struck at first.

Rose having an orgy with a drunk girl after her repeated denials that are clearly documented is in itself quite despicable even if its in the very grey area of drunken consent (if there even was drunk consent) when Rose does not even know what consent means.

We can't yet say that he is a gang raper but one can easily see that his actions were as sleazy as one can get.

fishmike
USA
9/27/2016  10:20 AM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

most men lean towards that conclusion which is why it took 80 woman to bring down cosby and its why most rapes go unreported and why even when reported, very very few get convicted. Very easy to slut shame and turn it around, and yes. Many of these women are star struck at first.

Rose having an orgy with a drunk girl after her repeated denials that are clearly documented is in itself quite despicable even if its in the very grey area of drunken consent (if there even was drunk consent) when Rose does not even know what consent means.

We can't yet say that he is a gang raper but one can easily see that his actions were as sleazy as one can get.

Im sorry... "Most men?" What is that? And please clarify what conclusion I made. And you brought Cosby into the conversation why?
mreinman

9/27/2016  1:46 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Im sorry... "Most men?" What is that? And please clarify what conclusion I made. And you brought Cosby into the conversation why?

because its the same pattern which is one of the reasons why most women choose not to report. I posted the stats in the other thread and they are alarming and sad.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/27/2016  1:59 PM
I thought we already had a Rose Civil Suit thread? Why are we continuing to bring this to every other thread?

How about this roster? What about this guy?

Or this guy?

Man we need to be talking about Basketball... IT'S BACK BABY!!!

fishmike
USA
9/27/2016  3:11 PM
nixluva wrote:I thought we already had a Rose Civil Suit thread? Why are we continuing to bring this to every other thread?

How about this roster? What about this guy?

Or this guy?

Man we need to be talking about Basketball... IT'S BACK BABY!!!

clearly not and if you cant see Rose's sleaziness you might as well be a Crosby sympathizer. Wow
mreinman

9/27/2016  3:31 PM
fishmike, please move this to the rose thread if you'd like to discuss
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/27/2016  5:20 PM
Yeah, because as of right now, we only have two or three mreinman love-for-the-2-years-after-the-fact-golddigger threads.

Pjax says the goal is a chip.
Once he said we were a playoff team. That didn't work out so well.

No matter what's going on in ZenLand, I'm still jazzed about our bench. Young, long, talented, Euro, and Lance.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/27/2016  8:12 PM
One step at a time. Would be happy with a respectable playoff run at this point, its been so long. Just want to see the Knicks represent again.
Article: Phil Jackson: Success for Knicks would be 'championship'

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy