Where the heck is Hillary Clinton?
Author Thread
earthmansurfer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #858
Germany
11/30/2016  11:50 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:Not bad since he isn't even in office yet.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/29/carrier-says-it-has-deal-with-trump-to-keep-jobs-in-indiana.html

That means they're shipping 2000 instead of 3000 jobs to Mexico, and they get a nice tax deal for doing it. Wonderful.

Who is the president right now? Where is he taking us? Where did he take us? Trump trying to undo some of those horrors.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/under-obama-black-unemployment-back-to-twice-the-white-rate/article/2534597

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
AUTOADVERT
earthmansurfer
Germany
11/30/2016  11:51 AM
holfresh wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Apparently, they may only do a machine recount rather than hand recount in Wisconsin. That's so sketchy. The whole point was that we don't know if the machines are counting the votes correctly.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/11/28/elections-staff-layout-recount-timeline/94539210/

And if there's any rigging it is with the machines that can be hacked as well as undocumented immigrants being allowed to vote.

American citizens don't want to go to the polls..You think undocumented immigrants want to go vote when they aren't even on the rolls?..In republicans mind undocumented turnout is 1000%..

LOL - maybe the undocumented immigrants have a stronger sense of civic duty than American citizens do!

I really don't understand this suspicion that the undocumented are voting in our national elections. This obsession with George Soros. Trump's own claims of millions voting illegally. Maybe guns is right: conversation is useless. I've been fact-checking, questioning, asking for data, conceding points where I can figuring that the favor will be returned. But I feel like I'm using Emily Post etiquette in a bar fight. It's simply an approach to facts, truth, and logic I don't get. If this is the guy we get for America's lack of civic engagement, anti-intellectualism, money corrupted politics, and profit-driven news media, well... this is what we get.

At this point, I feel like working with kids on critical thinking, civics, and media literacy is the only hope. Because a lot of you adults are hopeless, including our President-elect.

Re George Soros, have you heard his short interview on 60 minutes? Just listen to him. He is an extremely powerful man with some very cold reasoning. He has had HUGE influence on our past elections, nations monies all over the world and quite a bit more. It is interesting to hear his perspective.

OK... "Donald Trump without the humility"... good joke. Well look, let's put Soros in the "get money out of politics" bucket then.

"How he destroys nations" — nice editorializing on the YouTube title... but the title and description lack basic information like the date this aired.

Rigging the elections by what: funding legal battles against the post-Voting Rights Act restrictions around the country? Or funding policies to deal with hate crimes http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/us/politics/george-soros-hate-crimes.html Or is this just good ol' Elders of Sion boogeyman business?

If you can put forward your case in your own words with some citations to credible articles about why he's been such a huge influence, I'm game. But send me something that would pass muster for a librarian. Otherwise just seems like yet another distraction.

I'm not trying to hang Soros, he is just a powerful figure in world events (and not the traditional politician). I just posted that as it is neutral and in his own words (for the most part).
It gives you a better idea about his meddling in other governments affairs. He does some good things too, but he is basically a world elite trying to direct things where he see's fit.
If you want to learn more about him just do a bit of searching. What he has done is pretty bad at times though and the moral-ness of his actions is often in question.

Not sure on the voting. My guess is that since illegals coming across the border are trying so hard to get in the country, voting once they get here (e.g. in CA) would seem the logical next step - pick a client who benefits them. There are millions of illegals who would of course want to vote for Hillary as the other guy wants to deport them! lol
Now, is there evidence for that? I haven't really looked but when I have time I might...

Meddling in governments affairs???...Come on man...

Did you say moral-less???..He is trading...

Th currency market is a freely openly traded market much like the stock market..Soros took a position against a currency based on a countries economic policies..Just like other Fund managers take positions in certain stocks..You wouldn't say Buffet is "meddling in a company's business" if he is betting against the company's success based on fundamentals...If you don't want your stock traded, go private..

Asians take it personally when you bet against them..They get upset and pout..Hedge fund manager Jim Chanos bets against companies all the time..Currently he is short(betting against) Tesla and Alibaba..You don't hear a peep from Elon Musk(Tesla) about it but the CEO of Alibaba(Chinese company) has threatened to sue him for shorting the stock...And that isn't meddling in the company's business, its trading..It you don't want your currency traded and invite speculation and investment then make it a fixed currency...

When EURO was trading at 1.45/1.50 back in 2011, Soros was short and said it would go to par to the US dollar..The European Union didn't pitch a hissy fit, they were probably happy but Soros was right again..EURUSD is around 1.0650 now..

Morals, you know how like I won't invest in weapons producing companies, even though I could make a happy return.
Don't hide behind logic when dealing with the heart.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/30/2016  11:54 AM
earthmansurfer wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/29/carrier-says-it-has-deal-with-trump-to-keep-jobs-in-indiana.html

That means they're shipping 2000 instead of 3000 jobs to Mexico, and they get a nice tax deal for doing it. Wonderful.

Who is the president right now? Where is he taking us? Where did he take us? Trump trying to undo some of those horrors.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/under-obama-black-unemployment-back-to-twice-the-white-rate/article/2534597

Talk about switching the topic! When you realize what you were praising Trump for made no sense, you start knocking the current President with almost a 60% approval rating!
holfresh
Member: #1081

11/30/2016  12:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/30/2016  12:07 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Apparently, they may only do a machine recount rather than hand recount in Wisconsin. That's so sketchy. The whole point was that we don't know if the machines are counting the votes correctly.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/11/28/elections-staff-layout-recount-timeline/94539210/

And if there's any rigging it is with the machines that can be hacked as well as undocumented immigrants being allowed to vote.

American citizens don't want to go to the polls..You think undocumented immigrants want to go vote when they aren't even on the rolls?..In republicans mind undocumented turnout is 1000%..

LOL - maybe the undocumented immigrants have a stronger sense of civic duty than American citizens do!

I really don't understand this suspicion that the undocumented are voting in our national elections. This obsession with George Soros. Trump's own claims of millions voting illegally. Maybe guns is right: conversation is useless. I've been fact-checking, questioning, asking for data, conceding points where I can figuring that the favor will be returned. But I feel like I'm using Emily Post etiquette in a bar fight. It's simply an approach to facts, truth, and logic I don't get. If this is the guy we get for America's lack of civic engagement, anti-intellectualism, money corrupted politics, and profit-driven news media, well... this is what we get.

At this point, I feel like working with kids on critical thinking, civics, and media literacy is the only hope. Because a lot of you adults are hopeless, including our President-elect.

Re George Soros, have you heard his short interview on 60 minutes? Just listen to him. He is an extremely powerful man with some very cold reasoning. He has had HUGE influence on our past elections, nations monies all over the world and quite a bit more. It is interesting to hear his perspective.

OK... "Donald Trump without the humility"... good joke. Well look, let's put Soros in the "get money out of politics" bucket then.

"How he destroys nations" — nice editorializing on the YouTube title... but the title and description lack basic information like the date this aired.

Rigging the elections by what: funding legal battles against the post-Voting Rights Act restrictions around the country? Or funding policies to deal with hate crimes http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/us/politics/george-soros-hate-crimes.html Or is this just good ol' Elders of Sion boogeyman business?

If you can put forward your case in your own words with some citations to credible articles about why he's been such a huge influence, I'm game. But send me something that would pass muster for a librarian. Otherwise just seems like yet another distraction.

I'm not trying to hang Soros, he is just a powerful figure in world events (and not the traditional politician). I just posted that as it is neutral and in his own words (for the most part).
It gives you a better idea about his meddling in other governments affairs. He does some good things too, but he is basically a world elite trying to direct things where he see's fit.
If you want to learn more about him just do a bit of searching. What he has done is pretty bad at times though and the moral-ness of his actions is often in question.

Not sure on the voting. My guess is that since illegals coming across the border are trying so hard to get in the country, voting once they get here (e.g. in CA) would seem the logical next step - pick a client who benefits them. There are millions of illegals who would of course want to vote for Hillary as the other guy wants to deport them! lol
Now, is there evidence for that? I haven't really looked but when I have time I might...

Meddling in governments affairs???...Come on man...

Did you say moral-less???..He is trading...

Th currency market is a freely openly traded market much like the stock market..Soros took a position against a currency based on a countries economic policies..Just like other Fund managers take positions in certain stocks..You wouldn't say Buffet is "meddling in a company's business" if he is betting against the company's success based on fundamentals...If you don't want your stock traded, go private..

Asians take it personally when you bet against them..They get upset and pout..Hedge fund manager Jim Chanos bets against companies all the time..Currently he is short(betting against) Tesla and Alibaba..You don't hear a peep from Elon Musk(Tesla) about it but the CEO of Alibaba(Chinese company) has threatened to sue him for shorting the stock...And that isn't meddling in the company's business, its trading..It you don't want your currency traded and invite speculation and investment then make it a fixed currency...

When EURO was trading at 1.45/1.50 back in 2011, Soros was short and said it would go to par to the US dollar..The European Union didn't pitch a hissy fit, they were probably happy but Soros was right again..EURUSD is around 1.0650 now..

Morals, you know how like I won't invest in weapons producing companies, even though I could make a happy return.
Don't hide behind logic when dealing with the heart.

What??..Currency trading isn't like stock trading in that sense...A currency can devalue for good and bad reasons and can help or hurt an economy...For example the first currency that Soros heavily bet against during the Asian crisis is the Tai Baht and it has not gone back to those levels of 20 years ago..It didn't belong where it was trading given the structure their economy...So the country is fine today with it's devalue currency...

The issue I think you are missing is that people, the globe, piggy back Soros trades after they find out what he has done...

Trump just personally talked down the Mexican peso by about 45% over the last 6 months..
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/30/2016  12:10 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

You did read the article, right? It was written in 2013.

You did your due diligence here? Not just post something cause it fits your talking point and hope it sticks?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
earthmansurfer
Germany
11/30/2016  12:10 PM
DrAlphaeus wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

I'm asking you instead of "just do a bit of searching" because this "searching" we all rely on is part of the problem. My searches are going to be different than yours. Algorithmic bubbles we are all slipping into. You are the one who brought him up many pages back. Now if you just don't feel like doing what I asked you, that's fine, you don't owe me anything.

But I think you talk about George Soros because other people talk about him, and he bubbles up to the top of these aggregators and algorithms. "Trending" ... "1M people are talking about this" ... "I'm hearing things" ... Rumor, innuendo and insinuations.

I know if I was an illegal who overstayed my visa or paid a smuggler to get me in or swam across a river or trekked through a desert to bust my ass working and live in the shadows... there is nothing I'd rather do than risk all of that by scamming the local Board of Elections to get my name in the voter rolls and then show up, stand in line for an hour, pull the ultimate con job over the American electorate. Does it pay as well as protesting against Trump?

If there were millions that did this, you'd really hope there were records of at least 100 people getting caught, we might as well just hang up this whole democracy thing. Our Board of Elections across the country are either thoroughly corrupted or abject failures.

I'd also just remind you how crazy you thought my question to you about your immigration status in Germany was. The idea you'd incriminate yourself even in a semi-anonymous forum was a crazy one. So why would a million people with a compromised immigration status further compromise it in real life or via mail?

It's all one big argument from ignorance Trump is playing.

I've come across Soros data for years. He is a big player globally. And I'll say I am not against everything he does. The guy has actually tried to help people. Even in that video, they mention how someone in Africa asked him for advice on how to stop being a victim (or something like that) from speculators (like Soros himself admittedly said) and Soros helped the man with an honest letter. But the lack of morals comes through. Saying "Well, if I didn't do it then someone else would", is just lacking compassion, heart, etc. Remember that Einstein quote, my sig now...

Off the top of my head nothing comes to me, sure your research would show something different, but as I said, Soros operates quite often out in the open. Though that video I posted of him was basically wiped from the net until recently. 1 source was found and then spread again.

If I come across anything I'll post it for sure. And his name often comes up, so it will happen.

Re illegal immigrants voting, I'm just saying there is huge motive to vote illegally = face deportation potentially under Trump (though it looks like just for law breakers - what laws, no one knows). I'll see what I come up with and post it.
I really doubt it would come to millions (at least in any one area.) Now, if there are 20-30 million illegals in America (I just made up that number, I have no idea but surely it is in the millions), even if a small % voted illegally, it would have an effect, at least could.

A voter ID card, at least at face value, seems like a smart option re it.

Again, coming from an ex-IT guy, there is no anonymity on the internet when you break the law and post it (unless you are REAL GOOD). They have my ip address. Getting it is just a form away. And if you are a good hacker, there are some more possibilities available. So, I'm reminding you as well...

Ignorance is all around, look at this forum, look at the country, look at the world - pretty much divided. I really doubt that the 25% that voted for Hillory (or Trump), got it all right and the other 25% got it all wrong. Then there is that 50% who saw a flawed system, were fed up, too lazy, etc. and just didn't vote.

Bonn1997
USA
11/30/2016  12:18 PM
martin wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

You did your due diligence here? Not just post something cause it fits your talking point and hope it sticks?

Let's be fair here. He did at least as much due diligence as the average Trump supporter.
earthmansurfer
Germany
11/30/2016  12:23 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Talk about switching the topic! When you realize what you were praising Trump for made no sense, you start knocking the current President with almost a 60% approval rating!

Switching the topic? Not sure I understand as Trump isn't even president right now, Obama is. Trump is trying to fix some of what Obama did. Of course the issue crosses.
Trump just saved 1000 jobs and you are criticising him???

I believe that 60% approval rating like I believed the Brexit polls, Hillary Clinton has a 95% chance of winning polls, Hillary Clinton leading polls, etc.
Sounds like more Fake News.

DrAlphaeus
Alba Posts: 10
Member: #1781

11/30/2016  12:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/30/2016  12:29 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

I'm asking you instead of "just do a bit of searching" because this "searching" we all rely on is part of the problem. My searches are going to be different than yours. Algorithmic bubbles we are all slipping into. You are the one who brought him up many pages back. Now if you just don't feel like doing what I asked you, that's fine, you don't owe me anything.

But I think you talk about George Soros because other people talk about him, and he bubbles up to the top of these aggregators and algorithms. "Trending" ... "1M people are talking about this" ... "I'm hearing things" ... Rumor, innuendo and insinuations.

I know if I was an illegal who overstayed my visa or paid a smuggler to get me in or swam across a river or trekked through a desert to bust my ass working and live in the shadows... there is nothing I'd rather do than risk all of that by scamming the local Board of Elections to get my name in the voter rolls and then show up, stand in line for an hour, pull the ultimate con job over the American electorate. Does it pay as well as protesting against Trump?

If there were millions that did this, you'd really hope there were records of at least 100 people getting caught, we might as well just hang up this whole democracy thing. Our Board of Elections across the country are either thoroughly corrupted or abject failures.

I'd also just remind you how crazy you thought my question to you about your immigration status in Germany was. The idea you'd incriminate yourself even in a semi-anonymous forum was a crazy one. So why would a million people with a compromised immigration status further compromise it in real life or via mail?

It's all one big argument from ignorance Trump is playing.

I've come across Soros data for years. He is a big player globally. And I'll say I am not against everything he does. The guy has actually tried to help people. Even in that video, they mention how someone in Africa asked him for advice on how to stop being a victim (or something like that) from speculators (like Soros himself admittedly said) and Soros helped the man with an honest letter. But the lack of morals comes through. Saying "Well, if I didn't do it then someone else would", is just lacking compassion, heart, etc. Remember that Einstein quote, my sig now...

Off the top of my head nothing comes to me, sure your research would show something different, but as I said, Soros operates quite often out in the open. Though that video I posted of him was basically wiped from the net until recently. 1 source was found and then spread again.

If I come across anything I'll post it for sure. And his name often comes up, so it will happen.

Re illegal immigrants voting, I'm just saying there is huge motive to vote illegally = face deportation potentially under Trump (though it looks like just for law breakers - what laws, no one knows). I'll see what I come up with and post it.
I really doubt it would come to millions (at least in any one area.) Now, if there are 20-30 million illegals in America (I just made up that number, I have no idea but surely it is in the millions), even if a small % voted illegally, it would have an effect, at least could.

A voter ID card, at least at face value, seems like a smart option re it.

Again, coming from an ex-IT guy, there is no anonymity on the internet when you break the law and post it (unless you are REAL GOOD). They have my ip address. Getting it is just a form away. And if you are a good hacker, there are some more possibilities available. So, I'm reminding you as well...

Ignorance is all around, look at this forum, look at the country, look at the world - pretty much divided. I really doubt that the 25% that voted for Hillory (or Trump), got it all right and the other 25% got it all wrong. Then there is that 50% who saw a flawed system, were fed up, too lazy, etc. and just didn't vote.

There may not be anonymity on the internet, but I really doubt there is a TCP/IP-saavy ICE agent on the sports forum Western Europe expat beat.

But I shouldn't make too much fun of you there, because I too got paranoid about my participation on this forum in the wake of the Snowden revelations. jrod clowned me for months after that. But in my case, I'm afraid of private corporation background checks... some dumb Alba post haunting me 10 years in the future when I want to run for city council or get a job with security clearance haha...

It seems to me that these outrageous, baseless allegations of fraud are just a way to scare people into figuring that yes, we need more voter restrictions and an ID program. Instead of it working the other way around and having those restrictions a result of evidence of rampant fraud and abuse.

Baba Booey 2016 — "It's Silly Season"
earthmansurfer
Germany
11/30/2016  12:32 PM
martin wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Looks like Obama first made things worse and now he is roughly back to where he started 8 years later. And look at it compared to Whites and Asians.
Looks pretty much double to me.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2016/06/27/1-demographic-trends-and-economic-well-being/st_2016-06-27_race-inequality-ch1-07/

earthmansurfer
Germany
11/30/2016  12:33 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
martin wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Let's be fair here. He did at least as much due diligence as the average Trump supporter.

Link please.

DrAlphaeus

11/30/2016  12:33 PM
It's funny how the same people who will rail against regulations and harp on about simply enforcing the laws we current have, are asking for more regulations in voting instead of prosecuting the people responsible for allowing millions of illegals to corrupt our voting system like they claim.

More than a million people and there isn't one county clerk being forced to resign? No perp walks from undercover sting operations by election monitors? I can imagine what a million illegal votes would look like, and it sure ain't what's happening now. Trump is a ****ing liar.

martin
USA
11/30/2016  12:40 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
martin wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Looks like Obama first made things worse and now he is roughly back to where he started 8 years later. And look at it compared to Whites and Asians.
Looks pretty much double to me.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2016/06/27/1-demographic-trends-and-economic-well-being/st_2016-06-27_race-inequality-ch1-07/

Obama first made things worse? What kind of editorialization is that? I mean, for real?

You do understand what was going on the time when Obama started office back in 2008?

Did you read the article? DId you know it was gathering data from 2013 or just before?

DrAlphaeus

11/30/2016  12:55 PM
Here is the scenario... My immigrantion status is precarious. I know that breaking the law will expose me to deportation even under the Obama Administration — the "deporter-in-chief" as his critics call him. So I and a million others will risk exposing my status and becoming a criminal that could get me deported under any administration... because of Trump.

Doesn't pass muster with me.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/30/2016  1:05 PM
DrAlphaeus wrote:It's funny how the same people who will rail against regulations and harp on about simply enforcing the laws we current have, are asking for more regulations in voting instead of prosecuting the people responsible for allowing millions of illegals to corrupt our voting system like they claim.

More than a million people and there isn't one county clerk being forced to resign? No perp walks from undercover sting operations by election monitors? I can imagine what a million illegal votes would look like, and it sure ain't what's happening now. Trump is a ****ing liar.

That has long been established and documented. However it has no bearing or impact, it simply doesn't. Guys like EMS will just keep pumping Hillary's corruption and say things like "drain the swamp" while Trump lies about everything and fills the white house with career politicians and billionaires from wall street. Oh.. and Obama created ISIS and Hillary wrote all the laws that brought us to where we are. See how easy that is? Need evidence? Search youtube
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
11/30/2016  1:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/30/2016  2:10 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Switching the topic? Not sure I understand as Trump isn't even president right now, Obama is. Trump is trying to fix some of what Obama did. Of course the issue crosses.
Trump just saved 1000 jobs and you are criticising him???

I believe that 60% approval rating like I believed the Brexit polls, Hillary Clinton has a 95% chance of winning polls, Hillary Clinton leading polls, etc.
Sounds like more Fake News.

The US election polls were off by less than 2 points and the 538 statisticians gave trump a 1 in 3 shot of winning the EC.

martin
USA
11/30/2016  2:07 PM
DrAlphaeus wrote:Here is the scenario... My immigrantion status is precarious. I know that breaking the law will expose me to deportation even under the Obama Administration — the "deporter-in-chief" as his critics call him. So I and a million others will risk exposing my status and becoming a criminal that could get me deported under any administration... because of Trump.

Whoa

Bonn1997
USA
11/30/2016  2:12 PM
fishmike wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:It's funny how the same people who will rail against regulations and harp on about simply enforcing the laws we current have, are asking for more regulations in voting instead of prosecuting the people responsible for allowing millions of illegals to corrupt our voting system like they claim.

That has long been established and documented. However it has no bearing or impact, it simply doesn't. Guys like EMS will just keep pumping Hillary's corruption and say things like "drain the swamp" while Trump lies about everything and fills the white house with career politicians and billionaires from wall street. Oh.. and Obama created ISIS and Hillary wrote all the laws that brought us to where we are. See how easy that is? Need evidence? Search youtube

Yeah I know someone whose 82-year-old dad is still watching these anti-Hillary youtube videos all day. The election is over but they still need someone to hate!
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/30/2016  2:21 PM
https://newrepublic.com/article/139025/trumps-lies-destroy-logic-well-truth

Trump’s Lies Destroy Logic As Well As Truth
Fact-checkers can't show us the real authoritarian danger posed by our dissembling president-elect.
BY JEET HEER

November 28, 2016
The problem with Donald Trump isn’t just that he lies constantly, but also that he can’t keep his story straight. On Sunday, he issued forth a string of tweets about the election results and the ongoing recount efforts launched by Green Party leader Jill Stein. They advanced three separate arguments. The first tweet read: “So much time and money will be spent [on the recount]—same result! Sad.” The subsequent tweet read: “In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally.” And the next two tweets formed a single thought: “It would have been much easier for me to win the so-called popular vote than the Electoral College in that I would only campaign in 3 or 4-states instead of the 15 states that I visited. I would have won even more easily and convincingly (but smaller states are forgotten)!”

What’s interesting about these three tweets is that, on the face of it, Trump’s second point contradicts both his first and third assertions. For if Trump truly did win the popular vote despite massive fraud (as alleged in point 2), then a recount wouldn’t give the same result, as he’s asserting in the first tweet. And saying that Trump is already the real popular-vote winner flatly goes against saying he would have been the popular-vote winner if that had been his goal. It’s logically possible that points 1 and 3 are right, or that point 2 is right. It’s impossible that all three are right.

Fact-checkers have done a fine job of debunking Trump’s wild assertion that millions voted illegally, although many headlines too credulously described it simply as a “claim” rather than a demonstrable falsehood. But the media response to Trump’s dishonesty shows the limits of fact-checking. Fact-checkers typically look at individual comments a politician makes and judge them against known evidence. That’s fine so far as it goes, but it simply establishes the accuracy or inaccuracy of that one statement, rather than the pattern of deception or even irrationality at work.

Trump is out to create a post-truth world where his assertion of the moment is the only thing that counts.

At the end of a wholly persuasive refutation of Trump’s claim about actually winning the popular vote, for instance, Glenn Kessler at The Washington Post offered this meta-analysis: “Now that Trump is on the verge of becoming president, he needs to be more careful about making wild allegations with little basis in fact, especially if the claim emerged from a handful of tweets and conspiracy-minded websites. He will quickly find that such statements will undermine his authority on other matters.”

This analysis assumes that Trump wants to govern like a normal president, so that if he’s caught in untruths, he’ll face a credibility gap like the one that plagued Lyndon Johnson. What it fails to entertain is the possibility that Trump’s lies aren’t just incidental to his approach to politics but essential to it, that the president-elect sees lying as the source of his authority rather than as something that undermines it.

To be able to constantly lie and get people to accept contrary statements is, after all, an assertion of power. And it’s a type of power Trump understands all too well.

What’s really wrong with Trump’s claim of widespread illegal voting fraud isn’t just that it is untrue but also that, when combined with his other comments, it shows Trump doesn’t care about rational logic at all. To understand what Trump is really doing, it’s worth revisiting Sigmund Freud’s analysis of irrational logic.

In The Interpretation of Dreams (1899), Freud recounts the old joke about a man who returns a kettle to his neighbor in a damaged condition, which leads to a court case. The man offers a series of mutually exclusive defenses: “In the first place, he had returned the kettle undamaged; in the second place it already had holes in it when he borrowed it; and in the third place, he had never borrowed it at all.” Freud’s analysis: “A complicated defense, but so much the better; if only one of these three lines of defense is recognized as valid, the man must be acquitted.”

For Freud, the way the man defended himself in this story parallels the illogical connections that are commonly found in dreams. The world of dreams is governed by “kettle logic” (a phrase developed by Jacques Derrida, riffing on Freud’s original idea), whereby mutually incompatible concepts are fused together at the same time.

As Freud indicates, this can be a successful way to argue a case, since members of the jury only need to buy one of the arguments to acquit the man who damaged the kettle. But what works as a legal strategy also does damage to the possibility of arriving at any rational agreement about the truth. To use kettle logic is, in Freud’s terms, to enter the world of dreams. It’s not surprising that philosophers intent on showing the limits of rationality—not just Derrida but also Slavoj Zizek—have found kettle logic to be a potent concept.

Zizek used the idea of kettle logic to describe how the administration of George W. Bush oversold the Iraq War with a surplus of arguments (Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, we were spreading democracy in the Middle East, Hussein had connections to Al-Qaida, and so forth). The Bush examples shows how dangerous kettle logic can be in the public arena: It involves not just the spreading of lies but creating a state of dream-like delirium whereby reality and lies cannot be separated, where everything is just a pretext, an excuse or a rationale, and nothing is ever argued in good faith.

Trump wielded kettle logic to induce this state of delirium all through his campaign. Consider his various comments about the Middle East, which have been fully as shifty as anything the Bush administration came up with. Trump has variously said that he opposed the Iraq War before it started; that he opposed Obama’s withdrawal from Iraq; that America should have taken the oil; that he opposes putting more boots on the ground; and that America should re-invade Iraq.

The effect of this blizzard of untruths and half-baked assertions is two-fold: It allows Trump to appeal to different audiences (depending on what they choose to believe, Trump has words that appeal to both ultra-hawks and ultra-doves), and it also creates a post-truth world where Trump’s assertion of the moment is the only thing that counts.

When kettle logic is deployed by those with little power (the man who damaged the kettle in Freud’s joke), it’s a tactic to weasel out of a difficult situation. But kettle logic becomes something very different when it’s wielded by a person in power like Trump. A president who uses it is making a raw assertion of power: What I say is the truth, even if it contradicts what I just said a few minutes ago. This use of kettle logic is pure authoritarianism. It’s the practice of a big brother who wants his followers to repeat 2+2=5. That’s the dangerous realm we’ve entered.

Fact-checking Trump is vitally important, but it doesn’t go far enough. Unless we analyze how he’s attacking not just facts but also logic, we can’t measure the full damage he’s doing and respond accordingly.

DrAlphaeus

11/30/2016  2:33 PM
martin wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:Here is the scenario... My immigrantion status is precarious. I know that breaking the law will expose me to deportation even under the Obama Administration — the "deporter-in-chief" as his critics call him. So I and a million others will risk exposing my status and becoming a criminal that could get me deported under any administration... because of Trump.

Whoa

Hypothetical... not actually me. I'm trying to imagine what would get a million illegal votes. Is it a million illegal immigrants? Or a million illegal votes by illegals, non-citizens, felons... who knows.

It just doesn't make sense. It's just fear mongering to support additional voting restrictions seems to me. I'm trying to get EMS to use his own expat status to really question the likelihood of his scenario playing out a million times

Where the heck is Hillary Clinton?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy