[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Peja Demands a Trade
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/5/2004  7:55 PM
BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro (AP) -- Peja Stojakovic wants out of Sacramento.

Stojakovic said Thursday he told Kings general manager Geoff Petrie he wants to be traded from the only NBA team he has played for.

"I think the change would be good for the team and for myself," Stojakovic told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "That's the only explanation you're going to get from me."

Petrie did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Stojakovic, a three-time All-Star and the NBA's second-leading scorer last season, has been with the Kings since entering the league in 1998. He was upset that the Kings lost countryman Vlade Divac to the Los Angeles Lakers as a free agent and feels it's time to move on.

The Kings were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs last season, losing in seven games to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

"You could see this year, late in the year, we didn't have good chemistry and didn't play good basketball," Stojakovic said. "I just think that the team had their chances, and opportunities are closing, and the team needs new players.

"I'm probably one of the easiest players to trade, and I'm willing to go."

Stojakovic, one of the game's best pure shooters, has two years remaining on his contract plus an option for a third year. He has been one of the most popular players in Kings history, with such a loyal following in his home country that the Kings are easily the most popular NBA team in Serbia-Montenegro.

Stojakovic was in Belgrade on Thursday for a promotional appearance ahead of his country's exhibition game Friday against the U.S. Olympic basketball team. He is not playing for his nation this summer.

His trade request was unexpected.

"I just think it would be good for them and myself. Sacramento is great, but I think I need a change," Stojakovic said.

He said he doesn't have a preference about where he's dealt, adding that he had been thinking about asking for a trade all summer.

Stojakovic isn't sure what he would do if the Kings don't move him.

"You would rather have somebody [who is] happy. He [Petrie] can get something good in return for me," said Stojakovic, who averaged 24.2 points and 6.3 rebounds last season.

Sacramento went to the Western Conference finals in 2002, but has been knocked out in the second round each of the past two years. The Kings floundered late last season following Chris Webber's return from knee surgery, losing six of their final nine regular-season games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...c.ap/index.html

Not Knicks related but still pretty relevant when a star like Peja demands a trade.

This is what I consider credible, not those shady sources that say Carter demanded a deal.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/5/2004  7:58 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

"You could see this year, late in the year, we didn't have good chemistry and didn't play good basketball," Stojakovic said. "I just think that the team had their chances, and opportunities are closing, and the team needs new players.

Hmmm...I think he is saying he doesn't like to play with CWebb and his "I'd rather make to behind the back passes instead of the easy ones" attitude.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
PhilinLA
Member: #696
8/5/2004  8:01 PM
Why isn't he demanding a trade to the Knicks? That is customary in our country, and apparently Canada as well.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
8/5/2004  8:03 PM
TT + KT for Peja?
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/5/2004  8:14 PM
i'd rather have Tim Thomas than Peja. I'm not saying that Tim is better than Peja. But does anyone remember the game in Sacto where Tim dominated Peja?

I think Tim is a better fit. This team doesn't need an outside shooter, it needs a mid-range shooter and a slasher.

I wonder if that Artest for Peja trade will happen? I would never do it if I was the Pacers. I don't think Peja is a player you win a championship with, you can win in international ball with him and in the NBA regular season he'll destroy mediocre teams, but not in the NBA Playoffs. He's soft, and one dimensional. Where did he disapear too in the playoffs this yeaR?
¿ △ ?
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
8/5/2004  8:20 PM
I read between the lines....Peja does indeed wants to come to NY!
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/5/2004  9:28 PM
Posted by PhilinLA:

Why isn't he demanding a trade to the Knicks? That is customary in our country, and apparently Canada as well.

LOL
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/5/2004  9:46 PM
Peja is probably the best shooter in the NBA, and he had an MVP first half last year. He's also one of the biggest brick layers in the clutch plain and simple. The guy is a dear in headlights come playoff crunch time.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
flyingvee
Member: #405
8/5/2004  10:12 PM
Still the guy was second in the league in scoring, and you can't blame him for the KIngs collapse in the playoffs. If anything, the kings proved they were a championship team with Webber out, and Webber's return made them collapse. THe previous year he came bakc in the playoffs after an injury and was ineffective. Tim Thomas over Peja? You have to be kidding? So he had a good game against him, big deal. Peja averaged almost double what Thomas did. Too bad the Knicks have nothing left to offer. KT+TT and??? I see Peja on the Celts.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/5/2004  10:16 PM
I see either Indiana (for Artest), Memphis (for Wells and change) or Dallas (for Howard and Stackhouse) working out.
#Knickstaps
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/5/2004  10:19 PM
Yeah, I see Memphis as well. The Knicks don't have the assets.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/5/2004  10:27 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Peja is probably the best shooter in the NBA, and he had an MVP first half last year. He's also one of the biggest brick layers in the clutch plain and simple. The guy is a dear in headlights come playoff crunch time.

I don't watch Peja too much and didn't see too much of his playoff performance.... BUT, who else did Sacramento's opponent have to guard. They double team and key off of Peja and let everyone else beat them. Bibby perhaps. But do the Kings have a low post threat who consistantly needs a double team? That's when Peja is at his best. Webber was hurt, Divac wasn't going to do it, not Miller either.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
8/5/2004  11:22 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by fishmike:

I don't watch Peja too much and didn't see too much of his playoff performance.... BUT, who else did Sacramento's opponent have to guard. They double team and key off of Peja and let everyone else beat them. Bibby perhaps. But do the Kings have a low post threat who consistantly needs a double team? That's when Peja is at his best. Webber was hurt, Divac wasn't going to do it, not Miller either.
That is just like the Houston situation. Knicks don't have a low post-threat that consistently get double teamed. I think Peja would fit in nicely in Minnesota with KG. A Wally/Peja swap makes sense.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
flyingvee
Member: #405
8/5/2004  11:57 PM
Guys, were talking about a guy who was under consideration as MVP last year,not that he really had a chance, but Peja for Wally or for Wells? By the same token, why don't we trade Marbury for Battier or for a Wesley. I really thought the KIngs would have traded Webber first, but by moving Divac and alienating Peja even more, looks like they'll have to rebuild around Webber, Bibby and Miller now. Jeff Van Gundy said it la few years ago, Peja in a Kings uniform is good, in a Knicks uniform he'd be considered a superstar.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/6/2004  12:07 AM
Posted by KNICKSdom:
Posted by martin:
Posted by fishmike:

That is just like the Houston situation. Knicks don't have a low post-threat that consistently get double teamed. I think Peja would fit in nicely in Minnesota with KG. A Wally/Peja swap makes sense.

Not for Sacramento.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/6/2004  12:07 AM
I would trade Peja for Stro and Bonzi in 1.2 seconds if I were the Maloofs. Petrie is one of the best talent evaluators in the game and will probably get good value if they decide to trade him.

That said, I still feel Peja is extremely overrated. He's not on Dirk's level. And the MVPs of that Kings team were Bibby and Miller. When Miller hurt his elbow, the Kings were done - Webber or no Webber. If Miller stayed healthy, the return of Webber wouldn't have hurt them and the Kings could have made it to the Finals.
¿ △ ?
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/6/2004  2:27 AM
Man... I think it's time to unload Webber. That guy is a joke. His comments right after the Kings were eliminated... and more recently in the papers were horrible.

This is the same guy who pouts and can't seem to do anything right in the clutch. His return hindered the team badly--- and destroyed the chemistry and production of just about everyone around him.

If the Maloof's want to rid themselves of someone, let it be Webber.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/6/2004  3:24 AM
Posted by technomaster:

Man... I think it's time to unload Webber. That guy is a joke. His comments right after the Kings were eliminated... and more recently in the papers were horrible.

This is the same guy who pouts and can't seem to do anything right in the clutch. His return hindered the team badly--- and destroyed the chemistry and production of just about everyone around him.

If the Maloof's want to rid themselves of someone, let it be Webber.

YOu're so right. I find sooooooo funny to hear webber call out peja, though most of the tough shots the kings have ever met were always from peja and bibby. Webber has never delivered, and never will.

The kings were very good but webber disrupted the chemistry and killed their ball movement which made peja so effective. He couldn't play in the playoffs when their chemistry disappeared like snow in the sun.

lol, webber, that guy is such a clown.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/6/2004  9:57 AM
Peja & filler (Ostertag) for Shawn Marion & a pick? Phoenix seems to love those international players, & i'm sure SAC wouldn't mind upgrading their athleticism...both players are considered top level SF's.

[Edited by - TMS on 08/06/2004 09:58:21]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/6/2004  9:59 AM
they should trade peja for artest.
Peja Demands a Trade

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy