[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Today's fast break 38 win prediction
Author Thread
Paris907
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6099
USA
7/23/2016  10:26 PM
http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/from-the-courts/2016-17-nba-power-rankings-offseason-edition/
AUTOADVERT
Paris907
USA
7/23/2016  10:27 PM
http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/from-the-courts/2016-17-nba-power-rankings-offseason-edition/
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/23/2016  11:01 PM
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/23/2016  11:06 PM
Ok so this is the article you were referring to...

38 wins? So the Knicks are going to make a 6 game improvement? It's possible... can't argue it. But the article didn't give a rain except for saying Rose isn't a good point guard. He might not be good but he's better than Calderon and probably is still a top 10 point guard still. That's all a big upgrade, plus Jennings is here. The rest of the write up praises the Knicks moves. That's got to amount for something.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/23/2016  11:30 PM
18. New York Knicks (2015-16 standing: 32-50, Did not qualify for playoffs)

Derrick Rose is not a good starting point guard anymore. I repeat, Derrick Rose is not a good starting point guard anymore. Anyone high on the Knicks because they think D-Rose will help them take them to the next level will be sorely mistaken.

Kristaps Porzingis’ continued rise to stardom, Carmelo Anthony’s scoring binges and the steady play of role players like Courtney Lee, Joakim Noah (hopefully, if he’s somewhat healthy), Lance Thomas and Kyle O’Quinn should keep New York respectable, though.

Record prediction: 38-44

This is a rather weak assessment. It's mostly predicated on a dislike for Rose. Just stating that Rose is not a good starting point guard isn't good enough as a rationale. No discussion of how all the parts will fit together with new coach Jeff Hornacek's approach. No discussion of Brandon Jennings either.

It's not about Rose taking the Knicks anywhere. It's about how this group functions as a unit and not what one individual does in a vacuum. It's what the Knicks will do COLLECTIVELY. Rose won't have to try and carry this team cuz we already have Melo and KP, plus Jennings off the bench. IMO people are nuts if they really think any team with 3 threats like Rose, Melo and KP aren't gonna give teams fits!!! Exactly how does any team have it easy trying to deal with those 3 players and not leave Lee open or Noah loose to dunk the ball. You can't easily take away all the Knicks scoring threats. IMO 38 wins is a joke. The team last year could've done that with just a little bit of luck health wise. 6 more wins would make sense if they kept the exact same roster maybe, but not this roster. The Bulls as bad as they were won 42 games!!!

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/23/2016  11:41 PM
nixluva wrote:

Derrick Rose is not a good starting point guard anymore. I repeat, Derrick Rose is not a good starting point guard anymore. Anyone high on the Knicks because they think D-Rose will help them take them to the next level will be sorely mistaken.

Kristaps Porzingis’ continued rise to stardom, Carmelo Anthony’s scoring binges and the steady play of role players like Courtney Lee, Joakim Noah (hopefully, if he’s somewhat healthy), Lance Thomas and Kyle O’Quinn should keep New York respectable, though.

This is a rather weak assessment. It's mostly predicated on a dislike for Rose. Just stating that Rose is not a good starting point guard isn't good enough as a rationale. No discussion of how all the parts will fit together with new coach Jeff Hornacek's approach. No discussion of Brandon Jennings either.

It's not about Rose taking the Knicks anywhere. It's about how this group functions as a unit and not what one individual does in a vacuum. It's what the Knicks will do COLLECTIVELY. Rose won't have to try and carry this team cuz we already have Melo and KP, plus Jennings off the bench. IMO people are nuts if they really think any team with 3 threats like Rose, Melo and KP aren't gonna give teams fits!!! Exactly how does any team have it easy trying to deal with those 3 players and not leave Lee open or Noah loose to dunk the ball. You can't easily take away all the Knicks scoring threats. IMO 38 wins is a joke. The team last year could've done that with just a little bit of luck health wise. 6 more wins would make sense if they kept the exact same roster maybe, but not this roster. The Bulls as bad as they were won 42 games!!!

I thought the same thing. 38 wins isn't out of the question or outrageous but I anticipate a lot more success. The analysis is really weak. I think the Jennings signing was huge and that he will be a big part of the Knicks success next year. Jennings wasn't even mentioned. Kudos to the kid for knowing Lance Thomas is a good ball player.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
7/23/2016  11:57 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:

I thought the same thing. 38 wins isn't out of the question or outrageous but I anticipate a lot more success. The analysis is really weak. I think the Jennings signing was huge and that he will be a big part of the Knicks success next year. Jennings wasn't even mentioned. Kudos to the kid for knowing Lance Thomas is a good ball player.

Everyone that does one of this breakdowns forgets about Jeff Hornacek. His influence on this team is going to bring out the best in a lot of these players who thrive in uptempo, Space and PnR action. The Knicks have basically been operating with the Emergency Brake on. That's not going to be the case next year. JH will have them play as fast as they possibly can, which will make things very difficult for teams to defend.

I've said this before but with Melo, KP and Lee out behind the 3pt line it's going to open up a lot of space for Drive and Kick. This is before the team sets up in half court. JH loves aggressive ball and I suspect that with the players he has now he shouldn't have a hard time figuring out how to put them in great spots. Heck they can even run Big 2 Big PnR with Noah and KP. The options are endless.

mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

7/24/2016  12:04 AM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Everyone that does one of this breakdowns forgets about Jeff Hornacek. His influence on this team is going to bring out the best in a lot of these players who thrive in uptempo, Space and PnR action. The Knicks have basically been operating with the Emergency Brake on. That's not going to be the case next year. JH will have them play as fast as they possibly can, which will make things very difficult for teams to defend.

I've said this before but with Melo, KP and Lee out behind the 3pt line it's going to open up a lot of space for Drive and Kick. This is before the team sets up in half court. JH loves aggressive ball and I suspect that with the players he has now he shouldn't have a hard time figuring out how to put them in great spots. Heck they can even run Big 2 Big PnR with Noah and KP. The options are endless.

I think that the media just does not have the high expectations that you have and will not make assumptions on an unproven product. JH seems like a good hire but there are certainly still question marks around him as well. He had very good moments as a coach and he did not end off well (regardless of why).

I think that 38 is a low prediction but maybe I am also a bit biased as a knick fan. 38 is definitely not a crazy prediction.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/24/2016  12:19 AM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:

I think that the media just does not have the high expectations that you have and will not make assumptions on an unproven product. JH seems like a good hire but there are certainly still question marks around him as well. He had very good moments as a coach and he did not end off well (regardless of why).

I think that 38 is a low prediction but maybe I am also a bit biased as a knick fan. 38 is definitely not a crazy prediction.

It isn't a crazy prediction but I agree that it is low. I think if you go 38 you need to explain it a bit better. I think Hornacek and Jennings will have a huge impact on the knicks success or lack of success and they were not mentioned.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
7/24/2016  12:35 AM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:

It's not a crazy prediction but IMO it's not likely either. Like I said It's not normal for a team with this many weapons to end up with only 38 wins. It's not about having high expectations as much as it's just logic. Rose, Melo and KP in the starting lineup is a very nice trio to start with. Jennings is a very nice player off the bench. He's hungry to prove himself like Rose. I can understand the doubt based on the previous season these guys had. I think these guys playing together will be very good for them as a group.

As for Hornacek, I think his front office didn't do him any favors. This roster will have better internal policing from Noah and other sensible and coachable players on this roster. I think this is a roster that JH can work with. Lots of good guys in this bunch.

mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

7/24/2016  1:28 AM
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:

It's not a crazy prediction but IMO it's not likely either. Like I said It's not normal for a team with this many weapons to end up with only 38 wins. It's not about having high expectations as much as it's just logic. Rose, Melo and KP in the starting lineup is a very nice trio to start with. Jennings is a very nice player off the bench. He's hungry to prove himself like Rose. I can understand the doubt based on the previous season these guys had. I think these guys playing together will be very good for them as a group.

As for Hornacek, I think his front office didn't do him any favors. This roster will have better internal policing from Noah and other sensible and coachable players on this roster. I think this is a roster that JH can work with. Lots of good guys in this bunch.

I think that 38 is more likely than 50 though I assume you believe that the latter is more likely.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
nixluva
USA
7/24/2016  2:16 AM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:

I think that 38 is more likely than 50 though I assume you believe that the latter is more likely.

38, 45, 50 wins... it's all possible, but I don't think this team is MORE likely to win only 38 games. That's not a big ask. For this team to only win 38 games it would take catastrophic failure IMO. So yes it could happen, but this team has enough talent and a good fit between the players and the new coach. I think they fit each other well in terms of their skills.

As bad as this team was last year they lost a lot of games that they could've won. Last season the team was .500 when healthy and that team was not as well balanced as this team or as talented overall. I think they've sufficiently upgraded the talent so that they won't lose those kinds of games. This season they have enough scorers that they should not suffer the scoring droughts they had last year and also they can always have one or two of their top scorers on the floor.

Paris907
USA
7/24/2016  6:45 AM
Yes that the right article this time. Thanks. Funny how the media mentions Lance Thomas as a factor as his injury was when that team went from 21-21 south. I don't buy that assessment but...I ultimately believe that Phil did a solid job with the backcourt and we know that if the team wins but 38 games it means that Rose can't bring it, Jennings can't regain form and Noah is never gonna be Noah. I think Noah is the most impactful acquisition. If he regains form defensively, we win minimum 42 games. If Rose and Jennings play well, we go north of 42. Bench is to be assessed with lots of new faces but Thomas is there and that last pick may matter if Rose is hurt and Jennings ends up starting
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/24/2016  6:00 PM
nixluva wrote:

It's just 2 lines. Of course it's going to be just statements rather than rationales. There are many rationales available for each statement made, though. The statements are not implausible. Many of the statistics you typically rely could be used to justify the comments actually.
nixluva
USA
7/24/2016  9:33 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

It's just 2 lines. Of course it's going to be just statements rather than rationales. There are many rationales available for each statement made, though. The statements are not implausible. Many of the statistics you typically rely could be used to justify the comments actually.

I'm not making judgments based on purely statistical information from the last 2 years. I think there's more than just the numbers when it comes to evaluating this team or any team. The purely statistical model ignores the intangible factors that can't be quantified by a statistic. Stats are only part of the assessment process.

Stats can't measure how much players like each other or their coach. Stats can't measure motivation. Stats can't measure hard work in the offseason. I like the fit of the players on this team. I think they complement each other very well. I like the talent and experience of top players on this team. I like Hornacek's approach to the game and how that can positively impact the players on this team that are great at playing his style of ball. I think Phil did a great job of bringing in players with good attitudes and professionalism. I think the older vets can help to lead the younger players on this team. A lot of stuff just doesn't get addressed in the typical breakdown IMO.

Today's fast break 38 win prediction

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy