[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

the case for James Young
Author Thread
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

7/23/2016  2:11 PM
I loved this kid coming out of Kentucky but so far in his NBA career, he cant play defense, rebound, pass or do ANYTHING else except SHOOT! with the celtics signing gerald green, i think boston will waive the 20 yr old. Should the knicks take a chance?that triangle will help him create shots

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
AUTOADVERT
TheGardenFaithful
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6316

7/23/2016  2:41 PM
" he cant play defense, rebound, pass or do ANYTHING else except SHOOT!"

Iam gonna go ahead and say no based on this, we need a 3rd string pg more than another Sasha

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/23/2016  3:16 PM
he cant play defense, rebound, pass or do ANYTHING else except SHOOT

I take it that you're not his agent...try selling this to Phil and see what how quickly he dies from laughter

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
RonRon
Member: #246
7/23/2016  3:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/23/2016  4:13 PM
we have yet to see him really play in the NBA
he is young so hard to say but i personally would much rather have Terry Rozier to be developed

would really like Robert Covington as well

Markel Brown? and there are many other PG'S and Combo guards as well, players that could be the "next Will Barton on a crap friendly deal"

Tony Douglas?
Donald Sloan?

Dorrell Wright?

Shabazz
Lance? PJ Hairston?

Would have liked Alonzo Gee too at the G/F position

With the rise of the cap, maybe if we can get talents that are on contract for their MAX at the 15m range vs 20m-30m investments

Josh Smith
David Lee

not sure if the vet min is enough

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/23/2016  3:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/23/2016  3:58 PM
Dude is 20 yrs old; I would def take a shot at him. I see some here saying they would pass but what ever happened to nba coaches actually developing talent? He entered the nba as a freshman so it should be understood that he is far from a finished product. I would snatch him up if released..
RonRon
7/23/2016  4:11 PM
see more upside in Ben Mclmore
callmened

7/23/2016  5:02 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:he cant play defense, rebound, pass or do ANYTHING else except SHOOT

I take it that you're not his agent...try selling this to Phil and see what how quickly he dies from laughter

yeah i know right. i just hate to give up on a kid whos only 20yrs old with a nice jumper. but youre right though. so far hes been a bust

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
callmened

7/23/2016  5:02 PM
RonRon wrote:see more upside in Ben Mclmore

id love to get my hands on benny mac...o wait that didnt sound right!but yeah

RonRon
7/23/2016  5:13 PM
we all know that he can shoot though but so could Jimmer (though Young is much more athletic)
but in terms of DEFENSE, other skills, workouts, character, BB IQ, and other skills/work ethic, its too hard to determine where he is at on the NBA level
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/23/2016  5:19 PM
Stauskas and Marshall are on the bubble for the Sixers as well.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
WaltLongmire

7/23/2016  5:40 PM
Folks continue to miss the point, IMO, and I feel like a broken record, sometimes.

I still see Baker as the 15th man unless you find an older or 25-28 year old vet with the right skills for Phil to take him.
Why would Phil take on a developmental players who has done little or nothing in the league? We already have 3 SGs, and Young has not shown the offensive ability in the NBA to make me want to sign him.

I suppose that I have a rooting interest in Baker making the team, but we know that the Knicks like him. Seems like a more mature player than Young on the court from the little I saw, and Jackson probably considers him to be a taller type of Galloway who won't cost much.

Why would he take on a 20 year old player who seems to be on the outs with a team that spent the 17th pick in a draft on him? There is a reason why they will probably dump Young and why they went out and picked up Green, a similar player who the Celtics had drafted 11 years ago?

Young had the chance to be part of a nice young Celtics team, and it seems clear that the Celtics are willing to move on from him after a very short time, something you don't usually do with a guy drafted as high as he was.

I'll take a pass.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
RonRon
7/23/2016  6:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/23/2016  6:26 PM
we surely need a 3rd PG or combo guard

a LEGIT backup Center, wanted Dewayne Dedmon
maybe Josh Smith or Seraphin for the vet min as well vs Plumlee
David Lee as well

and Larry Sanders

Alonzo Gee would have been nice as well as a G/F 3 and D for continued development cheap talents

WaltLongmire

7/23/2016  6:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/23/2016  6:32 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Stauskas and Marshall are on the bubble for the Sixers as well.

Stauskas seemed intriguing as a shooter, but his shooting was not too good last year, and he played some significant minutes too...almost 25MPG.

Another weak defender.

Hornacek might like Marshall...who knows.

Played well when he got significant minutes with MDA in LA, and his shooting from the field improved, too. He won't get those kind of minutes with the Knicks, though.

Scheduled to make $2M this year, but the contract is one of Hinkie's non-guaranteed deals.

Might be some interest by the Knicks. Hornacek would have seen him play. Has the size Phil likes, too.

No idea about what kind of defender he is.

tj23
Member: #3119

7/23/2016  7:38 PM
If you can't beat out Gerald Green you don't deserve a roster spot. I like his shooting and passing but he doesn't have the upside as a mediocre athlete that hurts him in numerous areas. Not a bad guy to take a chance on but I don't think he'll ever be starting material in my opinion.
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/23/2016  7:50 PM
callmened wrote:I loved this kid coming out of Kentucky but so far in his NBA career, he cant play defense, rebound, pass or do ANYTHING else except SHOOT! with the celtics signing gerald green, i think boston will waive the 20 yr old. Should the knicks take a chance?that triangle will help him create shots

Can he play point guard?? That's our only position that we need another player for.

callmened

7/24/2016  9:30 AM
i agree. we need a 3rd PG! i was just a big fan of james young coming out of kentucky. i cant believe hes been this bad
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/24/2016  10:35 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:Folks continue to miss the point, IMO, and I feel like a broken record, sometimes.

I still see Baker as the 15th man unless you find an older or 25-28 year old vet with the right skills for Phil to take him.
Why would Phil take on a developmental players who has done little or nothing in the league? We already have 3 SGs, and Young has not shown the offensive ability in the NBA to make me want to sign him.

I suppose that I have a rooting interest in Baker making the team, but we know that the Knicks like him. Seems like a more mature player than Young on the court from the little I saw, and Jackson probably considers him to be a taller type of Galloway who won't cost much.

Why would he take on a 20 year old player who seems to be on the outs with a team that spent the 17th pick in a draft on him? There is a reason why they will probably dump Young and why they went out and picked up Green, a similar player who the Celtics had drafted 11 years ago?

Young had the chance to be part of a nice young Celtics team, and it seems clear that the Celtics are willing to move on from him after a very short time, something you don't usually do with a guy drafted as high as he was.

I'll take a pass.

Why would phil take on a developmental player? Walt he did take on Plumlee ndour and baker is a developmental player? That being said I don't agree with just signing a player because of potential( it's not a draft pick) I want to see someone earn it through play. I thought Christian Wood with his play in the D lesgue physical mental improvement and leading SL in per while be a force on both ends was a no brainer. We sign draft players either phil or his close people assimilate with

RIP Crushalot😞
Finestrg
Member: #1069

7/24/2016  1:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/24/2016  1:55 PM
callmened wrote:i agree. we need a 3rd PG! i was just a big fan of james young coming out of kentucky. i cant believe hes been this bad

I see Cat Barber just signed a make-good deal with the Sixers, so he's out. Damn. I thought he would've been GREAT for this team behind Rose/Jennings. I liked him for us before Rose and Jennings were even on board. Now with Rose/Jennings, Cat would've been an even better fit. Tough to swallow that we could've purchased a draft pick late to get him and passed (unless we didn't have the cash to spend--was this ever confirmed? Then why were we led to believe they were going to buy a pick leading up to the draft??), signed him for SL post draft and passed, and now passed again post summer league as we're looking to fill a need...Look, as excited as we all are about things, there's a chance either Rose, Jennings or both won't work out this year and won't be back next year. I've got to concede that possibility. This would've been a good opportunity to grab a similar type of player as an understudy to learn the ropes from our two vets ahead of him/develop at Westchester for the year/assimilate right in if we have injury/be a player for next year. Very disappointed they've shown Barber no love here every step of the way. This guy's ceiling could be a better Monta Ellis -- how in the world, with our guard concerns, do we have no interest in this kid??

I agree--we definitely still need another PG for depth. I've got Spencer Dinwiddie and Bryce Cotton as the next best available, 1 & 2. One's a Shaun Livingston/better version of Mardy Collins/smoother-craftier Vern Fleming; the other's an Aaron Brooks/better version of Patty Mills -- I'd be good with either but for Christ's sake, act now before these two go by the wayside too!

WaltLongmire

7/24/2016  2:26 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Folks continue to miss the point, IMO, and I feel like a broken record, sometimes.

I'll take a pass.

Why would phil take on a developmental player? Walt he did take on Plumlee ndour and baker is a developmental player? That being said I don't agree with just signing a player because of potential( it's not a draft pick) I want to see someone earn it through play. I thought Christian Wood with his play in the D lesgue physical mental improvement and leading SL in per while be a force on both ends was a no brainer. We sign draft players either phil or his close people assimilate with

The 3 guys you mention are actually older than young, and Jackson is seemingly comfortable with how they might fit in. I don't feel he believes they are total projects...maybe less so for Plumlee, IMO.

That is really what you are looking at. For better or worse, Jackson has standards which he applies to the players he brings in, and I think one of the most important things he looks for is intelligence and an ability to learn. He's made mistakes, of course...Early being one of them, and Grant being another, I would suppose. He took a chance on D. Williams, but it was a contract very favorable to the Knicks, and clearly Jackson did not want to pay him significant money.

Young has played for two years in the NBA and his own team which drafted him at #17 wants seems to want to dump him.

I would take Randle or Baker over Young, but as I've said on a number of occasions, I think Jackson and Hornacek like Baker's game, and I keep on going back to Martin's thread on the SL from a guy who spoke to the Knicks people in which a number of those interviewed gushed about Baker.

If you can get a solid combo guard with experience and some gas in the tank, I think Phil would take him on if he fit within our budget restraints.

I saw some stuff from Wood that I liked, but EVERY team in the league could have had him, and he only got a small contract from the Hornets. Why do you think that is?

I can only guess what Phil wants...and I try to listen to what he and other Knicks brass say. I also know that Baker played major minutes for us in the SL, so they clearly wanted to see him perform...and my belief is that they liked what they saw.

Could be wrong...of course.

the case for James Young

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy