[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: NBA to Move All-Star Game From North Carolina
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/21/2016  7:38 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/22/sports/basketball/nba-all-star-game-moves-charlotte-transgender-bathroom-law.html?_r=0

N.B.A. to Move All-Star Game From North Carolina

The National Basketball Association announced Thursday that it would not hold next season’s All-Star Game in Charlotte, N.C., the most significant fallout yet from state legislation that eliminated specific antidiscrimination protections for lesbians, gays and bisexuals.

The legislation, passed in March, also mandated that transgender people use public bathrooms that match their birth gender.

The law created an immediate backlash and raised speculation that the N.B.A., the North American professional league now most identified with engagement on social issues, would conclude that it had no choice but to move the game.

In a statement accompanying the announcement, the league said it hoped to hold the 2019 All-Star Game in Charlotte — with the clear implication that changes to the legislation would have to be made — and that a new site for the 2017 game would be announced in the next several weeks. The game had been scheduled for Feb. 19 at Time Warner Cable Arena.

Gov. Pat McCrory of North Carolina issued a blistering statement soon after the announcement by the N.B.A. He said “the sports and entertainment elite,” among others, had “misrepresented our laws and maligned the people of North Carolina simply because most people believe boys and girls should be able to use school bathrooms, locker rooms and showers without the opposite sex present.”

Mr. McCrory, a Republican, did not specifically refer to the N.B.A. in his statement, but he said that “American families should be on notice that the selective corporate elite are imposing their political will on communities in which they do business, thus bypassing the democratic and legal process.”

Several musicians — including Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr and Itzhak Perlman — have canceled concerts in North Carolina to protest the law, and there have been calls for repeal by a number of businesses, some of which have canceled plans to create new jobs in the state.

In the statement, the league said that both it and the Hornets, the N.B.A. team based in Charlotte, had been “working diligently’’ since the legislation was passed in March to foster “constructive dialogue” about the legislation and to “try to effect positive change.”
Want to Go to Rio?

Stay up to date on everything from the Games (the good, the bad and the ugly) with a daily email newsletter from Rio, and then receive a weekly roundup of sports news and behind-the-scene surprises after the Games.

But the legislation remains intact for now, and the N.B.A, acutely aware of the long lead time needed to stage an All-Star Game, opted to pull out of Charlotte.

“While we recognize that the N.B.A. cannot choose the law in every city, state and country in which we do business, we do not believe we can successfully host our All-Star festivities in Charlotte in the climate created” by the current law, the statement said.

N.B.A. players have generally been more publicly vocal about social justice issues in recent years. A number of the league’s top players have spoken out in recent weeks in reaction to shootings around the country that have left police officers dead in two cities and police officers accused of deadly recklessness in other cases.

In December, the N.B.A. participated in a series of television advertisements denouncing gun violence during its long Christmas Day schedule of games.

The decision by the N.B.A. is certain to inject new fervor into the debate about North Carolina’s law, which many people still refer to as House Bill 2.

Before its adjournment this month, and in defiance of pleas from public officials and corporate executives in Charlotte, the General Assembly resisted demands that it back away from some of the most contentious elements of the law, which supporters have argued is about public safety, not discrimination.

The fate of the law, which the United States Department of Justice has challenged as a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, is likely to be settled in court. A federal judge in Winston-Salem, N.C., will hear arguments next month on whether to block the law while the litigation is pending.

Republicans had signaled repeatedly that the N.B.A.’s misgivings were unlikely to persuade the law’s supporters.

“Our values are not shaped by the N.B.A. or Bruce Springsteen or some opinion poll,” state Representative Phil Shepard, a Republican and a Baptist minister, declared at a rally in April. “We’re standing strong.”

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

7/21/2016  7:59 PM
Looks like the sports world has joined the "elite."

I hadn't realized they were taking new members.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/21/2016  9:54 PM
Just convert all toilets to be with personal cabins only.
Then everyone can use them without fear to see person of other sex - man, women, transgender man, transgender woman, lesbian, gay, heterosexual, be-sexual, and multi-sexual, monogamous and polygamous...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/22/2016  8:57 AM
arkrud wrote:Just convert all toilets to be with personal cabins only.
Then everyone can use them without fear to see person of other sex - man, women, transgender man, transgender woman, lesbian, gay, heterosexual, be-sexual, and multi-sexual, monogamous and polygamous...
Not sure if you were being serious but why not? I never understood why bathrooms are so "open" anyway and I never understood why toilet partitions never extend from the floor to the ceiling for total privacy.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/22/2016  9:07 AM
Weak response:
Governor Pat McCrory is reacting to the NBA's decision to move the All-Star game from Charlotte next year due to HB2.

The governor released the following statement:

“The sports and entertainment elite, Attorney General Roy Cooper and the liberal media have for months misrepresented our laws and maligned the people of North Carolina simply because most people believe boys and girls should be able to use school bathrooms, locker rooms and showers without the opposite sex present. Twenty-one other states have joined North Carolina to challenge the federal overreach by the Obama administration mandating their bathroom policies in all businesses and schools instead of allowing accommodations for unique circumstances. Left-wing special interest groups have no moral authority to try and intimidate the large majority of American parents who agree in common-sense bathroom and shower privacy for our children. American families should be on notice that the selective corporate elite are imposing their political will on communities in which they do business, thus bypassing the democratic and legal process.”

Deflect the issue, blame it on others, and not mention other aspect of the law that is racist and over reaching at many levels. McCrory was Mayor of Charlotte and to ascent to the office this guy, who is not a bad guy, has sold out in the worst way to keep his job. Republican party in this state is doing some awful things. Cities of Greensboro, Wilmington, Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte and Asheville are diverse and progressive. The rural rest of the state is backwards. They are at war with the cities.

We have a governors election this year and while its not a national election, its important.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/22/2016  9:25 AM
Finally, a sports organization's leadership backing the general sentiment of their employees. Things are on the up for the NBA.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Nalod
USA
7/22/2016  11:17 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2016  11:19 AM
Cartman718 wrote:Finally, a sports organization's leadership backing the general sentiment of their employees. Things are on the up for the NBA.

I kind of thought professional athletes as being a bit on the homophobic side. This is the NBA basically aligning themselves up with corp. America.
The justice department will strike this law down. More important is the part of the amendment that speaks that citizens can't sue for discrimination at the state level, only the Federal Level.
The bathroom thing is stupid on its own. They assume that its been legal for people to behave badly in bathrooms. I want to know how they will police it.

This shyt is really simple, if your not offering equal protections then your discriminating. Jordan is a puzzy.

GOAT? I admire the players like Oscar and Kareem that took pride in who they were and their place in history!
Muhammad Ali sacrificed for his principles. Jordan is about selling his brand. One can do both.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/22/2016  2:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2016  2:46 PM
Nalod wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:Finally, a sports organization's leadership backing the general sentiment of their employees. Things are on the up for the NBA.

I kind of thought professional athletes as being a bit on the homophobic side. This is the NBA basically aligning themselves up with corp. America.
The justice department will strike this law down. More important is the part of the amendment that speaks that citizens can't sue for discrimination at the state level, only the Federal Level.
The bathroom thing is stupid on its own. They assume that its been legal for people to behave badly in bathrooms. I want to know how they will police it.

This shyt is really simple, if your not offering equal protections then your discriminating. Jordan is a puzzy.

GOAT? I admire the players like Oscar and Kareem that took pride in who they were and their place in history!
Muhammad Ali sacrificed for his principles. Jordan is about selling his brand. One can do both.

The homophobic NBA athlete is on the decline. I mean have you seen what Russell Westbrook wears to press conferences? Don't tell me those ideas came from a straight clothing designer.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Nalod
USA
7/22/2016  3:04 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

The homophobic NBA athlete is on the decline. I mean have you seen what Russell Westbrook wears to press conferences? Don't tell me those ideas came from a straight clothing designer.

LOL! Im not sure its on the decline or players just being better educated/censured as to what they are outwardly communicating.

CashMoney
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #3374
USA
7/22/2016  6:02 PM
I don't get. Penis = Man Vagina = Woman.

Use the bathroom you're supposed to use.

Blue & Orange 4 Life!
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

7/22/2016  6:05 PM
CashMoney wrote:I don't get. Penis = Man Vagina = Woman.

But ... but ... what do we tell the children?

CashMoney
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #3374
USA
7/22/2016  6:11 PM
Knickoftime wrote:

If you have a pee pee use the boys room. If you have a hoo ha use the girls room. The children will say "Oh ok."

Blue & Orange 4 Life!
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

7/22/2016  8:44 PM
CashMoney wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

If you have a pee pee use the boys room. If you have a hoo ha use the girls room. The children will say "Oh ok."

but what do we tell the boys that day they were born girls and havevto use the girls room. do we tell our daughter's ignore thier penis etc ?

arkrud
USA
7/22/2016  10:36 PM
Welpee wrote:
Not sure if you were being serious but why not? I never understood why bathrooms are so "open" anyway and I never understood why toilet partitions never extend from the floor to the ceiling for total privacy.

I am absolutely serious.
There is no other way to satisfy all sides.
And no way to police this kind of low.
It is more of building code question that civil rights question.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/25/2016  9:29 AM
arkrud wrote:
Welpee wrote:

I am absolutely serious.

This kind of low, indeed.

It's entirely amazing that we've now degraded as a society to the point where "gender feelings" are now equated with civil rights. Tell me, oh bastions of equality for all, when the large male who feels at odds with his gender decides to use the girls room at your daughter's school, are you hoping those floor to ceiling partitions are going to keep anything from happening, or do you just not give a sheehit if something does happen?

Just tell the little boys and girls to do whatever they feel. That's the elite worldview. Anything else is intolerant, "racist" (please explain how transgender is a race) and harmful.

arkrud
USA
7/25/2016  9:57 AM
jrodmc wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Welpee wrote:

I am absolutely serious.

It's entirely amazing that we've now degraded as a society to the point where "gender feelings" are now equated with civil rights. Tell me, oh bastions of equality for all, when the large male who feels at odds with his gender decides to use the girls room at your daughter's school, are you hoping those floor to ceiling partitions are going to keep anything from happening, or do you just not give a sheehit if something does happen?

Just tell the little boys and girls to do whatever they feel. That's the elite worldview. Anything else is intolerant, "racist" (please explain how transgender is a race) and harmful.

If one positioning himself as minority he/she/it has responsibility and need to act differently and will be perceived differently (is is actually what being minority is all about?).
If for example I am an orthodox Jew I am not eating in regular diner.
And this is not because I am discriminated by kosher food not being served everywhere but because it is my choice.
America is not yet reach enough to provide every minority with everything they desire all over the place. May be one of those days...
For now minorities have to adjust to the reality of their choice or situation.

Nalod
USA
7/25/2016  10:05 AM
So we don't talk about women who don't have a penis, but identify as a man?
Nalod thinks you go sit and pee, don't anyone have to know if your taking a 1 or a 2.
If you dress like a women, go sit and pee.
If your a man and expose yourself, your breaking the law. Don't matter. This shyts been going on for a long time.
We have laws to protect.
As far as showering together? No, that's not cool. That's a different story. That's also a sports thing. but since we have women kickers in Football not showering with the guys, then its already been solved.
Nalod
USA
7/25/2016  11:27 AM
The Governor responds to the bathroom bill aspect, but fails to defend the discrimination portions of the bill that to me is far offensive than the transgender issues.

http://www.ncjustice.org/?q=18-questions-18-answers-real-facts-behind-house-bill-2

Welpee
Member: #6239

7/25/2016  11:42 AM
jrodmc wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Welpee wrote:

I am absolutely serious.

A better question is what exactly are YOU expecting to happen? You really think people prone to molestation are going to be stopped by a bathroom law? 99.9% of people go to the bathroom to do their business. No matter what you do somebody is going to be uncomfortable. I imagine there are folks uncomfortable using the mens restroom with a guy wearing a dress. This is a big deal about nothing in my opinion. Little girls aren't being protected by this law.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/25/2016  12:02 PM
Welpee wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Welpee wrote:

I am absolutely serious.

A better question is what exactly are YOU expecting to happen? You really think people prone to molestation are going to be stopped by a bathroom law? 99.9% of people go to the bathroom to do their business. No matter what you do somebody is going to be uncomfortable. I imagine there are folks uncomfortable using the mens restroom with a guy wearing a dress. This is a big deal about nothing in my opinion. Little girls aren't being protected by this law.

Really? So people prone to molestation won't see the ability to trot into any bathroom they please as an opportunity? Do you have any more meaningful statistics on what the predatory rates are for people prone to molestation are? You ever spoken to a police officer about how predatory child molesters actually are?

Can you really be this blase?

OT: NBA to Move All-Star Game From North Carolina

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy