[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

These moves aren't so smooth- Article
Author Thread
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/5/2004  8:43 PM
Everyone should stop getting their panties in a bunch. It's amazing the kind of backlash that any writer gets for criticizing the Knicks in any way. Like I said, if someone praises the Knicks they're right and if they criticize the Knicks then they're wrong. It's amazing how that works.

And no, my name isn't Frank Hughes.

[Edited by - islesfan on 08/05/2004 20:44:13]
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/5/2004  9:09 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Everyone should stop getting their panties in a bunch. It's amazing the kind of backlash that any writer gets for criticizing the Knicks in any way. Like I said, if someone praises the Knicks they're right and if they criticize the Knicks then they're wrong. It's amazing how that works.

And no, my name isn't Frank Hughes.

[Edited by - islesfan on 08/05/2004 20:44:13]
Isles, people are not criticizing him simply for being negative; they're criticizing very specific claims made in the article. Criticizing someone for taking a negative tone is foolish; criticizing specific arguments someone makes is legitimate
islesfan
8/5/2004  9:19 PM
Isles, people are not criticizing him simply for being negative; they're criticizing very specific claims made in the article. Criticizing someone for taking a negative tone is foolish; criticizing specific arguments someone makes is legitimate

You mean comments like:

"Hater, that's all he is."
or
"Frank should stay off the crack. Bong me."

You're not calling Martin, foolish are you???
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/5/2004  10:23 PM
Posted by islesfan:

You mean comments like:

"Hater, that's all he is."
or
"Frank should stay off the crack. Bong me."

You're not calling Martin, foolish are you???

Don't know about everyone else but I am definitely calling Frank a fool.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
8/5/2004  11:07 PM
Frank is a fool, got his panties on too tight. He need to drink some of that kool-aid.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/6/2004  12:07 AM
Good post fellas, smooth and fishmike especially, this writer is a jackass, but I would like to ask, How much flexibility did the knicks have before IT took over? Now the knicks have 30 mil plus in expiring deals and a group of young talented players, TT, Nazr, steph, crawford, ariza and sweetney are all 27 years old and younger, they are young, talented and athletic.... GO KNICKS!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
8/6/2004  1:46 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

This new guy is just a slower learner.
rofl
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/6/2004  3:42 AM
We must be living on a different planet, even maybe on a different dimension.

We have a more talented roster, i mean so much more talented you can't even think about it.

We've traded untradable guys, we still have expiring contracts soon to come.

I don't understand how we couldn't win.

Indiana, phoenix... are praised for rebuilding on the fly. We're doing the same thing in less than a yr and those guys are calling out IT.

Guess what, they'll need a freacking ton of vaseline when they'll have to give him the executive of the year award.

I can't wait to see that.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/6/2004  9:32 AM
It all gets settled in the Win and loss colunm.

I think the tone of the artcicle is not all that unfair. Isiah is praised as the savior, but what he is really doing is buying his way out as had previous knick GMs also tried.

We are taking in more than we let out. IF this team does not gel then we are so royally screwed. One can dump expiring deals, but it means taking a player a team does not feel like he is performing consistant with his contract.

And that is what alot of our players look like. THEY are better than the previously overpaid players, but we have a payroll DOUBLE than most teams.

TT makes 13millon dollars! That is freakin unbelieveable.

Chad's article was fair, but Hughes was also ok by me. I know fans don't want to hear this stuff and we get all excited by improvements.

Again, it all gets sorted out during the season. IF the team struggles you will hear a ton of bashing going Isiahs way. Given the track record of these players, its not a given the team will excel. With the hype and money thrown around, expectations should be high. Its not like a bunch of green rooks learning the game, this is the highest payroll.

Likewise, if the team makes it to the conf. finals Isiah will be hailed as taking these disapointed players and giving them a chance.

Don't get me wrong, I like this trade. It opens 2 roster spots, and I like what Crawford might be able to do down the road. He does not have to play for contract and will be surrounded by better players and coachs that demand respect.

THis team has not proven anything yet, thus I am not so sensitive to others being critical about many of the deals made.

The team is certainly more interesting, and has upside potential (hope for fans), but regardless of how much we get buzzed in the off season, it will all be settled on the court. Simple game, score more points than your opponent!

[Edited by - nalod on 08/06/2004 09:45:18]
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
8/6/2004  11:05 AM
The problem with the article is that it is not balanced, which is a common problem of those editorialists who work for sports news agencies (although not all). It's pure exercize in contrarianship to the "popular" consensus which results in only criticism.

Some of the points possess some validity, but he never balances out these out with other persepectives. Worse yet, his apparent strong desire to contrast Chad Ford's article seems to cloud simple logic and effecting his language.

So for example, his assertion that all of this is without a doubt true, but this is a common problem with the "If I yell my point louder than you it makes it more true" types who dominate sports journalism. It would be nice to see an attempt at being somewhat objective. NOTHING IS EVER SO CLEAR CUT. It could work out, it may not, but you'll never hear any of these writers contain this kind of thinking.

A good example of logic-clouding in Hughes's article is his point that Marbury is not young. When people refer to "young" as a positive in the NBA, I do not believe experience in the league is as much of the point as the ACTUAL AGE of the players. Marbury is not one of the youngest players, but he certainly isn't an elder of the NBA, he's 27 years old.

Another point is his reference to the Olympic team and its struggles, of which Marbury is one of the "key players." Hmm, does that make Tim Duncan a problem as well? Or any of the other players, all of whom are not on the Knicks roster? Another ESPN commentator was on ESPN News yesterday explaining that a reason team USA is struggling is the DIFFERENT STYLE OF INTERNATIONAL BASKETBALL COMPARED TO NBA BALL. There is some evidene to suggest this being true. But we should be fair. The lack of teamwork may say something about the current state of the NBA, but if you're gonna attack Marbury then you have to attack almost every player who is on team USA, which includes some writers' favorite players, like Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James and Duan Wade.

I'm not going to disect every flawed point, some of which others here have already mentioned, and I will say that some of his points may become true. I don't know, but I don't think he knows either.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
8/6/2004  11:06 AM
This is a continuation of my post above:

Yesterday, I was listening to 1050 ESPN radio here in NYC right around the time the Crawford trade was finally sounding true, and they brought on Frank Isola from the Daily News. The conversation that took place was flat out ridiculous. There was not ONE SINGLE instance of mentioning anything positive about the trade. He and the two hosts immediately suggested that Crawford would be very unhappy if he was coming off the bench. HA! If that was the case, then why would he even bother wanting to come to the Knicks? Yes, maybe Jamal thinks there is a chance he will start because of Allan's injury, but their assumption about his reaction was very weak speculation.

They also went on to talk about how they always give players undeserving contracts, in reference to Crawford's deal. What was hilarious was that one of the hosts mentioned Travis Knight and Eisley. Any knowledgable fan knows that the Knicks DID NOT SIGN EITHER OF THEM. Layden may have been a fool for taking them, but it was Rick Pitino's Celtics who signed Knight, and Dallas who signed Eisley. He mentioned Shandon Anderson as well, and he was right about that. Of course, the fact that we had a completely different GM didn't seem to matter to them, and we made the playoffs for the first time in 3 years too. I would not deny that the way Isiah is constructing the team is a risk, but so is rebuilding. I have always thought these pundits were wrong saying NY can't tolerate a winning team. What we can't tolerate is lack of hope. Under Dim Laydown, hope was lost. Under Zeke we feel hope again, even if we aren't the best. I'd rather see them go out and compete every night, then stink up the joing with sorry players.

They need to ask themselves if the roster is better now, or than when Isiah first took over last year. I vote now, hands down.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
islesfan
8/6/2004  11:21 AM
Posted by Nalod:

It all gets settled in the Win and loss colunm.

I think the tone of the artcicle is not all that unfair. Isiah is praised as the savior, but what he is really doing is buying his way out as had previous knick GMs also tried.

We are taking in more than we let out. IF this team does not gel then we are so royally screwed. One can dump expiring deals, but it means taking a player a team does not feel like he is performing consistant with his contract.

And that is what alot of our players look like. THEY are better than the previously overpaid players, but we have a payroll DOUBLE than most teams.

TT makes 13millon dollars! That is freakin unbelieveable.

Chad's article was fair, but Hughes was also ok by me. I know fans don't want to hear this stuff and we get all excited by improvements.

Again, it all gets sorted out during the season. IF the team struggles you will hear a ton of bashing going Isiahs way. Given the track record of these players, its not a given the team will excel. With the hype and money thrown around, expectations should be high. Its not like a bunch of green rooks learning the game, this is the highest payroll.

Likewise, if the team makes it to the conf. finals Isiah will be hailed as taking these disapointed players and giving them a chance.

Don't get me wrong, I like this trade. It opens 2 roster spots, and I like what Crawford might be able to do down the road. He does not have to play for contract and will be surrounded by better players and coachs that demand respect.

THis team has not proven anything yet, thus I am not so sensitive to others being critical about many of the deals made.

The team is certainly more interesting, and has upside potential (hope for fans), but regardless of how much we get buzzed in the off season, it will all be settled on the court. Simple game, score more points than your opponent!

[Edited by - nalod on 08/06/2004 09:45:18]

That's a very fair post. I'm glad to see some people can take off the orange and blue colored glasses and be objective about what some people in the media have to say about the Knicks.
tkf
8/6/2004  11:49 AM
Nalod, I don't mind the criticism, but it is the lying and stretching of the truth to prove a point that upsets me, crap like the knicks have no flexibility for years to come, as if they had flexibility before the trade, and the marbury being in the pros 10 years when that is clearly not the truth, you know it is the stuff that briggs does at times to prove a point... I call that LYING! The fact is the knicks are more talented, they have players that want to play here and players that other teams would want in trades, only time will tell how well we will do but we already had one known fact, and that was under the old regime we were going nowhere, at least now we have a realistic chance of competing...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/6/2004  2:12 PM
It seems when ever emotion fills the air, extremes on one direction or the other persist. Fans take the bait of the media to get all worked up. You can read it in many posts when ever speaks down on the team with a view they don't agree with, or choose not to consider.

Such is the buisness of sports and the media. Create controversy where none exists.

On one side we got fans excited about potential expiring deals. They think its like getting cap space. It only works when you take back more than you give. ANd that player is no longer wanted. Seems like Isiah got the product intersting again, and needs to get things real.

It will all be settled in time on the basketball court!
MS
Member: #724
8/6/2004  3:51 PM
<p>How about 21 million reason Crawford came to the Knicks, because he got extra money, if he is happy coming off the bench why would you want him. He is supposed to be more than a role player.

<p>As for the Pistons, they are not even in the same league as the Knicks because those guys all take pride defensively. The Wizards and Jordan who may i add have no idea how to run an organization pull one dumb move after the other. Strickland for Sheed, Richmond for Webber, Stackhouse for Hamilton. Jordon isn't a good person to have in charge. They could have had elton brand but chose to add Kwame Brown.

<p>The Knicks don't have good defenders, TT, Allan, Crawford, Naz all are suspect on the defensive end.

<p>You want cohesion in your line-up, and if you look at the pistons, wallace, prince love to play d and don't need that many shoots, same with sheed. They have scorers, Rip doesn't need to play as tough as other on the defensive end because he is always in motion. That is why Kobe had such a tough time in the series, guarding rip, and then Prince slowed him down.....

<p>No one is doubting the Knicks can be effective, and maybe even advance in the Playoffs because i think they can and should. They have so much upfront that they would really give Miami fits, the confernce is weak, and athlough i don't love Isiah moves in general they are more exciting and have a good chance with a healthy houston.....
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/6/2004  11:22 PM
Here is the best take on this retarded article. It's a great read.

http://www.knickerblogger.net/
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/7/2004  12:05 AM
Posted by simrud:

Wow; that's a fantastic article. I too was looking forward to reading an article with a different view than my own, but Frank Hughes article is a failure for all the reasons highlighted in the Knickerblogger article. Frank looks downright foolish after your read the blogger article.
tkf
8/7/2004  1:29 AM
Posted by simrud:

excellent article, completely picks them apart..
These moves aren't so smooth- Article

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy