[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

“How Carmelo, Amar’e pushed Jeremy Lin out” Mike D’Antoni said in Woj podcast
Author Thread
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

7/21/2016  11:03 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
dk7th wrote:Some players are more team first and they understand hierarchy as being the best way. You can disagree and still comply. It's actually a great manifestation of Noah's tremendous character. Do you understand?

What are you talking about? Why would any coach have the right to put two really good players out of positions for a scrub??? Was Harden moved to the 4 and Howard to the bench so that the scrub could have the ball more?? When Lin had the chance and the league git to know his game, he was totally exposed and got benched behind two mediocre point guards. Your fantasy for him is pushing to all these non existent conclusions. Time to move on bro. Just take the poster down. Or become a Net fan. I'll buy you the Lin jersey.

because those good players were playing like boneheads and it did not have to be lin but any pg to take the ball out of those guys hands and set them up for much smarter shot attempts.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/22/2016  8:26 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
dk7th wrote:Some players are more team first and they understand hierarchy as being the best way. You can disagree and still comply. It's actually a great manifestation of Noah's tremendous character. Do you understand?

What are you talking about? Why would any coach have the right to put two really good players out of positions for a scrub??? Was Harden moved to the 4 and Howard to the bench so that the scrub could have the ball more?? When Lin had the chance and the league git to know his game, he was totally exposed and got benched behind two mediocre point guards. Your fantasy for him is pushing to all these non existent conclusions. Time to move on bro. Just take the poster down. Or become a Net fan. I'll buy you the Lin jersey.

He'd have to take off his Gallonari jersey first. Not sure that's happening. Apparently, sustained Melohate has some really weird side affects, like:

apparently dk7th is only capable of responding syntactically to one sentence posts now. It's the new high BBIQ.

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
7/22/2016  9:52 AM
jrodmc wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

He'd have to take off his Gallonari jersey first. Not sure that's happening. Apparently, sustained Melohate has some really weird side affects, like:

apparently dk7th is only capable of responding syntactically to one sentence posts now. It's the new high BBIQ.

i am taking you off ignore to make a humble request that you read his post and simplify it or dumb it down for me. good luck and god bless

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/22/2016  9:57 AM
dk7th wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

i am taking you off ignore to make a humble request that you read his post and simplify it or dumb it down for me. good luck and god bless

Does that count as 2 sentences? There was no period after the last word...
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
wallstbear
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6301

7/24/2016  11:41 PM
Again, the discussion becomes stupid bickering like this. 1 sentence, 2 sentence, whatever. You hate the guy, fine.

fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

jrodmc
USA
7/25/2016  8:43 AM
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Frankly, I liked my life better on ignore. (<-- one sentence.)

And I'm only responding to rhetoricals from now on. Syntactically speaking, of course. In comma-delimited format.

dk7th
USA
7/25/2016  9:58 AM
sorry, crushalot, seems that nobody understands your post after all.
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/25/2016  10:24 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/25/2016  10:25 AM
jrodmc wrote:
fishmike wrote:
wallstbear wrote:It's probably safe to say, different people have different views towards the story, due to preexisting conceptions. But if we are rational and civilized human beings, we should be able to boil it down to the bare facts: Lin was having a good stretch, the role players were enjoying it (play time, stats, fun), MDA wanted to go through Lin (not that he has any special affinity towards Lin, but he generally prefers to have PG run the show), Melo and Amare wouldn't want any of that and refuse to go w/ MDA's system.... The rest is history. And no, the poison pill was a minor detail and did not dictate the outcome.
It certainly dictated him leaving, and it was the telling trait of Lin's time with the Knicks. Bottom line is the Knicks didn't match a bad contract and they were proven right, as Lin did nothing close to living up to that deal Houston gave him. He was simply not an impact player.

+1
Here endeth the lesson. Again. 5 years later.

No idiot on this board would give Lin $20 million for what amounted to a 2 week run. And I loved Linsanity as much as any of you Melohaters.
The history here also included Lin getting his head handed to him by DeronW and others. It wasn't just an interrupted march to the NBA Finals.
Melo was at the time, a HOF player calling a spade a spade as far as that contract was concerned.<-- given the last 5 years, provide your reasons why that contract wasn't ridiculous, and read what you type before you post it.
D'Antoni's system hasn't amounted to anything in that span of 5 years necessitating the gloryhole licking that's going on in this thread.

If Lin would be presented with reasonable contract instead to be pushed to "find his value on open market" he would be a Knick.
All the rest was a logical continuation of the decision made by Dolan when this contract was not presented.
Dolan and Co have to make a decision on how to move forward - with Melo/Amare or D'Antony/Lin.
The chose was made and we know the result. Will it be better to do it differently we will never know.
So chapter is closed.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
jrodmc
USA
7/25/2016  12:06 PM
arkrud wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
fishmike wrote:
wallstbear wrote:It's probably safe to say, different people have different views towards the story, due to preexisting conceptions. But if we are rational and civilized human beings, we should be able to boil it down to the bare facts: Lin was having a good stretch, the role players were enjoying it (play time, stats, fun), MDA wanted to go through Lin (not that he has any special affinity towards Lin, but he generally prefers to have PG run the show), Melo and Amare wouldn't want any of that and refuse to go w/ MDA's system.... The rest is history. And no, the poison pill was a minor detail and did not dictate the outcome.
It certainly dictated him leaving, and it was the telling trait of Lin's time with the Knicks. Bottom line is the Knicks didn't match a bad contract and they were proven right, as Lin did nothing close to living up to that deal Houston gave him. He was simply not an impact player.

+1

No idiot on this board would give Lin $20 million for what amounted to a 2 week run. And I loved Linsanity as much as any of you Melohaters.
The history here also included Lin getting his head handed to him by DeronW and others. It wasn't just an interrupted march to the NBA Finals.
Melo was at the time, a HOF player calling a spade a spade as far as that contract was concerned.<-- given the last 5 years, provide your reasons why that contract wasn't ridiculous, and read what you type before you post it.
D'Antoni's system hasn't amounted to anything in that span of 5 years necessitating the gloryhole licking that's going on in this thread.

If Lin would be presented with reasonable contract instead to be pushed to "find his value on open market" he would be a Knick.
All the rest was a logical continuation of the decision made by Dolan when this contract was not presented.
Dolan and Co have to make a decision on how to move forward - with Melo/Amare or D'Antony/Lin.
The chose was made and we know the result. Will it be better to do it differently we will never know.
So chapter is closed.

Tell us about the last 5 years of Lin's career that would contribute to you not knowing that overpaying for an injured backup PG would not have been a bad choice. Please, no snarkiness intended; I really just want to know.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/25/2016  12:48 PM
dk7th wrote:sorry, crushalot, seems that nobody understands your post after all.
Here it is. Nothing to complex but the context was in relation to what you were writing a couple of pages back.
You are all over the place. First D'Antoni was gracious when he passed blame on his players for his not setting the line up the way he thought would best benefit the team and when he brushed over how much better the Knicks were once he left and cited circumstances changing because of injury and Woodson running the same sets. Now you are saying that he wasn't allowed to set his line ups or choose how his team played because of the owner? Come on now. Dolan outbid the Bulls for Mike. The Knicks drafted specific to his system and often took less talented players, they waived and traded guys he didn't want etc. The guy didn't present as having much of a back bone his entire tenure in NY and he certainly had total support from Donnie Walsh. When you can't rationally defend your arguments you always seem to throw Dolan in and blame him for things that could never be substantiated and are extemely far fetched.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/25/2016  1:45 PM
jrodmc wrote:
arkrud wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
fishmike wrote:

+1

So chapter is closed.

Tell us about the last 5 years of Lin's career that would contribute to you not knowing that overpaying for an injured backup PG would not have been a bad choice. Please, no snarkiness intended; I really just want to know.

Nobody cares about history that was not.
Organization made a decision of certain direction.
I am not saying it was correct or wrong decision.
It was The Decision of Dolan. Not Lin, not Melo, not Pringls.
And it was not about money of course.
Who cares about this little money at MSG.
Lin would be odd figure around the culture at hand.
Now he will probably not be so odd but train long left the station.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/25/2016  4:36 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/07/23/jeremy-lin-opens-up-on-knicks-heartbreak-subtle-racism-and-fitzpatrick/

serby's q&a
Jeremy Lin opens up: On Knicks heartbreak, racism and Fitzpatrick

By Steve Serby

July 23, 2016 | 5:03pm

New Brooklyn Net, and former Knick, Jeremy Lin took a shot at some Q&A with Post columnist Steve Serby.

Q: When you knew your Knicks days were ending, how sad was that for you?
A: I was really, really sad. I was sad the way everything went down, ’cause nothing happened the way I thought it was going to. I had wished that they had offered me a contract just in the beginning, and that didn’t even happen. And then, when I found out that they weren’t gonna match, I was even more sad, ’cause honestly, I wanted to finish my career there.

Q: Why?
A: I wanted to play for those fans who rallied behind that city, that came behind us and gave me that experience. I felt like I owed it to them.

Q: Now Linsanity will be in Brooklyn.
A: This isn’t the re-creation of Linsanity (smile), this is, for me, just the next chapter. That’s all I’m gonna focus on. If people want to call it whatever they want to call it, they can go ahead and do that, but I’ve kind of set out to see how good I can become and see how good I can make this team.

Q: Do you still encounter racism?
A: There’s gonna be racism everywhere I go, and some of it’s more subtle, some of it’s less malicious. I mean, every day there’s guys with certain stereotypes or whatever, and it’s not just me. But yeah, I still go through it.

Q: How do you handle it?
A: I just shake it off, it’s not a big deal. Sometimes the stuff people might say or tweet or comment, really racist things, but that doesn’t bother me like it used to. I still get stopped when I try to go through away arenas and stuff, and I’m walking with my teammates, and obviously none of them are Asian but I’m the only one that gets stopped, and they ask for my credentials, stuff like that. “Hey, we need your credentials,” or “Are you part of the team?” Stuff like that. But I really don’t let it affect me. … I’m so used to it now. It doesn’t bother me.

Q: What are your thoughts on flagrant fouls against you that are not called?
A: These things aren’t so black and white, or they aren’t quantifiable. But after watching the video (below), do I think some of those could have been flagrants? For sure. But they weren’t. I don’t control that, and I just keep playing, and I just keep attacking the basket. Does race have anything to do with that? I have no idea, I really don’t.

Q: Your thoughts on the world today in the wake of all the terrorist attacks and violence.
A: It’s awful. It’s scary. … Civilians getting shot, police getting shot, terrorist attacks, people getting run over. … I don’t even know what to think of it all ’cause it’s just so messed up. I’ve had a lot of questions about [Carmelo Anthony] and whatever. If you want to talk about what Melo’s done, talk about what him, LeBron [James], [Dwyane] Wade and Chris Paul when they got up there and they said what they needed to say, and when they’re asking our nation to stand and be more united. … I’m not black, obviously, but I can relate with a minority. And then I can also relate and understand how important it is to have a functional police and justice system in place to protect us and protect our country. I see like what’s going on on both ends, and it’s like, I’d be scared to be a cop, I’d be scared to be a civilian, I’d be scared to be anybody right now, and that’s just not the way that this country is supposed to be. The whole responding-to-violence-with-violence is one of the worst things that I can think of ’cause it’s just like it just gets crazier and crazier. Anybody who’s given the spotlight or a platform like we’ve been given, there’s that inherent responsibility that we should all carry to try to make this place better.

Q: Why do you think you’ve bounced around so much?
A: I haven’t been able to find a situation that I feel like is perfect for me. And because I’ve been in situations I didn’t want to be in, I’ve created and negotiated in terms of free agency a lot of shorter deals that give me the flexibility to leave if I’m not happy with the way things are going.

Q: Describe Nets coach Kenny Atkinson.
A: He’s a big part of my success in New York. I know the way he works, I know the way he views life, views the game. We see eye to eye.

Q: What traits will make him a successful head coach?
A: First off, his philosophy or his understanding of everything to me will make him successful. No. 2, he’s humble. And I think what’s really important is, especially as a young coach, is you have to learn and steal concepts, steal ideas. Like a basketball player, all these players are stealing moves from everybody. That comes from a level of humility of understanding, “I don’t know it all,” which he is very humble in that regard. And he’s hungry. For my story, one of the things that’s always been a little confusing is people always constantly count me out, or like I always find myself in an underdog position, and I feel like I’ve been able to overcome a lot of those situations. And I feel like for him, he’s someone that reminds you of someone who has that ability to rise above his circumstances and figure it out, figure out a way, and that comes from a level of like hunger that you have, or ambition, or drive, or perseverance, whatever word you want to use, and he has that.

Q: You still see yourself as an underdog?
A: In some ways. I still think people view me as a certain type of player, or there’s a lot of certain stereotypes me as a player that I think don’t give me the credit I feel like I deserve.
Modal Trigger
Lin blocks Orlando’s Mario Hezonja last season.Photo: AP

Q: What stereotype on the basketball court bothers you the most?
A: I feel like when people say I can’t play defense or something like that, if you look at the numbers, or if you look at things I’ve been able to do … people just assume like, “Oh, I’m not that quick,” or “Oh, I can’t jump that high,” whatever. I’ve been top one or two in blocks per minute at the point guard position for the last two [or] three seasons. People don’t see me as a great shot-blocking guard partially because they look at me, and they’re like, “There’s no way he could be.” Just a lot of the old stereotypes, like “He can’t go left,” or, “He turns the ball over.” I feel like a lot of times when I see what’s going on, I feel like people are just trying to describe what they remember from me as a player four years ago. A lot of the small tricks, or things that people might not see or be able to quantify in a stat, I feel like I’m able to do more and to be better in.

Q: If you could pick the brain of one person in basketball history, who would it be?
A: It would probably be Steve Nash, because I felt like what Nash did, and the things that he did, are the things that I need to learn to grow as a player. I would ask him about every facet of professional basketball.

Q: Do you think you can be an elite guard?
A: I do. I wouldn’t have signed up for a starting point guard position if I didn’t feel like I had that ability to get to another level as a player.

Q: You think the best is yet to come for Jeremy Lin?
A: Yeah, I’m 27. I’m going into the next three years [thinking they] should be the best years from an athletic prime standpoint. If you look at when NBA players peak, a lot of times it’s 27-30. Nash had his best years even after 30, 33, 34, playing unbelievable basketball, and that’s something that I want to know too, ’cause I can’t be 27 the rest of my life.

Q: Maybe you can make some Asian-American Knicks fans and make them Nets fans. Is that possible?
A: That’s possible, and it’s possible for me to make non-Asian-American Knicks fans Nets fans, but that’s not my goal. I’m not here to steal fans or whatever. I’m not even that concerned about it. I just want to play, I want to be happy playing, I want to play for God, I want to play the right way.
Modal Trigger
Front row (left to right): Joe Harris, Jeremy Lin, Caris LeVert. Back row: Trevor Booker, Anthony Bennett, Justin HamiltonPhoto: Anthony J. Causi

Q: Can you be an effective recruiter for this team in free agency?
A: Hopefully. I mean, we gotta turn things around and win more than 21 games for me to do that. But I know enough people, and I think I have friends in the league, and so I’ll be recruiting.

Q: Describe Brook Lopez.
A: He’s one of the least-talked-about really good players in the league, partially because the Nets just haven’t had the success to really push his name or validate and solidify what he has done.

Q: Did you pick owner Michael Jordan’s brain in Charlotte?
A: He’s just such a celebrity, like every time he’s around, he’s just like getting pulled in a bunch of different directions, and he’s getting bothered by everybody. So I didn’t get a chance to talk to him too much.

Q: What are your thoughts on Kevin Durant and the Warriors superteam?
A: Personally, as an NBA player, I was like, “Man, I hope that doesn’t happen,” just because it makes the league much more difficult, ’cause they were already 73-9 and now they have a top-five player in the NBA. But as a human being, I totally understand why he went. If they win two championships, three championships or whatever, in his mind, that would be like the best decision he ever made. And he’s giving himself the best chance to succeed at the highest level, like he’s worked so hard his whole life, who wouldn’t do that? If I was in position, and you told me, “Hey you can come here and you have a significantly higher chance of winning a championship,” I’m there.

Q: Was Kobe Bryant a good teammate?
A: To me, he always treated me well. He sent me a lot of text messages, he would watch film, he would talk to me about film, he’d talk to me about plays. And then, when he got hurt, we didn’t get to see him around as much.

Q: Kemba Walker.
A: He’s one of my favorite teammates I’ve ever had. He’s humble, he’s hard-working. … If you just hung out with him, you wouldn’t ever know he was a big-time NBA player. He treats people the right way, and he’s a competitor, man, he just wants to win.
Modal Trigger
Lin and Duncan in 2012Photo: AP

Q: Why did you admire Tim Duncan so much?
A: Because he doesn’t care about a lot of the other things that a lot of the other players care about, and he wants to win, he wants to do it the right way. When you think of a selfless leader, I would think of Tim Duncan.

Q: Brandon Jennings.
A: Explosive scorer, and very skilled, very talented offensively. He’s one of those guys who you just don’t want to let him even make one shot because if he does, it could be a long night.

Q: Courtney Lee.
A: I’ve been on two teams with him. Really like that guy. Ultimate competitor. Simple game, he just makes the right play. He’s a two-way player, he’ll make it happen on both ends of the floor as we saw in the playoffs as we saw this past year.

Q: Derrick Rose.
A: It’s unfortunate what he’s been through, but you can’t discount someone with that level of talent, and someone who’s accomplished what he’s accomplished. I have a hard time counting people like him out because he’s so driven, he’s seen and tasted that success, he knows what it takes, and he’ll probably have a big year.

Q: Joakim Noah.
A: To me, similar to [Greivis] Vasquez in the fieriness, the competitiveness, and he’ll do whatever it takes. He just plays his role, he’s one of those guys when you think of like, “Oh he knows what he’s good at, he just does that really really well,” that’s Noah.

Q: You being a Harvard guy, would a Harvard guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick turn down the kind of money the Jets are offering — $12 million first year, three years at $24 million?
A: It’s never what the money is right there, it’s more just what are your other options, and what do you feel like you’re worth? Is he worth more than that, if you compare what he’s done to other quarterbacks? I think so. But again, I’m not the Jets, I don’t know what their salary-cap situation is, I don’t know what their roster looks like. I’m not Fitzpatrick either. But if you’re asking me would a Harvard guy turn down that kind of money? If they thought that they could get more somewhere else or if they thought that this was a disrespectful slight, then yeah.

Q: What is it like being Jeremy Lin today as opposed to four years ago?
A: It’s definitely less hectic. I would say my quality of life is much better because I take life a lot slower, I take some things less seriously, and I just really try to enjoy each day.

Q: What drives you now?
A: I want to be a great player, I want to see how great I can be one on the court, and I also want to do big, big things off the court, and I know that platform comes from basketball.

Q: If you were NBA commissioner, you would …
A: I would consider making the season a little shorter.

Q: Who are athletes in other sports you admire?
A: I really admire the way Tony Dungy did things. I’ve kept tabs on Clayton Kershaw from a distance, and his personality and what he’s done.

Q: What was it about Dungy?
A: He talked about how like as a coach, he didn’t yell, and he didn’t cuss, but he was still able to command the respect of everybody. His players would run through a brick wall for him, and he had tremendous success. When people think of like, “What is a leader?” or “What does a competitor look like?” they think of a certain thing, and society has kind of memorialized certain personalities as, “Oh this is the way to succeed.” But some people aren’t built the same way, and that’s why I like Duncan, too. Big-time competitor. But he smiles, sometimes. He’s very stoic most of the time, and he very, very rarely gets outside of himself, and that’s more my personality.

Q: But a fire burns inside you.
A: If you listen to Duncan’s retirement thing, one of the things he said is, “I’m a big-time competitor, and you guys might not know it or understand it or see it, just because I don’t show it,” but to me how competitive you are isn’t how angry you get or how much you yell or how far you kick a ball when you get angry. I’m as competitive as they come in my opinion, I just like to smile, I like to have fun, and I don’t like to let opponents know that they’re in my head, and so I don’t show too much emotion when I’m really upset.
Modal Trigger
Lin and Anthony in 2012Photo: AP

Q: Mike D’Antoni and Amar’e Stoudemire have said it wasn’t working with you and Carmelo with the Knicks.
A: I never have had personal issues with him, I’ve never had any amount of conflict or disagreement or anything in person. I was a lot younger, a lot more naive with everything, and I was just trying to do my best to help us make the playoffs. So a lot of what people are saying, and what people have said, are kind of things that I’m piecing into the story as well. I’m not able to speculate on behalf of what someone else is saying, if that makes sense. I can only tell you my experience with Melo myself, and I’ve never had any issues with him.

Q: Three favorite Linsanity memories?
A: No. 1 was the 3-pointer against the Lakers in the corner in the fourth quarter. No. 2 had to have been the game-winner against the Raptors, and No. 3 had to be the breakout game against the Nets, that first game where I had a big-time career high, and after that game, they couldn’t cut me.

Q: How driven are you to win an NBA championship?
A: I’m very driven. I’m a very ambitious person. It’s not gonna happen overnight, it’s gonna take time, for sure. But If I didn’t think that there was the opportunity, or if the people here were capable of putting us in a position, then I don’t think I would have come.

Q: What would you want to tell Nets fans, Jeremy Lin fans and Asian-American fans.
A: Nets fans: We’re gonna need you guys every game loud and proud, and we want to give you a product that you haven’t had the last few years. Jeremy Lin fans: I would say just keep being you. I got the best fans, man. They fly across the country, I get more gifts than I know what to do with, I have suitcases full of gifts when I come back from Asia. And Asian-American fans: I would just say keep believing in what you feel like you can become and don’t let other people tell you, “You can’t be this, or can’t be that.” I think if you look in the sports industry or you look in entertainment and acting and different things like that, Asians are really cornered and put into this box, these type of roles or these type of players. Even for me, before I came along, Asians in basketball were just 7-foot tall dudes from China who people thought were just there because they were tall. We’re just gonna keep breaking stereotypes, keep doing things people didn’t think we could do. That’s what I would say to Asian-American fans.

CrushAlot
USA
7/25/2016  5:13 PM
Lin was on The Vertical Podcast today. I haven't listened to it but here is the link.
https://art19.com/shows/vertical-jj-redick/episodes/c9b55afd-af5f-462b-a9b8-bdb68a27e76f
dk7th
USA
7/25/2016  5:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/25/2016  5:54 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:sorry, crushalot, seems that nobody understands your post after all.
Here it is. Nothing to complex but the context was in relation to what you were writing a couple of pages back.
You are all over the place. First D'Antoni was gracious when he passed blame on his players for his not setting the line up the way he thought would best benefit the team and when he brushed over how much better the Knicks were once he left and cited circumstances changing because of injury and Woodson running the same sets. Now you are saying that he wasn't allowed to set his line ups or choose how his team played because of the owner? Come on now. Dolan outbid the Bulls for Mike. The Knicks drafted specific to his system and often took less talented players, they waived and traded guys he didn't want etc. The guy didn't present as having much of a back bone his entire tenure in NY and he certainly had total support from Donnie Walsh. When you can't rationally defend your arguments you always seem to throw Dolan in and blame him for things that could never be substantiated and are extemely far fetched.

you're merely reposting the same thing without rewriting or simplifying it. i am going to do your work for you but it will likely be the last time. you are pretty lazy, aren't you.

"First [you claim that] D'Antoni was being "gracious," when [in fact] he [was passing] blame [onto] his players for [their not allowing him to set] the line up the way *he* thought would best benefit the team [,] and [then], when he brushed over how much better the Knicks were once he left, he cited circumstances changing because of [Stoudemire's] injury, [pointing out that in fact] Woodson [was] running the same sets."

Is this what you are trying to say? It reads much more clearly than the gobbledygook nobody else dared to simplify on my behalf. But all you are doing is repeating that D'Antoni was passing blame, and I disagree. He simply admitted that his main players, who were not involved in the Linsanity run (and were notable by their absence to every Knicks fan with a pair of eyes, by the way) decided not to comply with their coach's plans. So the blame you claim he is doing is in direct relationship with your belief that he had the power to make them comply. This position is nonsense. Coaches are not bosses who can hire and fire their employees. Very few coaches have that kind of power, probably only Popovich.

"Now you are saying that he wasn't allowed to set his line ups or choose how his team played because of the owner? Come on now. Dolan outbid the Bulls for Mike."

Until Jeremy Lin came along, the Knicks lacked the sort of point guard that D'Antoni needed to run the offense. Who did he have before that?

Pre-Melo trade

Duhon and Robinson-- Duhon as the starting PG. Think about that.
Duhon, Robinson, and Douglas LOL
Raymond Felton, brought in on a reasonable 2-year audition contract. Think about that. Merely a stopgap.

There was nobody close in quality to the sort of pg that the coach needed in order to run his system. Here you can accuse him of being stubborn and rigid but he got that team to 29-27 with a good old fat Felton and a Stoudemire who insisted on going one on three. Felton was all pick and roll and no orchestrate. D'Antoni needed an orchestrator and FElton was not that.

Post-Melo trade

Billups and Carter, 34 and 35 respectively
Baron Davis, Mike Bibby, Toney Douglas, Iman Shumpert LOL

Finally, Lin gets his shot, brings the team to .500. Why? Because he is EXACTLY the type of point guard D'Antoni needed to run his team, after four and half seasons. I ask you to once again look at the point guards the Knicks had prior to Lin.

Now, as to Dolan's involvement: his outbidding for "Mike" is an irrelevant statement. Why? Because Dolan wanted Carmelo Anthony to become a Knick more than Walsh or D'Antoni. Agreed? And Dolan's "investment" in his special friend was far far more costly and important to him than either the GM or coach. Cool fact: Stern forced Dolan to hire a real GM instead of continuing the catastrophe that was Thomas. You can't leave that out. Once that trade was engineered, whatever power the GM and coach might have had up to that point was greatly reduced.

You do understand that, right? That the trade made Carmelo Anthony more powerful than both the GM and the coach?

The rest of your post is rendered a redundancy in the wake of what I have explained to you.

God bless.

CrushAlot
USA
7/25/2016  9:55 PM
^^^^I am not going to get into a quote fest but you posted a lot of things a couple of pages ago that I responded to. I thought you didn't respond because you didn't have an answer. These were your quotes that I was referring to. In regards to how D'Antoni came off in the interview you said,
i heard a pretty gracious person who realized he had lost the team and resigned once he realized it. once he saw how well lin did leading the knicks during that stretch, he wanted to make it lin's team and allow lin to play the way he, lin, wanted to play. apparently the adjustments required of melo and amare were too much to ask for the cause of winning or in service of winning, and the writing was on the wall.

I responded that I didn't see D'Antoni as gracious at all. He was soft spoken but he blamed his players for not wanting to change positions or go the bench. He never changed the line up. D'Antoni minimized the success Woodson had by saying I should have waited a few weeks because Amare got hurt anyway and Melo ended up at the 4. He also said that Woodson ran his sets. I am not sure how you were not able to understand being questioned on your point when it was contradicted by what D'Antoni said in the interview.
When asked if you preferred a coach quiting and throwing everyone under the bus without taking responsibility you said this'
i prefer chain of command and hierarchy but unfortunately in the nba, when the troops are being paid 100 times more than the generals you have these sorts of situations. in a healthy organization the players do what they are told, lest they acquire the reputation of being coach killers. for instance, when paul george groused about playing the 4 larry bird said "he don't make the decisions around here, i do." that's an example of how things work in a healthy, well-run organization. sadly, at that time for the knicks, it was dolan front and center. this was the same perverted scumbag dolan who was forced by stern to hire a real basketball person to replace the sick-headed malignant narcissist thomas. again, sadly, dolan still had not swallowed enough medicine, and since dolan was solely responsible for giving a hand job to melo, a power struggle resulted, wherefrom both walsh and d'antoni found the emergency exit by "resigning."

Sorry but I don't see you as having any responses that reflect actual event that happened in the past regarding the knicks or in the interview. Throwing out insults about Dolan doesn't make your point. Coaches set their line ups. Hoiberg benched Noah as a first year coach. It is hard to listen to a guy that didn't do what he thought needed to be done with his team and resigned in part because he 'didn't want to lose respect of some of the other players in the league'.
dk7th
USA
7/25/2016  11:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/25/2016  11:44 PM
CrushAlot wrote:^^^^I am not going to get into a quote fest but you posted a lot of things a couple of pages ago that I responded to. I thought you didn't respond because you didn't have an answer. These were your quotes that I was referring to. In regards to how D'Antoni came off in the interview you said,
i heard a pretty gracious person who realized he had lost the team and resigned once he realized it. once he saw how well lin did leading the knicks during that stretch, he wanted to make it lin's team and allow lin to play the way he, lin, wanted to play. apparently the adjustments required of melo and amare were too much to ask for the cause of winning or in service of winning, and the writing was on the wall.

I responded that I didn't see D'Antoni as gracious at all. He was soft spoken but he blamed his players for not wanting to change positions or go the bench. He never changed the line up. D'Antoni minimized the success Woodson had by saying I should have waited a few weeks because Amare got hurt anyway and Melo ended up at the 4. He also said that Woodson ran his sets. I am not sure how you were not able to understand being questioned on your point when it was contradicted by what D'Antoni said in the interview.
When asked if you preferred a coach quiting and throwing everyone under the bus without taking responsibility you said this'
i prefer chain of command and hierarchy but unfortunately in the nba, when the troops are being paid 100 times more than the generals you have these sorts of situations. in a healthy organization the players do what they are told, lest they acquire the reputation of being coach killers. for instance, when paul george groused about playing the 4 larry bird said "he don't make the decisions around here, i do." that's an example of how things work in a healthy, well-run organization. sadly, at that time for the knicks, it was dolan front and center. this was the same perverted scumbag dolan who was forced by stern to hire a real basketball person to replace the sick-headed malignant narcissist thomas. again, sadly, dolan still had not swallowed enough medicine, and since dolan was solely responsible for giving a hand job to melo, a power struggle resulted, wherefrom both walsh and d'antoni found the emergency exit by "resigning."

Sorry but I don't see you as having any responses that reflect actual event that happened in the past regarding the knicks or in the interview. Throwing out insults about Dolan doesn't make your point. Coaches set their line ups. Hoiberg benched Noah as a first year coach. It is hard to listen to a guy that didn't do what he thought needed to be done with his team and resigned in part because he 'didn't want to lose respect of some of the other players in the league'.

i took the time to parse your post and you're playing games. time to put you on ignore as well. you win, you are right. god bless

CrushAlot
USA
7/26/2016  12:23 AM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:^^^^I am not going to get into a quote fest but you posted a lot of things a couple of pages ago that I responded to. I thought you didn't respond because you didn't have an answer. These were your quotes that I was referring to. In regards to how D'Antoni came off in the interview you said,

i took the time to parse your post and you're playing games. time to put you on ignore as well. you win, you are right. god bless

You didn't answer my post in the context of what you were posting a couple of pages ago. I thought the context of why it was written was important. Hopefully your experience here is more enjoyable if you ignore enough people that disagree or call you out when you post fiction.

Since we won't be conversing anymore I need to thank you for posting some of the funniest things I have read on this forum. Good luck.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/26/2016  9:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/26/2016  9:46 PM
mreinman wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

because those good players were playing like boneheads and it did not have to be lin but any pg to take the ball out of those guys hands and set them up for much smarter shot attempts.

You hit me as the old guy at the Y who thinks he sets really good picks, boxes everyone out with a bit too much enthusiasm and thinks he is the best player on the floor because of it? Please tell me what a smart shot is? And remember it's 2016 not 1960. Grant it Melo may force a shot from time to time but what scorer in the league doesn't? Think you would be the guy in the stands booing the Warriors for all their so called bad shots. But let's stay on Lin. You claim to be a fan of fundamental basketball. Watch Lin play and tell me how many times the fundamental PG keeps his head down on drives with no awareness for open cutters. And explain why the guy that should have been put ahead of two All Stars went on to become a back up behind two mediocre point guards in Houston?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
mreinman
Member: #3189

7/26/2016  11:15 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
mreinman wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

You hit me as the old guy at the Y who thinks he sets really good picks, boxes everyone out with a bit too much enthusiasm and thinks he is the best player on the floor because of it? Please tell me what a smart shot is? And remember it's 2016 not 1960. Grant it Melo may force a shot from time to time but what scorer in the league doesn't? Think you would be the guy in the stands booing the Warriors for all their so called bad shots. But let's stay on Lin. You claim to be a fan of fundamental basketball. Watch Lin play and tell me how many times the fundamental PG keeps his head down on drives with no awareness for open cutters. And explain why the guy that should have been put ahead of two All Stars went on to become a back up behind two mediocre point guards in Houston?

I do love setting damn good picks as well as fundamental basketball ... I see you as a guy who will just chuck it from anywhere thinking that all his shots are as good as any ones and your teammates probably hate playing with you, warm?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/27/2016  8:05 AM
mreinman wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
mreinman wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

I do love setting damn good picks as well as fundamental basketball ... I see you as a guy who will just chuck it from anywhere thinking that all his shots are as good as any ones and your teammates probably hate playing with you, warm?

Not at all. Led my teams in assists most years actually. Think it's more the fact I respect the incredible level of natural talent needed to be one of the best all time scorers in the NBA. Your maybe a guy that clings to guys that play like you or how you think "Fundamental" basketball should be played. Refusing to give credit to guys that do things you maybe never could. But back to basketball.. a "Smart" shot? You did not elaborate. So Irving, Curry, LBJ, Thompson, Durant all take only smart shots? Curry takes 30 footers. Would you bring in Lin or any other smart PG to take ball out of his hands?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
“How Carmelo, Amar’e pushed Jeremy Lin out” Mike D’Antoni said in Woj podcast

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy