[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Melo Steps Forward
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
7/10/2016  9:49 PM
arkrud - using your logic, the stats justify random murder?

Cool. Have a nice evening.

once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/10/2016  9:55 PM
dk7th wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
misterearl wrote:arkrud - "In the interest of time, would ye noble patriots please provide a list of infractions punishable by spontaneous public execution?

This is not going reduce animosity, it will increase it.
The one thing, I see the most is how the tone of these discussions quickly change to accusatory and then "evidence" is provided to back up well established divisive rationale which drives people further and further apart. I am guilty of it too, it is very hard to completely avoid the language of one's peers, but we need to try. Quoting articles and do called journalism that is only geared towards one side if the conversation is unhelpful.

agreed. it's irresponsible.

It's a tragic accident with one man became a killer and another man died.
It's a failure of the procedure, of the system, and specific people.
It must go to the court of low and whoever is responsible must be prosecuted.
It must go to the court of public opinion to make sure we can start fixing the problems we have.
It should not became a tool for anyone political or personal agenda.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
arkrud
USA
7/10/2016  9:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/10/2016  10:03 PM
misterearl wrote:arkrud - using your logic, the stats justify random murder?

The stats justify nothing.
Not the stats you presented and not the stats I presented.
They help to understand why things are happening this way or another.
And in this respect both my and your stats tells the same sad story.
Police is at war with crime and war kills people.
Some who fight and some who just were unfortunate bystanders.
So what your solution - dissolve police and have people protect themselves?
How many more people you then expect to be dead every day?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/10/2016  10:18 PM
arkrud wrote:

Please explain how getting shot during a routine traffic stop fits into the police's "war on crime"?

arkrud
USA
7/10/2016  10:27 PM
H1AND1 wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Please explain how getting shot during a routine traffic stop fits into the police's "war on crime"?

The same way as civilians are killed when war is going on.
Fighting sides soldiers are scared, angry, and tired of the fight.
So they kill innocent people.
I am not trying to take sides.
I just want to understand the reality of live.

holfresh
Member: #1081

7/10/2016  10:27 PM
arkrud wrote:
misterearl wrote:FACTORIAL

The disparities appear to be even starker for unarmed suspects, according to an analysis of 2015 police killings by the Guardian. Racial minorities made up about 37.4 percent of the general population in the US and 46.6 percent of armed and unarmed victims, but they made up 62.7 percent of unarmed people killed by police.

More than half of murders, rapes, robberies, aggravated assaults, burglaries, and fraud in US are committed by black Americans.
African Americans represent 13% of population.

http://civilrightsmovement.net/us-crime-statistics-by-race/
I know that there are unfortunate historical reasons for this.
But it clearly explains why law enforcement is getting into conflict and killing black people more that anybody else.

I had to come out of retirement for this one...Maybe you and CashMoney, who claims he works in the Criminal Justice system but goes to a Financial website to get stats on Crime, need a few pointers on where to find stats to support your arguments...

According to the FBI, the people who are responsible for gathering these stats, as of 2014:

1. Whites in America commits 69.4% of all crime versus 27.8% by blacks
2. Whites in America commits 59.4% of all violent crimes versus 37.7% by blacks..Cash Money had non-whites including blacks committing 90% of all violent crimes...

According to a study by the Washington Post, Unarmed blacks are 7 times as likely to killed by police than unarmed whites...SEVEN TIMES!!!!

In 2015, The Post documented 990 fatal shootings by police, 93 of which involved people who were unarmed. Black men accounted for about 40 percent of the unarmed people fatally shot by police and, when adjusted by population, were seven times as likely as unarmed white men to die from police gunfire, The Post found.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-43
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/study-finds-police-fatally-shoot-unarmed-black-men-at-disproportionate-rates/2016/04/06/e494563e-fa74-11e5-80e4-c381214de1a3_story.html
arkrud
USA
7/10/2016  10:41 PM
holfresh wrote:
arkrud wrote:

The disparities appear to be even starker for unarmed suspects, according to an analysis of 2015 police killings by the Guardian. Racial minorities made up about 37.4 percent of the general population in the US and 46.6 percent of armed and unarmed victims, but they made up 62.7 percent of unarmed people killed by police.

More than half of murders, rapes, robberies, aggravated assaults, burglaries, and fraud in US are committed by black Americans.

But it clearly explains why law enforcement is getting into conflict and killing black people more that anybody else.

I had to come out of retirement for this one...Maybe you and CashMoney, who claims he works in the Criminal Justice system but goes to a Financial website to get stats on Crime, need a few pointers on where to find stats to support your arguments...

According to the FBI, the people who are responsible for gathering these stats, as of 2014:

2. Whites in America commits 59.4% of all violent crimes versus 37.7% by blacks..Cash Money had non-whites including blacks committing 90% of all violent crimes...

According to a study by the Washington Post, Unarmed blacks are 7 times as likely to killed by police than unarmed whites...SEVEN TIMES!!!!

In 2015, The Post documented 990 fatal shootings by police, 93 of which involved people who were unarmed. Black men accounted for about 40 percent of the unarmed people fatally shot by police and, when adjusted by population, were seven times as likely as unarmed white men to die from police gunfire, The Post found.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-43
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/study-finds-police-fatally-shoot-unarmed-black-men-at-disproportionate-rates/2016/04/06/e494563e-fa74-11e5-80e4-c381214de1a3_story.html

Thank You.
The correction is taken...
Pretty close correlation between violent crimes and unarmed black people killed by police.

arkrud
USA
7/10/2016  10:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/10/2016  10:45 PM
Also an example of country which do not have this issues:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25201471
A study of the Icelandic class system done by a University of Missouri master's student found only 1.1% of participants identified themselves as upper class, while 1.5% saw themselves as lower class.
The remaining 97% identified themselves as upper-middle class, lower-middle class, or working class.

Police are unarmed, too. The only officers permitted to carry firearms are on a special force called the Viking Squad, and they are seldom called out.

The country ranks 15th in the world in terms of legal per capita gun ownership. However, acquiring a gun is not an easy process -steps to gun ownership include a medical examination and a written test.

We have a lot to learn on how to be a better people.
holfresh
Member: #1081

7/10/2016  11:06 PM
arkrud
USA
7/10/2016  11:19 PM
holfresh wrote:

Good.
Sounds like we are getting better with time.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/10/2016  11:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/10/2016  11:38 PM
holfresh wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Curious if they also provide data on chances of unarmed people getting physically abused by the police even if it doesn't result in death? I think that's going to be s pretty high percentage as well.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/11/2016  12:20 AM

Piggybacking on Anthony?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

7/11/2016  12:23 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Seems that most political activism from "celebrities," and a guy like Melo is a celebrity, has come out of the arts.

I know that Jimmy Brown always used to get on guys like Jordan and OJ for taking no stands politically while they were active. Jabbar was outspoken politically in his day, but you rarely see athletes doing anything these days.

Anthony touched on it when he talked about how there should be no concern over losing endorsements- that might have been directed toward a guy like Jordan, who spoke about the fact that both Democrats and Republicans bought his sneakers.

Despite what Barkley said years ago, athletes are role models for younger people, and what they say and how they carry themselves can influence people- especially young people. Was also happy to hear Noah comment on what is happening.

Have to feel a little proud that this is coming from a local NYC pro athlete, and you hope that a number of prominent stars, both black and white, get involved.

Anthony's letter hit the right notes, I think...I just feel that there needs to be a concerted effort to organize a movement, or he's just going to be spitting into the wind.

Political action and economic actions such as boycotts must be considered, and athletes might have to sacrifice time and even money for the cause.

I still find the moment below to be one of the most stirring that I ever witnessed. I was only 13 when it happened, and being a white boy living in a white town in Long Island, I don't think I fully understood the meaning of the gesture, but the image still sticks into my head, and as an adult, I more fully understand what it took for Carlos and Smith to do what they did.

Will be interested to see if Anthony has set off an "Athletes Summer" that leads to some positive and enduring change.

I think it is especially important to note the men who also stood up for human dignity on issues that they themselves did not have to comfront. Peter Norman is the white man (Australian) in that photo and was also an individual that was willing to speak out against racial injustices in sports and beyond. You might not notice it but he has a pin for the "Human Dignity Project" on his shirt in that very same picture and was basically ostracized/alienated by the Aussie Olympic committees until the day he died because of it. I heard that they wouldn't even publically recognize him until fairly recently (after his death) despite being one of their all-time best athletes. Here's a CNN article about him... http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/24/sport/olympics-norman-black-power/

Like I said, my heroes and allies represent the rainbow. Unfortunately, my enemies- including the ones that share my skin tone-do as well too.

Wow...had not know about this one.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/11/2016  12:37 AM
CashMoney wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
CashMoney wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:What's sad now is that all the stereotyping and biased are being made to be true. Black people killing police because they are police will cause police to be more trigger happy with black people in general, So both sides will be right. Blacks will be more dangerous to police officers on the job and police officers will be more dangerous to black people. This will be fed and encouraged by our politicians and media. No way out of this one.

Police were already trigger-happy with Black people. That's why we've reached this boiling point. Even my Bryant Gumbel-sounding ass has had a police officer threaten to draw on him because I reached for my ID....which the idiot instructed me to do. I guess speeding 15mph over the limit (on a ****ing parkway) makes me a dangerous criminal.

Statistically speaking whites are killed more often by police than black people. Non whites (blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc.) commit 90% of all violent crime in the USA. Since white people commit less violent crime yet are killed more often by police one could argue that being white is more likely to get you killed by police.

I find it interesting that the main stream media is all over the MN and LA shooting but little attention is being given to the black off duty officer that shot and killed an unarmed black man in Brooklyn or the Fresno shooting where police shot and killed Dylan Noble, an unarmed white teenager.

I could get more into this as well as media bias and BS but have to leave for work but I'll be happy to discuss further manana if I have any takers. BTW, not trying to stir anything up but as a minority and a member of law enforcement I'm finding it harder and harder to hold my tongue.

And since it seems you're unaware of the context for the outrage being felt across the country, this video will help clarify...

This is exactly what I'm talking about. There is no proof that black people with guns are killed more often than white people with guns. Every police interaction with an armed suspect does not result in a shooting death regardless of race.

I've got a lot to say on this subject but I rather just let this all play out. If Hillary is who panders to radical groups wins this garbage will go one for at least another 4-8yrs.

There are plenty of instances of young white kids being shot and killed by police. And 99.9 percent of the time they were not being 100% cooperative. Being a cop isn't easy. Especially in high crime areas where everyone if killing each other.

So google it, youtube it. You don't see when white kids are shot and killed because it doesn't fit the current narrative.

I'm just waiting for opportunist terrorists to seize the opportunity to kill us all during another protest that distracts the entire cities police force from protecting all Americans.

Cops need to take a stand and not go to work for a day. Let everyone kill each other as I watch from the safety of my home

gunsnewing
USA
7/11/2016  12:39 AM
meloanyk wrote:The offshoot of these tragic and wrongful incidents is that police in general will be less likely to be involved and crime will rise and mostly impact the neighborhoods who can least afford withdrawal of proper policing

I hope this happens like tomorrow

gunsnewing
USA
7/11/2016  12:44 AM
Its a damn shame that this garbage rhetoric is inspiring psychopaths like Micah Johnson and many like him to kill innocent Americans. Killing Dallas cops who should be the national poster child for police and community relations
WaltLongmire

7/11/2016  1:09 AM
gunsnewing

I've got a lot to say on this subject but I rather just let this all play out. If Hillary is who panders to radical groups wins this garbage will go one for at least another 4-8yrs...

Its a damn shame that this garbage rhetoric is inspiring psychopaths like Micah Johnson and many like him to kill innocent Americans. Killing Dallas cops who should be the national poster child for police and community relations

So basically, you're blaming Clinton for the incident?!

Terrible thing that happened in Dallas, but to say something like this you must be channeling your inner Trump.

The person doing the most pandering is the fellow with the strange orange hair and pouting lips with the Mussolini facial expressions. There are enough things going on in the world to cause fear...not sure we need Trump or demagogues like him to stir things up even more..

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
7/11/2016  4:59 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:
misterearl wrote:
arkrud wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
arkrud wrote:Interesting that the discussion went into the same dead end of separation and hate.
No one talking about what brings us together but just about things that divide us.
Everyone has an argument which proves some group of people being victimized and another being an oppressor.
If some white people suck so all white people suck, and if some black people suck so all black people suck.
The only thing that can bring us together is the law to which everyone is unanswerable regardless of who he is.
This is the only known way for society to survive.
If low is bad, outdated, did not serve the purpose anymore lets fight together to make it better.
I think this is what Melo message is about and this is exactly how athletes, celebs, whoever can approach the solution.
This how slavery and segregation came to the end and this how race inequality of today should be resolved.

African Americans have been voicing there concern over these issues for yrs upon yrs upon yrs. Only to be told that there are no problems. That we are only playing the victim. What would have brought us together would have been general care for our well being. If instead of claiming were acting as victims. Investigation and research to actually see if the complaints are valid and justified should have been the response. Then actual solutions be put in place to fix these issues. Showing understanding and effort which all could have been happening over the yrs to avoid where we are now. Shit had to hit the fan though instead and a boiling point had to be reached for ppl to now claim to want to come together. And even that might just be a hustle waiting foebish to blow over.

The ideal of us being one has been the hustle African Americans have been falling for since segregation has ended. And while it is the ideal senario. Prove that we are one with actual results that back it.

The prove is millions of African American and African emigrants of 20-21 century who work every possible way of live in US and are as successful as any other Americans who leave there for generations and new emigrants. At the end is is always a personal effort, the family effort, and community effort.
Do we have plenty of bigots of any color and national descent? Sure. Do we have low broken and disregarded, and not enforced. Absolutely.
Is this the reasons to kill each other? No its not.
It is the reason to talk about it and use any possible platform to make it better.

arkrud - your meandering response is tone deaf and lacks nuance.

"In the interest of time, would ye noble patriots please provide a list of infractions punishable by spontaneous public execution? Thanks!"

Getting into a physical alteration with someone who has firearm.

Not being still when a police officer has a weapon drawn and tells you to do so.

These fall mostly under Darwinian precepts.

Would you mind telling me what Darwin has to do with this?

Both actions are stupid and get you removed from the gene pool.
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
7/11/2016  5:04 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
meloanyk wrote:The offshoot of these tragic and wrongful incidents is that police in general will be less likely to be involved and crime will rise and mostly impact the neighborhoods who can least afford withdrawal of proper policing

I hope this happens like tomorrow

It's happening right now in Chicago.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/11/2016  5:32 AM
arkrud wrote:
dk7th wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
misterearl wrote:arkrud - "In the interest of time, would ye noble patriots please provide a list of infractions punishable by spontaneous public execution?

This is not going reduce animosity, it will increase it.
The one thing, I see the most is how the tone of these discussions quickly change to accusatory and then "evidence" is provided to back up well established divisive rationale which drives people further and further apart. I am guilty of it too, it is very hard to completely avoid the language of one's peers, but we need to try. Quoting articles and do called journalism that is only geared towards one side if the conversation is unhelpful.

agreed. it's irresponsible.

It's a tragic accident with one man became a killer and another man died.
It's a failure of the procedure, of the system, and specific people.
It must go to the court of low and whoever is responsible must be prosecuted.
It must go to the court of public opinion to make sure we can start fixing the problems we have.
It should not became a tool for anyone political or personal agenda.

I think you guys are miss understanding Earl. I took his quote as saying did the actions of the civilians(provide list of infractions) who were killed by the police worthy of death(punishable by death). I think you guys read "public execution" as trying to kill officers.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
OT: Melo Steps Forward

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy