OT: Melo Steps Forward
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
7/22/2016  1:16 PM
Sarah Palin Is Hot

Looking at pics of Hillary in 08 and now , she has not aged gracefully. Those damn donuts strike again

Yup meloanyk, let's judge people based on their physical appearance. Yeah, that's the ticket.

once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
7/22/2016  1:18 PM
The Great White Hope

This fantasy megalomania, Trump as the magical savior, is the most ridiculous feature of Trump’s candidacy. What makes his acceptance speech new and different is that he offers more than just himself as the solution. He offers his supporters a restoration of the social order Obama inverted. Trump’s election will not only make Trump the president, it will represent white America attaining the necessary level of collective consciousness, rising as one."

- Johnathan Chait

once a knick always a knick
holfresh
Member: #1081

7/22/2016  1:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2016  1:25 PM
Knickoftime wrote:More fun with Trump quiz.

To what publication is he referring?

“This was a magazine that, in many respects, should be well respected,” Trump said. “I mean if that was The New York Times, they would have gotten Pulitzer Prizes for their reporting.”

National Enquirer referencing Ted Cruz father on the cover with Lee Harvey Oswald...This was today, the day after the convention...He won't let it go...He also said he just made the cover of Time magazine for the 6th time..4th since running for office, goes to show you politics is more important than real estate, he says...He said he thinks it's great...The coverage he is getting is great..He also bought in a guy to report his twitter, Instagram and Facebook following...He said Bill O'Rielly said there hasn't been a politician like him...

FYI...Narcissism is a clinical condition...

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/22/2016  1:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2016  1:21 PM
This elections shows how little all public politicians including republicans, democrats, and president have to do with real power ruling this country.
The rule of law imposed and maintained by people who have a lot to lose is The Power.
And this is very comforting.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/22/2016  1:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2016  1:25 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Bill is likeable, its not just me.

I don't think it is just you.

That's the point.

Philandering (be in Bill or Trump) - that's cool.

But she didn't leave him - what'd a hypocritical shrew.

You're tapping into a very real and very common standard in terms of gender roles in this culture.

I've asked you to address the issue and all you've said it, "it isn't just me".

And I agree with you.

GWB

Of course you do. Give me some specifics about his intellect. Facts, please.

Sure. I said it was a belief and I'll tell you what it's based on, independent of the facts about this relative academic achievements.

I've never seen George Bush express a nuanced thought. And I'm not exaggerating. He speaks in single thoughts ... almost exclusively in single sentences strung together. I've never witnessed him explain a complicated idea. I've never witnessed him introduce a new idea or cast any ideas in a new light.

Try to picture thinkers you admire speaking in public, engaging in expressing their ideas. Does this describe Bush at all?

Even his supporters recognize this and call him a "plain spoken." But I think it's perfectly fair to question whether a plain speaker is a plainer thinker.

I made a point to question his relative intelligence. I'm not saying he's stupid, but I've never seen evidence he is a deep thinker - that ideas are a passion for him, and it is plainly recognizable in those who it is a passion.

I also don't think there is evidence of an active intellect before, during (he took record vacations) or post-presidency. IN his post-presidential life, he has not gravitated towards a signature cause as many presidents do.

I just don't see any evidence of an active, curious mind.

GWB is an avid reader and has taken up art in his post presidency. He also has had the respect for the office and stayed out of the way and not commented on issues that BO deals with unlike what WJC did to him. [/b]

Paul Ryan has a mind. John Kasich has a mind. Gingrich is a thinker. I don't like many of their thoughts, but I don't dismiss anyone on he right as being stupid. George Bush simply doesn't present as a serious thinker. BUsh Doctrine is attributed to him. There is some thought there, agree or disagree

He is socially intelligent? Clearly and that's a legitimate form of intelligence. Connecting people is hard. He could clearly do it better than Gore, who could and did run circles around him intellectually. OPINION

And on that note...

Satire? No Way! That is pure hatred for the man shrouded in artistic expression.

SNL savaged Al Gore. Many thought the famous SNL debate skits played worse for him than they did for Bush. "Lock box" was as much a buzzphrase as "strategery."

You're reaching here.

Also, that is weak. AL Gore and his lock box on one show compared to hundreds of shows and references to GWB. Not the same. You are reaching hard.

As for your GWB diatribe, those are all your opinions, not facts. I'll add the opinion of someone who has spoken to him.

http://keithhennessey.com/2013/04/24/smarter/

Since you seem to put weight in those with direct access/interaction, do you have any reason to dismiss this person?

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/trumps-remorseful-ghostwriter

Yes, and as you say, we can play this game all day.

Indeed we can. But you brought this sort of logic into the discourse, i did not.

As you indirectly acknowledge, you will arbitrarily offer what first hand account appeals to you, and arbitrarily reject those who do not (which I why I didn't put weight into it in the first place), making the entire exercise futile.

So you shouldn't have done it the first time if you were going to be hypocritical about it, is the point.

What are you even talking about?

I thought it was perfectly clear.

You gave weight to Keith Hennessey's personal assessment of George Bush over mine, so wouldn't you logically then give Tony Schwartz's personal assessment of Donald Trump weight over your own?

And if not, why?

I love how you selectively edit things.

this was my last post.

What are you even talking about? I ask you for facts, you give me your opinion. That is the point. Now you call me the hypocrite? You refuse to acknowledge your own hypocrisy.

I asked you for FACTS about his intelligence, you talk about from afar he seems like he is not a "nuanced thinker". I blow up your theory by saying someone who KNOWS him disagrees with your opinion. Opinions are like *******s, we all have one.

Besides that I then offer a few facts that directly spoke to your claim that GWB does not seem to have interest in intellectual things.

And YOU TOTALLY IGNORE IT!

GWB is an avid reader and has taken up art in his post presidency. He also has had the respect for the office and stayed out of the way and not commented on issues that BO deals with unlike what WJC did to him.

So I see how you play the game...pepper me with questions and for facts and then answer back with your opinion again and ignore the facts that don't fit your narrative!

and you have audacity to call me a hypocrite.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/22/2016  1:24 PM
martin wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:He's more than just a show man. Show man doesn't win the Republican nomination with record numbers. He wins using common sense in mostly everything he does. Common sense something Americans have been calling for from our politicians for a long time and Hillary Clinton desperately lacks.

Sure, if you ignore all the lies.

guns, what common sense policies has he proposed? I literally can't find anything concrete

And I feel like he won the republican nomination cause the rest of the group was a clown show, that's not achievement to hang your hat on.

The specifics will be argued during the debates. Haven't heard much from Hillary either other than the usual petty media stuff the media digs up to deflect.

meloanyk
Member: #5615

7/22/2016  1:26 PM
misterearl wrote:Sarah Palin Is Hot

Looking at pics of Hillary in 08 and now , she has not aged gracefully. Those damn donuts strike again

Yup meloanyk, let's judge people based on their physical appearance. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Don't let your panic blind you to humor, we don't need you added to heart attack stats

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

7/22/2016  1:28 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
martin wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:He's more than just a show man. Show man doesn't win the Republican nomination with record numbers. He wins using common sense in mostly everything he does. Common sense something Americans have been calling for from our politicians for a long time and Hillary Clinton desperately lacks.

guns, what common sense policies has he proposed? I literally can't find anything concrete

And I feel like he won the republican nomination cause the rest of the group was a clown show, that's not achievement to hang your hat on.

The specifics will be argued during the debates. Haven't heard much from Hillary either other than the usual petty media stuff the media digs up to deflect.

No, that isn't good enough. YOU stated unsolicited that he is using common sense. Asked what common sense policies he's proposed, which is a perfectly fair, reasonable, relevant question, you defer.

Why? Why not explain what the specific policies are you think will benefit this country?

meloanyk

7/22/2016  1:31 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
martin wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Lot of crying today, I think some here need a good group hug . They forgot that Trump said he loves them

Knickoftime

7/22/2016  1:32 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:I asked you for FACTS about his intelligence, you talk about from afar he seems like he is not a "nuanced thinker". I blow up your theory by saying someone who KNOWS him disagrees with your opinion. Opinions are like *******s, we all have one.

Tony Schwartz spent a year shadowing Donald. He knows him and disagrees with your opinion.

So why do you accept Hennessy's insight on Bush but reject Schwartz insight on Trump. They both equally qualify for criteria you are valuing, direct access and personal, intimate knowledge.

Can you take a second to answer that fair question?

Apologies.

I know lots of avid readers i wouldn't let do my taxes, let alone run the country.

holfresh
Member: #1081

7/22/2016  1:56 PM
meloanyk

7/22/2016  2:00 PM
Shooting at a Munich Mall playing right into Trump's emphasis that he is the Law and Order candidate that will keep America safe. Wouldn't be surprised if there are calls for the USA Freedom Act and powers of NSA to be expanded
Knickoftime

7/22/2016  2:02 PM
meloanyk wrote:Shooting at a Munich Mall playing right into Trump's emphasis that he is the Law and Order candidate that will keep America safe.

So how Trump is going to do that doesn't matter?

You just claim an issue and a solution by yelling about it?

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/22/2016  2:13 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:I asked you for FACTS about his intelligence, you talk about from afar he seems like he is not a "nuanced thinker". I blow up your theory by saying someone who KNOWS him disagrees with your opinion. Opinions are like *******s, we all have one.

Tony Schwartz spent a year shadowing Donald. He knows him and disagrees with your opinion.

So why do you accept Hennessy's insight on Bush but reject Schwartz insight on Trump. They both equally qualify for criteria you are valuing, direct access and personal, intimate knowledge.

Apologies.

I know lots of avid readers i wouldn't let do my taxes, let alone run the country.

When did I reject Schwartz's insight? I never even mentioned it. My opinion of his opinion is that I would look at it closely and evaluate it using my own judgement from what I see. He may be right, that's fine. I have said from the beginning that I am not a fan of Trump and he scares me on several points. Please show me - where I have defended Trump? We have 2 bad choices. you will pick your poison and i will pick mine. I am sure I cannot change your mind and be sure, you will not change mine either.

As for your comment here:

You gave your opinion as to his intelligence and I have shown you facts to refute your opinons on top of an opinion of someone who worked with him . I know the facts dont fit your narrative but that doesn't make it less true.

The fact is that the man is interested in things because he reads a ton of books and like it or not that is a sign of intelligence. His art is another sign of an interest to expand his mind. Just Because he has not "impressed" YOU with his intellect does not mean it is not there. It is just a personal attack used by the left to be little the man. I get it, its politics.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/22/2016  2:30 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Apologies.

When did I reject Schwartz's insight? I never even mentioned it. My opinion of his opinion is that I would look at it closely and evaluate it using my own judgement from what I see. He may be right, that's fine. I have said from the beginning that I am not a fan of Trump and he scares me on several points. Please show me - where I have defended Trump? We have 2 bad choices. you will pick your poison and i will pick mine. I am sure I cannot change your mind and be sure, you will not change mine either.

You gave your opinion as to his intelligence and I have shown you facts to refute your opinons on top of an opinion of someone who worked with him . I know the facts dont fit your narrative but that doesn't make it less true.

The fact is that the man is interested in things because he reads a ton of books and like it or not that is a sign of intelligence. His art is another sign of an interest to expand his mind. Just Because he has not "impressed" YOU with his intellect does not mean it is not there. It is just a personal attack used by the left to be little the man. I get it, its politics.

GoNyGoNyGo, who do you think has been more poorly or unfairly treated? Obama or W?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knickoftime

7/22/2016  2:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2016  2:37 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:When did I reject Schwartz's insight?

Since you seem to put weight in those with direct access/interaction, do you have any reason to dismiss this person?
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/trumps-remorseful-ghostwriter

Yes, and as you say, we can play this game all day.

Did I misunderstand you when i asked if you have any reason to dismiss this person and you responded "yes" without qualification?

I am sure I cannot change your mind and be sure, you will not change mine either.

Ad you just identified the problem.

You're working a little too hard here, wanting to squeeze me into the perpetrators of the satirical caricature that offends you.

I have made it clear I have not claimed he is stupid, you just really seem to prefer it if I had.

And I don't know know exactly what your point is, if we're talking politics, the economic collapse 2008 happened during the culmination of his administration. 9/11 happened under his administration. The invasion of Irag happened during his administration, be a product of a lie or a failure of the intelligence it was sold on.

If you'd like to weigh his effectiveness as president independent of his personal intelligence, that is up to you.

All I've said it I question his intelligence in respects to the type of mind I think best suited for the job. And that is based as much on his actions than how he presents.

I'll be happy to rephrase to appease you. I question his intellectual ambition, and no, that he is an avid reader doesn't make me question that assessment.

The second he shows an ability to express an complex idea is maybe when I'll change my mind.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/22/2016  2:44 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
martin wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Yeah Trump gave us some ideas...

Cut taxes for the rich...build a lot of stuff trains/walls/ (no mention of Mexico paying for anything last night)...conquer outer space...publicly execute his rival, and lots of other stuff that he will do immediately as Emperor President.

Maybe put some money toward his buddy Peter Thiel's Seasteads...

One of the most unsettling speeches I have heard, and his speechwriter toned it down for the most part.

He should have played the "Governor" on The Walking Dead...perfect role for him.

Classic 20th century dictator stuff from him.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
meloanyk

7/22/2016  3:03 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
martin wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Yeah Trump gave us some ideas...

Cut taxes for the rich...build a lot of stuff trains/walls/ (no mention of Mexico paying for anything last night)...conquer outer space...publicly execute his rival, and lots of other stuff that he will do immediately as Emperor President.

Maybe put some money toward his buddy Peter Thiel's Seasteads...

One of the most unsettling speeches I have heard, and his speechwriter toned it down for the most part.

He should have played the "Governor" on The Walking Dead...perfect role for him.

Classic 20th century dictator stuff from him.

Stretching it a bit but I saw some disturbing parallels to speeches at the rally grounds but we do have more checks and balances. He doesn't surface without the climate created over the last few years

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/22/2016  3:06 PM
I 100% believe Mark Cuban nailed it. Trump's ideal situation is to lose the election and look like a good guy and patriot and potentially boost his net by 10x. It fits. No way Trump wants this job, he just wants to win, be POTUS and win. Also he wants to people to recognize he won.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
DrAlphaeus
Alba Posts: 10
Member: #1781

7/22/2016  3:08 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2016  3:11 PM
Since this has turned into a presidential race thread, I'll say this:

I was surprised by Ivanka's speech and the nods towards women and mothers in the workplace, Thiel's Silicon Valley Log Cabin out and proud moment and dismissal of the bathroom laws, and Trump's honest admission here:

At RNC, Trump Gets Self-Reflective On Evangelical Support
For one moment, Trump was far from his signature unrelenting bombast.
JULY 22, 2016 By Mary Katharine Ham
http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/22/at-rnc-trump-gets-self-reflective-on-evangelical-support/

Donald Trump surprised his audience a couple times during his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention Thursday. He didn’t enter to any notable special effects. He remained calm and stuck to the TelePrompter for most of the speech.

But one time he strayed, ad libbing for a moment in the most unexpected way. In talking about the support he had received from evangelical voters, Trump got introspective.

At this moment, I would like to thank the evangelical and religious community in general who have been so good to me and so supportive,” he said, adding “and I’m not sure I totally deserve it.”

And also this:

Republican Platform Calls for Repeal of Ban on Political Organizing by Churches
Elizabeth Dias @elizabethjdias July 14, 2016
http://time.com/4406567/republican-platform-johnson-amendment-churches-political-organizing/

Early Wednesday morning, Donald Trump called Jerry Falwell Jr. and woke him up with news the Liberty University president has long been waiting to hear. The new Republican platform, the GOP nominee told Falwell, calls for the repeal of a half-century-old tax law prohibiting churches and tax-exempt institutions from political organizing.

“He was so excited,” Falwell says. “After 30 years of the so-called conservative leaders who have been elected by evangelicals, none of them thought to advocate for the repeal of the Johnson amendment, giving evangelical leaders political free speech. … He thinks it is going to be a revolution in the Christian world.”

It was a strange mix of liberal talking points, anti-interventionism, pro-trade war, strongman law and order Big Daddy appeal, with red meat for the evangelical base policy-wise, with his VP pick, with his Supreme Court nominee list. Even letting Ted Cruz speak was a sort of concession to the evangelicals which he needs... was him walking onto the floor during Cruz's slight and witnessing the chaotic scene at Cruz's feet a bit of stagecraft?

Michael Moore said this week on Bill Maher he thinks Trump is going to win. A few more scary law & order events in the news plus the 50/50 state of the polls... things are gonna get weird. I hope Hillary is ready for it. But it was a good night for the Log Cabin Republicans at least! Long suffering members finally getting some prime time validation from their party.

Baba Booey 2016 — "It's Silly Season"
OT: Melo Steps Forward

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy