OT: Melo Steps Forward
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/9/2016  3:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/9/2016  3:14 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:The world is slowly going to hell in front if our eyes. Too much hatred, mistrust, conspiracy and violence. We need action but it's hard to define what action. Feels like more and more people are becoming less and less reasonable everyday. The media is just playing along, our leadership is broken, they have no political capital or goodwill left. There is also a lot more stress on people in their day to day lives than ever before, so everyone is already on edge all the time. People's faith in things that used to work is eroding fast. If there is a solution it will come from people coming together and declaring war on anything and everything that divides us. Good to see Melo's speech.

...the world's been going to hell for a long time. At this point, the only thing that seriously poses a threat to ending it all is global warming/climate change. That aside, what we're seeing happen socially is nothing new....we are just more conscious of the world around us because of technological advancements and the fact that a select few no longer have the ability to whitewash events and control narratives.

So now you're able to see that Black people haven't been lying for centuries about police brutality and the widespread influence of systemic racist. Now you're able to understand the scope of the military industrial complex and see how it leads us into bogus wars. Etc.

I completely agree with the second paragraph of your post. I don't disagree with the first but I feel it doesn't address the full scope of the problem. All the things causing long term damage have been around as you correctly pointed out. But there are troubling new trends where feelings of anger and hatred that always simmered below the surface in isolation are being expressed and often finding support. The media instigated need to find other people at fault for the mess that our lives are has grown roots so deep that we are seeing the fulll impact of it now. Trump still polls over 45%. That's 45% of the adult population openly condoning racism and bigotry and vocally and violently defending both. Trump doesn't even bother to deny being racist and xenophobic, he actually doubles down on those positions. The impunity with which he can do that really exposed the depth of the underlying hatred in our society.

...but Trump is just using the same playbook that Republicans have utilized on a national level for more than 50 years. Look no further than the Nixon Southern Strategy and you will have all the underlying racist, xenophobic and anti-WASP rhetoric that Trump is utilizing today. And they were open about it as well. Who can forget Reagan's "welfare queens" propaganda for example? Hell, men that were famously anti-civil rights were given cabinet positions in his administration, which ultimately informed the party's platform on social issues moving forward.

They (the party's establishment figures) have only recently given a flying **** about what Brown peoples think about this hate speech because the demographics are shifting quickly, which has left them exposed in areas of the country Republicans thought they were electorally safe in e.g. Florida and areas of the midwest. Now, you have Rand Paul's goofy ass trying to pander to minorities without truly understanding how to make inroads into these communities.

AUTOADVERT
NardDogNation
Member: #5555

7/9/2016  3:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/9/2016  3:16 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Seems that most political activism from "celebrities," and a guy like Melo is a celebrity, has come out of the arts.

I know that Jimmy Brown always used to get on guys like Jordan and OJ for taking no stands politically while they were active. Jabbar was outspoken politically in his day, but you rarely see athletes doing anything these days.

Anthony touched on it when he talked about how there should be no concern over losing endorsements- that might have been directed toward a guy like Jordan, who spoke about the fact that both Democrats and Republicans bought his sneakers.

Despite what Barkley said years ago, athletes are role models for younger people, and what they say and how they carry themselves can influence people- especially young people. Was also happy to hear Noah comment on what is happening.

Have to feel a little proud that this is coming from a local NYC pro athlete, and you hope that a number of prominent stars, both black and white, get involved.

Anthony's letter hit the right notes, I think...I just feel that there needs to be a concerted effort to organize a movement, or he's just going to be spitting into the wind.

Political action and economic actions such as boycotts must be considered, and athletes might have to sacrifice time and even money for the cause.

I still find the moment below to be one of the most stirring that I ever witnessed. I was only 13 when it happened, and being a white boy living in a white town in Long Island, I don't think I fully understood the meaning of the gesture, but the image still sticks into my head, and as an adult, I more fully understand what it took for Carlos and Smith to do what they did.

Will be interested to see if Anthony has set off an "Athletes Summer" that leads to some positive and enduring change.

I think it is especially important to note the men who also stood up for human dignity on issues that they themselves did not have to comfront. Peter Norman is the white man (Australian) in that photo and was also an individual that was willing to speak out against racial injustices in sports and beyond. You might not notice it but he has a pin for the "Human Dignity Project" on his shirt in that very same picture and was basically ostracized/alienated by the Aussie Olympic committees until the day he died because of it. I heard that they wouldn't even publically recognize him until fairly recently (after his death) despite being one of their all-time best athletes. Here's a CNN article about him... http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/24/sport/olympics-norman-black-power/

Like I said, my heroes and allies represent the rainbow. Unfortunately, my enemies- including the ones that share my skin tone-do as well too.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/9/2016  3:33 PM
Melo steps up again.
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

7/9/2016  4:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/9/2016  5:04 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Melo steps up again.

Yes, have to give him props for doing this. Society and especially young people need every bit off leadership they can get. The corrupt politicians can't provide any. Athletes can use their brand recognition in a positive way to fill that void. This is big deal, hope he starts to act like he said he and others should so that this too doesn't become empty rhetoric.

Ugh so many typos

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
7/9/2016  6:56 PM
1) the nra needs to be demolished and gun shows heavily proctored where all invitees are thoroughly checked.
2) the second amendment needs to be re-written to ban semi-automatic weapons from both citizenry and the regular police forces. possessors of any such weapons should be tried for treason and put in jail for lengthy prison terms. **** "originalism."
3) marijuana needs to be legalized and heavily regulated and taxed
4) the very wealthiest should be taxed heavily and the majority of funds should be diverted to pre-k through grammar school programs for inner city minorities
5) teachers in inner city pre-k through grammar school programs should be amply rewarded to the degree they are trained and vetted for this work
6) police forces must be representative of the communities they are meant to serve, and if a demographic changes rapidly, such as in ferguson, then the policemen need to be relocated to other communities or furloughed by some federal oversight. this is similar to members of the army and their families.
7) every citizen between the ages of 18-24 must serve in the military for two years in a defensive capacity, defending our borders and ports.

that would be a good start.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/9/2016  8:21 PM
On a side note, this century really sucks. Never thought I would miss the 20th century. Don't mean from a personal standpoint, just all the bad things going on today.

Props again to Melo for using his voice to make a difference.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/9/2016  9:02 PM
Interesting that the discussion went into the same dead end of separation and hate.
No one talking about what brings us together but just about things that divide us.
Everyone has an argument which proves some group of people being victimized and another being an oppressor.
If some white people suck so all white people suck, and if some black people suck so all black people suck.
The only thing that can bring us together is the law to which everyone is unanswerable regardless of who he is.
This is the only known way for society to survive.
If low is bad, outdated, did not serve the purpose anymore lets fight together to make it better.
I think this is what Melo message is about and this is exactly how athletes, celebs, whoever can approach the solution.
This how slavery and segregation came to the end and this how race inequality of today should be resolved.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/10/2016  7:39 AM
arkrud wrote:Interesting that the discussion went into the same dead end of separation and hate.
No one talking about what brings us together but just about things that divide us.
Everyone has an argument which proves some group of people being victimized and another being an oppressor.
If some white people suck so all white people suck, and if some black people suck so all black people suck.
The only thing that can bring us together is the law to which everyone is unanswerable regardless of who he is.
If low is bad, outdated, did not serve the purpose anymore lets fight together to make it better.
I think this is what Melo message is about and this is exactly how athletes, celebs, whoever can approach the solution.
This how slavery and segregation came to the end and this how race inequality of today should be resolved.

African Americans have been voicing there concern over these issues for yrs upon yrs upon yrs. Only to be told that there are no problems. That we are only playing the victim. What would have brought us together would have been general care for our well being. If instead of claiming were acting as victims. Investigation and research to actually see if the complaints are valid and justified should have been the response. Then actual solutions be put in place to fix these issues. Showing understanding and effort which all could have been happening over the yrs to avoid where we are now. Shit had to hit the fan though instead and a boiling point had to be reached for ppl to now claim to want to come together. And even that might just be a hustle waiting foebish to blow over.

The ideal of us being one has been the hustle African Americans have been falling for since segregation has ended. And while it is the ideal senario. Prove that we are one with actual results that back it.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
arkrud
USA
7/10/2016  9:36 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
arkrud wrote:Interesting that the discussion went into the same dead end of separation and hate.

African Americans have been voicing there concern over these issues for yrs upon yrs upon yrs. Only to be told that there are no problems. That we are only playing the victim. What would have brought us together would have been general care for our well being. If instead of claiming were acting as victims. Investigation and research to actually see if the complaints are valid and justified should have been the response. Then actual solutions be put in place to fix these issues. Showing understanding and effort which all could have been happening over the yrs to avoid where we are now. Shit had to hit the fan though instead and a boiling point had to be reached for ppl to now claim to want to come together. And even that might just be a hustle waiting foebish to blow over.

The ideal of us being one has been the hustle African Americans have been falling for since segregation has ended. And while it is the ideal senario. Prove that we are one with actual results that back it.

The prove is millions of African American and African emigrants of 20-21 century who work every possible way of live in US and are as successful as any other Americans who leave there for generations and new emigrants. At the end is is always a personal effort, the family effort, and community effort.
Do we have plenty of bigots of any color and national descent? Sure. Do we have low broken and disregarded, and not enforced. Absolutely.
Is this the reasons to kill each other? No its not.
It is the reason to talk about it and use any possible platform to make it better.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
7/10/2016  9:39 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:

African Americans as a whole have to show the care about equality and justice too. The silence on black on black crime and making your heroes people like Michael Brown shows that some of the outrage is just Black racial bias. No matter how many deminstrations or tweets are generated there is no reconciliation possible in this climate.

arkrud
USA
7/10/2016  10:11 AM
nykshaknbake wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

African Americans as a whole have to show the care about equality and justice too. The silence on black on black crime and making your heroes people like Michael Brown shows that some of the outrage is just Black racial bias. No matter how many deminstrations or tweets are generated there is no reconciliation possible in this climate.

There are a lot of African Americans who voice their concerns about black community issues but they are painted like traitors by a bunch of "black leaders" who use issues of their people to make money and political capital. They are the worst enemies African Americans have. There are bunch of white folks who are into the same business. We should talk with each other without this middleman and ultimately ask this "leaders" to go f..ck themselves.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/10/2016  10:42 AM
Good for Melo.
blkexec
Member: #748
7/10/2016  11:08 AM
Body cameras reduce the amount of police brutality. Body cameras are extremely difficult to dislodge during police and community interactions.

In LA the body camera for both police officers were removed.

The camera that the young lady filmed on facebook live was thrown to the ground and destroyed by police.

Similar to everybody's fear of islamic terroist infiltrating the US. What about the US ignoring the domestic infiltration of racism throughout the criminal justice system and police force.

But congrats to melo for standing up on racial issues in America and on a smaller scale, standing up to phil jackson by pressing him to speed up his team building strategy.

Melo has grown a lot during his years as a knick.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
CashMoney
Member: #3374
USA
7/10/2016  12:28 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
CashMoney wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:What's sad now is that all the stereotyping and biased are being made to be true. Black people killing police because they are police will cause police to be more trigger happy with black people in general, So both sides will be right. Blacks will be more dangerous to police officers on the job and police officers will be more dangerous to black people. This will be fed and encouraged by our politicians and media. No way out of this one.

Police were already trigger-happy with Black people. That's why we've reached this boiling point. Even my Bryant Gumbel-sounding ass has had a police officer threaten to draw on him because I reached for my ID....which the idiot instructed me to do. I guess speeding 15mph over the limit (on a ****ing parkway) makes me a dangerous criminal.

Statistically speaking whites are killed more often by police than black people. Non whites (blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc.) commit 90% of all violent crime in the USA. Since white people commit less violent crime yet are killed more often by police one could argue that being white is more likely to get you killed by police.

I find it interesting that the main stream media is all over the MN and LA shooting but little attention is being given to the black off duty officer that shot and killed an unarmed black man in Brooklyn or the Fresno shooting where police shot and killed Dylan Noble, an unarmed white teenager.

I could get more into this as well as media bias and BS but have to leave for work but I'll be happy to discuss further manana if I have any takers. BTW, not trying to stir anything up but as a minority and a member of law enforcement I'm finding it harder and harder to hold my tongue.

I can not find any of what you said anywhere online. In fact, much of what is out there speaks to the exact opposite.

As for the tidbit about the Fresno shooting, it doesn't inspire as much public outrage because there is no historical context for it and it happens a lot less proportionally. And often times, these cops have committed egregious acts against Black people and haven't even been indicted. Therein lies the difference.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-08/breakdown-us-citizens-killed-cops-2016

Its sad and disturbing to me that the main stream media hangs on race, in my opinion, for nothing more than ratings. We're in 2016 yet many are still clinging to a 1950's mentality when the truth of the matter is that society is nothing like the 1950's.

Ever here the adage if you keep saying the same lie over and over again people will eventually believe it to be true?

Blue & Orange 4 Life!
CashMoney
USA
7/10/2016  12:32 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
CashMoney wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:What's sad now is that all the stereotyping and biased are being made to be true. Black people killing police because they are police will cause police to be more trigger happy with black people in general, So both sides will be right. Blacks will be more dangerous to police officers on the job and police officers will be more dangerous to black people. This will be fed and encouraged by our politicians and media. No way out of this one.

Police were already trigger-happy with Black people. That's why we've reached this boiling point. Even my Bryant Gumbel-sounding ass has had a police officer threaten to draw on him because I reached for my ID....which the idiot instructed me to do. I guess speeding 15mph over the limit (on a ****ing parkway) makes me a dangerous criminal.

Statistically speaking whites are killed more often by police than black people. Non whites (blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc.) commit 90% of all violent crime in the USA. Since white people commit less violent crime yet are killed more often by police one could argue that being white is more likely to get you killed by police.

I find it interesting that the main stream media is all over the MN and LA shooting but little attention is being given to the black off duty officer that shot and killed an unarmed black man in Brooklyn or the Fresno shooting where police shot and killed Dylan Noble, an unarmed white teenager.

I could get more into this as well as media bias and BS but have to leave for work but I'll be happy to discuss further manana if I have any takers. BTW, not trying to stir anything up but as a minority and a member of law enforcement I'm finding it harder and harder to hold my tongue.

And since it seems you're unaware of the context for the outrage being felt across the country, this video will help clarify...

This is exactly what I'm talking about. There is no proof that black people with guns are killed more often than white people with guns. Every police interaction with an armed suspect does not result in a shooting death regardless of race.

Blue & Orange 4 Life!
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/10/2016  12:39 PM
arkrud wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

The prove is millions of African American and African emigrants of 20-21 century who work every possible way of live in US and are as successful as any other Americans who leave there for generations and new emigrants. At the end is is always a personal effort, the family effort, and community effort.
Do we have plenty of bigots of any color and national descent? Sure. Do we have low broken and disregarded, and not enforced. Absolutely.
It is the reason to talk about it and use any possible platform to make it better.

While I agree with what your saying. Non of this touches on how an African American is 9 times more likely to go to jail for the same crime anyone else commits. I repeat 9 times. Or an African American child is way more likely to be tried as an adult, for what purpose. Or if a college grad has a black sounding name his resume is more likely to be passed over. You can't just chalk that up to having bigots of any color or descent.

These are issues that we shouldn't be having to worry about period. Life in general is hard enough.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CashMoney
USA
7/10/2016  12:44 PM
dk7th wrote:1) the nra needs to be demolished and gun shows heavily proctored where all invitees are thoroughly checked.
2) the second amendment needs to be re-written to ban semi-automatic weapons from both citizenry and the regular police forces. possessors of any such weapons should be tried for treason and put in jail for lengthy prison terms. **** "originalism."
3) marijuana needs to be legalized and heavily regulated and taxed
4) the very wealthiest should be taxed heavily and the majority of funds should be diverted to pre-k through grammar school programs for inner city minorities
5) teachers in inner city pre-k through grammar school programs should be amply rewarded to the degree they are trained and vetted for this work
6) police forces must be representative of the communities they are meant to serve, and if a demographic changes rapidly, such as in ferguson, then the policemen need to be relocated to other communities or furloughed by some federal oversight. this is similar to members of the army and their families.
7) every citizen between the ages of 18-24 must serve in the military for two years in a defensive capacity, defending our borders and ports.

that would be a good start.

1) The NRA will never go away and gun show loopholes are not going away as long as the NRA keeps shoveling money to the Republican party.
2) The likelihood of the 2nd amendment being ratified is slim to none.
3) Marijuana being legalized and taxed will still result in a black market where it can be obtained cheaper.
4) The very wealthiest in America are already heavily taxed and pay 50% of all income taxes in the USA. What needs to be done is to close corporate offshore loopholes and to cut back on defense spending.
5) Teachers in the inner city, at least in NYC are trained and vetted and a NYC teacher is required to obtain a Master's Degree. Rewarding teachers monetarily does not work and is unfair to the educators who are working with English as a Second Language Students and Special Needs/Special Education students. BTW - My wife is a teacher.
6) Having police forces representative of their communities is an impossible challenge as most minorities do not choose to enter into law enforcement as a profession.
7) I'll agree to disagree.

Blue & Orange 4 Life!
CashMoney
USA
7/10/2016  12:55 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
arkrud wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

While I agree with what your saying. Non of this touches on how an African American is 9 times more likely to go to jail for the same crime anyone else commits. I repeat 9 times. Or an African American child is way more likely to be tried as an adult, for what purpose. Or if a college grad has a black sounding name his resume is more likely to be passed over. You can't just chalk that up to having bigots of any color or descent.

These are issues that we shouldn't be having to worry about period. Life in general is hard enough.

Working in the Criminal Justice system I can 100% agree that the criminal justice system is broken and needs to be fixed. I saw something on TV a while ago with regard to ethnic names on resumes. Identical resumes were sent out to the same companies with the only change being the name on the resume. The resumes with ethnic names were called at something like 60% less than the others.

Unfortunately we shouldn't have to deal with these issues but until it changes what choice do we have? I actually had a sales job soon after college where we were primarily calling businesses down south. The company made us ethnic people change their names to something more neutral so prospects would feel more comfortable speaking with us.

Blue & Orange 4 Life!
meloanyk
Member: #5615

7/10/2016  1:13 PM
The offshoot of these tragic and wrongful incidents is that police in general will be less likely to be involved and crime will rise and mostly impact the neighborhoods who can least afford withdrawal of proper policing
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
7/10/2016  2:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/10/2016  2:29 PM
arkrud wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

arkrud - your meandering response is tone deaf and lacks nuance.

"In the interest of time, would ye noble patriots please provide a list of infractions punishable by spontaneous public execution? Thanks!"

once a knick always a knick
OT: Melo Steps Forward

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy