[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Melo Steps Forward
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
7/8/2016  4:12 PM
“I’m calling for all my fellow ATHLETES to step up and take charge,” the star Knicks forward wrote. “Go to your local officials, leaders, congressman, assemblymen/assemblywoman and demand change. There’s NO more sitting back and being afraid of tackling and addressing political issues anymore. Those days are long gone. We have to step up and take charge.”

“A march doesn’t work,” Anthony wrote. “We tried that. I’ve tried that. A couple social media post/tweet doesn’t work. We’ve all tried that. That didn’t work. Shooting 11 cops and killing 5 WILL NOT work. While I don’t have a solution, and I’m pretty sure a lot of people don’t have a solution, we need to come together more than anything at this time. We need each other.”

.... athletes “can’t worry about what endorsements we gonna lose or whose going to look at us crazy. I need your voices to be heard. We can demand change. We just have to be willing to.”

once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/8/2016  4:37 PM
I saw that. I didn't post it as you know I am a Melo fluffer, but I thought that was one of the better things I have heard regarding this.

What happened is terrible, but what was really tough was how little people are surprised. Between social media and the fact that everyone carries a camera with video we live in a very transparent world. There is no more pretending it doesn't happen. It happens. The hate happens. The mistreatment of minorities happens, and it is widespread. How many times do you kick someone before they kick back?

Terrible. Sad. All of it. Melo really nailed it. No "body" is fixing this. Its a WE thing. He's a standup dude.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
ActionJackson
Member: #1602

7/8/2016  4:41 PM
Very powerful!!!

(full statement here)
http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2016/07/carmelo_anthony_calls_for_athletes_to_demand_action_following_dallas_shootings.html

NumberTwoPencil
Member: #481
USA
7/8/2016  4:42 PM
Yup, sincere, thoughtful, timely. Serious props to Melo. My favorite play of his career so far.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/8/2016  5:17 PM
It's just shameful that in the melting pot that is the US that this continues to happen in today's day and age. Hate to sound harsh but this country will be a lot better off in this aspect when all the baby boomers are gone.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/8/2016  5:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2016  5:21 PM
The world is slowly going to hell in front if our eyes. Too much hatred, mistrust, conspiracy and violence. We need action but it's hard to define what action. Feels like more and more people are becoming less and less reasonable everyday. The media is just playing along, our leadership is broken, they have no political capital or goodwill left. There is also a lot more stress on people in their day to day lives than ever before, so everyone is already on edge all the time. People's faith in things that used to work is eroding fast. If there is a solution it will come from people coming together and declaring war on anything and everything that divides us. Good to see Melo's speech.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/8/2016  5:45 PM
I'm glad Melo said this. Like everyone, I don't know what the actual answer is. But props to him for calling for something more than social media handwringing or even marching. It's gonna take more. Whateve that may be. It's something we desperately need to figure out.
¿ △ ?
callmened
Member: #4234

7/8/2016  6:01 PM
I'm proud of melo for delivering that message today. I have a new found respect for him
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/8/2016  9:05 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:The world is slowly going to hell in front if our eyes. Too much hatred, mistrust, conspiracy and violence. We need action but it's hard to define what action. Feels like more and more people are becoming less and less reasonable everyday. The media is just playing along, our leadership is broken, they have no political capital or goodwill left. There is also a lot more stress on people in their day to day lives than ever before, so everyone is already on edge all the time. People's faith in things that used to work is eroding fast. If there is a solution it will come from people coming together and declaring war on anything and everything that divides us. Good to see Melo's speech.

Props to Melo...
But please... we do not need to declare war on anything... It's the problem.
The issues are not somewhere - they are within each of us.
Everyone should look in the mirror and ask himself what is important and essential and why I am losing humanity.
And no one is an exception - police officer, person of any race, gender, national descent, etc.
This are us who create separation, building the wall of hate and fear. Each of us.
Glad that Malo wants to take the high road.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/8/2016  9:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2016  9:10 PM
arkrud wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:The world is slowly going to hell in front if our eyes. Too much hatred, mistrust, conspiracy and violence. We need action but it's hard to define what action. Feels like more and more people are becoming less and less reasonable everyday. The media is just playing along, our leadership is broken, they have no political capital or goodwill left. There is also a lot more stress on people in their day to day lives than ever before, so everyone is already on edge all the time. People's faith in things that used to work is eroding fast. If there is a solution it will come from people coming together and declaring war on anything and everything that divides us. Good to see Melo's speech.

Props to Melo...
Everyone should look in the mirror and ask himself what is important and essential and why I am losing humanity.
And no one is an exception - police officer, person of any race, gender, national descent, etc.
This are us who create separation, building the wall of hate and fear. Each of us.

I agree. Not what I meant, it was a figure of speech. But I definitely see the irony.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/8/2016  9:17 PM

This is awesome. Props to Melo and the Daily News.

¿ △ ?
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/8/2016  9:21 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Props to Melo...

I agree. Not what I meant, it was a figure of speech. But I definitely see the irony.

I know... its emotional.
The truth is when we hate somebody we became like those who we hate.
And when we love somebody we became like those who we love.
Why we tend to do harm to our self by choosing to hate? Irrational.
And media and politicians are all getting into it and multiplying the hate.
Hate became the thing that makes ratings, money, and elects.
Why we do not have party of Love? Being afraid to look weak?
Hate is what makes us weak... not love which the only thing which can make us strong.
Love Matters. This should be the slogan and hashtag.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
TPercy
Member: #5748

7/9/2016  5:50 AM
Things like this that makes me proud to have Melo on this team. Big props to him.
The Future is Bright!
Ira
Member: #91
7/9/2016  6:23 AM
The more I see of Melo, the more I like him. He's a good guy.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/9/2016  8:22 AM
Two thumbs up to Melo!!
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/9/2016  10:36 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/9/2016  10:41 AM

...the world's been going to hell for a long time. At this point, the only thing that seriously poses a threat to ending it all is global warming/climate change. That aside, what we're seeing happen socially is nothing new....we are just more conscious of the world around us because of technological advancements and the fact that a select few no longer have the ability to whitewash events and control narratives.

So now you're able to see that Black people haven't been lying for centuries about police brutality and the widespread influence of systemic racist. Now you're able to understand the scope of the military industrial complex and see how it leads us into bogus wars. Etc.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/9/2016  10:41 AM
Great job by Melo.

These athletes though need to pool money together and find ways to put some things in place to create and fund the needed change. My suggestion would be creating businesses like supermarkets, housing, medical practices, mechanics etc.. in highly populated urban areas. Use there fame and visibility to promote the support of these specific businesses from the population. With the purpose of doing so not to make certain people rich. But to use profits to reinvest in the community and develop and fund low cost or free (if possible) private schools and after school programs. Developing children from day care to 6th grade. The police force should be highly involved with the private schools to gain familiarity with the children and families. The hope would be the the children would become that when they reach middle school level there test scores would excel and force a raise in funding for public schools. If possible though to generate enough money where private schooling could be through high school level even better. Then the hope would be to generate more educated and college ready children who can become the leaders of urban communities like mayors and police commish, judges, governors etc.. among other things.

In America we have

A majority white police force
majority white judicial demographic
majority white government
majority white Tv and news networks
Basically all real decision makers, positions of power, are majority white

Can we really expect this layout to have the best interest of blacks in America who they don't relate to over favoring who they do relate to? The results are what they are. African American children being tried as adults more then any other race for the same crimes. The African American image and history inaccurately portrayed.

Sure with enough constant fighting and some band aids will be put in place. But the truth of the matter is African Americans need to use the freedom we do have to establish our own.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
NardDogNation

7/9/2016  10:45 AM
arkrud wrote:

Props to Melo...

With all due respect, this comes as nondescript rhetoric. There is no real solution embedded in your message, though it is not something I fault you for. We are working against social structures and institutions that have been around for generations....so we're not solving anything over a quick brunch.

NardDogNation

7/9/2016  10:56 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:Great job by Melo.

These athletes though need to pool money together and find ways to put some things in place to create and fund the needed change. My suggestion would be creating businesses like supermarkets, housing, medical practices, mechanics etc.. in highly populated urban areas. Use there fame and visibility to promote the support of these specific businesses from the population. With the purpose of doing so not to make certain people rich. But to use profits to reinvest in the community and develop and fund low cost or free (if possible) private schools and after school programs. Developing children from day care to 6th grade. The police force should be highly involved with the private schools to gain familiarity with the children and families. The hope would be the the children would become that when they reach middle school level there test scores would excel and force a raise in funding for public schools. If possible though to generate enough money where private schooling could be through high school level even better. Then the hope would be to generate more educated and college ready children who can become the leaders of urban communities like mayors and police commish, judges, governors etc.. among other things.

In America we have

A majority white police force
majority white judicial demographic
majority white government
majority white Tv and news networks
Basically all real decision makers, positions of power, are majority white

Can we really expect this layout to have the best interest of blacks in America who they don't relate to over favoring who they do relate to? The results are what they are. African American children being tried as adults more then any other race for the same crimes. The African American image and history inaccurately portrayed.

Sure with enough constant fighting and some band aids will be put in place. But the truth of the matter is African Americans need to use the freedom we do have to establish our own.

That I don't have a problem with because I find men like Bernie Sanders, Ralph Nader, Noam Choamsky and the like to represent my wellbeing and interests far better than an Alan Keyes, Allen West, Don Lemon and the rest of the coon-brigade. Our enemy is ignorance and that can come in the form of any flavor of human being.

But your overall economic plan for minorities is something I agree with. Raising socioeconomic standards is key to acquring rhe political cache necessary to influence change. And the way that starts IS by re-investing in said communities and then lobbying ($$$$$$) for our interests through politics. You ever notice how tight a politicians ass gets when someone dares suggest we cut financial aid to Isreal, a 1st world country in its own right? That **** ain't by happenstance.

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
7/9/2016  11:03 AM
Proud of Melo for this.

#LoveMatters

~You can't run from who you are.~
OT: Melo Steps Forward

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy