[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

After Craw
Author Thread
nyballer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #108
USA
8/4/2004  12:50 PM
OK, since all indications point to this deal being pretty much completed (If the Times reports it then it's a good sign), what do you think the Knicks will do next. I think JYD is key to this deal for two reasons. One, he is a solid 4 who plays defense and plays hard. But secondly, acquiring him probably means that KT is now completely expendable. It works prefectly with our plan because now jerome and sweetney can play 23-25 minutes a game each - whereas KT would probably demand more playing time. and it's pretty obvious that our weakest position is center. It seems likely that the Knicks will either do something like KT and Nazr for Dampier and Eschmeyer (with dampier making about 8 mil per year). According to ESPN if the warriors wont agree, damp might sign the MLE. I can't see us keeping KT if we get damp, but what position do we try to upgrade. (this is all completely hypothetical and highly wishful of course)
our lineup would be:

PG: Marbury/Crawford
SG: Houston/Crawford
SF: TT/Penny
PF: KT/Sweetney/JYD
C: Dampier/Nazr

With the toine trade, dallas lacks a true pf. Dirk doesnt play like a 4, and the mavs have wanted thomas. what do you see happening next?

[Edited by - nyballer on 08/04/2004 12:51:15]
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/4/2004  12:58 PM
I think if Isiah could get that roster he'd giggle all the way until the Eastern Conference Finals.
¿ △ ?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/4/2004  1:02 PM
i really don't expect JYD to have much more of a role than 8-10 mpg...he's strictly a nice high energy player that you bring into a game to get your team going in spurts...he's not the type of player that warrants extended minutes imho.

as far as what i think the Knicks will do...i think they'll do their best to work out a sign & trade for Dampier using KT & Nazr as trade bait, but i don't know if Mullin will agree to it since he already turned down the deal for Nazr & an expiring deal...but IF the deal for Dampier does go down (probably including Eschmeyer coming our way for KT & Nazr), then i'd think about adding some depth at the backup PG position by offering Bobby Sura the LLE or a portion of the MLE, & then using the remaining money to sign someone like Keon Clark, who combined w/JYD would provide another nice high energy sparkplug type player to add even more depth to our roster...if you played Vin Baker some minutes at PF to back up Sweetney, i think JYD & Keon could get their share of minutes & be effective.

rotations could go like this:

C - Dampier / Baker / Clark
PF - Sweetney / Baker / JYD
SF - TT / Penny / Shandon or Ariza
SG - Houston / Crawford / Sura
PG - Marbury / Crawford / Sura
(IR - Ariza or Shandon / Moochie / Eshmeyer)

[Edited by - TMS on 08/04/2004 13:05:03]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
crzymdups
USA
8/4/2004  1:05 PM
I think Keon Clark would be the only addition. Isiah likes Moochie. And if he signs anyone else to be the point it will be Andre Barrett or whoever that kid from summer league was.

Sura will probably get around $3million a year from either Atlanta (who's obviously holding their money back for Damps right now) or Houston.
¿ △ ?
nyballer
USA
8/4/2004  1:12 PM
Posted by TMS:

i really don't expect JYD to have much more of a role than 8-10 mpg...he's strictly a nice high energy player that you bring into a game to get your team going in spurts...he's not the type of player that warrants extended minutes imho.

as far as what i think the Knicks will do...i think they'll do their best to work out a sign & trade for Dampier using KT & Nazr as trade bait, but i don't know if Mullin will agree to it since he already turned down the deal for Nazr & an expiring deal...but IF the deal for Dampier does go down (probably including Eschmeyer coming our way for KT & Nazr), then i'd think about adding some depth at the backup PG position by offering Bobby Sura the LLE or a portion of the MLE, & then using the remaining money to sign someone like Keon Clark, who combined w/JYD would provide another nice high energy sparkplug type player to add even more depth to our roster...if you played Vin Baker some minutes at PF to back up Sweetney, i think JYD & Keon could get their share of minutes & be effective.

rotations could go like this:

C - Dampier / Baker / Clark
PF - Sweetney / Baker / JYD
SF - TT / Penny / Shandon or Ariza
SG - Houston / Crawford / Sura
PG - Marbury / Crawford / Sura
(IR - Moochie / Eshmeyer)
JYD has been playing about 23-25 mpg for the last 4 years or so - i think he can still play at least 15. i completely forgot about baker too. one thing i like about this team is that there is a lot of versatility. even if we didnt sign a backup PG, there are 3 players (not counting Moochie) that can play the 1 (penny marbury and crawford), at least 3 that can play the 2 (houston craw and penny), 3 that can play the 3 (tt penny and jyd), 5 that can play the 4, and maybe 4 that can play the 5. reading over some of these reports, it looks like dampier mgiht settle for the MLE. i think isiah has to take that deal if it comes, but that would mean baker wouldnt sign for 3 million, and since baker is a goodwin client, how is that going to affect the crawford deal?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/4/2004  1:17 PM
 JYD has been playing about 23-25 mpg for the last 4 years or so 

i'm saying i personally wouldn't want him getting much more than 8-10 mpg on this team...that way, he can come in & do what he does best...be that sparkplug & energizer bunny in short spurts & add some excitement when the team is flat...the Knicks would have enough depth to not have to depend on this guy to be the primary backup at PF if they sign Baker as expected.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/4/2004  1:21 PM
I disagree. I think Jerome is definitely worthy of those 20 minutes. He is a spark plug, but he also brings defense and rebounding, and defense is definitely something this team does. Good defenders don't get only 8-10 minutes a game. I'd take him over BAKER anytime. 8-10 minutes is garbage minutes, and giving him that would be an insult to a solid NBA player.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
nyballer
USA
8/4/2004  1:26 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

I disagree. I think Jerome is definitely worthy of those 20 minutes. He is a spark plug, but he also brings defense and rebounding, and defense is definitely something this team does. Good defenders don't get only 8-10 minutes a game. I'd take him over BAKER anytime. 8-10 minutes is garbage minutes, and giving him that would be an insult to a solid NBA player.
that's what i was thinking - he's a lot tougher than baker and he's more the type of role player we need - rebounds well and plays defense. with a 1-3 lineup of marbury craw and TT and potentially damp in the middle i think we could use JYD as a defensive-minded player more than baker, who is not as good as JYD defensivley but much better offensively.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
8/4/2004  1:35 PM
After the Craw deal gets done, the next step should be Dampier now that it looks like he could be acquired either by sign-n-trade or by the MLE. If its through a sign-n-trade his deal better be a good one.
But I would love if Isiah could sign him with the MLE for two years but if it is only for one its ok. Its the MLE!

I think that if the Knicks can get him that way, Baker's agent should understand that an opportunity like that is something that has to be done. The LLE would be for Baker if he really wants to come to NY.

Imagine if NY got Dampier and Baker without any trade! We would then have a chance at trading KT for hopefully a young player. We would be ok at most of the positions so we could make a deal for the future there.
Knicks_Fan
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
8/4/2004  1:39 PM
It is very exciting what Isiah is trying to build. I don't know if he will be able to accomplish his dream by training camp, but if he does the league better watch out. A versatile roster is highly needed in this league. However, it will take a versatile coach to make use of it. Marburry/ Crawff, Houston/Penny/Ariza, TT/Ariza/Penny, Sweetney/JYD/Nazer, Dampier/Vinny/Naser. With this roster, we would definitely have an answer in the defensive side of the game.
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/4/2004  3:15 PM
I totally agree on the JYD. I would love to see him split time at the PF w/ Sweetney. Move KT to a team w/ cap space for all I care. We have good scorers w/ Crawford, TT, Marbs, Houston (healthy?). What you need is high energy guys to go and get the ball. Thats JYD in a nutshell. He creates more shots and easy buckets when he's on the floor, and I think he's an impact player. He can play (defend) both forward spots and he energizes his team. The fact that the Bulls didnt use him better tells you how f'd up that team was.

Assuming the trade reported is as is, moving KT and Nazr for Damp is a freakin coup, and I doubt it happens. Whats interesting is that all of Isiah's public effort to get Dampier might actually impact his decision making to come here for the MLE if all other options dry up. The KT/Nazr deal is too good to be true IMHO. Not that Dampier's so great... he isnt. To me hes got MUCH bigger question marks that Crawford. Crawford is a star talent that needs to learn how to play wining ball. Dampier is a star talent thats 6 years older and has had his effort and desire repeatedly questioned. To me Damp is a MUCH higher risk.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/4/2004  4:27 PM
I don't think there's any chance of a sign and trade to get Dampier. I don't think we have any players they want since they're deep at PG and PF/C, and Escmeier's (sp?) contract is too small for them to be excited about getting rid of it. I hope I'm wrong, though.

I do think there is a chance that he'll take a 2 yr MLE deal. (He's even been quoted as contemplating it.)
PhilinLA
Member: #696
8/4/2004  4:38 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I don't think there's any chance of a sign and trade to get Dampier. I don't think we have any players they want since they're deep at PG and PF/C, and Escmeier's (sp?) contract is too small for them to be excited about getting rid of it. I hope I'm wrong, though.

I do think there is a chance that he'll take a 2 yr MLE deal. (He's even been quoted as contemplating it.)
I think it will be a "wink" deal of some sort. I wonder when he's speaking.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
RonRon
Member: #246
8/4/2004  4:43 PM
i have a question bout damp, if he signed a 2 year deap midlevel except then signs another 1 year deal....does that mean we have his bird rights after?
crzymdups
USA
8/4/2004  4:48 PM
Supposedly, if he signs a two-year MLE, we get the right to max him out after two years. I don't know why that is, perhaps because he's a veteran or something, but that's the deal with him and it was same deal with Sheed. It's been widely reported on ESPN and other 'reputable' places. So, if Damps signs a two-year MLE, Zeke can give him the wink wink and max him for an additional four years.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/4/2004  4:52 PM
not true... Bird rights are only after 3 years. The thing w/ the two year deal is you have partial Bird rights and are entitled to a 90% raise at the end of the two year deal. For example if signed Sheed for 2 years we could offer him a starting salary of about $9mm in year 3, but they are two seperate contracts. A year 2 MLE contract (20%raise) will be just about $5.5mm, so that + $4mm (90%) = $9mm, give or take.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
crzymdups
USA
8/4/2004  5:05 PM
oh, okay. I knew there was some sort of large raise available after two years.
¿ △ ?
s3231
Member: #544
USA
8/4/2004  5:35 PM
If the Crawford deal gets completed (as it should) then I think we should put all of our effort into getting Dampier whether it is by a sign and trade or by getting him to sign for the MLE. If we can get Damp for the MLE, I wouldn't mind keeping Kurt as our starting PF. However, we should definitely continue to explore trades for Kurt even if we sign Dampier to the MLE because Sweetney and JYD can definitely fill the PF position well.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/4/2004  5:45 PM
I think it's in our best interest to sign Dampier to an MLE type deal, and if it could be for 2 years, as it was mentioned above, then that would be great. For the type of career he has had, he is totally not worth 60 or 70 mm. That's got Shanvis EisleyHouspoon written all over it. We are over the cap, but that screws us even more, b/c it goes past when Houston, Penny, Shandon and TT and Moochie are done with their contracts. Even past Marburys, probably. I think he can be a nice addition for 2 or even 3 years, but 6 years is just insane. That's bad basketball business, and if Isiah does that sign and trade (Where we get him for 60 - 70 mm) then he clearly didn't learn from Layden.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/4/2004  6:31 PM
Would Damps be more likely to sign a 2 yr MLE deal or to sign a full 6 yr deal with an early player option? He might pick the latter so that he could have something to fall back on if things didn't work out after 2 years.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/04/2004 18:32:26]
After Craw

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy