[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dampier to meet with Knicks (Discuss sign + trade and Mid Level)
Author Thread
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
8/4/2004  11:46 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1851712

Nothing new I guess....but a story.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
AUTOADVERT
OasisBU
Member: #257
USA
8/4/2004  11:47 AM
Hawks still not out of the picture:

By Ric Bucher
ESPN The Magazine

Free-agent center Erick Dampier will fly to New York tomorrow to meet with the Knicks in hopes of finalizing a sign-and-trade deal with the Warriors or, barring Golden State's cooperation, agreeing to a one-year contract for the mid-level exception of $4.9 million.

The Atlanta Hawks, the only other legitimate suitors for Dampier, have the salary-cap room to offer considerably more than that, but have yet to do so.

Dampier, right, would like to go to the Big Apple one way or the other.

Dampier's agent, Dan Fegan, said the Hawks have become more attractive to his client with the acquisition of Al Harrington from the Pacers and a pending deal with Dallas that would bring in power forward Antoine Walker. However, Fegan added, the only team Dampier would consider signing with for the mid-level exception is the Knicks because of team president Isiah Thomas' diligent pursuit of Dampier since free agency began July 1.

Dampier opted out of the final two years of a seven-year, $48 million deal with the Warriors that would have paid him $8.1 million this season and $8.7 million in 2005-06. The Warriors, according to sources, have refused to participate in sign-and-trade deals for Dampier with teams in the Western Conference, which pre-empted offers from both the Los Angeles Lakers and Memphis Grizzlies.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
8/4/2004  1:06 PM
If Isiah can somehow get Damp via the MLE for a year, that would definitely be huge. A team consisting of

Dampier-Mohammed
K. Thomas-Sweetney
T. Thomas-Ariza-Anderson
Houston-Crawford-Demarr
Marbury-Hardaway-Norris

would be a good team with a lot of depth. I heard on the FAN that Dampier is suppossed to adress the media later on after he works out for us, hopefully he will announce that he is gonna sign with us for the MLE for a year.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
8/4/2004  1:16 PM
Posted by s3231:

If Isiah can somehow get Damp via the MLE for a year, that would definitely be huge. A team consisting of

Dampier-Mohammed
K. Thomas-Sweetney
T. Thomas-Ariza-Anderson
Houston-Crawford-Demarr
Marbury-Hardaway-Norris

would be a good team with a lot of depth. I heard on the FAN that Dampier is suppossed to adress the media later on after he works out for us, hopefully he will announce that he is gonna sign with us for the MLE for a year.

Hopefully, and that would almost guarantee a Dampier playing at his best because he again has a contract to play for. That is, of course, if he really is like those players that only does his best on a contract year.
Knicks_Fan
Starks3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #211
USA
8/4/2004  1:20 PM
Quick Question, If we are signing Vin Baker to 3 million a year as reported by alot of newspapers, doesn't that take our mid level away thus meaning we cant offer Dampier that?
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/4/2004  1:22 PM
Posted by Starks3:

Quick Question, If we are signing Vin Baker to 3 million a year as reported by alot of newspapers, doesn't that take our mid level away thus meaning we cant offer Dampier that?

yes...which is why Isiah is holding off on using the MLE on ANYONE until he knows for sure what the verdict is in the Dampier situation...

but i have no confidence that he'd agree to signing a MLE to play here...it will end up being a sign & trade for KT & Nazr for Dampier & Esch if anything...if not, i think he ends up in ATL.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
s3231
USA
8/4/2004  1:24 PM
Posted by Starks3:

We haven't signed Baker yet because Isiah probably wants to see if he can get Dampier for the MLE. If we can get Dampier for the MLE then we will either have to resign Baker at the veteran's minimum or just let him go.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
s3231
USA
8/4/2004  1:25 PM
TMS summed it up well. We're not going to resign Baker until we find out if we can get Dampier for the MLE.
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

8/4/2004  1:57 PM
now THIS is good news
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/4/2004  2:10 PM
according to WFAN, erick dampier will be meeting with the media after his workout with the knicks this afternoon.

(possibly to announce he's signing a 1 year/ $4.9 mil deal?)
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
8/4/2004  2:13 PM
If this goes through, and if the JCraw trade goes through (which seems likely), I'm going to be in disbelief for the rest of the summer.

Before Zeke:
Eisley/Ward/Frank
Houston/Anderson
KVH/Anderson
McDyess/Kurt/Spoon/Othella
Mutumbo/Doleac

IL: Sweets, Lampe, Vranes

Possibly next season:
Marbury/Craw
Houston/Anderson
TT/Penny/Ariza
Sweets/JYD
Damp/Baker?/Eschmeyer

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes and tries to sign Andre Barret for the LLE.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/4/2004  2:16 PM
I hope Crawford gets inked soon.An improved lineup would be more of an incentive to play here.
PhilinLA
Member: #696
8/4/2004  2:18 PM
You have to be sure that Zeke is telling Dampier who he else is coming in, though Craw must be done by now.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
TMS
USA
8/4/2004  2:21 PM
no way will he use the LLE to sign Barrett...he'll get the league minimum if anything...but i agree, it's amazing how much roster turnover we've had since Isiah's been here...there was a time i thought we would be doomed to live w/that sorry roster that Layden put together for the next several years...it's scary to think back on those times.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/4/2004  2:45 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

according to WFAN, erick dampier will be meeting with the media after his workout with the knicks this afternoon.

This has to be good news, if its true.

Does anyone know what time this will be?
¿ △ ?
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/4/2004  2:48 PM
So let me get this straight--- Dampier opted out of a guaranteed 16+million over the next 2 years so he could sign for the MLE?!!?
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
TMS
USA
8/4/2004  2:59 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by djsunyc:

This has to be good news, if its true.

Does anyone know what time this will be?

the only thing on the FAN now is that moron Chris Russo interviewing Ralph Kiner about Bob Murphy...nothing about Dampier or the Knicks for hours.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/4/2004  3:14 PM
Posted by technomaster:

So let me get this straight--- Dampier opted out of a guaranteed 16+million over the next 2 years so he could sign for the MLE?!!?

Maybe he wanted out of a bad situation, and don't you think that Isiah has promised to wink wink take care of him? He'll get his money here, he just has to decide if he wants to be a winner or an also ran.
¿ △ ?
PhilinLA
8/4/2004  3:31 PM
Zeke really sells the "you can't beat winning in New York" angle as well as the never ending value that will come to the players who finally bring it back. He's got a Keith Hernandez reel that he shows these guys.
PhilinLA
8/4/2004  6:06 PM
FAN just reported that Dampier will have dinner with Isiah and is considering signing with the Knicks because Atlanta is committed to rebuilding. Hmmm.
Dampier to meet with Knicks (Discuss sign + trade and Mid Level)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy