[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Message from Time Warner Cable concerning the MSG & Fox Sports channels
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/4/2004  10:03 AM
just thought you guys would like the hear the explanation for why Time Warner is no longer carrying MSG or Fox Sports NY...i sent them a letter complaining about it & here's what they wrote me:
Thank you for your message to Time Warner Cable.

In reference to your inquiry Time Warner Cable is not removing MSG, Fox
Sports NY, and Metro Channel.

Our contract to carry MSG, Fox Sports NY, and Metro Channel, which are
all owned by Cablevision, expire at the end of this year. For some
time, our corporate office has been negotiating with Cablevision, the
owner of those networks, with a view towards entering into a new contract
with reasonable prices and terms. But Cablevision has notified us
that unless we accept their demand for a substantial increase in fees
under the new contract, they will prohibit us from carrying those channels
beginning on January 1st.
December 17th was set as a deadline for us to hear from Cablevision
with one of two things: Either an offer with reasonable rates for the
new contract -- or the OK to continue to negotiate in good faith beyond
December 31 and keep the channels on for sports viewers however
Cablevision, the owners of MSG, Fox Sports NY and Metro Channel did not agree.
We've been notified by Cablevision that they intend to sue us if we
carry the services after December 31
Cablevision has informed us - - in very clear terms - - that if we no
longer have a contract to carry MSG, Fox Sports NY and Metro Channel,
we are prohibited from carrying these services. We sincerely regret any
inconvenience to our customers during this period and will
automatically credit customer $2 a month if the dispute is not resolved by the end
of the year.
We truly hope this will be resolved before January 1st and are working
towards a fair outcome for all -- Cablevision, TWC and our customers.
We value you as a customer, and please do not take any action until we
know the outcome of this situation.
Please stay tuned to our Weather Channel (channel 72) or TV Guide
Channel (channel 51) for the latest updates which will appear periodically
as a crawl on the bottom of the screen.

If you have any further questions please contact us at
support@twcnyc.com or call our 24 hour Customer Support XPRESSLINE at
212-674-9100 or 718-358-0900.

Sincerely,

Gary Arp-Misrahi
Customer Support
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/4/2004  10:28 AM
interesting.... who did you send the letter to?

Didn't something like this happen last year too?

Also, is MSG, etc. still off the air right now?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TMS
USA
8/4/2004  10:37 AM
i sent the complaint using their customer feedback link on the Time Warner NY website...i guess it's the same as writing to the e-mail address they included in that response (support@twcnyc.com)

& i'm not sure if the same thing happened last year...i don't remember my MSG being blacked out...but yes, MSG is now blacked out & so is Fox Sports, the 2 channels owned by Cablevision...all that is showing on those 2 channels is Time Warner's message blaming Cablevision for all this & spinning it to seem like they are the totally innocent parties in this...

personally, i'm pissed off at both these companies for allowing their petty spiteful whims & contractual issues effect the enjoyment of thousands of subscribers who have no choice in the matter & have to miss out on watching the Knicks games if no settlement is reached here...the same crap happened w/the whole YES vs. Cablevision fiasco...it's ridiculous!
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/4/2004  10:51 AM
I think at the end of last year there was a threat of removing MSG etc from Time Warner, but it never came to fruition.

Cutting off Cablevision at this early stage of the game signals to me just another rise in the level of contract negotiations. Better to cut off viewers now when no real sports is going on - no NBA, no NHL, only mid-season for baseball, Olypics coming up anyway.

Everyone should send their comments to Time Warner and Cablevision and express their opinion about the channels they want on cable.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/4/2004  10:57 AM
This is what I don't like about the whole thing.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience to our customers during this period and will automatically credit customer $2 a month if the dispute is not resolved by the end of the year.

Why not give us a refund for each month that we don't get the cannels starting NOW?!?

PURE KNICKS LOVE
TMS
USA
8/4/2004  11:00 AM
i could really care less about that $2 (though i agree, we should be getting that money back NOW)...i just want my channels back...i can't believe they can't continue to negotiate while keeping the channels...Cablevision is like the kid who takes his bat & ball home when they can't have everything go their way at the playground.

stupid corporate babies!
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/4/2004  11:22 AM
I am glad I have satellite, for years the cable companies have screwed it customers, Time warner is greedy and cheap, just look at how they are running the braves now.. they are going to spin this to make it look like it is all cablevision, but don't be fooled...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
PresIke
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #33
USA
8/4/2004  11:26 AM
What would not surprise me is that this may be an excuse to turn MSG & Fox Sports into a premium type of channel on Time-Warner, as YES, MSG & Fox Sports are with Cablevision. If you want to have those channels you pay an extra fee for their "sports package," -- which includes all 3 channels -- but they lowered the overall cable costs to subscribers who didn't want the package.

However, I am quite sure that the price for the package, if you chose to get it, was more than the original cost of basic cable.

My personal belief is that because both MSG and YES are owned by the same corporations that own the Knicks & Yankees, respectively, that they are trying to find ways to pay the astronomical costs of their sports franchises, particularly the salaries. I know it is a bit more complex than that, but what they pay their players is the most in their leagues. Guess who's going to pay the bill?

The fans.

Which is one of many reasons those who say "It ain't my money" when the Knicks or Yankees pay huge salaries may be incorrect. Those organizations pay some costs, but the fans are going to pay the price if the corporations that own their teams keep spending like their money pit is bottomless.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
TMS
USA
8/4/2004  11:46 AM
there's a flaw to that argument though, because YES had maintained all along that they wanted their channel to be included as part of Cablevision's basic package...it was CABLEVISION who wanted to charge a premium to carry it...Time Warner never had a problem w/the YES channel, & their agreeing to carry YES as part of their basic package really ticked Cablevision off, because they lost out on the extra dollars that they stood to make from their subscribers...why would anyone choose to pay for a channel when they could get it for free from someone else?

that's why Cablevision is dicking them around here...they're just acting like babies, but i don't think that Time Warner isn't to blame here either...both companies are trying to screw the other, & we the fans are the ones who have to pay the price...it's sickening.
Message from Time Warner Cable concerning the MSG & Fox Sports channels

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy