Member: #316
Canada
8/4/2004  3:16 AM
Insider Rumours....

Knicks reportedly close to acquiring Crawford

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Jamal Crawford
Bulls
Knicks Aug. 3 - Just when it appeared Crawford was stuck in Chicago, the sign-and-trade deal with the Knicks appears to be back on. Reports out of both Chicago and New York have the the Knicks and Bulls finally on the verge of finalizing the trade. The latest deal varies, according to the reports, but essentially sends a re-signed Crawford (6 years, $55 million) and Jerome Williams to the Knicks for Dikembe Mutombo, Frank Williams and either Othella Harrington or Moochie Norris depending on the report. The deal had previously included the larger contracts of Eddie Robinson and Shandon Anderson.
However, if Crawford is really making six years, $55 million and if neither Robinson nor Anderson is included, the only way to make a deal work financially is for the Bulls to send Crawford, Jerome Williams and Chris Jefferies to the Knicks in return for Mutombo, Frank Williams, Harrington and Norris. Because Crawford would be earning a starting salary of $7 million on a six-year deal for $55 million, he becomes a base-year compensation player.

That means the Bulls can take back only half of his starting salary ($3.5 million) in any trade. Since the aggregated salaries in a trade must be within 15 percent and $100,000 of each other, the trade is difficult to pull off. Of all the different scenarios out there (and assuming the reports numbers are accurate for Crawford, and Robinson and Anderson aren't included), this is the only one that conforms to the rules of the CBA.

Jason Terry
Hawks
Mavs Aug. 3 - According to the N.Y. Post, the Mavericks are close to sending forward Antoine Walker to Atlanta for Terry and forward Alan Henderson. The Mavs have been looking for a starting point guard ever since they lost Steve Nash to Suns in early July. Terry, while not a true point guard, could be a good fit.
Terry was unhappy in Atlanta all last season after the team matched a three-year offer sheet from the Jazz, which may help explain his poor performance. He has two years, $14 million left on his contract. Henderson is a throw in. He played just six games last season. He's in the last year of a contract that pays him just over $8.2 million next season.

Antoine Walker
Mavericks
Hawks Aug. 3 - Walker, according to the N.Y. Post, is heading to the Hawks in exchange for Jason Terry. Walker, who turns 28 in August, is a former all-star who still has plenty of gas left in the tank. He's in a contract year, meaning he's motivated, and the Hawks desperately need to add some more size to the roster.

Jason Kidd
Nets
Mavericks
Lakers
Spurs Aug. 3 - If the Mavs and Hawks pull the trigger on the Antoine Walker-for-Jason Terry trade, you can forget about talk of Kidd returning to Big D. Kidd has been dangled to the Mavs, but owner Mark Cuban has been reluctant to assume the last five years, $90 million of his contract unless the Nets were willing to take back at least one bad contract in return from Dallas. With Terry in the fold in Dallas, the debate becomes moot. There won't be a need for Kidd anymore.

Eddy Curry
Bulls
Grizzlies Aug. 3 - The Grizzlies and Bulls continued talking about an Eddy Curry swap on Monday, league sources told Insider. The fact that Eddie Robinson was pulled out of trade talks with the Knicks may be evidence that a deal is getting closer. A combination of Bonzi Wells (who is in the last year of his contract) and a re-signed Stromile Swift for Curry and Robinson could work under the terms of the CBA. According to sources, Bulls GM John Paxson is insisting that he'll only trade Curry if a team is willing to offer a talented young player or two and salary-cap relief in return.

Troy Hudson
Timberwolves
Timberwolves
Heat?
Jazz?
Rockets?
Raptors? Aug. 3 - Hudson thought he had a deal with the Timberwolves that went for six years and started at about $5 million. Now, he thinks he might have to break off negotiations with Minnesota and find employment elsewhere.
"I'm getting a little irritated," Hudson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "I really want to be in a stable situation. I want to find out where I'm going to be for the season."

The point guard says he'll give his current team until Friday to finalize the language in his contract that concerns the injury he sustained last season. If not, he may instruct his agent to start talking to other teams.

"I have the same frustration as Troy," agent Bill Neff said. "I think we'll be able to get this done by the end of the week."

Miami, Utah, Houston and Toronto were among the teams that expressed interest in Hudson before he told the Wolves he wanted to stay in Minnesota.

Erick Dampier
Warriors
Knicks
Hawks
Grizzlies
Pacers
Suns Aug. 3 - If Knicks GM Isiah Thomas is able to seal the deal for Jamal Crawford, it would essentially end his pursuit of Dampier. According to several reports, Isiah needed the expiring contract of either Dikembe Mutombo or Othella Harrington to put together a sign-and-trade deal with the Warriors. Under the current trade scenario with Chicago, he has to send both to the Bulls to make the Crawford trade happen.
If the Knicks give up on Dampier, the free agent center will likely sign the Hawks' offer. The Hawks have, according to sources, upped their offer to Dampier now that they've received considerable trade interest from several teams, including the Grizzlies. The Warriors may not be interested in doing a sign-and-trade, but the Hawks wouldn't be averse to signing Dampier and then trading him. If they sign Dampier, they won't be able to trade him until Dec. 15th.

There's always the risk, given his history, that Dampier will get injured and become untradeable before the deadline. But if he goes to Atlanta and plays well for a few months, it may convince a team like the Grizzlies or Pacers to make a trade that could help fill a number of holes that the Hawks have.

Toni Kukoc
Bucks
Bucks
Heat
Celtics Aug. 3 - He's at the end of his career, but there's still a lot of interest in Kukoc if the money is right. Miami's shown interest. So have the Celtics. However, it still appears that the Bucks are the front-runners to re-sign him.

Bob Sura
Hawks
Hawks
Rockets
Clippers
Heat Aug. 3 - Sura was awesome for the Hawks the last month and half of the season, averaging 15.4 ppg, 8 rpg and 7.4 apg in April and 14.9 ppg, 8.9 rpg and 4.4 apg in March. The Hawks need a veteran guard who can play the point and Sura may be the best guy out there. The Rockets, Clippers and Heat are also looking for some help at the point.

Richard Jefferson
Nets
Nets Aug. 2 - According to the New York Times, the Nets want to keep at least one player in uniform and may soon offer Jefferson a six-year, $86 million extension. "I had a preliminary talk today with Todd (Eley)," Nets president Rod Thorn said of his conversation with Jefferson's agent. "Just to touch base. Nothing is obviously done."
And despite the recent turn of events with the franchise, Jefferson may be willing to become the front man for the organization, especially since it would take a couple of years to become an unrestricted free agent, by which time the new collective bargaining agreement may restrict his earning potential.

"I think Richard would like to get this done," Eley said. "I think any time somebody offers you the opportunity to be with your organization and for a long time, I think you have to always sit down and look at that."

Vince Carter
Raptors
Knicks?
Hornets? Aug. 2 - There was heavy speculation last week that the Hornets were making a play for Carter, but Raptors GM Rob Babcock blew that out of the water claiming there was nothing to the rumors. The New York Daily News reported on July 30 that Carter, who is believed to be unhappy in Toronto, wants to play for the Knicks.
"The last thing Toronto wants is for things to turn ugly," a source told the paper. "Vince likes New York; he has a relationship with Isiah and he wants to play there."

Jon Barry
Nuggets
Hawks
Nuggets
Clippers
Retirement? Jul. 30 - Barry, a free-agent guard, told the Rocky Mountain News he'll consider retirement if he doesn't receive what he considers an acceptable offer. Barry, 35, who played for the Nuggets last season, has been taking with several teams, including the Hawks and Clippers, but hasn't received a concrete offer. Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe said Denver has "a lot of interest" in Barry, but hasn't decided how he'll use the team's available cap space ($2.3 million).

Darius Miles
Blazers
Blazers
Hawks
Clippers
Bobcats Jul. 29 - Portland wants to re-sign him, but its original offer sheet was very low, causing Miles to look elsewhere. Unfortunately for Miles, unless the Hawks, Clippers or Bobcats come through, he's not going to be able to cash in on the free-agent bonanza the way some were. That's the curse of restricted free agency. If the Blazers trade Shareef Abdur-Rahim, they might be more willing to commit. There's no question Miles wants out of Portland. He was stunned when the team offered him a contract that started lower than its one-year tender offer ($5.9 million). The few teams left with cap room have been reluctant to make offers because the Blazers are claiming they'll match. Several teams are willing to do sign-and-trades, but the Blazers are refusing to talk.
That leaves Miles with just two options. One, he can still try to convince a team like the Clippers, Hawks, Suns (if Quentin Richardson's offer isn't matched) or the Bobcats to make him an offer. The Clippers make the most sense. He flourished in L.A. and has a rock-solid relationship with Corey Maggette, Elton Brand and rookie Shaun Livingston. He works out with all three at Hoops the Gym in Chicago all summer. He's also best friends with Quentin Richardson. The two would love to be reunited.

If that doesn't work, Miles can accept Portland's one-year tender offer and become an unrestricted free agent next summer. Doing so guarantees that he'll bolt the Blazers next summer. Like most free agents, he'd prefer to get a deal done now before the collective bargaining agreement expires . . . but given the current climate in Portland, sources say he's on the verge of taking the tender offer.

Mo Williams
Jazz
? Jul. 29 - Williams worked his way into the Jazz rotation last season, which resulted in Utah tendering a qualifying offer to the young point guard. However, the Salt Lake Tribune is reporting that Williams might be looking for a team with more playing time available since the Jazz already have Carlos Arroyo and Raul Lopez under contract.
"We didn't draft a point guard and we didn't sign a [new] point guard," Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor said. "That's what he should be looking at." By giving Williams the offer, the Jazz can match any other offers that may come his way.

Karl Malone
Lakers
Lakers
Spurs
Heat Jul. 28 - Malone's agent, Dwight Manley, says there is no news to report yet but the South Florida Sun-Sentinel ran a story in which Timberwolves general manager Kevin McHale said the Mailman is headed for Miami. The story originally ran in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune and Manley admits that the Heat and Malone have had ongoing discussions. Heat general manager Randy Pfund doesn't deny his interest in Malone, but knows it may be awhile before Malone even decides to play again, much less for which team.
"Obviously Karl Malone is a name we have a lot of interest in," Pfund told the Palm Beach Post. "We're heavy at that spot, but Karl is special."

The Lakers are now offering $1.65 million to Malone, who has yet to say he would return at all after having offseason surgery on his knee and finger. The Spurs, meanwhile, have offered the future Hall of Famer $1.1 million.

WHO INTEREST THE SKINNY

Veteran small forward, guard Jul. 28 - The Heat are pursuing a power forward, most notably Karl Malone, but they're looking to add a veteran small forward and experienced point guard as well. According to the Palm Beach Post, Eric Williams and Bob Sura are among the players the Heat are targeting.
Williams, 32, spent last season with Cleveland and Boston, and his known for his defensive prowess. "He could be that person," Miami GM Randy Pfund said. "He's a good all-around team guy, a good defender and a winner."

At point guard, the Heat have Dwyane Wade and Keyon Dooling, but Pfund says the team needs more depth. Sura, 31, can play both guard spots and provide instant offense off the bench. Other guards the Heat could consider are Charlie Ward, Kenny Anderson, Brevin Knight and Lindsey Hunter.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Blazers
Nets Jul. 26 - With the news that the Blazers have signed Trenton Hassell to an offer sheet, Nets CEO Rod Thorn announced that the deal for Abdur-Rahim was over. "The deal is dead," Thorn said in the Newark Star-Ledger. "It was probably dead anyway."
New Jersey was offering Portland Kerry Kittles and Aaron Williams and a draft pick for Reef, but Kittles is no longer needed if the Timberwolves do not match the Hassell offer. "Portland blew an excellent opportunity and the Nets blew a chance to replace Kenyon Martin," Reef's agent, Aaron Goodwin, said in the New York Post. "I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't disappointed."

According to the New York Post, the Nets are now interested in Clippers backup forward Chris Wilcox.

Vin Baker

Cavs
Knicks Jul. 22 - Baker recently traveled to Cleveland to meet with Cavs GM Jim Paxson. Baker, who is coming off a season where he spent weeks in rehab and is recovering from "minor" heart surgery, happens to be a client of Aaron Goodwin, the agent for LeBron James. There aren't many power forwards who can replace Carlos Boozer, but Baker would be a gamble.
The New York Post reported that Baker's first choice is the Knicks. Baker met with GM Isiah Thomas and coach Lenny Wilkens, according to the paper, and his re-signing could happen soon.

Robert Horry
Spurs
Heat? Jul. 21 - Shaquille O'Neal is now openly recruiting several former teammates and Horry is one of them. With needs at power forward, shooting guard and point guard, with very limited cap space, Miami is hoping Shaq's presence will entice players to join the team at lower rates. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports the Heat have half of their mid-level exception, a $1.6 million exception and a $1.5 million veterans exception to offer.
"It depends on whether some guys are looking to get every last dollar or if some are willing to take a little less to come to Miami and play with Shaq in this energetic city," GM Randy Pfund told the newspaper. "Over the next few days we'll see which guys fit into the minimum slots and which guys we can offer a little bit of money to, to see where the market goes. There's still money flowing out there, and we have to be prudent."

Stromile Swift
Grizzlies
Grizzlies
Hawks
Bobcats Jul. 20 - Swift expected to be a hot commodity this summer, but the Grizzlies made it known they planned to match any offer, and the market cooled pretty quickly.
The Hawks and Bobcats could use him and have enough cash left to make the Grizzlies sweat. The Hawks spent some time talking with Erick Dampier on Monday, but walked away from the meeting with the feeling that they weren't going to land him. Expect them to turn their attention to signing Swift now. He's the best free-agent big man on the board and he'll come cheaper than Damp.

The Bobcats would also be a fit. They've been stockpiling bigs, but they don't have anyone of Swift's caliber. A front line of Swift and Emeka Okafor would be among the most athletic in the league.

With that said, none of this precludes the Grizzlies from matching. They claim they want Swift back, and if they lose out on Dampier, they may have no choice but to pay him that cash. Without him, their front line takes a major hit. With the way other teams in the West are improving, they may not be able to afford to let him go.

Paul Pierce
Celtics
? Jul. 15 - Pierce isn't going to lie. He told the Boston Herald he was about to demand a trade like Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter and Shaquille O'Neal, but he sat down one last time with coach Doc Rivers and everything changed. "I just wanted to spend some time with him and talk about things. It was real good. He talked about the way he wanted to use me and the things he expects from me. It was great. I mean, after hearing what he had to say, I have a lot of confidence in Doc and what we can do with this team. Then (Tuesday) I had a talk with Danny (Ainge) and he gave me some good reassurances about what we're doing.
"Last year was just so hard. I know I don't ever want to go through anything like that again. There were things happening that I really didn't understand at the time. But hearing it from Danny really helps now. I can see what he wants to do. So I'm here for the long term. I signed the big contract because I want to be here, and I bought a house back there last summer. I'm willing to deal with whatever comes up."

Shawn Marion
Suns
Hornets? Jul. 14 - The Suns may have added Steve Nash and signed Quentin Richardson to an offer sheet, but they're just getting started. At least one paper in the Phoenix is saying that the team will now send Shawn Marion packing in exchange for a big man.
The Suns, say the East Valley Tribune, don't want a high-scoring lineup with undersized Amare Stoudemire at center and Marion at power forward. They'd rather have Stoudemire at power forward and bring in a legit center. The article goes on to state without any quotes that their target could be Jamaal Magloire of the New Orleans Hornets, who have lost their all-star small forward, Jamal Mashburn.

Kurt Thomas
Knicks
Knicks
Mavs
Cavs Jul. 13 - One rumor has Thomas going to Cleveland for Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Another has Thomas involved with Vince Carter. Yet another has him in a deal that would bring Antoine Walker and Erick Dampier to New York.
"You hear a lot of rumors so maybe something is going to happen," Thomas said in the New York Daily News. "I have no idea if I'm going to be here. I just know that when training camp starts, wherever I am, I'm going to be in great shape."

Trade rumors aren't anything new for Thomas, but they have more impact now that the power forward doesn't seem to be getting along with team president Isiah Thomas or point guard Stephon Marbury.

AUTOADVERT
Insider Rumours....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy