[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The case for Eric Gordon...
Author Thread
SocraticBallin22
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6096

6/29/2016  9:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2016  9:51 PM
"According to a source, the Knicks have interest in injury-prone Eric Gordon, too. Rose wouldn’t mind seeing Gordon get to New York. They played AAU ball together in Chicago and are friends." - Berman

Interesting link between D Rose and Gordon.

Pros:

--In the prime of his career (28)

-- Great shooter

-- Can create his own shot (unlike most other SG's on the free agent list)

-- has the potential to improve his game and is maybe the most talented player on the SG free agent list

-- fresh start may want to revitalize his career playing alongside D Rose

-- may be had on the cheap due to injury history

Cons:

-- Injury prone his whole career and a major risk

-- not a good defender

-- a bit undersized for a 2 guard

-- him and D Rose can be a potential all-star, dynamic backcourt together or a MASH unit (high risk, high reward; boom or bust)

If he could be had in the 10-12 mill range, would you take the gamble? If it pans out, it would be a steal of a move or a disaster if him and Rose get injured.

Depends how much you like to gamble.

Thoughts?

AUTOADVERT
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/29/2016  10:01 PM
How many boom or bust prospects can we have? Gordon's game is nice when healthy but the difference between him and Rose is if Rose gets hurt thwy can walk away at the end of the year. You will have to sign Gordon to a multi year deal and pray he lives to collect it.
~You can't run from who you are.~
SocraticBallin22

6/29/2016  10:05 PM
joec32033 wrote:How many boom or bust prospects can we have? Gordon's game is nice when healthy but the difference between him and Rose is if Rose gets hurt thwy can walk away at the end of the year. You will have to sign Gordon to a multi year deal and pray he lives to collect it.

That is definitely the huge risk involved. He could get injured; they both could get injured at the same time, and there goes your starting backcourt.

However, you cannot argue that, when healthy, he is probably the most talented SG in the free agent market and could be potentially had for cheap bc of aforementioned injury history. He can shoot; he can create his own shot. He has played with Rose before and Rose seems to want to play with him again. It could potentially be a lethal starting backcourt or an infirmary, which makes it a tough call for Uncle Phil...

meloanyk
Member: #5615

6/29/2016  10:12 PM
He would complement Rose offensively but not defensively , you cant have two weaker perimeter defenders especially without knowing if we will be able to sign a center to replace Lopez D . Hornachek said that finding that center is a priority over a sg right now as he knows that the abilty to run requires stops. Think sg will eventually be a 3 and D
joec32033
USA
6/29/2016  10:14 PM
meloanyk wrote:He would complement Rose offensively but not defensively , you cant have two weaker perimeter defenders especially without knowing if we will be able to sign a center to replace Lopez D . Hornachek said that finding that center is a priority over a sg right now as he knows that the abilty to run requires stops. Think sg will eventually be a 3 and D

I Really have been putting alot of thought into resigning Lance and using him as an oversized 2. He may be able to do it, and if you cant get a 2 without major question marka and high dollars, he may be able to fill the role.

chewy
Member: #3689

6/29/2016  10:14 PM
Not for 12 mil
John Starks is the greatest
joec32033
USA
6/29/2016  10:16 PM
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
joec32033 wrote:How many boom or bust prospects can we have? Gordon's game is nice when healthy but the difference between him and Rose is if Rose gets hurt thwy can walk away at the end of the year. You will have to sign Gordon to a multi year deal and pray he lives to collect it.

That is definitely the huge risk involved. He could get injured; they both could get injured at the same time, and there goes your starting backcourt.

However, you cannot argue that, when healthy, he is probably the most talented SG in the free agent market and could be potentially had for cheap bc of aforementioned injury history. He can shoot; he can create his own shot. He has played with Rose before and Rose seems to want to play with him again. It could potentially be a lethal starting backcourt or an infirmary, which makes it a tough call for Uncle Phil...

I can agree with all of that bit Rose and Gordon are the examples of smart move (Rose) and really dumb move (overpaying Gordon for multiple years). You can walk away from Rose if he gets snakebit. Gordon has a higher than average probability of turning into Allan Houston's extension based on past evidence.

SocraticBallin22

6/29/2016  10:17 PM
meloanyk wrote:He would complement Rose offensively but not defensively , you cant have two weaker perimeter defenders especially without knowing if we will be able to sign a center to replace Lopez D . Hornachek said that finding that center is a priority over a sg right now as he knows that the abilty to run requires stops. Think sg will eventually be a 3 and D

Another good argument. They would not be good together defensively but could be dynamic offensively. Depends where you put more stock into and the system. Also, if they could stay on the court.

SocraticBallin22

6/29/2016  10:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2016  10:20 PM
joec32033 wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:

I can agree with all of that bit Rose and Gordon are the examples of smart move (Rose) and really dumb move (overpaying Gordon for multiple years). You can walk away from Rose if he gets snakebit. Gordon has a higher than average probability of turning into Allan Houston's extension based on past evidence.

Hear ya. Multi-year deal is a huge risk. However, how about if you can land him for 3 for 33 or something like that. You'd have him from 28 to 31 years of age--the prime of his career and not that many years.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/29/2016  10:26 PM
Just don't see how you can overlook his injury history.

Talented player whose prime was 5 years ago, or so it would seem...has averaged about 52 games/year.

Wonder what kind of money he's looking for? Can you even think about giving him a 4 year contract??

The Rose connection is significant to me only if Gordon is willing to give us a discount- the numbers you throw out $10-12M are not terrible-if he gives us 70+games/year...which he only did once- his first year in the league.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
SocraticBallin22

6/29/2016  10:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2016  10:34 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Just don't see how you can overlook his injury history.

Talented player whose prime was 5 years ago, or so it would seem...has averaged about 52 games/year.

Wonder what kind of money he's looking for? Can you even think about giving him a 4 year contract??

The Rose connection is significant to me only if Gordon is willing to give us a discount- the numbers you throw out $10-12M are not terrible-if he gives us 70+games/year...which he only did once- his first year in the league.

Good point. Was thinking the same thing with the Rose connection. If Rose wants to play with him and recruits him, he can come at a discount to be the starting SG in New York and play alongside Rose. He could rejuvenate his career and it would be good for his marketing. I think a 3 year, 30 million dollar deal could be possible. And Noah also wants to play with Rose and come to NY, so we could get him for cheaper, too. Again, major injury risks but really talented players if they stay on court and a great starting 5, if healthy.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/29/2016  10:45 PM
joec32033 wrote:

I Really have been putting alot of thought into resigning Lance and using him as an oversized 2. He may be able to do it, and if you cant get a 2 without major question marka and high dollars, he may be able to fill the role.

Yup...

I've also wondered if Thomas can give us significant minutes at SG, too, especially if he's continued to work on this outside shooting, which was drastically improved last year.

Big thing is what Hornacek thinks about Thomas as a player, I suppose.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

6/29/2016  11:04 PM
I rather get a defensive wing who can shoot 3 pointers well in spot ups or catch and shoot situations. Who that player in free agency is I don't know.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/29/2016  11:05 PM
I feel like Gordon is more injury prone than Rose.
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
6/29/2016  11:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2016  11:05 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:I rather get a defensive wing who can shoot 3 pointers well in spot ups or catch and shoot situations. Who that player in free agency is I don't know.

It's Courtney Lee

(or Bazemore)

¿ △ ?
joec32033
USA
6/29/2016  11:06 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:I rather get a defensive wing who can shoot 3 pointers well in spot ups or catch and shoot situations. Who that player in free agency is I don't know.

It's Courtney Lee

(or Bazemore)

Lance

crzymdups
USA
6/29/2016  11:08 PM
joec32033 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

It's Courtney Lee

(or Bazemore)

Lance

Lance Thomas is an essential part of the team in my mind.

If you're refering to Lance Stephenson... I'm intrigued, but not sure he fits.

¿ △ ?
joec32033
USA
6/29/2016  11:15 PM
crzymdups wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

It's Courtney Lee

(or Bazemore)

Lance

I mean Thomas. I didnt appreciate him as much during rhe season, but the more i think about this kid, locking him up long term plus seeing if he could play the 2 would give us a player that may be as versatile as Kawai, and maybe they can develop him from there and refine his on court game. Its just the more he is talked about he seems kike a future leader/captain of this team.

Although, i like Stephenson too. Every good team needs a crazy guy to keep them on their toes.

crzymdups
USA
6/29/2016  11:28 PM
joec32033 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

It's Courtney Lee

(or Bazemore)

Lance

I mean Thomas. I didnt appreciate him as much during rhe season, but the more i think about this kid, locking him up long term plus seeing if he could play the 2 would give us a player that may be as versatile as Kawai, and maybe they can develop him from there and refine his on court game. Its just the more he is talked about he seems kike a future leader/captain of this team.

Although, i like Stephenson too. Every good team needs a crazy guy to keep them on their toes.

I agree about Lance Thomas - our best stretch of last season came while Lance was consistently playing great D and putting up double figures scoring off the bench. He's a great great piece. I hope we can keep him. I agree about the captain aspect, too.

Imagine closing out games with:

DRose (penetration and scoring)
Lee (3pt shooting and defense)
Lance (3pt shooting and defense)
Melo (a little bit of everything)
KP (a lot of everything)

¿ △ ?
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

6/30/2016  1:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2016  1:30 AM
I believe we have Lance Thomas early bird rights, so we can pay him a significant raise. Thomas fills in a need at the wing and off the bench. Interested in what Holiday can do. Galloway and Holiday give us two players who can play significant time at 2 guard off the bench. If Phil and Noah come to terms July 1, I expect them to opt for a 1 year investment at 2 guard. They would want to keep that capspace open in 2017-18 for a Westbrook etc.

That 1 year deal is where I could see Gordon have interest in NY. One year up your value like Afflalo, Thomas, Williams all did, and get a big pay out in 2017. Gordon is rumored to be one of the few bigger name free agents looking for a one year deal to up his value for future free agency.

The case for Eric Gordon...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy