Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/29/2016  8:32 PM
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:5 mill tops for this guy. He's a really good role player. He's not a guy you can give the ball to and tell him to make something happen. He might want a raise but how much are you willing to give him?

He might start for you, but he shouldn't get more than 25 mins a game. You still need a solid back up to split time. Jamal crawford would be a nice back up. Jeremy Lin would also. Eric Gordon... Marcus Thornton...

5 mill per year doesn't get you much these days. Given the inflation, his market rate will be around 10 mill, which would be reasonable for a starter, role player type.

So you are paying Courtney Lee 10 null a year to average 8 pts a game?

Didn't say he's worth that, but that's what his going rate will be on the market. You'd be paying him for his 3 and D capability. A team will probably give him more than that. If we can get him for 10, compared to Bazemore's or Fournier's 16 min, it will be a reasonable contract in today's market.

Well when the losing teams are done paying bums double what they deserve the Knicks will be paying guys with similar talent what they should be paid in order to build a strong team... basically what we've been doing since Phil had gotten here

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

6/29/2016  8:45 PM
EnySpree wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I'd do $12M for Courtney Lee. We need guard depth.

holy geeeeeeeeeeeez!

It's a 94m cap. That's pretty equivalent to Afflalo's $8m

Afflalo averaged 18pts a game one year... Courtney Lee had never gotten close to that. Affalo making 8 mill is his max. Courtney Lee should not be making close to that

I think you're missing the point which is that nobody is saying he's worth that much but with the cap rise he's going to get somewhere around that much no matter what anyone thinks. I saw something today that Austin Rivers wants $8 mil per and he's never been anything more then a backup PG and that was only when he got on the Clippers with daddy cause he wasn't even making any team before that.

EnySpree

6/29/2016  8:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2016  8:52 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
EnySpree wrote:5 mill tops for this guy. He's a really good role player. He's not a guy you can give the ball to and tell him to make something happen. He might want a raise but how much are you willing to give him?

He might start for you, but he shouldn't get more than 25 mins a game. You still need a solid back up to split time. Jamal crawford would be a nice back up. Jeremy Lin would also. Eric Gordon... Marcus Thornton...

Really good role players make more than $5m with a $94m cap and a $85m salary floor.

That isn't a judgment, that's just math.

I wish you guys would stop bringing up the cap.... if a dude is worth 5 mill then he should get 5 mil... not 8 mill just because there's more money to spend

It's a supply and demand driven market, you can't wish it away. It's how **** works...

Nope...

What's the difference between a bottle of patron in a club and a bottle of patron at the store? $300.... both will get you ****ed up and at home holding your junk by yourself at the end of the night. At least you still have the $300.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

6/29/2016  8:50 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:

holy geeeeeeeeeeeez!

Afflalo averaged 18pts a game one year... Courtney Lee had never gotten close to that. Affalo making 8 mill is his max. Courtney Lee should not be making close to that

I think you're missing the point which is that nobody is saying he's worth that much but with the cap rise he's going to get somewhere around that much no matter what anyone thinks. I saw something today that Austin Rivers wants $8 mil per and he's never been anything more then a backup PG and that was only when he got on the Clippers with daddy cause he wasn't even making any team before that.

I want Rihanna to blow me. Doesn't mean that will ever happen. We can't be a part of that fools market.

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

6/29/2016  9:00 PM
EnySpree wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Really good role players make more than $5m with a $94m cap and a $85m salary floor.

I wish you guys would stop bringing up the cap.... if a dude is worth 5 mill then he should get 5 mil... not 8 mill just because there's more money to spend

You have to bring up the cap, because the NBA and the NBAPA designed the system so that salaries are proportional to the cap.

Teams HAVE to spend 90% of the cap.

You've made up a low number that sounds right in hour head without any empirical basis to it.

No they opened up more money for teams to operate with. Not to increase individual salary across the board.

You're 100% wrong on both counts.

The cap is increasing because of a formula, not a decision.

The PLAYERS get a fixed percentage of revenue, period.

Revenue went up, so the players share went up.

Since the NBA has not changed the rules regarding roster size, that means by design, individual players are supposed to get more money.

Payroll HAS to increase.

The percentages of max salaries are going up.

You simply do not understand what the system is designed to do.

I'm not even sure what what you're intent is... You want D-League players on 10 day contracts making $5m dollars?

Again, salaries HAVE to go up, by CBA rules.

Courtney Lee should get 5 mill like I said and the Knicks should spread that 90% cap across the rest of the roster.

Then you're going to be paying non-rotation guys a LOT more money than THEY deserve, because if you decide to play below market prices, you won't find any players YOU deem worthy of $5m dollars. They'll all be playing on the other 29 teams for $8-10m.

It's like come on. Just because you can keep repeating that the cap went up and whatever you think that means for salaries, doesn't mean that's the right way to run a team.
\

It isn't the right or wrong way to run a team, it's the CBA-mandated way to run a team.

I can say this for certain, you have not once even looked at the implications of the arbitrary # you made up Lee.

I'd invite you to construct a hypothetical roster featuring players receiving salaries you think they deserve, but I know two things:

1.) You won't (anger is the point here, not reason)

2.) If you did, you'd fall well short of $94m.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/29/2016  9:01 PM
EnySpree wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

It's a supply and demand driven market, you can't wish it away. It's how **** works...

Nope...

What's the difference between a bottle of patron in a club and a bottle of patron at the store? $300.... both will get you ****ed up and at home holding your junk by yourself at the end of the night. At least you still have the $300.

Yes in a supply and demand driven market people still get to choose if they are willing to buy or sell at the market rate or not. But they don't get to choose the market rate - unfortunately.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knickoftime

6/29/2016  9:03 PM
EnySpree wrote:Well when the losing teams are done paying bums double what they deserve...

They'll be taken to court by the NBAPA.

Here's the NBA in the nuthshell

There isn't enough talent to go around for 30 teams.

But fans don't care which is why their TV deals have exploded.

Which means players HAVE to make a fixed percentage of staggering revenue.

Which means bums will get paid double what YOU arbitrarily feel like they should.

And there's no way around it.

Knickoftime

6/29/2016  9:04 PM
EnySpree wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Nope...

Being in the NBA means you HAVE to go the club.

Home isn't an option.

reub
Member: #6227

6/29/2016  9:42 PM
Some of you guys probably stopped going to the movies because it's not $5 any more. You have to live in the real world!
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/29/2016  9:45 PM
BRIGGS wrote:He said he wants 14mm minimum per year.
Sign Marcus Thornton for 3 mil and go with it.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
meloanyk
Member: #5615

6/29/2016  10:43 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Knicks will problably have to fill out the end of roster with some minimums who will likley not be NBA caliber. We have several holes to fill and it will be costly to fill out a rotation whether that be a top tier fa or a rather average player. A Batum at max or a Lee at ten plus seems excessive in both cases but that is the NBA pay scale today and some teams had more foresight than others. Like Noah and maybe he makes concessions to play in NYC but I somewhat dread hearing his asking price. As far as end of rotation somewhat maddening that both Thomas and Williams had little leverage last year and if you decide to sign why not likel locked in at lower prices or not sign at all. Instead Thomas was given a one year deal with a slight raise while Williams was arguably overpaid to then market yet still given an opt out. I understood Affalo's opt clause because his one year deal was below market. The one deal that turned out to be under market today and correctly termed was Lopez and that chip was traded away. Like to bring back Thomas and maybe even Williams but having a bit of sticker shock for marginal players

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/29/2016  11:03 PM
EnySpree wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:

holy geeeeeeeeeeeez!

I want Rihanna to blow me. Doesn't mean that will ever happen. We can't be a part of that fools market.

It's not a fool's market - it's the new reality. The cap is almost double what it was a mere three years ago.

Also, it means something to me that Noah is recruiting Lee. It means they like each other and it means we'll have good team chemistry. (And please don't say that means either of them should give us a discount, that's BS - would you take a discount because you liked your potential co-workers?)

Lee defends and is a team player and can hit the three. We don't need to pay for scoring average. I don't want another Afflalo. I want a better defender and more consistent deep threat and someone who passes the ball. Did y'all forget that Afflalo never passed? Maybe that's why he could average 18ppg??

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/29/2016  11:51 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

I love the idea of Thornton off the bench.

¿ △ ?
wargames
Member: #6053

6/30/2016  12:45 AM
crzymdups wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:

holy geeeeeeeeeeeez!

It's not a fool's market - it's the new reality. The cap is almost double what it was a mere three years ago.

Also, it means something to me that Noah is recruiting Lee. It means they like each other and it means we'll have good team chemistry. (And please don't say that means either of them should give us a discount, that's BS - would you take a discount because you liked your potential co-workers?)

Lee defends and is a team player and can hit the three. We don't need to pay for scoring average. I don't want another Afflalo. I want a better defender and more consistent deep threat and someone who passes the ball. Did y'all forget that Afflalo never passed? Maybe that's why he could average 18ppg??

At his age the issue is if he receives a long deal will he still be effective by the end of it.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/30/2016  1:03 AM
wargames wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:

holy geeeeeeeeeeeez!

At his age the issue is if he receives a long deal will he still be effective by the end of it.

Phil isn't likely to hand out any long deals to lower tier players. I think Phil is smart about the contracts he hands out.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

6/30/2016  1:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2016  1:14 AM
I like the Noah signing good vocal vet leader nice guy to teach KP how to be a pros pro.

But Lee for 14 mil would be silly , 5 mil ok but he is not a starter in this league.

Would rather offer shved 5 mil money to come back. And sign Jamal Crawford as our six man

Shved can also play pg

Noah,???
KP,dwill
Melo,lance,early
Shved,craw,holiday
Rose,shved

Also Jordan clarkson anyone

fitzfarm

6/30/2016  1:20 AM
fitzfarm

6/30/2016  1:22 AM

How on earth did fish talk Phil into signing seraphim over shved blows my mind

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/30/2016  1:42 AM
I guess if Jo gets 18-20mm and Lee gets 14mm thats our FA load.
RIP Crushalot😞
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

6/30/2016  1:45 AM
BRIGGS wrote:I guess if Jo gets 18-20mm and Lee gets 14mm thats our FA load.

they dont listen to us briggs...THEY DONT LISTEN TO US!! we can pontificate on this board about drafting sleepers, international talents and free agents...but the bottom line is they just want to win now to appease melo and the rabid fan base

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
Courtney Lee and his potential salary

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy