[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks set meeting with Durant
Author Thread
fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

6/26/2016  10:42 AM
http://dailyknicks.com/2016/06/26/knicks-rumors-new-york-sets-meeting-with-kevin-durant/
AUTOADVERT
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

6/26/2016  11:11 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2016  11:15 AM
OK, that's good to know. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you hear. Not holding my breath but let's see what happens. Again, you figure there's some good pieces to our puzzle already in place that could attract him: his buddy Melo, D-Rose, KP, Phil Jackson, Jeff Hornacek...

To me any sit-down with KD should involve the following -- (1) they need to probably give him a good explanation on why Fish got canned (better than any explanation we ever got -- if it was the losing coupled with the Matt Barnes situation, maybe you be straight with him and tell him that) and (2) Melo should tell KD he's willing to come off the bench if need be. How cool of Melo would that be? I've never been convinced Melo and KD on the court at the same time would really work anyway (only 1 basketball to go around) and we probably don't want KP playing the 5 at this point, if ever. If I'm Melo and I'm serious about winning a ring in NY and serious about recruiting and bringing KD here--that's what it might take. That would be putting our best foot forward. Could Melo do that? Could he check his monster ego at the door to get him here? I dunno. My gut tells me no, I just don't think he's capable of even contemplating a sacrifice like that, but who knows. I wonder if he or Phil have even thought about that.

kNYks342
Member: #466
6/26/2016  11:24 AM
Why would Melo come off the bench? The guy is still our best player. Dude leads our team in Pts, Reb, and assists, and all of a sudden he needs to come off the bench? That's crazy !! Durant and Melo are different players. If we are going to be competitive Melo and Durant need to coexist. You don't take your two best players and tell them they can't play with each other. I think what Durant needs to see is how he fits in. A starting lineup of Drose, Durant, Melo, Kristaps abs Noah would be the best lineup in the east. Period.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/26/2016  11:29 AM
The source is Tommy Dee. No one else has reported it. He tweeted this yesterday. I think they get a meeting with KD but I don't think it is set yet.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/26/2016  11:33 AM
July 1st... none of this means anything until teams can legally contact players
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Finestrg
Member: #1069

6/26/2016  11:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2016  11:49 AM
kNYks342 wrote:Why would Melo come off the bench? The guy is still our best player. Dude leads our team in Pts, Reb, and assists, and all of a sudden he needs to come off the bench? That's crazy !! Durant and Melo are different players. If we are going to be competitive Melo and Durant need to coexist. You don't take your two best players and tell them they can't play with each other. I think what Durant needs to see is how he fits in. A starting lineup of Drose, Durant, Melo, Kristaps abs Noah would be the best lineup in the east. Period.

I couldn't disagree more. How is it crazy?? And how are they not similar players?? They're both high volume scoring machines that play the same positions and occupy the same spots on the floor. Look, Melo and Amar'e had problems and they didn't really play the same positions nor occupy the same spots on the court -- and that didn't work well for the most part. Not saying they couldn't play together definitively. They could in spurts I suppose..Maybe they could but you don't think deep down both players have their doubts about it, esp. KD? He's the one with the big decision to make. It'd be nice for Melo to make the decision that much easier for him. I mean what's important to Melo at this point? He's got his all-star game appearances, his scoring titles, the Olympic success, millions of dollars in the bank...To me, if he was truly concerned about winning #1 he'd at least think about a sacrifice like this. How bad does he want KD here? And you really see Durant as a SG? You're not the first one who's suggested that -- not sure I see it though. Would he even want to do that? And if we got KD where's the money for Noah coming from? Even if there would be enough left over to make Noah a respectable offer (along the line of what he'll be looking for), do we blow it on Noah or look to use it on some additional guard upgrades that we'd still need?

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

6/26/2016  1:56 PM
Finestrg wrote:
kNYks342 wrote:Why would Melo come off the bench? The guy is still our best player. Dude leads our team in Pts, Reb, and assists, and all of a sudden he needs to come off the bench? That's crazy !! Durant and Melo are different players. If we are going to be competitive Melo and Durant need to coexist. You don't take your two best players and tell them they can't play with each other. I think what Durant needs to see is how he fits in. A starting lineup of Drose, Durant, Melo, Kristaps abs Noah would be the best lineup in the east. Period.

I couldn't disagree more. How is it crazy?? And how are they not similar players?? They're both high volume scoring machines that play the same positions and occupy the same spots on the floor. Look, Melo and Amar'e had problems and they didn't really play the same positions nor occupy the same spots on the court -- and that didn't work well for the most part. Not saying they couldn't play together definitively. They could in spurts I suppose..Maybe they could but you don't think deep down both players have their doubts about it, esp. KD? He's the one with the big decision to make. It'd be nice for Melo to make the decision that much easier for him. I mean what's important to Melo at this point? He's got his all-star game appearances, his scoring titles, the Olympic success, millions of dollars in the bank...To me, if he was truly concerned about winning #1 he'd at least think about a sacrifice like this. How bad does he want KD here? And you really see Durant as a SG? You're not the first one who's suggested that -- not sure I see it though. Would he even want to do that? And if we got KD where's the money for Noah coming from? Even if there would be enough left over to make Noah a respectable offer (along the line of what he'll be looking for), do we blow it on Noah or look to use it on some additional guard upgrades that we'd still need?

I don't see any issue with Melo/Durant playing together and I don't see any reason why we couldn't go long with KD at the SG and lots of switching on D. Would love to see teams trying to get good defensive match ups on all of Rose, KP, Durant and Melo. I just think all of these guys would be smart enough to play off each other.

knicks1248
Member: #582
6/26/2016  2:23 PM
Finestrg wrote:

The knicks are very set at the SF and PF position with melo and KP ( who can play both positions) Going after KD is a duediligence thing to me, he knows this, and they know it.

The knicks have glaring weaknesses in many other area's

ES
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

6/26/2016  3:41 PM
first dinner with melo now this
https://twitter.com/TJDhoops/status/747097303580704770/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
reub
Member: #6227

6/26/2016  4:32 PM
I think it's important that we sign Noah on day one so that it gets KD's attention and he sees what he could have here. This could put us over the top in acquiring him.
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

6/26/2016  5:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2016  7:43 PM
Finestrg wrote:OK, that's good to know. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you hear. Not holding my breath but let's see what happens. Again, you figure there's some good pieces to our puzzle already in place that could attract him: his buddy Melo, D-Rose, KP, Phil Jackson, Jeff Hornacek...

To me any sit-down with KD should involve the following -- (1) they need to probably give him a good explanation on why Fish got canned (better than any explanation we ever got -- if it was the losing coupled with the Matt Barnes situation, maybe you be straight with him and tell him that) and (2) Melo should tell KD he's willing to come off the bench if need be. How cool of Melo would that be? I've never been convinced Melo and KD on the court at the same time would really work anyway (only 1 basketball to go around) and we probably don't want KP playing the 5 at this point, if ever. If I'm Melo and I'm serious about winning a ring in NY and serious about recruiting and bringing KD here--that's what it might take. That would be putting our best foot forward. Could Melo do that? Could he check his monster ego at the door to get him here? I dunno. My gut tells me no, I just don't think he's capable of even contemplating a sacrifice like that, but who knows. I wonder if he or Phil have even thought about that.

Im sure thats not Phil's plan or anyone else's. Get KD so that he can put his other All Star on the bench? You want several scoring threats on the floor at the same time. The new NBA is no longer made up of traditional 3, 4 and 5's. And you said Amare didn't work out? Ever consider that he just was not healthy or good enough?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/26/2016  7:27 PM
Spree and Houston worked so why couldn't Melo and Durant? I know they are different players but it's not like trying to fit Amare and Melo together who clearly don't mesh.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
blkexec
Member: #748
6/26/2016  7:50 PM
OasisBU wrote:Spree and Houston worked so why couldn't Melo and Durant? I know they are different players but it's not like trying to fit Amare and Melo together who clearly don't mesh.

PG Rose
SG (Shooter)
SF Durrant
PF Melo
C KP

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
6/27/2016  10:49 AM
blkexec wrote:
OasisBU wrote:Spree and Houston worked so why couldn't Melo and Durant? I know they are different players but it's not like trying to fit Amare and Melo together who clearly don't mesh.

PG Rose
SG (Shooter)
SF Durrant
PF Melo
C Kp

In today's NBA structure and system, that knicks lineup will be heavily exposed especially with KP in the middle.. KP will be pushed around the paint with other centers who will get him in foul woes.... Teams that can go small ball, will expose the knicks defensive weakness.

melo at the 3 and KP and 4 then getting a true defensive center that would set the tone defensively teamwise would be the best bet..

The Future. GO KNICKS!
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/27/2016  10:52 AM
I hope if Durant doesn't meet with the Knicks, Tommy Dee finally comes clean and admits he just makes this **** up. He said the Knicks had agreed to a deal with Blatt, too. I think he just makes up stuff and hopes it comes true. If it does he was the first to "report" it. If it doesn't he just says "it was what I was hearing at the time, but things changed." There was another thing he completely made up that didn't come true, too, but I forget what it was.
¿ △ ?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/27/2016  11:07 AM
crzymdups wrote:I hope if Durant doesn't meet with the Knicks, Tommy Dee finally comes clean and admits he just makes this **** up. He said the Knicks had agreed to a deal with Blatt, too. I think he just makes up stuff and hopes it comes true. If it does he was the first to "report" it. If it doesn't he just says "it was what I was hearing at the time, but things changed." There was another thing he completely made up that didn't come true, too, but I forget what it was.

I don't believe he's just making things up. It's possible that he just has bad sources. I do remember that there were a lot of reports that Blatt did well in his interview and it's not hard to believe that there were some positive statements made by Knicks brass that got overheard.
Getting scoops is a tough business. Not everyone is a Woj.

This is the actual Tweet you're talking about:

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/27/2016  11:09 AM
Has anyone noticed this?

The long-shot Knicks would like a sit down with Durant — he can play shooting guard — but nothing has been confirmed.

Noah
KP
Melo
KD
Rose

How's them apples? Yes, provided they all stay healthy for more than 50 games together.
Please stop with the KD and Melo are the same player BS. When has anyone ever said KD is a bully ball player? Or a part-time PF?

Melo on the bench. Yeah, that makes sense. In the Olympics 4 years ago, maybe.

crzymdups
USA
6/27/2016  11:12 AM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I hope if Durant doesn't meet with the Knicks, Tommy Dee finally comes clean and admits he just makes this **** up. He said the Knicks had agreed to a deal with Blatt, too. I think he just makes up stuff and hopes it comes true. If it does he was the first to "report" it. If it doesn't he just says "it was what I was hearing at the time, but things changed." There was another thing he completely made up that didn't come true, too, but I forget what it was.

I don't believe he's just making things up. It's possible that he just has bad sources. I do remember that there were a lot of reports that Blatt did well in his interview and it's not hard to believe that there were some positive statements made by Knicks brass that got overheard.
Getting scoops is a tough business. Not everyone is a Woj.

This is the actual Tweet you're talking about:

I guess we'll see if Durant meets with the Knicks. Doesn't seem like Durant is trying to be secretive about this process. His agent is Jay-Z's team - they're based in NY and they've basically announced who they are meeting with. Knicks aren't on the list. Why would they need to keep it a secret if they were meeting with the Knicks? Why would Tommy Dee be the only one to know this information? Just seems like a desperate ploy to be "right" about something. Time will tell.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
6/27/2016  11:17 AM
From this mornings papers - seems like Tommy Dee is just making things up again.

The Knicks don’t have a meeting set up with Kevin Durant, who will be with Carmelo Anthony at a press conference Monday to announce the US Olympic Team. Durant has spent the past several days in New York, where his Roc Nation agency is based.

The Vertical reported six teams — Warriors, Heat, Celtics, Clippers, Spurs and Thunder — will meet with Durant on July 1. Durant won’t even meet with the Wizards, his hometown team. On Sunday, the Oklahoman listed the top eight contenders for Durant and the Knicks were missing from the list.

¿ △ ?
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/27/2016  2:43 PM

Hopefully Melo paid the the dinner they had the other day...

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Knicks set meeting with Durant

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy